Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - ***Official Ants Photography Thread***
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #408
CUTiger41
I'm Ron F'in Swanson.

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Ants Photography Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyande View Post
I'm excited for this to start.

So I'm extremely new to this, and I haven't even owned my camera for a month yet. So far, my kit consists of the Nikon D90, a kit lens (Nikkor 18 - 105 AF VR 3.5-5.8?), and a 50 mm AF 1.8 lens.

I'm working on getting a tripod and remote. I'm wondering what other items I should be considering to round out my set up. Any help?

I know I could use a long range lens, but I'm not in a hurry to spend the coin on it (plus I need the tripod first). I've heard people mention different filters for lenses that could be fun to try out. Are these typically priced like the protective covers? Anyone have really unique lenses that are worth checking out? Are there fish-eye lenses available for the Nikon Dx
cameras? What about wide angle or panoramic?
Use that 50mm 1.8 as much as you can! It's a fun and excellent lens that takes tack sharp images.

It sounds like you have your bases covered once you add a tripod. A polarizer is a must if shooting glass or water (streams and such) to get rid of unwanted reflections. ND grads are great if you plan on shooting landscape. However, most people are starting to use HDR instead of graduated filters.

For digital I have the D50, 18-200mm VR, 50mm f/1.8, and a Tokina 12-24 f/4. The Tokina is a great lens for the price. I paid $500 for it new but on Nikonians.org people are selling them for $380-400 used in their Buy/Sell forum. For film I use an F100 w/ grip, 18-35mm and 24-85mm f/3.5. I use a N80 w/ grip for B&W as well. Right now my freezer is loaded with Velvia 50, 100 and Kodak BW400CN.

As for subjects and themes, "love" is pretty cliche. We could do things like rule of thirds, leading lines, backlit subjects, silhouettes, reflections, abstract, minimalist, twotone, symmetry, etc.