PDA

View Full Version : Alanis Morissette song "You Oughta Know" is about:

Jake
03-19-2004, 10:57 PM
I was parusing thru snoopes.com (don't ask me why) and came across the Alanis Morissette part. http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/oughta.htm

they mention that it's 'undetermined' who the song is about, and might be about the unfunny funny guy from Full House.

Here's where it gets interesting.

I'm 90% sure I know who the song is about. Before I mention who I'm sure it is and why I think that, I was under the impression that it was fairly common knowledge who the song was about. I would think some of our Canadian friends would know exactly who it is about.

so, before I say who it is (I'll wait a day or so), does anyone have any legit guesses/hypothesis' to whom it is?

Fasttaurus28
03-19-2004, 11:21 PM
was it you?

MelissaDMBfan
03-19-2004, 11:22 PM
I have always heard it was about Joey from Full house.

number4one
03-19-2004, 11:39 PM
I have always heard it was about Joey from Full house.
agreed

BustedFairyTale
03-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Yup, I always thought it was Dave Coulier. Though I'm curious about who you think it is if it's not him. I heard another rumour but am pretty damnnnn sure that it's not that person.

mmazz72
03-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Neil Young?

John Candy?

i'm out of guesses.

1eyed_jack
03-19-2004, 11:51 PM
i knew it, it's kimmy gibler!

what do i win?

katedid81
03-19-2004, 11:54 PM
"you you oughta know!"

JustinRIT
03-19-2004, 11:56 PM
John Candy :lol, classic.

onesweetworld15
03-20-2004, 01:11 AM
John Candy... the only white guy in Cool Runnings, the only fat guy in Uncle Buck. A pioneering man. He was hilarious.

willnole
03-20-2004, 01:21 AM
i knew it, it's kimmy gibler!

what do i win?
:thumbsup

Jake
03-20-2004, 11:00 AM
I really think that someone from Canada would know.

here's a hint: it's an athlete.

GLR87
03-20-2004, 11:37 AM
If its an athlete then it must be Stephanine Tanner and her Tanner Twister, Oh yeah Im sure there not on full house, Oh and there from canada

Wayne Gretzky

gloco
03-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Lyrics from "Unsent"

Unsent

dear matthew: I like you a lot I realize you're in a relationship with someone right now and I respect
that I would like you to know that if you're ever single in the future and you want to come visit me in california
I would be open to spending time with you and finding out how old you were when you wrote your first song

dear jonathan: I liked you too much I used to be attracted to boys who would lie to me and think solely about themselves and
you were plenty self-destructive for my taste at the time I used to say the more tragic the better the truth is
whenever I think of the early 90's your face comes up with a vengeance like it was yesterday

dear terrance: I love you muchly you've been nothing but open hearted and emotionally available and supportive
and nurturing and consummately there for me I kept drawing you in and pushing you away I remember
how beautiful it was to fall asleep on your couch and cry in front of you for the first time you were the best platform from
which to jump beyond myself what was wrong with me

dear marcus: you rocked my world you had a charismatic way about you with the women and you got me
seriously thinking about spirituality and you wouldn't let me get away with kicking my own ass but I could never really feel
and it's kinda too bad because we could've had much more fun

dear lou: we learned so much I realize we won't be able to talk for some time and I understand that as I do you
the long distance thing was the hardest and we did as well as we could we were together during a very tumultuous time
in our lives I will always have your back and be curious about you and your career your whereabouts

TheFathomist
03-20-2004, 03:08 PM
I was parusing thru snoopes.com (don't ask me why) and came across the Alanis Morissette part. http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/oughta.htm

they mention that it's 'undetermined' who the song is about, and might be about the unfunny funny guy from Full House.

You are gonna have to be alot more specifc than "the unfunny guy from Full House. But yeah, I had heard the Joey rumor. Supposedly about 1/2 of Jagged Little Pill is about that guy.

1eyed_jack
03-20-2004, 09:10 PM
You are gonna have to be alot more specifc than "the unfunny guy from Full House. But yeah, I had heard the Joey rumor. Supposedly about 1/2 of Jagged Little Pill is about that guy.

cut it out

man that was the worst saying ever, and everyone would do those stupid hand motions

CrushDMB
03-20-2004, 11:38 PM
Alexandre Daigle

Jake
03-20-2004, 11:40 PM
Alexandre Daigle

close. but wrong team.

