Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Away From The World (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Which format(s) would you like to see the new album released on? (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=306895)

dobyblue 01-14-2012 09:50 AM

Which format(s) would you like to see the new album released on?

Multiple choice.

Vote for the format or formats you would like the new album to be released on.

This is only for the album, so I haven't included "CD+DVD" where there's a bonus disc or anything like that. Strictly for the studio album, which format/s would you like to see the new album released.

We're not going to see DualDisc, DVD-A or SACD, so those options and others like cassette and 8-track which are equally unlikely are also not included.

Obviously for physical formats #1 and #2 are most likely, but for the purposes of this poll that is irrelevant.

hmich176 01-14-2012 10:05 AM

Re: Which format(s) would you like to see the new album released on?

As I looked at all the options available, I ended up voting for everything. I don't see a reason against releasing them on any format of the above choices, except for Blu-ray (I don't think it would sell well). But I think that would be my second most preferred format after CD.

vaxarado 01-14-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmich176 (Post 13261838)
As I looked at all the options available, I ended up voting for everything. I don't see a reason against releasing them on any format of the above choices, except for Blu-ray (I don't think it would sell well). But I think that would be my second most preferred format after CD.

I meant to do the same. Apparently mis-clicked.

Yeah, I'm not sure about Blu-Ray, don't know the costs involved in order to release it (Doby, I'm sure you have a good idea) and whether the cost/benefit analysis would be high enough.

rickyh24 01-14-2012 10:14 AM

4LP Vinyl is all I need with a digital download.

#41Tom 01-14-2012 10:24 AM

i went only with CD because i'll only buy the CD

dobyblue 01-14-2012 10:48 AM

Forgot to put my choices:

1) tied 4LP 45rpm and the Blu-ray
3) regular vinyl
4) 24-bit download

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaxarado (Post 13261845)
Yeah, I'm not sure about Blu-Ray, don't know the costs involved in order to release it (Doby, I'm sure you have a good idea) and whether the cost/benefit analysis would be high enough.

You'd need to move probably around 1,000 units in 2012 for it to break even. Costs are negligible and with an audio disc like Trent Reznor's The Social Network when you're only creating a couple menus there's very little Java programming involved too. The only cost in the Blu-ray really would be the extra studio time needed to create the surround mix.

Compare that to 2006 when the format first came out when you needed to move around 20,000 units as an independent studio to make money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by #41Tom (Post 13261873)
i went only with CD because i'll only buy the CD

I always shake my head when I read people saying that CD is dead, because it's still king for the moment for album sales. 2012 could perhaps be the first year that digital downloads for albums overtake CD, but even then it's still got another 10 years life left easily.

Funkyhamster 01-14-2012 10:53 AM

Blu-Ray would be sweet... the most awesome option would be a Blu-Ray disc, with a download code for a digital download (with FLAC being an option). Sort of like what they do with movie releases these days.

Arby 01-14-2012 10:57 AM

I doubt they are recording on tape, so 33 1/3 is probably good enough for vinyl. I'd love to get a Blu release and then of course CD.

uro55 01-14-2012 10:58 AM

Just cd, I'm "old school" that way:thumbsup

ProudMonkey65 01-14-2012 12:24 PM

how 'bout all the above?

canes101190 01-14-2012 12:25 PM

4LP Vinyl and Digital Download is all I'll be getting.

#41Tom 01-14-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobyblue (Post 13261914)

I always shake my head when I read people saying that CD is dead, because it's still king for the moment for album sales. 2012 could perhaps be the first year that digital downloads for albums overtake CD, but even then it's still got another 10 years life left easily.

Agreed; I think it's going to last way longer than 10 years though - a lot of people like holding what they've bought, like me and a couple of others who've posted :D

stlbluespower 01-14-2012 03:47 PM

whatever - I'll just buy the CD. Wonder if we will be getting any Dave artwork with this release?l

vaxarado 01-14-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

3) regular vinyl
4) 24-bit download

You'd need to move probably around 1,000 units in 2012 for it to break even. Costs are negligible and with an audio disc like Trent Reznor's The Social Network when you're only creating a couple menus there's very little Java programming involved too. The only cost in the Blu-ray really would be the extra studio time needed to create the surround mix.

Compare that to 2006 when the format first came out when you needed to move around 20,000 units as an independent studio to make money.

Shoot, thats not bad at all. If thats all it takes, no reason to not release it on Blu-ray.

Yield151 01-14-2012 05:06 PM

really hoping for a LP

DIDriveOut2SPAC 01-14-2012 06:51 PM

2lp, hate 45 rpms albums

ethaxton 01-18-2012 10:37 AM

Put it on whatever, just give me a FLAC download

kittensXLI 01-18-2012 11:22 AM

Really hoping for a copy of the lyrics in Braille format.

sheldonlevene 01-18-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittensXLI (Post 13272634)
Really hoping for a copy of the lyrics in Braille format.

Yeah, this.

LadyMadonna68 01-18-2012 11:30 AM

through YouTube would do it for me.

Arby 01-18-2012 11:36 AM

Flavored water.

MGH4007 01-18-2012 11:41 AM

45 rpm
blue ray
flac
24 bit flac

coldengrey12 01-18-2012 01:00 PM

All of the above, but I'd love vinyl most.

I'd love to own all of the DMB studio albums on vinyl, even Everyday.

dobyblue 05-05-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 13272964)
I'd love to own all of the DMB studio albums on vinyl, even Everyday.

Me too, I'd buy all of them. Hopefully we're getting closer. To the best of my knowledge at least one of them is ready already, but I believe they're going to release them all at once.

TwoStep2888 05-05-2012 07:40 AM

.pdf

TwoStep2888 05-05-2012 07:42 AM

Whichever format gets put up on demonoid first I guess

TwoStep2888 05-05-2012 07:48 AM

LEGAL DISCLAIMER And By That I Mean I Will See Which Format They Are Using And Report It To The Authorities Then Buy A Copy Of The Album In That Format For Each Of My Music-Playing Devices

chyeachyea552 05-05-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

3) regular vinyl
4) 24-bit download

not entirely true, the digital media is rapidly growing and expanding. also within 10 years an even better format could be available

rickyh24 05-05-2012 03:09 PM

Needs to be a 4lp. Otherwise I'm hitting up Waffles.

Millstone 05-05-2012 03:23 PM

24/96 (minimum) lossless PCM download. I can convert down from there if I decide to.