Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #121
gcasey

Shows Seen: 0

Re: Rank the Big Whiskey Songs

When I was a kid I would buy albums and "hope" there was 2 or 3 really good songs on it. And that was from really good groups. After about a week I would play the same 2 or 3 songs over and over again. When I put in Groogrux, I play it from start to finish because every song I either really like or has parts in it that I really like. Overall I think a great CD. They may not be "POP" enough but I think this is worthy of "Grammy" consideration. Any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #122
lapointeric

Shows Seen: 5
Send a message via ICQ to lapointeric

LITHOG
Beach Ball
Seven
Why I Am
Squirm
Shake Me
You and Me
Time Bomb
Little Red Bird
Spaceman
Write a Song
Funny the Way it is
Alligator Pie
Baby Blue
Dive In
Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #123
UtopiaAnts+ Site Supporter
Minutes and hours

Shows Seen: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcasey View Post
When I was a kid I would buy albums and "hope" there was 2 or 3 really good songs on it. And that was from really good groups. After about a week I would play the same 2 or 3 songs over and over again. When I put in Groogrux, I play it from start to finish because every song I either really like or has parts in it that I really like. Overall I think a great CD. They may not be "POP" enough but I think this is worthy of "Grammy" consideration. Any thoughts?
I think it's got a good shot; it's certainly the most likely of anything they've released in the last decade, so here's to hoping, yet, the grammies continue to disappoint me.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #124
HolyCow
Cubs Win!

Shows Seen: 11

1. Squirm (as good as it gets)
2. Lying in the Hands of God
3. Why I Am
4. Alligator Pie
5. Shake Me Like a Monkey
6. Time Bomb
7. Seven
8. Spaceman
9. Baby Blue
10. You and Me
11. Funny the Way It Is
12. Dive In

And don't get me wrong - the only song I really skip is Dive In, but the song is excellent live. So overall, good album.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #125
NCAA1981

Shows Seen: 37

I feel like I've made this list a dozen times in the past two weeks, and it changes every time. Here's the latest... (in tiers)

CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO:

Seven
Squirm
Shake Me Like a Monkey
Alligator Pie

A CUT BELOW THOSE, BUT STILL VERY GOOD:

Why I Am
Spaceman
Baby Blue
Lying in the Hands of God

NOT BAD, BUT I TEND TO SKIP:

Funny the Way It Is
Dive In

I COULD REALLY DO WITHOUT:

You and Me
Time Bomb

And if we're counting the bonus tracks, Write a Song would be safely in the "can't stop listening to" category.

Springsteen:
5/5... 5/18
Old 06-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #126
killerangel

Shake Me Like A Monkey
Spaceman
Dive In
Alligator Pie

Squirm
Funny the Way it is
Why I Am
Time Bomb

You and Me
Seven
My Baby Blue

Though I truly enjoy every song....love that about this album.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #127
lindZ629
I got a stew going

Shows Seen: 16

Why I Am
Shake Me Like A Monkey
You and Me
Squirm
Dive In
Time Bomb
Spaceman
Seven
Funny the Way It Is
Baby Blue
Alligator Pie

Something like that. The first 2 songs and last 2 are in their correct spots, the rest are approximates.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #128
Minutes and hours

So after tallying votes on the first page, cuz it takes too long and too many people are incapable of ranking BWGGK songs (ie.leaving some out, adding songs that don't exist, etc...) here's a rough ranking. It would probably change if I had the patience to take all the rankings (favorite to least) into account:

Lying In The Hands Of God
(Grux) Shake Me Like A Monkey
Squirm
Seven
Why I Am
Alligator Pie
Time Bomb
Space Man
Baby Blue
Dive In
You and Me
Funny The Way It Is

I'm still clueless as to why a lot of people chose to put Baby Blue in the bottom...I think people's interpretation of the song may be incorrect. It's definitely about Roi, which I guess is why I put it in my top five...to each their own.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #129
JohnK86
Mr.Cool

Update:

Squirm
Seven
Time Bomb
Shake Me Like A Monkey
Lying In The Hands Of God
Funny The Way It Is
Why I Am
Spaceman
Little Red Bird
Alligator Pie
Beach Ball
Baby Blue
Cornbread
Write A Song
You And Me
Dive In
Old 06-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #130
rivergumrob

Shows Seen: 3

You and Me really seems to be a love/hate (maybe more like love/dislike) song doesnt it...
I love it, but thats my opinion...

