Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Best/Cheapest place to buy "business professional" clothing (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=232196)

dreamingtreeIU 09-18-2008 12:38 AM

Best/Cheapest place to buy "business professional" clothing

I have to buy a lot of business professional clothing for internship interviews, club meetings and the like. I was wondering where I should go about shopping for these things ( Shirts, pants, shoes, a couple ties).

What are some good brands or stores to find them in? Any help would be great. I know that JC Penney has dress clothes and so do high-end stores, just wondering what the Average price of a shirt or pants runs.

Thanks,
Dustin

wnderwoman 09-18-2008 12:42 AM

Re: Best/Cheapest place to buy "business professional" clothing

I am not sure average pricing of men's clothing. But I know I have seen button down shirts and slacks at Target. They could have some good basic items at reasonable prices.

BotheLaneFan 09-18-2008 12:45 AM

Wal-Mart. Just cuz.

Aubrie 09-18-2008 01:10 AM

Ross?

BotheLaneFan 09-18-2008 01:13 AM

Marshalls.

eric81485 09-18-2008 04:26 AM

Steve and Barry's

buzz05232000 09-18-2008 04:26 AM

Goodwill

TrippingBrando 09-18-2008 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bothedmbfan (Post 8230529)
Marshalls.

I agree.

afritsch 09-18-2008 06:23 AM

jospeph a bank has good dress clothes, but i dont know how cheap they are really.

Beefsteak1138 09-18-2008 06:24 AM

Kohls

jiggajm18 09-18-2008 06:24 AM

in all honesty, i wouldn't go for professional clothes just because they are cheap. i've found that the cheapest clothes usually look cheap as well. i wouldn't recommend that if you are going for a professional interview.

jiggajm18 09-18-2008 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afritsch (Post 8230790)
jospeph a bank has good dress clothes, but i dont know how cheap they are really.

but they look good.

IMHO, the benefits to paying a little extra to look good at work and at interviews is greater than the extra cost. i know from experience.

Ascf33 09-18-2008 06:30 AM

Kohls

Cheapest/Nicest shit ever.

Ascf33 09-18-2008 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 (Post 8230792)
Kohls

:thumbsup :thumbsup

rconverse 09-18-2008 06:33 AM

Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Kohls

funktabulous 09-18-2008 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascf33 (Post 8230811)
Kohls

Cheapest/Nicest shit ever.

:thumbsup Kohls is awesome, just bought a couple of shirts there last weekend.

Ascf33 09-18-2008 06:36 AM

I abide by the cheap shirt, cheap pants, expensive tie motto. $17 shirt from Kohls, $20 Pants from Kohls, $40 tie from polo. Makes it all look good.

william.hosking 09-18-2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggajm18 (Post 8230796)
in all honesty, i wouldn't go for professional clothes just because they are cheap. i've found that the cheapest clothes usually look cheap as well. i wouldn't recommend that if you are going for a professional interview.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggajm18 (Post 8230799)
but they look good.

IMHO, the benefits to paying a little extra to look good at work and at interviews is greater than the extra cost. i know from experience.

I agree. The idea here is to look good in business professional clothing at a reasonable price. The idea should not be to look business professional for the cheapest price possible.

gregory311 09-18-2008 06:37 AM

Average price for a decent shirt: $50
Average price for a decent tie: $40
Average price for a decent pair of shoes: $120

Having said that, you can get lots of things cheaper at Steinmart, Marshall's and the like. They always have dress shirts and stuff for around $20.

A good suit is going to run you at least $400-500, perhaps more. Don't go for the "two suits for $200" deals. They aren't worth it in the long run.

You can do stuff on the cheap, but if you are planning on staying in the business world, it's better to buy quality clothing that will last you five years rather than buying shit that will fall apart in one.

I'm not saying hit up Hugo Boss for everything, but some things you just can't skimp on.

Hudak-Budak 09-18-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 8230823)
Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Kohls

This is the long and the short of it. Any of the cheap stuff from places like Steve and Barry's will fall apart after a week.

