Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMB Tour Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   ***Official Jones Beach (Wantagh, NY) 2012*** (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=307431)

Mansfield2012 06-14-2012 05:51 PM

Re: ***Official Jones Beach (Wantagh, NY) 2012***

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonf71 (Post 13762178)
As far as peoples opinions on the crowd being lame, I agree. There may be several reasons for that. Knowing several people that work at the venue, plus living in the area, Jones Beach is one of the more " corporate " venues, if that's the proper term, lot's of those seats are filled by free seats from corporations, radio station giveaways , LI businesses, especially in VIP. And before anyone says, every venue does that, Jones Beach is smaller & a totally different venue from others. I had numerous people ask me what song this was & admit they weren't fans, " just got free seats ". There is also a curfew there which is earlier then some venues, maybe why 2 song encore & shorter versions.

Mansfield has one of the strictest curfews on tour and they played long versions of songs. Curfews don't mean much on song performances.

Cscottrun 06-14-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonf71 (Post 13762178)
As far as peoples opinions on the crowd being lame, I agree. There may be several reasons for that. Knowing several people that work at the venue, plus living in the area, Jones Beach is one of the more " corporate " venues, if that's the proper term, lot's of those seats are filled by free seats from corporations, radio station giveaways , LI businesses, especially in VIP. And before anyone says, every venue does that, Jones Beach is smaller & a totally different venue from others. I had numerous people ask me what song this was & admit they weren't fans, " just got free seats ". There is also a curfew there which is earlier then some venues, maybe why 2 song encore & shorter versions.

You hit it on the head. Long Island is way more populated then most areas. This increases the amount of casual listeners at the show. You add in the many large corporations in the city and surrounding areas that have season seats, and you have yourself a very casual crowd.

dmbdreamingtree 06-14-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJisBA41 (Post 13761992)
It was my first time down there...do people in the Mezzanine always sit the whole show? I didn't want to be a dick and block the view of people behind me, but I usually stand for the show...I wanna say it was 80% sitting and 20% standing, but the crowd up there was awful. The floor looked better though. First concert I've been too where I sat the whole time.

Someone please enlighten me on this.

Another thing, anyone remember at what point during the show Dave said "i like dental floss"?

He was saying it repeatedly. He said it after SMLAM and a few more times following.

EDDMB 06-14-2012 06:32 PM

Both Jones Beach posters are for sale on DMB website...in case anyone wanted to grab one...I didnt get one N1 in the monsoon,so it was nice to just get one now....

dmbdreamingtree 06-14-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveorourke (Post 13760615)
surprised Billies or Seek Up or Grace or even Squirm was not in mix when looking at set lists so far but what great songs 3-5. You knew Jiimi was coming, but at song #3? - WOW they rocked it and then BEF into Btender - simply awesome. LIOG was some great jammin as well. Brass Monkey into Ants - nice!

It's all good if you like to chill. Fun stuff - not the best ever, but got my fix thank you very much DMB!!

Crowd was 'Strong Island special' - sort of like Bethel where some people are sitting like they are at the movies or something. Tever...

I just realized that your first and only post - after joining in '06 - is responding to a post that I made. That is crazy.

EDDMB 06-14-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree (Post 13762428)
He was saying it repeatedly. He said it after SMLAM and a few more times following.

I didnt get the dental floss thing either..I took it as Dave just being Dave.

Strange crowd I agree..I was in Orch G N1 and everyone stood..except for these four "fans" in front of me.They all had Yankee ponchos on,and sat for the entire gig...2 of them turned and glared at me, as I was singing Minarets..I got the "How dare you sing and have fun at a rock concert" look...like I said..strange..

N2 I was in 3R..very cool fans around me..all jamming to the tunes..except during OOMH of course...Im still asking myself 24 hrs later, why play that song ..... :freak

dmbdreamingtree 06-14-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDDMB (Post 13762448)

Strange crowd I agree..I was in Orch G N1 and everyone stood..except for these four "fans" in front of me.They all had Yankee ponchos on,and sat for the entire gig...2 of them turned and glared at me, as I was singing Minarets..I got the "How dare you sing and have fun at a rock concert" look...like I said..strange..

N2 I was in 3R..very cool fans around me..all jamming to the tunes..except during OOMH of course...Im still asking myself 24 hrs later, why play that song ..... :freak

Exactly.

By the way everyone, the tape is up on Dreamingtree.org and the quality of the tape sounds really good.

berman1125 06-14-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshizzle3 (Post 13760009)
:(
not worth it. you want my stick matt?

