Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
DIDriveOut2SPAC
unfortunate booze bag
 
DIDriveOut2SPAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Albany
Posts: 23,880

Shows Seen: 35
Send a message via AIM to DIDriveOut2SPAC

AutoTune

Do you think there is any chance Cavallo is employing tools such as AutoTune into the sessions or is he forcing Dave and the band to take all the takes they need to to sound like a real rock band. Can anyone explain his ethics and style in the studio? I have some of his works with bands, but at the moment most of them are archived on another HD.

Discuss techniques you think Cavallo is making in the studio. Concerns. Etc.
__________________
RateYourMusic 2011
DIDriveOut2SPAC is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
mattinbeloit
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 518

Shows Seen: 4

Re: AutoTune

Well, you have to understand that AutoTune is not always a bad thing. There are too many cases out there (Britney Spears) where it is overused and sounds fake, but other times it can be used simply to fix one little phrase.

Let's say Dave is going through a vocal take and really nails it and thought it was the best take he did, but unfortunately he was a little flat in one spot and the part is too complex to punch in and punch out on. Rather then scrap a great take, AutoTune can be used to fix that one spot/ phrase.

So will Cavallo use AutoTune on the album? Ya, probably. The majority of music coming out these days has been at least touched by autotune. Is Cavallo going to saturate Dave's vocals with it? No.

Last edited by mattinbeloit; 02-11-2009 at 01:40 AM.
mattinbeloit is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
tparker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 1,029

Shows Seen: 3

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinbeloit View Post
Well, you have to understand that AutoTune is not always a bad thing. There are too many cases out there (Britney Spears) where it is overused and sounds fake, but other times it can be used simply to fix one little phrase.

Let's say Dave is going through a vocal take and really nails it and thought it was the best take he did, but unfortunately he was a little flat in one spot and the part is too complex to punch in and punch out on. Rather then scrap a great take, AutoTune can be used to fix that one spot/ phrase.

So will Cavallo use AutoTune on the album? Ya, probably. The majority of music coming out these days has been at least touched by autotune. Is Cavallo going to saturate Dave's vocals with it? No.

The term autotune is typically used in reference to the auto program that is used to tune voices and it is also typically used to BE noticed in songs, at least in these times, it wasn't developed as that but thats how its used. You can tune voices/instruments without using actual autotune. For example if Dave did hit one note they would go in specifically and fix that not use autotune. Just thought i would throw that out there. So i highly extremely doubt they'll use autotune as in the electronic voice effect like T.I. is doing a lot now but like you said most likely will adjust the pitch of Dave's voice sometime on the cd.
tparker is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 03:23 AM   #4
mattinbeloit
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 518

Shows Seen: 4

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparker View Post
The term autotune is typically used in reference to the auto program that is used to tune voices and it is also typically used to BE noticed in songs, at least in these times, it wasn't developed as that but thats how its used. You can tune voices/instruments without using actual autotune. For example if Dave did hit one note they would go in specifically and fix that not use autotune. Just thought i would throw that out there. So i highly extremely doubt they'll use autotune as in the electronic voice effect like T.I. is doing a lot now but like you said most likely will adjust the pitch of Dave's voice sometime on the cd.
Well ya, people like TI and Kanye over use it as an effect. But I have used autotune to fix certain small mess ups. A lot of times singers get ready to hold a long note and when they start out they are a little flat but work up to pitch. I'll throw it on just to bring it up to pitch, more times I've used it when people start out sharp and work down to pitch. It's not always a big deal when people work up to pitch, but when they start sharp and go down, not kosher.

But many times autotune is great when used in a very slight manner. If you've recorded before you understand the concept of bussing, but for everyone else I'll explain a little bit. Take for instance a recording where you have background vocals holding a note to support the main singer. In the mix, those tracks are generally mixed lower and sometimes are hardly there. If you have 5 people singing that background part, you can "buss" all five vocal parts into 1 mono or a stereo track and edit them as a whole. When I've mixed background singers, many times I've thrown auto tune on them because it glues everything together and helps them punch through a busy mix. Again, they are background vocals so it's not a very loud part but it makes them sound better in a supporting way.

Having said that, I really do hate autotune when used on main vocals to the point where it sounds fake (And is not being used for artistic purposes) and too perfect. I like little imperfections in vocals because it's realer to me. Also, if I have the option to use autotune to fix a little part vs. having the artist try the take again, I will always try to make them do the take again. So like I said before, autotune will probably be used on the record, but I doubt it will be saturating Daves vocals...

Last edited by mattinbeloit; 02-11-2009 at 03:28 AM.
mattinbeloit is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
zajDmB1
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 14,280

Shows Seen: 38

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparker View Post
The term autotune is typically used in reference to the auto program that is used to tune voices and it is also typically used to BE noticed in songs, at least in these times, it wasn't developed as that but thats how its used. You can tune voices/instruments without using actual autotune. For example if Dave did hit one note they would go in specifically and fix that not use autotune. Just thought i would throw that out there. So i highly extremely doubt they'll use autotune as in the electronic voice effect like T.I. is doing a lot now but like you said most likely will adjust the pitch of Dave's voice sometime on the cd.
There is a lot of instances where autotune is used to hide the fact that many people can't sing as perfect as you need to sound on a record, and much of this stays hidden from wide knowledge. T-Pain, Kanye, etc, use extreme settings with autotune to purposely hear it, but it used for much more than that. I'm sure someone like Dave has the self-respect to want to be able to hit the notes himself, and we all know he has the ability to, so I'm sure DMB uses punch-ins/alternate takes more than anything.
zajDmB1 is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
TGaucho
A Fool To Think
 
TGaucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dancing A Thousand Steps For You
Posts: 6,517

Shows Seen: 19
Send a message via AIM to TGaucho

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinbeloit View Post
Well ya, people like TI and Kanye over use it as an effect. But I have used autotune to fix certain small mess ups. A lot of times singers get ready to hold a long note and when they start out they are a little flat but work up to pitch. I'll throw it on just to bring it up to pitch, more times I've used it when people start out sharp and work down to pitch. It's not always a big deal when people work up to pitch, but when they start sharp and go down, not kosher.

But many times autotune is great when used in a very slight manner. If you've recorded before you understand the concept of bussing, but for everyone else I'll explain a little bit. Take for instance a recording where you have background vocals holding a note to support the main singer. In the mix, those tracks are generally mixed lower and sometimes are hardly there. If you have 5 people singing that background part, you can "buss" all five vocal parts into 1 mono or a stereo track and edit them as a whole. When I've mixed background singers, many times I've thrown auto tune on them because it glues everything together and helps them punch through a busy mix. Again, they are background vocals so it's not a very loud part but it makes them sound better in a supporting way.

Having said that, I really do hate autotune when used on main vocals to the point where it sounds fake (And is not being used for artistic purposes) and too perfect. I like little imperfections in vocals because it's realer to me. Also, if I have the option to use autotune to fix a little part vs. having the artist try the take again, I will always try to make them do the take again. So like I said before, autotune will probably be used on the record, but I doubt it will be saturating Daves vocals...
that's all very interesting. Thanks for sharing your experiences : )
__________________
*Tony - fanatic since '95 (thanks sis)*

~ DMB Fantasy Tour 2007 CHAMPION ~
TGaucho is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 04:06 AM   #7
Ghosts on TV
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 1,257

Shows Seen: 26

Re: AutoTune

Bon Iver overly uses it on the song "Woods" to great effect.

Last edited by Ghosts on TV; 02-11-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Ghosts on TV is offline  
Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
antseyedgraves
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2

Shows Seen: 0

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinbeloit View Post
Well, you have to understand that AutoTune is not always a bad thing. There are too many cases out there (Britney Spears) where it is overused and sounds fake, but other times it can be used simply to fix one little phrase.

