**Official Charlotte 2013 Thread** - Page 284 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #8491
krobinson_3232

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Charlotte 2013 Thread**

so what was the poster? They didn't have any when I checked, and I didn't see anyone with one all night.
krobinson_3232 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #8492
    kristinmb

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evman88 View Post
    So disappointed with how the concert was handled. I had a lawn ticket and was told by three different security guards to report to the gates after the announcement. Of course me and my friends try to wait it out. After getting soaked in the lawn for nearly an hour we try to wait under one of the gates when a very rude ticket taker told us we had to leave. At 9:30 I asked another ticket taker what the word on the concert was and I quote, "It will most likely be canceled but if they do play it will be a shortened set." We walked to our cars and didn't hear music by the time we got there so we left. Honestly Verizon supervisors how hard is it to give your employees that are having to answer questions from dozens of fans proper information or a time estimate.

I'm so upset that I missed such a good set and because of such poor handling by the venue and to an extent DMB. It would have been nice to hear from Dave during the hour or so all the fans in the lawn were getting soaked. As for the venue the tickets say RAIN OR SHINE, your talent is nice in dry under the amphitheater so unless there is hail or a twister tearing thru there then let the show go on. This would have been my fifth time seeing Dave Matthews Band and my fourteenth concert at this venue. I don't plan on doing either again anytime soon.

Flame me if you want but it's not fun planning this day out with your brother and friends a month in advance, getting off work, driving 2 hours just to get misinformed and sent home early when the band was going to play within thirty minutes.
    The crew rep said lightning was headed directly over lawn. This was safety, if poorly communicated. I do think there was a very strong likelihood whole show going to be canceled. I bet they did not want to send whole crowd to cars at same time.

I figured they did not send Dave out because risk of canceling so high. And then crowd would be really upset with him if it went from delay to cancel. He intro'd JBT like he does every opening band (before storm).
    Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #8493
    kristinmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hpman247 View Post
    I just want to note that the reason there was a one song encore was simply because they had to rearrange the way they played the original set because of the delay.

I was pretty pissed when the show started bc of the delay and I assumed we'd get a short set, BUT WE DIDN'T. What actually happened was probably the best closing I will EVER see for a set. Not to mention LBV, Crazy Easy, Recently. That was incredible. Just incredible. I've never had such a high at a DMB show before, and I didn't even think there would be an encore after they did Two Step into Ants. THEN Halloween, and I knew it was done, but nope, they come back out and play Shake Me, which I could have done without, but still. A FUCKING MAZING Energy tonight!!!

Before rushing to judgements you have to understand how this all played out tonight. It was a clusterfuck and poorly handled by staff all around. I wasn't even sure if there would be a show myself when 9:15 rolled around, but thankfully there was, and it was a good one!

Here is the original set.
    It is unbelievable to me that anyone is complaining about encore given run/big picture of show (weather / ending run / time).
    Old 07-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #8494
    Taylor714914

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry for the poor whether guys, but you still had one hell of an epic show. Just hoping saves some of that for Bristow.
    Taylor714914 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #8495
    slowpc

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krobinson_3232 View Post
    so what was the poster? They didn't have any when I checked, and I didn't see anyone with one all night.
    I do have a poster so they did have some ... And I'm sure many were damaged in the rain but I'll try and get a picture of you all soon.
    slowpc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #8496
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Here's the poster

http://twitter.com/naclh2ocapo/statu...806979/photo/1
    Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #8497
    slowpc

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Beat me to it , thanks
    slowpc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #8498
    phatpig
    Thank You Roi

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    What does that have to do with DMB or Charlotte? I remember when I couldn't attend a show without grabbing a poster, now it's a surprise if I do purchase one
    phatpig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #8499
    Unedited