SHOWS: 5/5/07 - Sydney, Australia, 15/4/14 - Sydney, Australia, 17/4/14 - Melbourne, Australia
Old 06-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #131
JohnK86
Mr.Cool

Just changed my mind...Alligator Pie would be #5 for me.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #132
trippingant
In too deep

Shows Seen: 20

I'm one of those rare people that never really got a good listen to it until I got the cd for my birthday last weekend. I listened to the Pandora stream a few times, but it was crappy audio on crappy laptop speakers. So far:

1. Shake Me Like A Monkey (favorite from the beginning and still is)
2. Time Bomb (Dreaming Tree meets Two Step intro meets Rhyme & Reason )
3. Alligator Pie (was toward the bottom, steadily climbing, love the bridge)
4. You & Me (first genuinely good single-worthy 'ballad' since Crush)
5. Funny The Way It Is (tried not to discriminate since I've heard it the most and its a radio tune - still a good song)
6. Spaceman (love the feel/groove)
7. Squirm (may need more time to grow on me)
8. Why I Am (this may climb)
9. Lying In The Hands Of God (also might climb)
10. Dive In (started out near the top, steadily falling, but still decent song)
11. Seven (can see why some love it, good horns and drumming, just not that into it)
12. Baby Blue (sucks this had to be last, love the emotion in Dave's voice)

Overall I think this album is just below the Big 3 and just above Busted Stuff.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #133
walter

Shows Seen: 26

1. LITHOG
2. Dive In
3. Squirm
4. Grux--Shake Me Like A Monkey
5. Alligator Pie
6. Baby Blue
7. Why I Am
8. Seven
9. Spaceman
10. You and Me
11. Time Bomb
12. Funny The Way It Is

For now at least.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #134
Squirm41
Squirm41

Shows Seen: 12

1. Squirm
2. Time bomb
3. Grux/Shake me like a monkey
4. Why I am
5. Seven
6. Alligator Pie
7. Lying in the hands of God
8. Spaceman
9. Funny the way it is
10. You and me
11. Dive in
12. Baby blue
Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #135
AM Son

Can't rank the entire album yet... but I think Dive In is near the top for me. I've consistently seen this song near the bottom of many lists, and can't really figure out why...
Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #136
Milenk
Condor Calamity

Shows Seen: 41
Send a message via AIM to Milenk

Here's Mine As Of Today:

1. Funny The Way It Is - It jumps, it rocks and rolls, pure Dave Matthews Band, love it. Love that they opened N2 at Hartford with it.
2. Dive In - Love it, love the lyrics, the music, it's great.
3. Alligator Pie - Wish it was about a minute longer, but what's there is great.
4. Why I Am - Grows on me, sort of like Big Whiskey's Tripping Billies.
5. Lying In The Hands Of God - Beautiful music.
6. Spaceman - Wasn't high on the list at first but is also growing on me, I really like it.
7. Time Bomb - Awesome live but the 'JeSuUuSsSs' at the end makes me cringe for some reason and then the out of tune chord at the very end makes it feel like a throwaway song in those last seconds. The transition from quiet to hard could've been done in a more awesome manner perhaps. Maybe it is #1 if we are talking live songs, but I'm talking studio cuts.
8. Shake Me Like A Monkey - The Rapunzel lyrics to start off the album are : 'Look so good I want to eat you up,' maybe girls like that shit better. The transition from Grux is the sickest we've ever heard though.
9. Squirm - The first time I heard this song it felt like a worm was boring it's way through the tip of my big toe right before the final part where everything goes quiet and then the drums kick in. I was driving and it made me freak out, that scared me and since then I've avoided it. I played this song at a party where people were drinking and wouldn't have heard it yet and people had some fuckin' weird cringing freaking out reactions cause they were all drunk and under the power of the SQUIRM LEECH BORING IT'S WAY INTO YOUR BODY FROM THE TIP OF YOUR BIG TOE. Scary shit man.
10. Baby Blue - I like it, it reminds of a pink floyd song that I can't quite pick out. It is light but at the same time there is something omnious about it in one or more of the chords.
11. Seven - I guess this is good cause it is in 7/4 time, Dave's singing and lyrics is just kinda annoying: 'Love you love you love you you you you.' Gimme a break man. It'll probably grow on me though.
12. You And Me - 'You and me together! We're gonna fly!' A big slice of cheese. It is like Dave's song about his happiness family, can't relate to it.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #137
Socks
Nifty

