Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Away From The World (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Progress updates - Stay on topic! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=307482)

nathan.davidson 02-15-2012 06:51 PM

Progress updates - Stay on topic!

Can anyone dig up the timeline from the release of Big Whiskey? If my memory serves me correctly, they're on similar studio schedules. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that they're on the same release schedule but it would be interesting to compare.

aggiekjw 02-15-2012 07:12 PM

Re: Progress updates

this is all very speculative. I think the big whiskey sessions were spearheaded by management and the record company. The hype surrounding the album (site, videos, etc) were a creation of non-dmb people. thus, the timeline was extended because the record company hyped before much was done.

In these sessions, it seems as though they went to the studio on their own without record company influence. I say this because lillywhite was kept secret. If the sessions went well, they go to the company.. they go bad, nothing happens.. no pressure to make the album.. I think steve's latin tweet was a sign they had signalled to the record company they had a product.

because of this, I expect us to get a preorder page and that's it. I think the album will be released in before April, with little or no hype from dmb. I hope it happens even sooner via a download only format. I personally hate the process of leaks and such...

coolhotwaves 02-15-2012 08:38 PM

It will get as much hype as possible, it's what sells records these days.

kanedmb 02-15-2012 09:46 PM

I don't think they're on similar studio schedules at all. DMB spent months in studios in New Orleans and Seattle just working out new songs and writing new songs. This album, Dave brought in material he'd been working on during the year, plus maybe a few songs left over from BW or from tours past ('04, '10) and they worked them out and recorded them in a month.

Panther41 02-16-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggiekjw (Post 13349770)
this is all very speculative. I think the big whiskey sessions were spearheaded by management and the record company. The hype surrounding the album (site, videos, etc) were a creation of non-dmb people. thus, the timeline was extended because the record company hyped before much was done.

In these sessions, it seems as though they went to the studio on their own without record company influence. I say this because lillywhite was kept secret. If the sessions went well, they go to the company.. they go bad, nothing happens.. no pressure to make the album.. I think steve's latin tweet was a sign they had signalled to the record company they had a product.

because of this, I expect us to get a preorder page and that's it. I think the album will be released in before April, with little or no hype from dmb. I hope it happens even sooner via a download only format. I personally hate the process of leaks and such...

Your words... they sound... logical, possibly even informed. I hope this is the case. :thumbsup

cmyers2 02-16-2012 08:13 AM

looking back at the big whiskey progress, Jan 1, 2009 was the first NOLA session, and if you check out Dave's twitter when his account was active, I believe it was March 22, 2009 that he tweeted the album was done...and I believe BW was released June 2, 2009..........so given that timeline and the progress that we've heard from Rashawn, etc.....it seems like they are on track for a similar release date, May/June.............am I correct with my dates MR. STATS??

Dobler 02-16-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmyers2 (Post 13351449)
looking back at the big whiskey progress, Jan 1, 2009 was the first NOLA session, and if you check out Dave's twitter when his account was active, I believe it was March 22, 2009 that he tweeted the album was done...and I believe BW was released June 2, 2009..........so given that timeline and the progress that we've heard from Rashawn, etc.....it seems like they are on track for a similar release date, May/June.............am I correct with my dates MR. STATS??

i'm sure MR. STATS will find some mistakes in this post..

mattyszow 02-16-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmyers2 (Post 13351449)

If memory serves me correctly, I feel like the original release date was supposed to be in April but then it got pushed back to June 2?

TheLastStop123 02-16-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattyszow (Post 13352823)
If memory serves me correctly, I feel like the original release date was supposed to be in April but then it got pushed back to June 2?

yes this is correct. they released the the first single "funny the way it is" in april (if I recall correctly) when the album was originally supposed to come out before it got pushed back to june.

ramiro24 02-16-2012 02:55 PM

why was BW pushed back anyways?...i prolly read the different stories or reasonings on here before but forget...

DukeBlueJD 02-16-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 (Post 13352842)
yes this is correct. they released the the first single "funny the way it is" in april (if I recall correctly) when the album was originally supposed to come out before it got pushed back to june.

Yep. The MSG "Album Release Party" show turned into "hey we just released this song today online."

cry_minarets458 02-16-2012 04:02 PM

Weren't they recording for Big Whiskey prior to the NOLA sessions? I mean, they did fall back on some of Roi's takes..