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

This show will go down as the most memorable for me for good and bad reasons. We had a sweet spot on the lawn, but moved up into the seats after the opening act. John butler trio is an ace opening act. When the downpour came we managed to sneak into the pavilion for a bit, and then got kicked out back out on to the uncovered area. The show finally got rolling and we got rained on until midset. I still can't believe I got to see Long Black Veil. Highlight was singing along with that in the rain. Kit Kat was really tight for a jam they haven't done in 3 years. Crazy Easy was good. Recently! I love that song as well. As many have said the DS>Two Step>Ants>Halloween run was epic. I didn't expect an encore but shake me wasn't bad. Grey St or tripping billies would have been the perfect choices but I'm not nitpicking after that set. Shitty weather, amazing show.
    Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #8500
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phatpig View Post
    What does that have to do with DMB or Charlotte? I remember when I couldn't attend a show without grabbing a poster, now it's a surprise if I do purchase one
    I can't answer either if those I have no idea but I think it looks cool and the boldness of the color really stand out to me. My fiancé and I have the poster to all three shows we've seen together including this one so for that reason I think it's cool.

But I could def understand not liking it or wanting it.
    Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #8501
    dmb_in_rain

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I am with Evman88 - was waiting in car until about 8:45 when horrible rain started. Hundred or so people came walking back to their cars and three different groups of people said the show was cancelled and one even provided us with info that the show would be made up and to save the ticket stub. I mean, we hadn't bought tickets so its fine as far as cost but I did come down to CLT mainly for Dave and missing that last five song run bums me. I saw they went on after we made it back to downtown (black veil being the place in the setlist) but we were off returning to the venue at that point. Sucks that it was mismanaged and communications were clearly not correct to some of the fans.

That... And I love watching Dave in the rain, of course. Oh well.

Last edited by dmb_in_rain; 07-25-2013 at 06:22 AM.
    dmb_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #8502
    dvemtthews

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I feel bad for everyone who actually listened to the staff and left. The only reason I showed up last night was to see DMB and I wasn't leaving until they kicked me out.

Charlotte '13 #49
    VA BEACH '13 #50
    dvemtthews is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #8503
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd say a large percentage of posters have very little to do with the band or city. This one is pretty unique and cool looking though. The Methane designs have been getting pretty tired and uninspired this year. They've only made one or two this year that I'd want to buy.
    ~Stephen 7.21.02, 9.11.03, 12.12.03, 7.10.04, 10.1.04, 6.25.05, 7.1.06, 7.2.06, 6.10.08, 6.27.08, 6.19.09, 6.26.10, 7.10.10, 6.3.12, 7.6.12, 7.7.12, 7.13.12, 7.14.12, 6.28.13, 6.29.13, 6.27.14, 6.28.14, 6.6.15

wampa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #8504
    HavnAGdTime

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Firstly, JBT tore that shit up son. Awesome stuff! I went from dead front center lawn to pavilion with everyone else and there mother after storm started. Met some amazing lesbians who gave me cheezits and an umbrella. Then went back with them to front of lawn. Found a poster on the ground.

Rain continued. Lightening continued. Show continued. JTR tease. Goddamit. Seven. Oh well. Fucking danced like there was no tomorrow. Shoes ruined, legs coated. Body soaked. Didn't care. It was a mud hole, but it was OUR mud hole.

I'm surprised we even got a show, let alone a full one. Let a lone one of the best I've ever seen. Cheers.
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #8505
    BustedJeff
    Rowsdower!

Shows Seen: 118

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Nice set, but mother of god is that the worst encore ever.
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #8506
    Bonz

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yea pretty dickish of Dave considering they are playing JTR on and off this tour. Axe Seven and open with JTR Dave
    geezus you sound like my whiney 3 year old with all your posts.

You do realize the band has no control over the weather right? You realize there is an 11pm curfew and they get fined $1000 per minute over. (told to me by event security) They said "no way" they would play past 11pm. No one does. Well unless they were given some sort of "pass" to play longer, you should be thanking your lucky stars you didnt get 1 1/2hr show.

You do realize that if the venue didnt evacuate the lawn, and someone got struck by lightning they would be sued. Plus someone might be dead.

And if someone left because of what a random security guy said, thats your problem, no one on the stage said the show would be cancelled.