Shows Seen: 2

Seven
Aliigator Pie
Squirm
the rest

last.fm
Old 06-20-2009, 01:51 AM   #138
wackybasilisk
Drum beats louder...

Shows Seen: 15

My list, for today, is:

1. Time Bomb (if that isn't passion, then passion doesn't exist)
2. SMLAM
3. Squirm
4. Alligator Pie
5. Seven
6. Why I Am
7. LITHOG
8. You & Me
9. Dive In
10. Grux
11. Baby Blue
12. Spaceman
13. FTWII
Old 06-20-2009, 02:17 AM   #139
ShakingMonkey
Snake in the woodpile.

This is long, but don't read it if you don't want to. I just like rating things thoroughly.

1. Lying in the Hands of God: This song is some of the most compelling beautiful music I've heard. So many pleasing layers and well-executed lyrics. Awesome awesome tune. They need to write more things like this in my opinion.

2. Seven: Tight, sexy vocals. Impressive rhythmic mastery at work here, and Carter shows his endless skill from beginning to end. But it's #2 mostly because it's a pure funk deep-groove jam that gets me hot

3. Squirm: Very good structure and it reminds me of old-school DMB, only with a rougher edge to it. It's unique, mysterious, and Carter's sudden drum fill in the middle is so pumping. Great tune, great lyrics, sick beat.

4. Grux: I love Roi's style. Very appropriate way to open the album. Very calming, yet it sparks some suspense. I just like it a lot.

5. Shake Me Like A Monkey: BAHAHA the lyrics aren't great but man, what amazing music. Mind-numbing intro, and clever guitar riffs throughout this thing. The horns are well placed and melodically this monster is just downright sexy, and it's just as good live.

6. Why I Am: Really really really fun riff. I'm glad they put this on the album, not only because it's for Roi, but it's just got a lot of fun energy that reminds me of summer and rock music. Some of Carter's double-kick work here is astounding, just listen for it if you haven't already.

7. Funny The Way It Is: The reason this is placed here is because I am too fascinated with the other tunes to rank this one any higher at the moment. But I still love the lyrics of this, as well as the unique driving rhythm it's got. Cool drum intro. Slamming outro. Relatively solid song.

8. Alligator Pie: THIS IS SO FUN (just because it's #8 doesn't mean I don't like it). Swampy, New Orleans hillbilly feel. And the groove between Stefan and Carter is killer. It sounds lyric-less at first but listen to it more. It's got decent structure. It's just a little looser than some other songs. I just wish it had more contrast between verses and choruses, but hey thats the brakes.

9. Spaceman: Not sure what to think of this yet, but it's got some nice qualities to it. Great layers between the guitars and drums, and I like the rhythm with which Dave sings the verses. I don't really like the chorus structure. Sounds thrown together, but I might just need to let it grow on me.

10. Time Bomb: The only part I truly like about this is the beginning, because it's so calming and serene. The intermediate music right after the drums enter is a very cool part as well. I don't particularly like the Foo Fighers electric guitar blow-up at the end, but I appreciate the honesty with which Dave sings the blaring vocals at the close. It's interesting to me at least.