Let's say Dave is going through a vocal take and really nails it and thought it was the best take he did, but unfortunately he was a little flat in one spot and the part is too complex to punch in and punch out on. Rather then scrap a great take, AutoTune can be used to fix that one spot/ phrase.

So will Cavallo use AutoTune on the album? Ya, probably. The majority of music coming out these days has been at least touched by auto-tune. Is Cavallo going to saturate Dave's vocals with it? No.
This is what I don't agree with. Auto-tune is the line crosser to me. Singers have had the benefits of singing separate to the group at an entirely different time and also to drop in and out every few words or lines. If you can't get a take right after trying it 10-20 times, come back to it later or if you don't have time, rewrite the line cause it's obviously too much for you to handle. Fixing it with a computer makes you a hack. If it's the producer doing it without the singer's input, then they need to go to the singer and tell them what they should do and not throw it through a pitch correction program.

This crap is ruining the integrity of music. There's no way to reach the heights of amazing-ness like we've heard of great vocalists in the past by using computers. It is the undoing of talent and substitution of stupidity. The art of singing is how you get to the note and how you hit it; auto-tune, melodyne etc., takes this beautiful work out of the equation. If you agree with the use of auto-tune for pitch correction no matter how little or big, you are apart of the reason why I have lost faith in music past year 2000 or so. If you're okay with a singer being auto-tuned, then maybe you should just listen to a robot singing instead.

Last edited by antseyedgraves; 01-23-2011 at 11:09 PM.
antseyedgraves is offline  
Old 01-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
manderso
Retired
 
manderso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 10,003

Shows Seen: 0

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by antseyedgraves View Post
This is what I don't agree with. Auto-tune is the line crosser to me. Singers have had the benefits of singing separate to the group at an entirely different time and also to drop in and out every few words or lines. If you can't get a take right after trying it 10-20 times, come back to it later or if you don't have time, rewrite the line cause it's obviously too much for you to handle. Fixing it with a computer makes you a hack. If it's the producer doing it without the singer's input, then they need to go to the singer and tell them what they should do and not throw it through a pitch correction program.

This crap is ruining the integrity of music. There's no way to reach the heights of amazing-ness like we've heard of great vocalists in the past by using computers. It is the undoing of talent and substitution of stupidity. The art of singing is how you get to the note and how you hit it; auto-tune, melodyne etc., takes this beautiful work out of the equation. If you agree with the use of auto-tune for pitch correction no matter how little or big, you are apart of the reason why I have lost faith in music past year 2000 or so. If you're okay with a singer being auto-tuned, then maybe you should just listen to a robot singing instead.
Well Dave has been auto tuned, so I guess Dave is a hack.
__________________
-Matt

The beast inside me is caged by frail and fragile bars. -Johnny Cash

WhT campaigner. In memory of shiny tape and misappropriated funds.
manderso is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
MGH4007
dim5
 
MGH4007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,232

Shows Seen: 13

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinbeloit View Post

Let's say Dave is going through a vocal take and really nails it and thought it was the best take he did, but unfortunately he was a little flat in one spot and the part is too complex to punch in and punch out on. Rather then scrap a great take, AutoTune can be used to fix that one spot/ phrase.
Which raises the question. What it really a good take if he was flat, sharp, or off rhythm a bit?
__________________
Pebbles and marbles,
like words from a friend
MGH4007 is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
MGH4007
dim5
 
MGH4007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,232

Shows Seen: 13

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGH4007 View Post
Which raises the question. What it really a good take if he was flat, sharp, or off rhythm a bit?
I can't type today. Was it***
__________________
Pebbles and marbles,
like words from a friend
MGH4007 is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 01:42 AM   #12
Candice Smith
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 452

Shows Seen: 0

Re: AutoTune

i always wonder: how does someone learn how to produce an album, use all functions, tools and buttons ? do they go to school or just learn ? I also wonder if there are any relevant producers that can't play instruments.
Candice Smith is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 01:48 AM   #13
TGaucho
A Fool To Think
 
TGaucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dancing A Thousand Steps For You
Posts: 6,517

Shows Seen: 19
Send a message via AIM to TGaucho

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice Smith View Post
i always wonder: how does someone learn how to produce an album, use all functions, tools and buttons ? do they go to school or just learn ? I also wonder if there are any relevant producers that can't play instruments.
well each person takes their own path to that knowledge/those skills. This interview is interesting and gives pretty excellent insight into Cavallo's particular credentials and history:

http://www.crazedhits.com/interview-rob-cavallo/
__________________
*Tony - fanatic since '95 (thanks sis)*

~ DMB Fantasy Tour 2007 CHAMPION ~
TGaucho is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #14
TGaucho
A Fool To Think
 
TGaucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dancing A Thousand Steps For You
Posts: 6,517

Shows Seen: 19
Send a message via AIM to TGaucho

Re: AutoTune

it does worry me a bit, actually. I still like Cavallo as a choice for producer, and i don't personally believe that he ever used it in his work with Green Day, but the Fleetwood Mac record that he did sounded way too clean, and The Black Parade is probably questionable (could go either way based on the times i listened to it).

In the end it's all up to the integrity of the band, specifically Dave (as the vocalist). I can't believe that Cavallo would apply that kind of filter/program to the tracks without consulting Dave first, so if there's any autotune then the onus would lie entirely on Dave for that decision.

Also, i'm sure that this would hardly be the first time that Dave and the boys would be confronted with that choice. I have no doubt that Baston (and probably other producers that they've worked with post-Lillywhite) have used it in the past, or are at least quite familiar with it, and i'm sure that it's been an option before now in that repect. If you can make one of the best drummers in the world sound like a fucking drum machine, then you are certainly knee deep in that kind of filtering/digital editing technology. So i guess one relevant question would be, was it used on Stand Up at all (in your opinion)?
__________________
*Tony - fanatic since '95 (thanks sis)*

~ DMB Fantasy Tour 2007 CHAMPION ~

Last edited by TGaucho; 02-11-2009 at 01:45 AM.
TGaucho is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #15
DIDriveOut2SPAC
unfortunate booze bag
 
DIDriveOut2SPAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Albany
Posts: 23,880

Shows Seen: 35
Send a message via AIM to DIDriveOut2SPAC

Re: AutoTune

I ask because also one of my favorite DIY artists is Ben Kweller and a couple of his Studio Album are recorded "Live" meaning no fancy mastering or production tools, just tracks from different takes. I think it sounds amazing.
__________________
RateYourMusic 2011
DIDriveOut2SPAC is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #16
TGaucho
A Fool To Think
 
TGaucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dancing A Thousand Steps For You
Posts: 6,517

Shows Seen: 19
Send a message via AIM to TGaucho

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
I ask because also one of my favorite DIY artists is Ben Kweller and a couple of his Studio Album are recorded "Live" meaning no fancy mastering or production tools, just tracks from different takes. I think it sounds amazing.
KT Tunstall did a record like that last year (Acoustic Extravaganza) that was extremely cool. They recorded it in one day at this old house in Scotland, most of them sitting in the same room (i think the drummer was upstairs or something), and there was no production layered on top of it. And, yeah, it sounded very warm and live. I wish more musicians did that kind of thing. David Gray's Lost Songs was similar in its authenticity.
__________________
*Tony - fanatic since '95 (thanks sis)*

~ DMB Fantasy Tour 2007 CHAMPION ~
TGaucho is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #17
TGaucho
A Fool To Think
 
TGaucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dancing A Thousand Steps For You
Posts: 6,517

Shows Seen: 19
Send a message via AIM to TGaucho

Re: AutoTune

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...iid=digg_share
__________________
*Tony - fanatic since '95 (thanks sis)*

~ DMB Fantasy Tour 2007 CHAMPION ~
TGaucho is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 01:59 AM   #18
tparker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 1,029

Shows Seen: 3

Re: AutoTune

^^^ good article. They can even do that stuff live now, take a listen to some pop bands live and you can hear it. I always hate when they try and hide it cause its so freaking obvious to me.

