Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Taylor 815 ce Over Rated! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114323)

dmbpettit 09-07-2004 05:28 PM

Taylor 815 ce Over Rated!

I was at the local Guitar Center playing various Martin's because I am planning on buying a HD-28 or D-35 sometime in the near future. Then I saw a Taylor 815 ce and I thought I would play it and see what all the hoop la was about. Unplugged, I don't think it sounded as good as the Martins. When I pluged in, I was even less impressed. I tried it through a SWR Strawberry Blonde which is what I use for my Fishman Natural I equipped Gibson Chet Atkins SSt. And was no contest. My Gibson had a much better acoustic tone and sound. And I'm not stating a preference for that famous Chet sound. I am saying that it just sounded better. More true to what an acoustic should sound like.

Rob 09-07-2004 05:53 PM

Re: Taylor 815 ce Over Rated!

That's your opinion, and I respect it. I don't agree with it at all, however. I don't like the sound of a "stock" Chet at all, nore have I fallen in love w/ Fishman pickups in a Chet. It simply doesn't resonate the way a true acoustic can, and therefore sounds muffled and dead to me.

The Taylor, on the other hand, has a great sound unplugged given a couple of months to mature (straight from the factory the wood sounds restrained) and the new ES system blows any other pickup off the face of the planet. I assume the guitar you played wasn't so equipped.

unccrombie 09-07-2004 05:58 PM

i'm not a big fan of the 300/800 series at all. i've played at least 3 models from each series and would prefer an alvarez over any of them

dmbpettit 09-07-2004 05:59 PM

It did have the ES pickups I believe. It had the funny little 3 knobs on where a preamp would usually go.

Rob 09-07-2004 06:01 PM

That's an ES all right. Odd- something else musta been off ;)

unccrombie 09-07-2004 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbpettit
It did have the ES pickups I believe. It had the funny little 3 knobs on where a preamp would usually go.

yup, that's the ES. all new taylors had them starting in '03 i think

younggjd 09-07-2004 06:43 PM

I think my alvarez ad90sck sounds just as good unplugged as the 300- 800 taylors also. But the electronics are lacking in the bass end.
Greg

j_wyse 09-08-2004 06:40 AM

When you get into guitars at that price point, guitar to guitar, they can have
completely different characteristics, especially with all the different tone woods luthiers are experimenting with now. Were you comparing a dreadnought to a grand auditorium style? They are "made" to have very different tonal qualities.
Someone buying a guitar like this, I'm assuming is a near pro or pro guitarist.
Like the guitars differ, each artist will have very specific things they are looking for in an instrument. Mine and yours could vary radically, and we'd choose different guitars.
Every now and then there's a notsogood guitar that makes it out of the factory. Even built exactally the same, the woods different, days different................
Evaluate the instrument on what works for you, and try a lot of them.
Taylor vs Martins just paints too big of a brush stroke, to even begin to make an argument out of this. There's too many other extrodinary luthiers out there.

just my $.02

Jim