Also, I honestly thought they were in NOLA sooner than Jan. 1, 2009, but it was awhile ago, I could be wrong.

Jordan#41 02-23-2012 09:15 AM

The lack of info is kind of upsetting considering how "far along" they are in the studio process. All we know is Lillywhite is producing. I need more....

lastcall 02-23-2012 09:37 AM

when do you think they release some kinda promo/in-the-making video?

Funkhouser 02-23-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastcall (Post 13371561)

I am thinking next week when they send out an email saying the new live trax is officially out.

Jordan#41 02-23-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumlax15 (Post 13371588)
I am thinking next week when they send out an email saying the new live trax is officially out.

Do they usually send out an additional email once its officially released after the "pre-order" emails go out? I can't seem to remember them doing this...

Edit - Regarding Live Trax releases

Funkhouser 02-23-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan#41 (Post 13371611)
Do they usually send out an additional email once its officially released after the "pre-order" emails go out? I can't seem to remember them doing this...

Edit - Regarding Live Trax releases

I honestly don't remember. I figured they would...who knows. Either way I am sure we will hear some news shortly.

hmich176 02-23-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastcall (Post 13371561)

Maybe they won't release one.

Jordan#41 02-23-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmich176 (Post 13371663)
Maybe they won't release one.

They have to promote this album in some kind of fashion via the digital world. They won't only just play a few new tunes on tour and settle with a generic "The band is working with Lillywhite" email.

hmich176 02-23-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan#41 (Post 13371714)
They have to promote this album in some kind of fashion via the digital world. They won't only just play a few new tunes on tour and settle with a generic "The band is working with Lillywhite" email.

Maybe they should. They don't want to overhype the album and it's already there because of Lillywhite being in the studio with them. All they need to do is finish the album and give us a single and pre-order info. I think it makes sense for them to proceed quietly.

TMoore4075 02-23-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmich176 (Post 13371781)
Maybe they should. They don't want to overhype the album and it's already there because of Lillywhite being in the studio with them. All they need to do is finish the album and give us a single and pre-order info. I think it makes sense for them to proceed quietly.

For us this makes sense. For the regular world no way. They'll be something.

Jordan#41 02-23-2012 10:50 AM

I wonder if Dave will end up drawing the cover art again. Or if that was a one (or two if you count Pizza Box) time thing.

Funkhouser 02-23-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan#41 (Post 13371959)
I wonder if Dave will end up drawing the cover art again. Or if that was a one (or two if you count Pizza Box) time thing.

I hope so. The big whiskey cover art and insert is awesome.

bherd 02-23-2012 01:10 PM

Pretty sure they will not be returning to the studio (at least in Seattle) since Pearl Jam is going in next week or the week after to start recording a new album.

camptravisr 02-23-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan#41 (Post 13371959)

:thumbsup Fire Dancer and Big Whiskey...2 in a row. Might as well go for 3.

rantingthespian 02-23-2012 08:48 PM

Well, we most likely have lack of updates right now because Steve was in England receiving his C.B.E. from the Queen. Now Steve tweeted that he is heading back west (I assume to Seattle).

DMBCardinal 02-23-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmich176 (Post 13371781)

This doesn't make much sense to me. Why wouldn't they try to promote the album and increase sales?

Greyants41367 02-23-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camptravisr (Post 13373285)

that would make it the big 3 :eek

Panther41 02-24-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camptravisr (Post 13373285)

I wonder how many people realize just how *ancient* that firedancer design is? That putting it on the cover of "Stand Up" was just laziness in the design department, the DMB equivalent of using clipart?

Edit: Big Whiskey, of course, TOTALLY REDEEMED them. That shit is fantastic.

BruceW 02-24-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther41 (Post 13374442)
I wonder how many people realize just how *ancient* that firedancer design is? That putting it on the cover of "Stand Up" was just laziness in the design department, the DMB equivalent of using clipart?

Edit: Big Whiskey, of course, TOTALLY REDEEMED them. That shit is fantastic.

haha yea seriously I mean the firdancer shirt has been around almost 20 years...I could not believe it when that was the cover for stand up...lazy defined that record and the cover sums it up