Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Jason Mraz
Thread: Jason Mraz
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #81
BlueWater13

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Jason Mraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
I'm actually pretty okay with the music. There seems to be much more going on as far as guitar work and textures, and less awful horn lines. It's a personal taste thing, but he almost completely lost me the last time I saw him when his horn line had horrible horrible dance moves. I just don't like that sound at all.

Some of the songs are pretty good, but I just find I'm having trouble taking him seriously as an artist lyrically. I thought he used to be a good, or at least clever, lyricist. On the new album examples of lyrics are:

- Makes me feel good, and when I feel good I sing.
- Living in the moment, living my life, easy and breezy, peace in my mind.
- Let's sing to be happy, to feel things, to communicate and be heard
- It's not hard for me to love you, hard for me to love you, no it's not a difficult thing.

They just feel delivered extremely cheesily. I really like a few songs, like 5/6, 93 Million Miles, and Who's Thinking About You Now. And I really liked the first single. But there are just songs on there that make me cringe. It is definitely a more mellow album, and I like most the music, it just seems very straightforward and I'm used to him being a little more adventurous.
i agree that alot of his lyrics are not as good as they were when he first came around. He still has good ones here and there, but i do feel the overall quality is a bit down. Still love the songs though. I will say, that you can't blame him for lyrics on freedom song, since its a cover.