Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Greatest Defensive Play ...Ever?(Baseball) (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=143341)

2stepsoright 08-10-2005 06:18 PM

Greatest Defensive Play ...Ever?(Baseball)

David Wright from last night.
Here is a link to the video page, just open the video without reading the story.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/g...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

TheMadViolin 08-10-2005 06:24 PM

Re: Greatest Defensive Play ...Ever?(Baseball)

Spectacular, yes. Not even close to the best ever. I'm not even sure if I put it above Ichiro's scaling of the wall this year.

Mickey Carson 08-10-2005 06:27 PM

Kevin Mitchell's barehanded catch was more impressive to me than that, although it's obviously a great play.

Ozzie Smith, with the Padres, barehanding a hard-hit grounder that took a bad hop was a thousand times better.

Edmonds diving towards the centerfield wall...Griffey, Jr. scaling the centerfield wall was incredible.

2stepsoright 08-10-2005 06:28 PM

Yeah, I wouln't put it as the best ever, just thought it was a great play. Couldn't think of a better thread title, plus it promotes discussion.

TheMadViolin 08-10-2005 06:34 PM

well now I just feel manipulated :)

300xxx 08-10-2005 06:38 PM

even though i hate the yanks....jeters toss to home is still amazing to watch, not the best ever, but up there

dmbphan041 08-10-2005 06:42 PM

that was hot

paris72 08-10-2005 06:47 PM

Meh, I did that last week

cbsauder 08-10-2005 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey Carson
Kevin Mitchell's barehanded catch was more impressive to me than that, although it's obviously a great play.

Ozzie Smith, with the Padres, barehanding a hard-hit grounder that took a bad hop was a thousand times better.

Edmonds diving towards the centerfield wall...Griffey, Jr. scaling the centerfield wall was incredible.

the ozzie play was spectacular... as was jeter's toss.

ryguy178 08-10-2005 07:18 PM

Ozzie's smith barehanded bad-hop diving catch gets my vote for the best ever as well.

justinandimcool 08-10-2005 08:01 PM

Jeter diving headfirst into the stands?

lillerfm 08-10-2005 08:07 PM

Yeah, I hate him, but I think Jeter's face-plant into the stands was a better play.

dmbgodagirl41 08-10-2005 08:11 PM

holy shit.

although not defensive, i still think izzy alcantara was amazing with his offensive play :lol

Wildmoose31 08-10-2005 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300xxx
even though i hate the yanks....jeters toss to home is still amazing to watch, not the best ever, but up there

Not even close, Omar Visquel made nearly the exact same play a few weeks earlier and you never hear of that. Now him diving in the stands is up there but still not close to the best

Wildmoose31 08-10-2005 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbgodagirl41
holy shit.

although not defensive, i still think izzy alcantara was amazing with his offensive play :lol

Yes, that was my favorite baseball moment ever, and some really good thinking by izzy, though its a shame he didnt last after that

PilotC150 08-10-2005 08:13 PM

I still think Jeter's diving into the stands was a case of overacting. Sure he was running fast, but he could have stopped if it wanted, he had about 15 feet to do it, IIRC.

Wildmoose31 08-10-2005 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotC150
I still think Jeter's diving into the stands was a case of overacting. Sure he was running fast, but he could have stopped if it wanted, he had about 15 feet to do it, IIRC.

I agree, a faster short stop makes it there and slows down, now if he made the catch while diving that would be something but he definitley had some good room from catching it to the wall

justinandimcool 08-10-2005 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildmoose31
Not even close, Omar Visquel made nearly the exact same play a few weeks earlier and you never hear of that. Now him diving in the stands is up there but still not close to the best

I don't know about saying "not close to the best", it takes major balls to do something like jump into the stands landing God knows what, and it's rare to see something as "dangerous" nowadays.

dmbgodagirl41 08-10-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Yes, that was my favorite baseball moment ever, and some really good thinking by izzy, though its a shame he didnt last after that

i know! how good of an idea is it to kick the catcher and rush the mound with the bat? I mean, it really is a horrible idea, but from a "i wanna win this fight" point of view, its amazing.

They need more Izzys in the world :D

justinandimcool 08-10-2005 08:17 PM

Quote:

I agree, a faster short stop makes it there and slows down, now if he made the catch while diving that would be something but he definitley had some good room from catching it to the wall

Oh, he didn't make the catch while diving? Eh, my memory's gone down the drain.

demar727 08-10-2005 08:18 PM

hey.. thumbs up to my sister's friend :thumbsup

what a catch

1eyed_jack 08-10-2005 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinandimcool
Jeter diving headfirst into the stands?

screw that. most overated play ever maybe. he caught it and then jumped in the stands but he easily made the catch before he went into the stands. funny thing is that same night someone made a catch where they really were diving into the stands, but he wasn't derek jeter so nobody even talked about it

flyer3468 08-10-2005 08:20 PM

Ozzie Smith, bitches!

dmbgodagirl41 08-10-2005 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack
screw that. most overated play ever maybe. he caught it and then jumped in the stands but he easily made the catch before he went into the stands. funny thing is that same night someone made a catch where they really were diving into the stands, but he wasn't derek jeter so nobody even talked about it

well jeter has to get attention. i mean, it is hard to find a halfway decent ball player who is also a homosexual.

ModestMouse2003 08-10-2005 08:37 PM

Ozzie Smith's was pure amazement. He wins.

justinandimcool 08-10-2005 08:40 PM

Then there's Walt Weiss, mainly because of all the pressure in the situation

ExistenceNow 08-10-2005 08:44 PM

Quote:

hands down the greatest play of all time.

Bswartz95 08-10-2005 08:51 PM

Ozzie Smith's barehanded grounder or one of numerous Omar Vizquel plays. He is amazing.

ethaxton 08-10-2005 08:52 PM

Meh, Otis Nixon scaling the center field wall to snag a homer from andy van slyke (i think it was him) was prob one of the better plays ive seen. That was a fantastic catch though.

justink 08-10-2005 09:51 PM

Quote:

:thumbsup

exactly what i was going to say!!! left field in the Astrodome corner!!! :) one of the greatest catches ever... up there w/ willie mays!