Actually i listen to a lot of electronica/pop bands and love it when they use it as an effect, however its getting really really too popular these days.
tparker is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #19
TGaucho
A Fool To Think
 
TGaucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dancing A Thousand Steps For You
Posts: 6,517

Shows Seen: 19
Send a message via AIM to TGaucho

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparker View Post
^^^ good article. They can even do that stuff live now, take a listen to some pop bands live and you can hear it. I always hate when they try and hide it cause its so freaking obvious to me.

Actually i listen to a lot of electronica/pop bands and love it when they use it as an effect, however its getting really really too popular these days.
i know what you mean, i've heard it used live as well. Too, i agree that it can be a cool effect, but yeah. It's become an effect run amok.
__________________
*Tony - fanatic since '95 (thanks sis)*

~ DMB Fantasy Tour 2007 CHAMPION ~
TGaucho is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 03:10 AM   #20
GraceIsGone40
 
GraceIsGone40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 934

Shows Seen: 5

Re: AutoTune

MHMF has a lot of it. I think just about every wail on DDTW was autotuned, and most of the falsettos on #41 - there's no way Dave hit every one of those notes. I don't think it sounds bad, it's noticeable, but not bad. It adds a bit of an echo effect though.
GraceIsGone40 is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #21
bibby1044
Penn State
 
bibby1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 5,658

Shows Seen: 34

Re: AutoTune

^ I agree.
__________________
Mike
bibby1044 is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #22
MikeTheStone
Let me write.
 
MikeTheStone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY and LA.
Posts: 4,239

Shows Seen: 35
Send a message via AIM to MikeTheStone

Re: AutoTune

I think the grittiness of Daves voice adds to the song...Music is human...keep it imperfect.
__________________
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
MikeTheStone is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #23
DIDriveOut2SPAC
unfortunate booze bag
 
DIDriveOut2SPAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Albany
Posts: 23,880

Shows Seen: 35
Send a message via AIM to DIDriveOut2SPAC

Re: AutoTune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheStone View Post
I think the grittiness of Daves voice adds to the song...Music is human...keep it imperfect.
__________________
RateYourMusic 2011
DIDriveOut2SPAC is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #24
DIDriveOut2SPAC
unfortunate booze bag
 
DIDriveOut2SPAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Albany
Posts: 23,880

Shows Seen: 35
Send a message via AIM to DIDriveOut2SPAC

Re: AutoTune

Interesting Article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...utie-auto-tune
__________________
RateYourMusic 2011
DIDriveOut2SPAC is offline  
Old 02-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #25
hflsmg17317
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 52

Shows Seen: 0

Re: AutoTune

All i know is that autotuning ruined the radio city album. I found the fan recording to spare my self. Listen to bartender on the dmb website from that album. Whoever is responsible for that ruined that album. It was sloppy and took away from it.

So i think d&T and dmb sounds worse with it.
hflsmg17317 is offline  
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #26
Luv4Roi
 
Luv4Roi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,325

Shows Seen: 37

Re: AutoTune

Probably Melodyne not AutoTune. Melodyne corrects vocals, but in a very natural way so as not to get that robotic effect.
__________________
"Are those FUCKING donuts?!" - Boyd Tinsley
Luv4Roi is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


   
Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
Home
Ants+
Tour Central
Search bar
RSS Feeds
About Us
Contact Us
The Ants Blog
Advertise on Ants
Ants on your cell phone
iAnts
mobile news
mobile setlists
antslive!
Ants' Twitter
DMBLive Twitter
Matt's Twitter
Jake's Twitter
Joe's Twitter