Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Next single(s)??? (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=255164)

julielisa 06-12-2009 10:29 AM

Next single(s)???

I was just checking out 101.9 KINKfm's (Portland, OR) new playlist and Why I Am and You & Me are officially on there. Nice. This station rocks. They also play all kinds of Dead. Sorry if this is old news.

mja271 06-12-2009 10:33 AM

Re: Next single(s)???

Cool for Why I Am, but I can't believe that Shake Me is not going to be a single from this album. That's a missed opportunity imo.

julielisa 06-12-2009 10:36 AM

I agree. It is my son's favorite. Every time we get in the car he asks to put it on.

warehouse1421 06-12-2009 10:38 AM

something tells me Why I Am would be a bigger hit than You and Me. i don't know

rkcrawf 06-12-2009 10:47 AM

Does the record company pick the singles (as opposed to the band)? I am also shocked that Shake Me would not be on that list.

I think Why I Am, while decent, will play into the incorrect stereotype that the band is musically bland. Same with You & Me. Maybe whoever is picking the song is bland. I don't expect to hear Seven or Squirm on the radio, but certainly My Baby Blue is better than You & Me. LITHOG and Dive In could certainly go on the radio. Spaceman could as well, but it's on the same level as Why I Am.

chiprip 06-12-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mja271 (Post 9625804)
Cool for Why I Am, but I can't believe that Shake Me is not going to be a single from this album. That's a missed opportunity imo.

Yeah, I disagreed when this was brought up before, but I have decided as well that not having Shake Me be the second single is a missed opoortunity.

rlcarr 06-12-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkcrawf (Post 9625909)
Does the record company pick the singles (as opposed to the band)? I am also shocked that Shake Me would not be on that list.

I think Why I Am, while decent, will play into the incorrect stereotype that the band is musically bland. Same with You & Me. Maybe whoever is picking the song is bland. I don't expect to hear Seven or Squirm on the radio, but certainly My Baby Blue is better than You & Me. LITHOG and Dive In could certainly go on the radio. Spaceman could as well, but it's on the same level as Why I Am.

No way they would pick Baby Blue as a single. It may be better, but just would not translate as a good single at all. You and Me could become Where are You Going-ish as a single. I think Why I Am is a great single choice, but I think SMLAM should without a question be one as well.

swarheely 06-12-2009 12:14 PM

i honestly dont see the issue with doing 4 singles, and think they should for for that, why i am obviously needs to be a single, and you and me is definitely single material, that could fit into tv shows and movies so easily, its just got great music and melody to catch peoples ear, baby blue, while beautiful, and i love it greatly, would not play as a single as well, but shake me like a monkey would certainly be an amazing single and could have an amazing video for it, so we can hope and wish for that as well

Lorentzen 06-12-2009 12:17 PM

On the sticker on the album it says including Funny, Why I Am and You and Me, so they will be the singles

temptedcandyman 06-12-2009 12:18 PM

They played SMLAM on XRT in Chicago like a week before the album dropped. I had not heard the whole tune yet and I almost died... it was awesome. I can't understand how it won't become a single.

Lorentzen 06-12-2009 12:21 PM

Yeah I'd say they should have chosen SMLAM perhaps instead of Why I Am

WaltzingBack 06-12-2009 12:34 PM

i think Why I Am is a great choice. it captures the spirit of the album but it's catchy enough to hook new people. and it is definitely not musically bland, whoever said that. the way they transition between different time signatures is very impressive, and the drumming is nuts. anyone who knows a thing or two about music but never listened to DMB will probably be converted with WIA.

42km 06-13-2009 01:28 PM

The singles should have been:
1. SMLAM
2. Why I AM
3. Dive In (yes..Dive In !! )

buzz05232000 06-13-2009 04:10 PM

A lot of people (not extremely into the band) say You and Me are their favorites, this is just my first hand account, not sure if it's a natural occurrence

inmytree 06-13-2009 04:16 PM

The next single probably will be, and should be Why I Am. Their best single since Grey Street.

inmytree 06-13-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaltzingBack (Post 9626567)
i think Why I Am is a great choice. it captures the spirit of the album but it's catchy enough to hook new people. and it is definitely not musically bland, whoever said that. the way they transition between different time signatures is very impressive, and the drumming is nuts. anyone who knows a thing or two about music but never listened to DMB will probably be converted with WIA.

I don't get how this song could be considered bland. Disliking it? Sure. But bland? Space Between is bland. Dreamgirl is bland. Nickelback is bland. Why I Am is very, very far from bland.

jas230314 06-13-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42km (Post 9631612)
The singles should have been:
1. SMLAM
2. Why I AM
3. Dive In (yes..Dive In !! )

Replace why i am with Funny the way it is, and possible add You and Me as another single, and this is right on, in my opinion.

Dive in SCREAMS Coldplay-esque catchy music, and the masses would eat it up.

jas230314 06-13-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inmytree (Post 9632191)
The next single probably will be, and should be Why I Am. Their best single since Grey Street.

I just dont understand the love for why i am. Great lyrics, disappointing riff and its a little heavy (tim wise) for me. I take funny the way it is over why i am any day.:shrug

inmytree 06-13-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas230314 (Post 9632226)
I just dont understand the love for why i am. Great lyrics, disappointing riff and its a little heavy (tim wise) for me. I take funny the way it is over why i am any day.:shrug

Great lyrics, fine riff, awesome musicianship, heartfelt vocals, cool melody, great Tim work, nice Roi line, Carter Beauford very much being Carter Beauford, great concept, up-tempo, etc. I could go on.

It's heavy Tim-wise, but I don't really mind there being an electric guitar in DMB music. I know some people have a coronary like they're violating some unplugged oath that the band has, but it's fine by me. I like electric guitars. Most of the music I listen to has them.

ripburn 06-13-2009 05:06 PM

I think shake me like a monkey should be on the single. :monkey

dmatthews06 06-13-2009 05:33 PM

Seven would be an amazing single. It's one of those songs that grows on you the more you listen to it, and it's ridiculously catchy.

trippingant 06-17-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorentzen (Post 9626453)
On the sticker on the album it says including Funny, Why I Am and You and Me, so they will be the singles

You're probably right, but this isn't always the case. If I remember correctly, BTCS listed Spoon on the sticker, Everyday had Angel and possibly WTWE, and BS had Digging A Ditch, none of which were singles.

They could easily do an unplanned 4th single with either Shake Me or Dive In, ala BTCS (Rapunzel) and Stand Up (Smooth Rider). Heck, UTTAD and Crash had 5 singles so its not out of the question.