Re: ***Official Jones Beach (Wantagh, NY) 2012***
heres my review from last night.
first off a huge, huge thank you to ants member LieIn0urGraves for helping me out and selling me the GA ticket. im really sorry again for the delay dude. i've officially been spoiled for DMB shows. the pit was indescribable. being that close to the band, with the hardcore fans was just amazing. i got inside the venue at 5:30 and they let us into the GA area at 5:45, to which i got railed on stage right, smack between boyd and tim in front of one of the monitors, so my ears were ringing all day.
anyway, i met a lot of cool fans who had some great stories to tell about the band. fitz and the tantrums came on around 7:05ish to which dave introduced them. ive heard of them cause they played the caravan but actually never heard them before and let me tell you, they were a fun opener. very funky and groovy pop music. ill probably get some of their music, go check them out!
the show started approx 8:20.
- SMLAM is a fun opener, but it's big whiskey so im tired of hearing it. still a good opener though, gets everyone moving off the bat
- eh hee was alright, its a good tune but kinda brought the mood down after a hard hitter opener
- jimi was a great, you could tell it was gonna be a boyd night and i love boyd nights. he was just tearing it up from the start.
- big eyed into bartender is always a classic, it'll never get old for me. sounded great.
- so right was a pleasant surprise, love the horn section during that tune.
- i can't stand YMDT so i took the time to take photos during this one
- if only was enjoyable live, but not my favorite of the new tracks
- lie in our graves is always fun, another song for boyd to go off on, which i have zero objection
- im a sucker for write a song so i enjoyed it and thought it sounded good
- really pleasantly surprised with gaucho. i enjoyed the studio track and the tapes ive heard of it, but this is my favorite of the three new songs they've shown so far. great emotion when it goes into the break. the crowd seemed to like it and responded well
- i dont mind funny the way it is, but quite frankly if i never hear another song off of big whiskey, with the exception of why i am, LITHOG or baby blue, i wont be heart broken
- as soon as they started wheeling out the piano, i knew OOMH was coming and the mood went from up straight down. i wish someone would break the piano so that nobody else has to endure this song live for the rest of the tour. what an absolute set list killer.
- however, warehouse brought the mood right back up with several people, including myself trying to get a "louie, louie" chant going but it didn't catch. still, warehouse is a classic and very enjoyable in my mind. i enjoy rashawn and jeff going back and forth.
- so much to say was expected, brass monkey was not and it was awesome. everyone knew it right off the bat and just a great funky jam for them to go into. as soon as the too much fake started, i thought it was going into halloween, but alas, it was ants.
- ants is a staple and only fitting for boyd to really go off one last time in the evening and he doesn't disappoint. i really hope the new album utilizes him more than BW cause he's such a great presence for the band
- and then there was the not so anticlimatic bombstep encore. lots of energy with dave breaking two strings towards the very end. his tech came on stage with another guitar to switch out but he turned him away. i had hopes that it would go into something else, but nope, another two song encore. and just like that, the two night stand was over.
- carter tossed me a stick, not used but still cool none the less. def makes up for the debacle that happened at the end of the N2 caravan at randalls. also got a handshake from boyd after use showing him love right in front all night haha
if you've never been railed at a DMB show, you need to do it. spend the money, it's totally worth it. to really see the guys up close and how much interaction that goes on, it's really so cool. it was kinda like watching a three ring circus. i wasn't sure who to watch at times. the drummer in me was mesmerized on carter but dave was right there and then watching jeff and rashawn picking out new parts and improving. and boyd just jamming right there, just so much going on.
i'll be honest, on paper, most of the songs disappointed me because i thought i would see more or something that made me go "AH THAT WAS AWESOME" but i never had that moment when it came to a certain song. however, i did have a great time and saw the songs that i've seen 4,5 times in a new, amazing light. this was only show number 9 for me, im really hoping they hit MSG in the fall/winter time when the garden reopens.
2010: N2 Citi Field, Nassua Coliseum, MSG N1
2011: DMB Caravan Randall's Island and all of Govenors Island + D&T in the morning
2012: Jones Beach N1 & N2, IZOD Center N1 & 2, Barclays Center