I'll give the answer to whom I believe it is and why on Sunday.

craigw26
03-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Mike Peluso

Jake
03-21-2004, 05:12 PM
here's the way I understand the song came about:

Alanis was dating Felix Potvin, then of the Toronto Maple Leafs. She wrote the song about him b/c he ditched her for some younger girl (she was pretty young at the time anyway). This was fairly well known at ESPN, and that's where I got the info (I worked there back in the late 90's).

during the Maple Leafs hilights, the sportscasters used to say, when Potvin would be beat on a goal, "You Oughta Know...", or "That's a Jagged Little Pill to swallow..." and other pithy comments that sportscasters make to show they're hip (booyea!!).

Potvin once even complained to Barry Melrose about it, as the story went.

that is why I believe, and well thought everyone knew, that You Oughta Know is about Felix Potvin.

1eyed_jack
03-21-2004, 05:47 PM
here's the way I understand the song came about:

Alanis was dating Felix Potvin, then of the Toronto Maple Leafs. She wrote the song about him b/c he ditched her for some younger girl (she was pretty young at the time anyway). This was fairly well known at ESPN, and that's where I got the info (I worked there back in the late 90's).

during the Maple Leafs hilights, the sportscasters used to say, when Potvin would be beat on a goal, "You Oughta Know...", or "That's a Jagged Little Pill to swallow..." and other pithy comments that sportscasters make to show they're hip (booyea!!).

Potvin once even complained to Barry Melrose about it, as the story went.

that is why I believe, and well thought everyone knew, that You Oughta Know is about Felix Potvin.

i still say its about dan akroyd

scoot_14
03-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Very interesting.

kas141
03-22-2004, 11:14 AM
dear matthew: I like you a lot I realize you're in a relationship with someone right now and I respect
that I would like you to know that if you're ever single in the future and you want to come visit me in california
I would be open to spending time with you and finding out how old you were when you wrote your first song

Good thing Dave married Ashley. Dave + Alanis = yuck.

slfairless
03-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Never knew this, I always thought it was Joey too, but this is a very interesting inside scoop :D

BotheBOFan
02-12-2006, 12:11 PM

actually, I heard 5/6ths of that album is about him.

Pengin4192
02-12-2006, 02:22 PM
actually, I heard 5/6ths of that album is about him.
You seriously searched this out and found it to say that?

BotheBOFan
02-12-2006, 02:22 PM
eh not really, it just kinda happened.

MistreatedLewis
02-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Dave Coulier has said it is about him. Which is hilarious, if true.

MistreatedLewis
02-12-2006, 02:24 PM

Yeah, the two biggest rumors have always been him and Dave Coulier.

I guess it doesn't really matter which it is.

BotheBOFan
02-12-2006, 02:25 PM
he needs the press.

but uh, Hands Clean is abnout some else she was fucking...while she was 15.

whichi if true, is really sad, becasue she wasn't very good looking back then, nor in the JLP days.

MoBb
02-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Makes me think of the CYE episode when Alanis M tells Larry David what the song was about..Great episode.

Jake
02-12-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm still convinced it's about Potvin.

afritsch
02-12-2006, 03:57 PM
The thought of someone writing that song about Joey Gladstone just seems ridiculous.

MistreatedLewis
02-12-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm still convinced it's about Potvin.

But you have to ask the question: Does it really matter who it is about?

Jake
02-12-2006, 05:02 PM
But you have to ask the question: Does it really matter who it is about?

it does to Potvin.

MistreatedLewis
02-12-2006, 05:05 PM
it does to Potvin.

If the song is about him that's probably not true. Sounds like she wrote the song because whoever it was about didn't give a flying fuck about what she thought. :)

BotheBOFan
07-20-2008, 01:53 AM
Hello sir.

Arby
07-20-2008, 01:58 AM
What the fuck are you doing, Partner?

Ev42
07-20-2008, 02:47 AM
Hello sir.

hello to you sir