Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - AutoTune
Thread: AutoTune
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #22
antseyedgraves

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinbeloit View Post
Well, you have to understand that AutoTune is not always a bad thing. There are too many cases out there (Britney Spears) where it is overused and sounds fake, but other times it can be used simply to fix one little phrase.

Let's say Dave is going through a vocal take and really nails it and thought it was the best take he did, but unfortunately he was a little flat in one spot and the part is too complex to punch in and punch out on. Rather then scrap a great take, AutoTune can be used to fix that one spot/ phrase.

So will Cavallo use AutoTune on the album? Ya, probably. The majority of music coming out these days has been at least touched by auto-tune. Is Cavallo going to saturate Dave's vocals with it? No.
This is what I don't agree with. Auto-tune is the line crosser to me. Singers have had the benefits of singing separate to the group at an entirely different time and also to drop in and out every few words or lines. If you can't get a take right after trying it 10-20 times, come back to it later or if you don't have time, rewrite the line cause it's obviously too much for you to handle. Fixing it with a computer makes you a hack. If it's the producer doing it without the singer's input, then they need to go to the singer and tell them what they should do and not throw it through a pitch correction program.

This crap is ruining the integrity of music. There's no way to reach the heights of amazing-ness like we've heard of great vocalists in the past by using computers. It is the undoing of talent and substitution of stupidity. The art of singing is how you get to the note and how you hit it; auto-tune, melodyne etc., takes this beautiful work out of the equation. If you agree with the use of auto-tune for pitch correction no matter how little or big, you are apart of the reason why I have lost faith in music past year 2000 or so. If you're okay with a singer being auto-tuned, then maybe you should just listen to a robot singing instead.

Last edited by antseyedgraves; 01-23-2011 at 07:09 PM.