Yup PayPal it to me :lol

Congrats! I want one of those babies

spoot388 06-14-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDDMB (Post 13762448)

it was a carry over from SPAC where he talked about getting food stuck in his teeth and needing to get it out.

Dannyyankou 06-14-2012 09:01 PM

Scott browns tape of N1 is up:
http://www.dreamingtree.org/details.php?id=9085

Sniper15 06-14-2012 09:44 PM

Were Fitz and the Tantrums good?

goodnight12 06-14-2012 09:45 PM

I oddly became infatuated by Write a Song during Night 2. It's got a groovy beat. Lyrics aren't top of the line, but I think it could evolve into a really fun live song.

canes101190 06-14-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonf71 (Post 13762144)
To the people that said they didn't see any whining or complaining on here, the above quote qualifies as both.

Shake Me Like a Monkey
Eh Hee
Jimi Thing
Big Eyed Fish
Bartender
So Right
You Might Die Trying
If Only
Lie in Our Graves
Write a Song
Gaucho
Funny the Way It Is
Out of My Hands

Shake Me, Eh Hee, a trainwreck So Right, YMDT, Write a Song, and OOMH? Please. Horrendous start to the show. As much as I enjoy Gaucho, If Only, Funny, LIOG, and Fishtender, they weren't enough to carry the show. The set never really caught any momentum or flow. Too many shitty tunes that killed potential runs. And on top of that, there was so many newer songs that fans didn't know that it took the crowd out of the show. Horrible combination.

yankeesdrummer 06-14-2012 10:20 PM

heres my review from last night.

first off a huge, huge thank you to ants member LieIn0urGraves for helping me out and selling me the GA ticket. im really sorry again for the delay dude. i've officially been spoiled for DMB shows. the pit was indescribable. being that close to the band, with the hardcore fans was just amazing. i got inside the venue at 5:30 and they let us into the GA area at 5:45, to which i got railed on stage right, smack between boyd and tim in front of one of the monitors, so my ears were ringing all day.

anyway, i met a lot of cool fans who had some great stories to tell about the band. fitz and the tantrums came on around 7:05ish to which dave introduced them. ive heard of them cause they played the caravan but actually never heard them before and let me tell you, they were a fun opener. very funky and groovy pop music. ill probably get some of their music, go check them out!

the show started approx 8:20.
- SMLAM is a fun opener, but it's big whiskey so im tired of hearing it. still a good opener though, gets everyone moving off the bat
- eh hee was alright, its a good tune but kinda brought the mood down after a hard hitter opener
- jimi was a great, you could tell it was gonna be a boyd night and i love boyd nights. he was just tearing it up from the start.
- big eyed into bartender is always a classic, it'll never get old for me. sounded great.
- so right was a pleasant surprise, love the horn section during that tune.
- i can't stand YMDT so i took the time to take photos during this one
- if only was enjoyable live, but not my favorite of the new tracks
- lie in our graves is always fun, another song for boyd to go off on, which i have zero objection
- im a sucker for write a song so i enjoyed it and thought it sounded good
- really pleasantly surprised with gaucho. i enjoyed the studio track and the tapes ive heard of it, but this is my favorite of the three new songs they've shown so far. great emotion when it goes into the break. the crowd seemed to like it and responded well
- i dont mind funny the way it is, but quite frankly if i never hear another song off of big whiskey, with the exception of why i am, LITHOG or baby blue, i wont be heart broken
- as soon as they started wheeling out the piano, i knew OOMH was coming and the mood went from up straight down. i wish someone would break the piano so that nobody else has to endure this song live for the rest of the tour. what an absolute set list killer.
- however, warehouse brought the mood right back up with several people, including myself trying to get a "louie, louie" chant going but it didn't catch. still, warehouse is a classic and very enjoyable in my mind. i enjoy rashawn and jeff going back and forth.
- so much to say was expected, brass monkey was not and it was awesome. everyone knew it right off the bat and just a great funky jam for them to go into. as soon as the too much fake started, i thought it was going into halloween, but alas, it was ants.
- ants is a staple and only fitting for boyd to really go off one last time in the evening and he doesn't disappoint. i really hope the new album utilizes him more than BW cause he's such a great presence for the band
- and then there was the not so anticlimatic bombstep encore. lots of energy with dave breaking two strings towards the very end. his tech came on stage with another guitar to switch out but he turned him away. i had hopes that it would go into something else, but nope, another two song encore. and just like that, the two night stand was over.
- carter tossed me a stick, not used but still cool none the less. def makes up for the debacle that happened at the end of the N2 caravan at randalls. also got a handshake from boyd after use showing him love right in front all night haha

if you've never been railed at a DMB show, you need to do it. spend the money, it's totally worth it. to really see the guys up close and how much interaction that goes on, it's really so cool. it was kinda like watching a three ring circus. i wasn't sure who to watch at times. the drummer in me was mesmerized on carter but dave was right there and then watching jeff and rashawn picking out new parts and improving. and boyd just jamming right there, just so much going on.

i'll be honest, on paper, most of the songs disappointed me because i thought i would see more or something that made me go "AH THAT WAS AWESOME" but i never had that moment when it came to a certain song. however, i did have a great time and saw the songs that i've seen 4,5 times in a new, amazing light. this was only show number 9 for me, im really hoping they hit MSG in the fall/winter time when the garden reopens.

fritzfesst 06-15-2012 07:32 AM

The reason people were sitting at jones beach: They don't serve alcohol unless you have access to small VIP area. This is the reason, trust me.

patio furniture 06-15-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canes101190 (Post 13763276)
Shake Me Like a Monkey
Eh Hee
Jimi Thing
Big Eyed Fish
Bartender
So Right
You Might Die Trying
If Only
Lie in Our Graves
Write a Song
Gaucho
Funny the Way It Is
Out of My Hands

Shake Me, Eh Hee, a trainwreck So Right, YMDT, Write a Song, and OOMH? Please. Horrendous start to the show. As much as I enjoy Gaucho, If Only, Funny, LIOG, and Fishtender, they weren't enough to carry the show. The set never really caught any momentum or flow. Too many shitty tunes that killed potential runs. And on top of that, there was so many newer songs that fans didn't know that it took the crowd out of the show. Horrible combination.

As I said haters gonna hate...

Cscottrun 06-15-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patio furniture (Post 13763984)
As I said haters gonna hate...

Just curious, how many show have you been too? IMO hes right. He didnt say he wasnt having fun, he just criticized what ought to be criticized.

nittany605 06-15-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillyjo1 (Post 13761563)
I was directly on his left side. You probably couldn't see me because he was so tall!

Ya, I had a hard time seeing past him lol. I know exactly where you were then. I was 3 people to your right and one person back...no more than 8 feet away from you lol...glad you enjoyed the pics!

nittany605 06-15-2012 11:45 AM

http://www.youtube.com/user/nittany605?feature=mhee

My videos from N1, plus Time Bomb from N2. I got everything from N1 except You & Me and So Damn Lucky. The longer songs won't be up till prob Sunday (#41, Crash, Spaceman/Cornbread, Improv/Why I Am, Brass Monkey/Too Much/Ants, and Two Step from N2). My camera only lets me do about 10 mins per clip, so any song longer than that, I need to combine together. I missed a few seconds on each of those, so I'm gonna overlay the tape on those over my audio so there is no audio gap when watching. Never tried that before, so be patient lol.

Dannyyankou 06-15-2012 03:46 PM

Bartender sounds fantastic from N2.

LieIn0urGraves 06-15-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesdrummer (Post 13763318)
heres my review from last night.

first off a huge, huge thank you to ants member LieIn0urGraves for helping me out and selling me the GA ticket. im really sorry again for the delay dude. i've officially been spoiled for DMB shows. the pit was indescribable. being that close to the band, with the hardcore fans was just amazing. i got inside the venue at 5:30 and they let us into the GA area at 5:45, to which i got railed on stage right, smack between boyd and tim in front of one of the monitors, so my ears were ringing all day.

anyway, i met a lot of cool fans who had some great stories to tell about the band. fitz and the tantrums came on around 7:05ish to which dave introduced them. ive heard of them cause they played the caravan but actually never heard them before and let me tell you, they were a fun opener. very funky and groovy pop music. ill probably get some of their music, go check them out!

