Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Plan For Hangout... For those interested in splitting hotels, partying, etc with ants
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #27
Phulish

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Plan For Hangout... For those interested in splitting hotels, partying, etc with

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaviorguy View Post
I would love to know how you managed the Gorge from Florida. We live in Orlando, and every year my wife gives me grief for not going. God forbid the band stops touring before we figure out a way to make it work, she might divorce me! Do you drive across country, or fly to Seattle and rent a car to drive in? And if camping, how do you get your gear across country if you fly? Any tips are appreciated! Now I just have to find someone to watch the kids for a week...
we have flown from Philly the last 3 years. We rent a minivan Thurs when we arrive and stay in Seattle that night (my bro lives in Tacoma so we have dinner with him). We pack a 2 person tent, 2 collapsible chairs, a small metal table and 2 sleeping bags and liquor and warm and light clothes as the temp varies widely from day to night (although last year was the warmest nights yet)

We then head to a nearby walmart that night, buy a cooler and food. We get cereal, milk, sandwich stuff, munchies, tons of water and beer.

We then drive out to the Gorge which is such an easy,fun, ride. We do terrace camping. Larger parking/tent spot, nice views, some coffee/danish in the AM. Real bathrooms (and honey buckets as well). Hot showers with little to no lines and quiet late at night if you want to sleep and a van to and from the venue (about a 10 minute walk) if you choose to use it.

We spend the days hanging out, or terrace alllows reentry so we have gone to moses lake and jet skiied or down to the beach.

We usually leave for seattle after night 3 and donate our cooler and left over stuff to someone who has come locally. We get a hotel in Sea to get some sleep and fly back early in the AM on Monday.

We ship the kids to Grammy and Pops down in Charleston the night before we fly out.

It isn't cheap, but it is our vacation together without the kids and we deserve it. I have spent twice as much going to Disney and that place makes me cringe. The gorge is just holy!
Phulish is offline   Reply With Quote