Ascf33 09-18-2008 06:38 AM

Shoes and Tie are the most important, IMO.

Never short change these two things.

jiggajm18 09-18-2008 06:39 AM

as someone who works in a professional environment, i can tell you - i can tell the difference between a $20 shirt and a $40 shirt as easy as i can tell the difference between the taste of a natty light and a sam adams.

trust me, go for what looks the best at a reasonable price. cheaper is not always better.

jiggajm18 09-18-2008 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascf33 (Post 8230848)

shirts are more important than ties. a cheap tie can look good. a cheap shirt almost never looks good.

Hudak-Budak 09-18-2008 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregory311 (Post 8230842)
Average price for a decent shirt: $50
Average price for a decent tie: $40
Average price for a decent pair of shoes: $120

Having said that, you can get lots of things cheaper at Steinmart, Marshall's and the like. They always have dress shirts and stuff for around $20.

A good suit is going to run you at least $400-500, perhaps more. Don't go for the "two suits for $200" deals. They aren't worth it in the long run.

You can do stuff on the cheap, but if you are planning on staying in the business world, it's better to buy quality clothing that will last you five years rather than buying shit that will fall apart in one.

I'm not saying hit up Hugo Boss for everything, but some things you just can't skimp on.

Last year, when I finally got a job that requires this kind of thing, I got a suit with a shirt, tie, shoes and a belt for around $550, I believe. Then, I picked up four pairs of pants (black, grey, charcoal, blue) and six dress shirts for, I think, another $600. All from Men's Wearhouse. You get a $50 gift card for every $500 you spend, so if you're starting out, it might be worth it for the freebies.

gregory311 09-18-2008 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggajm18 (Post 8230849)
as someone who works in a professional environment, i can tell you - i can tell the difference between a $20 shirt and a $40 shirt as easy as i can tell the difference between the taste of a natty light and a sam adams.

trust me, go for what looks the best at a reasonable price. cheaper is not always better.

Yup! And you also have to consider you are going to be wearing that stuff for reasons outside of work. Weddings, funerals, chairty functions (if you're into that), religious services, and so on.

Number41QT 09-18-2008 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascf33 (Post 8230848)

I agree on this for men....a business man's shoes can tell you a WHOLE lot about the type of life he leads.

I came in here not knowing it was asking about men's buisness attire...I'm not sure of the best place for men - but if any women have the same question Forever 21 has excellent schtuff :)

Ascf33 09-18-2008 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggajm18 (Post 8230850)
shirts are more important than ties. a cheap tie can look good. a cheap shirt almost never looks good.

I'm wearing a $17 shirt from Kohls right now and it looks damn good.

Ascf33 09-18-2008 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number41QT (Post 8230860)
I agree on this for men....a business man's shoes can tell you a WHOLE lot about the type of life he leads.

I came in here not knowing it was asking about men's buisness attire...I'm not sure of the best place for men - but if any women have the same question Forever 21 has excellent schtuff :)

:thumbsup :thumbsup

I agree.

gregory311 09-18-2008 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudak-Budak (Post 8230852)
Last year, when I finally got a job that requires this kind of thing, I got a suit with a shirt, tie, shoes and a belt for around $550, I believe. Then, I picked up four pairs of pants (black, grey, charcoal, blue) and six dress shirts for, I think, another $600. All from Men's Wearhouse. You get a $50 gift card for every $500 you spend, so if you're starting out, it might be worth it for the freebies.

Agreed. I just bought some stuff from S&K over the weekend that was 50% off because they're trying to move out summer inventory. Dress shirts for like $25-30.

You don't always have to wear a suit to the office, either. Dress pants, shirt and tie are considered business wear. I also recommend buying some jackets that are mixable with pants to extend your wardrobe.

jiggajm18 09-18-2008 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascf33 (Post 8230863)
I'm wearing a $17 shirt from Kohls right now and it looks damn good.

i bet if i saw you, i'd be able to tell that it was a shirt that you bought for under $20.