the show started approx 8:20.
- SMLAM is a fun opener, but it's big whiskey so im tired of hearing it. still a good opener though, gets everyone moving off the bat
- eh hee was alright, its a good tune but kinda brought the mood down after a hard hitter opener
- jimi was a great, you could tell it was gonna be a boyd night and i love boyd nights. he was just tearing it up from the start.
- big eyed into bartender is always a classic, it'll never get old for me. sounded great.
- so right was a pleasant surprise, love the horn section during that tune.
- i can't stand YMDT so i took the time to take photos during this one
- if only was enjoyable live, but not my favorite of the new tracks
- lie in our graves is always fun, another song for boyd to go off on, which i have zero objection
- im a sucker for write a song so i enjoyed it and thought it sounded good
- really pleasantly surprised with gaucho. i enjoyed the studio track and the tapes ive heard of it, but this is my favorite of the three new songs they've shown so far. great emotion when it goes into the break. the crowd seemed to like it and responded well
- i dont mind funny the way it is, but quite frankly if i never hear another song off of big whiskey, with the exception of why i am, LITHOG or baby blue, i wont be heart broken
- as soon as they started wheeling out the piano, i knew OOMH was coming and the mood went from up straight down. i wish someone would break the piano so that nobody else has to endure this song live for the rest of the tour. what an absolute set list killer.
- however, warehouse brought the mood right back up with several people, including myself trying to get a "louie, louie" chant going but it didn't catch. still, warehouse is a classic and very enjoyable in my mind. i enjoy rashawn and jeff going back and forth.
- so much to say was expected, brass monkey was not and it was awesome. everyone knew it right off the bat and just a great funky jam for them to go into. as soon as the too much fake started, i thought it was going into halloween, but alas, it was ants.
- ants is a staple and only fitting for boyd to really go off one last time in the evening and he doesn't disappoint. i really hope the new album utilizes him more than BW cause he's such a great presence for the band
- and then there was the not so anticlimatic bombstep encore. lots of energy with dave breaking two strings towards the very end. his tech came on stage with another guitar to switch out but he turned him away. i had hopes that it would go into something else, but nope, another two song encore. and just like that, the two night stand was over.
- carter tossed me a stick, not used but still cool none the less. def makes up for the debacle that happened at the end of the N2 caravan at randalls. also got a handshake from boyd after use showing him love right in front all night haha

if you've never been railed at a DMB show, you need to do it. spend the money, it's totally worth it. to really see the guys up close and how much interaction that goes on, it's really so cool. it was kinda like watching a three ring circus. i wasn't sure who to watch at times. the drummer in me was mesmerized on carter but dave was right there and then watching jeff and rashawn picking out new parts and improving. and boyd just jamming right there, just so much going on.

i'll be honest, on paper, most of the songs disappointed me because i thought i would see more or something that made me go "AH THAT WAS AWESOME" but i never had that moment when it came to a certain song. however, i did have a great time and saw the songs that i've seen 4,5 times in a new, amazing light. this was only show number 9 for me, im really hoping they hit MSG in the fall/winter time when the garden reopens.

Glad you enjoyed the show. Don't worry about being late. Traffic sucks!

Dannyyankou 06-15-2012 11:21 PM

Scott Browns tape from N2 is up! It sounds amazing!

http://www.dreamingtree.org/details.php?id=9087&hit=1

dhavaldawg 06-21-2012 04:38 PM

Here's my review of DMB @ Jones Beach N2
http://www.liveforlivemusic.com/revi...hewsbeach.html

DaWarehouse418 06-24-2012 09:49 AM

we remain as the only 2-night stand this tour without Halloween

EDDMB 06-24-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWarehouse418 (Post 13797668)
we remain as the only 2-night stand this tour without Halloween

True,but we got Minarets,BEF and Bartender (my favorite DMB tune)....being that the band played Halloween at Randalls last year,I was ok getting Minarets instead.Solid 2 nights at Jones...

yoda1 06-26-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 13763128)

Can someone up this show to SS or mediafire? My computer crashes any time I try to use BT... I'm also looking for 2011-11-18... Please help... I have a really old computer that doesn't handle more than simple d/l...

:trap It's A Trap!!!

patio furniture 06-27-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 13764075)
Just curious, how many show have you been too? IMO hes right. He didnt say he wasnt having fun, he just criticized what ought to be criticized.

It was my 12th. All I gotta say is I'm not sure why every song choice "ought to be criticized"

Cscottrun 06-29-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patio furniture (Post 13809823)
It was my 12th. All I gotta say is I'm not sure why every song choice "ought to be criticized"

Most of the crowd had no idea what a good 1/4 of the songs were, your gonna tell me Dave chose good songs for the venue at hand? Why not play more hits knowing its such a casual crowd?

snuffles 07-06-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattbp102191 (Post 13759536)
He definitely did. was not drunk and I caught it....Fonz loves Tool!!

Good catch. I just was listening to 6-12 and caught it and was listening through the Tool collection to confirm