Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Rank the Big Whiskey Songs
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #139
ShakingMonkey
Snake in the woodpile.

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Rank the Big Whiskey Songs

This is long, but don't read it if you don't want to. I just like rating things thoroughly.

1. Lying in the Hands of God: This song is some of the most compelling beautiful music I've heard. So many pleasing layers and well-executed lyrics. Awesome awesome tune. They need to write more things like this in my opinion.

2. Seven: Tight, sexy vocals. Impressive rhythmic mastery at work here, and Carter shows his endless skill from beginning to end. But it's #2 mostly because it's a pure funk deep-groove jam that gets me hot

3. Squirm: Very good structure and it reminds me of old-school DMB, only with a rougher edge to it. It's unique, mysterious, and Carter's sudden drum fill in the middle is so pumping. Great tune, great lyrics, sick beat.

4. Grux: I love Roi's style. Very appropriate way to open the album. Very calming, yet it sparks some suspense. I just like it a lot.

5. Shake Me Like A Monkey: BAHAHA the lyrics aren't great but man, what amazing music. Mind-numbing intro, and clever guitar riffs throughout this thing. The horns are well placed and melodically this monster is just downright sexy, and it's just as good live.

6. Why I Am: Really really really fun riff. I'm glad they put this on the album, not only because it's for Roi, but it's just got a lot of fun energy that reminds me of summer and rock music. Some of Carter's double-kick work here is astounding, just listen for it if you haven't already.

7. Funny The Way It Is: The reason this is placed here is because I am too fascinated with the other tunes to rank this one any higher at the moment. But I still love the lyrics of this, as well as the unique driving rhythm it's got. Cool drum intro. Slamming outro. Relatively solid song.

8. Alligator Pie: THIS IS SO FUN (just because it's #8 doesn't mean I don't like it). Swampy, New Orleans hillbilly feel. And the groove between Stefan and Carter is killer. It sounds lyric-less at first but listen to it more. It's got decent structure. It's just a little looser than some other songs. I just wish it had more contrast between verses and choruses, but hey thats the brakes.

9. Spaceman: Not sure what to think of this yet, but it's got some nice qualities to it. Great layers between the guitars and drums, and I like the rhythm with which Dave sings the verses. I don't really like the chorus structure. Sounds thrown together, but I might just need to let it grow on me.

10. Time Bomb: The only part I truly like about this is the beginning, because it's so calming and serene. The intermediate music right after the drums enter is a very cool part as well. I don't particularly like the Foo Fighers electric guitar blow-up at the end, but I appreciate the honesty with which Dave sings the blaring vocals at the close. It's interesting to me at least.

11. You & Me: Even though I can enjoy this tune, there's not a whole lot about it that makes it an apparent DMB song other than Dave's acoustic playing. Cheesey lyrics, but hey he can afford that every 15 songs or so I think.

12. My Baby Blue: I've never really liked stuff like this, but for what it is I think it's well done for the most part. I think it might have been cool for the band to lightly come in at the end and then carry it out instrumentally or something.