Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - DMB - January 2012 Studio Sessions
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #60
RSSR
Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB - January 2012 Studio Sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramageek View Post
I strongly, but respectfully, disagree. He was not the most important element by any means, but still critical to what made those albums sound so great. His interplay with Roi on songs like Rhyme & Reason, #41, DIDO, Bartender is one of the things that hooked me on this band. He has some really nice moments, such as the middle of Typical Situation and the one chorus of Rapunzel. Off the top of my head he's also great and noticeable on JTR and Last Stop. On SU and even BW, he was more window dressing than anything else, popping up for small moments here and there. I want more of that interplay between violin and sax than just Boyd sticking his head up for a short solo on a couple of songs.
Until I'm proven wrong, I seriously think all that is a function of Lillywhite/Dave's sonwriting/LeRoi creating a collage out of everyone's contributions more than Boyd's creative spark. I mean, the guy is limited in a live setting, I don't see how that changes in the studio.
RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote