DMB is NOT a jam band - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #91
Bluewater21
Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB is NOT a jam band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treigh View Post
Oh so DMB played 15 years without taking a break? 15 years? Give me a break... Phish went from 1983-2003, 20 years, playing many more shows than DMB!
He's wrong dumb ass, this is DMB's 20th year of touring. You are a complete joke by the way
Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #92
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh so DMB played 15 years without taking a break? 15 years? Give me a break... Phish went from 1983-2003, 20 years, playing many more shows than DMB!
    wow..and DMB was still the highest grossing tour act of the decade

again your argument is kind of pointless. this is antsmarching.org

not shittylyricsfollowedby45minutesofmusic.org
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #93
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post

I'm not bashing phish cause im trying to get into more of their shit as of late, but this is funny
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #94
    liljoey90
    9 planets round the sun

Shows Seen: 159

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

LMAO! I still don't understand what this guy is trying to prove. He's bitching WHY they are Successful, HOW they became Successful, and how long they have been. The point is, they are the best and highest grossing touring act of the decade, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. And until DMB has been around as long as Phish, you can't argue who has been a more successful band overall, and that shouldn't even matter. Go to the shows you want, listen to the band you want, you came to this forum, we didn't ask you too. As much as we don't give a shit what you have to say, i will defend my favorite band. It's funny, i can't stand Phish, yet i can stay in this argument and not say anything bad about them, cause i actually have respect for the band. You don't see me going on to Phish forums and bashing them.
    liljoey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #95
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

I've tried so hard to get into Phish between buying their albums and going to a couple shows.... My cousin went to Saint Michaels in Vermont in the early 90s and has seen them over 200 times between now and then and even he said he can't listen to their studio stuff, but thinks their live music is the greatest...but it tells you something when a fan that big won't even listen to their studio albums.
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #96
    Treigh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chyeachyea552 View Post
    uhhh correction, thatd be a IMPROV jam.

im a big phish fan (just as dmb) but your deff in the wrong place, your not gonna get anywhere here. dmb is a jam band. im a UM fan as well and theyre all just different types of jam band. UM is more progressive to me, but its still a jam band.
    Gosh your stupid... What do you think a jam is? A jam isn't just when people play a song, it is when the entire band is playing cokpletely different pieces of music than the original song it came out of. In other words, if the song came out to be 20 minutes, I should be able to turn it on at the 12 minutes mark and not know what song it was they started with.
    Treigh is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #97
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liljoey90 View Post
    LMAO! I still don't understand what this guy is trying to prove. He's bitching WHY they are Successful, HOW they became Successful, and how long they have been. The point is, they are the best and highest grossing touring act of the decade, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. And until DMB has been around as long as Phish, you can't argue who has been a more successful band overall, and that shouldn't even matter. Go to the shows you want, listen to the band you want, you came to this forum, we didn't ask you too. As much as we don't give a shit what you have to say, i will defend my favorite band. It's funny, i can't stand Phish, yet i can stay in this argument and not say anything bad about them, cause i actually have respect for the band. You don't see me going on to Phish forums and bashing them.
    Brett Farve has a lot of records...only because he has played longer than everyone else, but it does not exactly make him good
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #98
    canes101190
    No Worries

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

83-03? Really? Let's be honest, they really went into full force around 85 or 86, and then took 2001 off after they peaked at Big Cypress. So shave 3-4 years off that total, but yes they have played more shows than DMB.

EDIT: Why the fuck does it matter?
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #99
    liljoey90
    9 planets round the sun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've tried so hard to get into Phish between buying their albums and going to a couple shows.... My cousin went to Saint Michaels in Vermont in the early 90s and has seen them over 200 times between now and then and even he said he can't listen to their studio stuff, but thinks their live music is the greatest...but it tells you something when a fan that big won't even listen to their studio albums.

Same here. I tried listening to them and just can't get into them. Music is all preference, but i have enough of a brain to realize that they are very talented, and there is no reason to bash them just because i don't like them. They are just very boring sounding to me, but people also say that about DMB. They also have a very old sound to me, DMB is more my style being as i grew up in the 90's and 00's. I was considering going to see Phish just to see if i can get into them live, they were right here at Jones beach a few weeks ago, but i figured i'd be really bored because i don't know any of their music, and anytime i try to listen to some stuff on youtube, i get bored and put DMB on.
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #100
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Gosh your stupid... What do you think a jam is? A jam isn't just when people play a song, it is when the entire band is playing cokpletely different pieces of music than the original song it came out of. In other words, if the song came out to be 20 minutes, I should be able to turn it on at the 12 minutes mark and not know what song it was they started with.
    I saw Aerosmith this summer..they jammed the shit out of sweet emotion..but it still sounded like sweet emotion.

I don't think I'd want to be at a show that a band played a 20min song and I said at the 12 min mark.."what the hell song is this again"
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #101
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Dave Matthews Band does not consider themselves a Jam Band, they never wanted to be considered a Jam Band. Dave has said this many times
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #102
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liljoey90 View Post
    Same here. I tried listening to them and just can't get into them. Music is all preference, but i have enough of a brain to realize that they are very talented, and there is no reason to bash them just because i don't like them. They are just very boring sounding to me, but people also say that about DMB. They also have a very old sound to me, DMB is more my style being as i grew up in the 90's and 00's. I was considering going to see Phish just to see if i can get into them live, they were right here at Jones beach a few weeks ago, but i figured i'd be really bored because i don't know any of their music, and anytime i try to listen to some stuff on youtube, i get bored and put DMB on.
    Exactly the reasons I couldn't really get into them. Clearly a very talented band and I love when Trey comes out and plays with Dave...but just not my thing.

