Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - **NCAA Basketball Thread**
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #74147
Rodey
Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
yes, the WBB and football teams definitely did the latter part of what you're talking about.

however, imagine you don't know that the classes aren't really being administered and are being graded by an A.A. All you know is that one department has classes that give out high grades. Your job is to walk the line between "providing a good academic experience (whatever that means)/keep athletes eligible." What do you do? Is it wrong to note that certain classes/majors get high grades, and act accordingly?

Not that my athletic eligibility ever mattered, but I know that my fraternity had to maintain a certain GPA to continue to be allowed to throw parties, hold rush, etc.

Everybody in the fraternity knew that Music Appreciation with this one particular professor was a cake A. All upperclassmen told the freshmen in the fraternity to take the class. In fact, I took the class, and one day I decided I was going to the beach for the weekend and was going to miss the class. I had my roommate sign on to my email account and email the professor to tell him something had come up and I just couldn't make it. I had totally forgotten that we had a test the class session I was going to miss. When I got back I about shit my pants. I went to the professor and asked if there was any way I could make up the test. I thought I was going to be the first person in history to not get an A in music appreciation. The professor says "you sent me an email right? you've done pretty well on all your other tests so far so I'm going to just give you an A on the test you missed, too."

the class obviously was a total joke and had no academic merit at all. does my signing up for that class because I knew it was a joke rise to the level of academic fraud? does my fraternity pushing me to take that class b/c they knew if I did it would raise the overall fraternity GPA rise to the level of academic fraud?

again, I am speaking only to the segments of the athletic department (and fraternity row, and other groups) that simply knew the classes were easy. the people that knew the classes were being graded by someone friendly to the athletic department, and the people that specifically requested grades, fuck those people, they're idiots and deserve whatever they get.

How would you not know? Again, I'm not well-versed on all the details surrounding this case, but if there were "classes" where attendance records and grades were faked and there was no professor, how would you, as the student, not know something shady was going on?

That's far different than signing up for fluff courses.