And for the person who suggested Dave come out and talk to the crowd during the delay, really? And what do you think that would have done? It would have had people running to get back in. What did you want him to say?

Some of you people seem so entitled and spoiled little brats...

Last edited by Bonz; 07-25-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #8507
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Had a fucking blast...gonna post a full review a little later, or maybe just a run down of the night

Good to meet yall...Can't wait for va beach!
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #8508
    pruss25

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BustedJeff View Post
    The worst encore ever (BY FAR IMO) was in 2010 when they played Cornbread. We were lucky to get an encore at 11:30. After DS--2Step--Ants--Halloween I thought it was over because of the time constraint.
    pruss25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #8509
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BustedJeff View Post
    Wasn't even gonna be an encore...it was basically Dave saying lets give them one more and had to pick the shortest song possible...not the end of the world
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #8510
    40oz.

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    1 song encore was complete bullshit and once again DMB can not finish an epic main set in Charlotte by shitting on us in the encore. They delayed the show, don't punish the crowd for your decisions. The positives, that was one of the best main sets I have seen in a while. And Drunken->2 Step->Ants->Halloween? That's how you end a set!
    That's how it was supposed to end. (ants-Halloween encore). I like the way they did it as it held the crowds energy for that amazing set-ending run, as opposed to breaking it up the way it was on paper.
    40oz. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #8511
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Drove from Georgia Southern for the show. Finally got to see a show in Charlotte. After WPB for 2 nights, I thought they'd play something else I haven't ever seen live before (this was show #12) after Orange Beach got Crazy Easy.

We had lawn tickets. Of course it drizzled and rained on us but I knew the second they told people to leave that we weren't going to get fucked. It was from reading threads right here on Ants about people "huddling up in bathrooms" during DMB storms (in that thread about worst weather at a DMB show) and such YESTERDAY that I said "We are not leaving this venue until they say it's canceled 100% and everyone leaves. The band could come on at any second and we'd have no idea." So we went and walked around the soaked concourse, stood on the lawn for a little bit, walked around more, stood by the bathrooms, etc. Just fucking around. We had been back in the lawn for about 10 minutes before Dave came on. I knew some lawn people were just following instructions but it's a high probability you'll get fucked if you flat out leave the venue. I know it's safety though.

I thought DDTW would open. JTR tease was weird - why not the whole song? First 3 songs (Seven, BBN, Broken Things) were alright. I was on a big BBN kick earlier this year but now it's turned into a kick for Broken Things so even though they were 3 post-2008 songs I enjoyed them.

Granny! Song is always a blast. Into #41. Show getting good at this point. DDTW in there. Long Black Veil! Second time I have seen it this year after WPB N1. Pretty rare song. Back to Big Whiskey with Funny. I said I hope this is the last Big Whiskey song of the night....

Crazy Easy was a surprise because I thought they'd skip it in Charlotte. I like it. At this point I am wondering where Stanley is because I had been really stoked for his appearance. No Stanley but Runnin Down A Dream. This is their 2nd best cover this year after Reaper. I think this is the point when it stopped raining on us. Kit Kat Jam followed, wow. 3 TDs in 3 shows for me this summer. Atlanta would never get that shit. More Recently, got it in WPB and I'll take it. Right into You & Me....my girlfriend loves it so ok she got a song she wanted haha.

Now it gets interesting. At this point in the show Dave gives his little speech he usually gives before the encore. And they go into Drunken Soldier. I said ok this is probably song 15 so it's probably this and then one encore song and they're out of here. After the song they launch into Two Step. WOW I am very pleased with the ending at this point. I wanted a DS->Two Step this year and I finally got it. I was sure this was time for the encore. NOPE. Band just goes into Ants and the crowd explodes. Place is rocking on Ants. Surely THAT'S it for the main set - an epic 3 song run. AND THERE'S HALLOWEEN!! Second Halloween in 3 shows for me. Absolutely crazy. People around me were like and were blowing up. Really cool ending and definitely the best I have seen to ever end a main set. Nasty!

Encore of course can't live up to that...there's not much left and they haven't done Watchtower a lot lately so I figured when they came back out when Carter was still walking around the stage that it would be something short. Finally I get a Shake Me closer....I knew one was coming sometime haha. But I'd be interested in seeing the physical setlist for this show. What was REALLY the encore? Thankfully I don't hate Shake Me as much as I did earlier this year - it wasn't bad but I always like longer songs to close. However considering the rain and the circumstances it was fine and it topped off a great show!

Glad I stayed during the rain, didn't leave/fucked around walking around the venue for like 45 mins or so before DMB and enjoyed a great show. I hope Stanley can come out next year.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #8512
    pruss25

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    geezus you sound like my whiney 3 year old with all your posts.

You do realize the band has no control over the weather right? You realize there is an 11pm curfew and they get fined $1000 per minute over. (told to me by event security) They said "no way" they would play past 11pm. No one does. Well unless they were given some sort of "pass" to play longer, you should be thanking your lucky stars you didnt get 1 1/2hr show.

You do realize that if the venue didnt evacuate the lawn, and someone got struck by lightning they would be sued. Plus someone might be dead.

And if someone left because of what a random security guy said, thats your problem, no one on the stage said the show would be cancelled.

And for the person who suggested Dave come out and talk to the crowd during the delay, really? And what do you think that would have done? It would have had people running to get back in. What did you want him to say?

Some of you people seem so entitled and spoiled little brats...
    haha, nice. No complaints here. Epic show...and for the record, I love Seven live. No one can complain with the run of songs we got in the middle of that show and to end it the way they did is phenomenal. One of the best shows I've been to. Charlotte gets a bad rep sometimes, but the boys have torn it up the last few years.
    pruss25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #8513
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    This must be looking out from Boyd's pubes.
    Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #8514
    kristinmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Wasn't even gonna be an encore...it was basically Dave saying lets give them one more and had to pick the shortest song possible...not the end of the world
    This just doesn't seem that hard to figure out, no? Leave it to ants to fuss about it.
    Old 07-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #8515
    Othello-5

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb_in_rain View Post
    I am with Evman88 - was waiting in car until about 8:45 when horrible rain started. Hundred or so people came walking back to their cars and three different groups of people said the show was cancelled and one even provided us with info that the show would be made up and to save the ticket stub. I mean, we hadn't bought tickets so its fine as far as cost but I did come down to CLT mainly for Dave and missing that last five song run bums me. I saw they went on after we made it back to downtown (black veil being the place in the setlist) but we were off returning to the venue at that point. Sucks that it was mismanaged and communications were clearly not correct to some of the fans.

That... And I love watching Dave in the rain, of course. Oh well.
    They never said the show was canceled. The guy announcing the evac. clearly said that the show would go on, and that they would call people back in. Drunk people from the lawn who were asked to leave might not have understood all that, or they might have talked to some uninformed security or staff, but the official delay announcement never once hinted that the show was or would be canceled.
    Othello-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #8516
    Othello-5

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristinmb View Post
    That was my 10 year old who got two sticks from Carter-- right next to a three year old on another set of shoulders.
    Loved that the crowd went nuts both times Carter handed the sticks to the kids. Gave me a little more faith in humanity it did.
    Othello-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #8517
    kristinmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Othello-5 View Post
    Loved that the crowd went nuts both times Carter handed the sticks to the kids. Gave me a little more faith in humanity it did.
    The fact that most everyone tried to make sure mine was on rail in front of dave or close to it all night (I was back a bit-- could always see him clearly) restored my faith in humanity too. People were so cool to him. He is forever spoiled for any concert.
    Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #8518
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Jesus Christ I love Charlotte.
    Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #8519
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    who knows... but the artwork is great, IMO. Best of the tour along with Nate Duval's Jones Beach print.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #8520
    slygrooves2dmb2
    Could I have been?

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajc_1988 View Post
    Jesus Christ I love Charlotte.
    Agreed! The place is magical. Even when everyone rushed the pavilion they were nice about it.
    slygrooves2dmb2 is offline   Reply With Quote