I don't get why Phish fans bash dave matthews band and their fans so much, yet if we say one thing against Phish its the end of the world and we are all music idiots.
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #103
    pato

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    GFY!!!!

SteelersPenguinsPiratesPITT PanthersLakersOU
    pato is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #104
    liljoey90
    9 planets round the sun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Exactly the reasons I couldn't really get into them. Clearly a very talented band and I love when Trey comes out and plays with Dave...but just not my thing.

I don't get why Phish fans bash dave matthews band and their fans so much, yet if we say one thing against Phish its the end of the world and we are all music idiots.

I don't know either. Everything has to be a competition. It doesn't matter who is better, they are both great bands, listen to who you want. Another thing i hate is when people judge DMB on their fans at shows. DMB is my favorite band, and i don't even like a lot of fans at that shows. So what does that mean? I'm gonna stop listening to my favorite band because assholes go to shows? There are assholes out there that drink Coca-Cola at TGI Fridays with their burger, does that mean i'm not going to order my Coca-Cola and burger anymore? LOL, it's just ridiculous. DMB is who they are, no matter who goes to the shows.
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #105
    TheLastStop1992
    lol wut?

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

DMB just does a lot of Type 2 jamming which, in the end, is what almost every band does.
    TheLastStop1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #106
    liljoey90
    9 planets round the sun

My Tour Central Stats

To add, another reason why i think Phish fans attack DMB, is they must get jealous that DMB has had commercial success and they are doing so well. Not saying Phish isn't doing good, but why else would you come in here and pick on stupid shit about the band when they are doing extremely well? It's not like Dave comes on stage and tells the world "We are the best band ever." They are a humble band, appreciates all their fans, and keep to themselves. So there's no reason to get on them, but some Phish fans love it for some reason.
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #107
    Treigh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't think I'd want to be at a show that a band played a 20min song and I said at the 12 min mark.."what the hell song is this again"
    Believe it or not, that is one of the greatest feelings in the world and something I and many other phans long for, especially when your actually at the show. You just get so into it and lost in it and the lights gets dark, etc. Then your just like, damn this is amazing, what song is this? Oh shit... they're jamming!
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #108
    Treigh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop1992 View Post
    DMB just does a lot of Type 2 jamming which, in the end, is what almost every band does.
    I'm positive you have no clue what a type II jam is/what it means. Google it.
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #109
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Greatest feeling in the world?

You haven't felt many things in your life have you?
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #110
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm positive you have no clue what a type II jam is/what it means. Google it.
    We get it. Phish improvises and DMB doesn't. WHO CARES!!!!!!!!????
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #111
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

Location: Cawood Ledford Court at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Believe it or not, that is one of the greatest feelings in the world and something I and many other phans long for, especially when your actually at the show. You just get so into it and lost in it and the lights gets dark, etc. Then your just like, damn this is amazing, what song is this? Oh shit... they're jamming!
    yeah but some people arent into that so shut the hell up
    whygohome? is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #112
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i remember my first beer
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #113
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'll give him this, it is a pretty amazing feeling. When the whole place goes quiet and dark and everyone just listens to the music. It's really incredible.
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #114
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

OP needs a life, and probably needs to get laid.

/thread

Resatka is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #115
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whygohome? View Post
    yeah but some people arent into that so shut the hell up
    ...and then there's this. This is basically what this whole thread comes down to: some people just don't care whether or not DMB is a jam band. Sign me up.
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #116
    liljoey90
    9 planets round the sun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

So let me get this straight.... Because DMB doesn't play a completely different song in the middle of playing a song like "Crush" or #41 which is originally a beautiful piece of music, they aren't as good as another band? So if Justin Beiber starting singing random lyrics in the middle of one of his faget songs during his concert, it would make him a better singer than Andrea Bocelli because half way though you wouldn't know what song he was singing, and would get lost in the music?
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #117
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe if Phish could put together the type of music DMB can put together in the studio...songs like crush, bartender, two step, 41 then they wouldn't have to have you forget what song they are playing 12 mins into it.
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #118
    liljoey90
    9 planets round the sun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Maybe if Phish could put together the type of music DMB can put together in the studio...songs like crush, bartender, two step, 41 then they wouldn't have to have you forget what song they are playing 12 mins into it.

LMAO
    Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #119
    pato

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    bingo! dmbs worst studio work>>>>phishes best studio work

SteelersPenguinsPiratesPITT PanthersLakersOU
    pato is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #120
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

Location: Cawood Ledford Court at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pato View Post
    bingo! dmbs worst studio work>>>>phishes best studio work
    this is not true at all. its cool if you dont like phish, especially with some of the assholes on the internet, but stand up aint got SHIT on Billy Breathes, Junta, Rift, Hoist, Farmhouse, or even the white tape.

BCTS is better than any studio phish though. Crash too.
    whygohome? is offline   Reply With Quote