11. You & Me: Even though I can enjoy this tune, there's not a whole lot about it that makes it an apparent DMB song other than Dave's acoustic playing. Cheesey lyrics, but hey he can afford that every 15 songs or so I think.

12. My Baby Blue: I've never really liked stuff like this, but for what it is I think it's well done for the most part. I think it might have been cool for the band to lightly come in at the end and then carry it out instrumentally or something.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #140
Minutes and hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenk View Post
Here's Mine As Of Today:

9. Squirm - The first time I heard this song it felt like a worm was boring it's way through the tip of my big toe right before the final part where everything goes quiet and then the drums kick in. I was driving and it made me freak out, that scared me and since then I've avoided it. I played this song at a party where people were drinking and wouldn't have heard it yet and people had some fuckin' weird cringing freaking out reactions cause they were all drunk and under the power of the SQUIRM LEECH BORING IT'S WAY INTO YOUR BODY FROM THE TIP OF YOUR BIG TOE. Scary shit man.
Step away from the acid...
Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #141
BigEyedFerg
Content and dreaming

Shows Seen: 23
Send a message via AIM to BigEyedFerg

1. Squirm
2. LITHOG
3. Why I Am
4. Alligator Pie
5. SMLAM
6. Seven
7. Time Bomb
8. Spaceman
9. My Baby Blue
10. Dive In
11. Funny The Way It Is

12. You and Me
Old 06-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #142
Skittles72

Shows Seen: 21

1-Seven
2-Time Bomb
3-Lying In The Hands Of God
4-Squirm
5-Why I Am
6-Grux
7-Alligator Pie
8-You And Me
9-Dive In
10-My Baby Blue
11-Shake Me Like A Monkey
12-Funny The Way It Is
13-Spaceman
Old 06-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #143
ProudestMonkE41

Shows Seen: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
Step away from the acid...
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing lol

Thats the weirdest criticism I've seen about Squirm

Milenk, all I gotta say is keep listening to Squirm and Seven because maybe one listen it will click for you like it did for me. Two best songs on the album IMO
Old 06-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #144
Minutes and hours

So, because I get bored at work, I decided to calculate how many times people put a certain song at the top of their list. Here are the results:

1)Squirm - 36 votes
2)LITHOG- 25 votes
3)SMLAM- 10 votes
4)Seven/Time Bomb- 7 votes each
5)Why I Am- 6 votes
6)Spaceman- 5 votes
7) Baby Blue- 2 votes
8)FTWII/Alligator Pie- 1 vote each
9)You and Me/Dive In- Nan votes

I definitely agree with the top three, and Squirm is my favorite, but I'm still surprised to see how many people put it as their fave.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #145
trippingant
In too deep

Shows Seen: 20

Mine has changed a little in the past few days.

1. Shake Me Like A Monkey
2. Time Bomb
3. Alligator Pie
4. You & Me
5. Spaceman
6. Squirm
7. Why I Am
8. Funny The Way It Is
9. Lying In The Hands Of God
10. Dive In
11. Seven
12. Baby Blue
Old 06-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #146
pbd223
Poetry & Prose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42km View Post
Watch Dive In rise to a top 3 position on most rankings by the end of this tour....this will
be a classic !!!
lol

1. Spaceman
2. Lying in the Hands of God
3. Squirm
4. Why I Am
5. Shake Me Like a Monkey
6. Seven
7. Baby Blue
8. Funny the Way it is
9. Time Bomb

10. Dive In
11. Alligator Pie
12. You and Me

I'm still deciding whether or not I actually like this album, or still reeling from the awfulness of Stand Up and would like anything after it.

Good for now though!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #147
aoeiifreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergumrob View Post
You and Me really seems to be a love/hate (maybe more like love/dislike) song doesnt it...
I love it, but thats my opinion...
Yep, my thoughts exactly. As long as I love it, it's good enough for me.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #148
pbd223
Poetry & Prose

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
Yep, my thoughts exactly. As long as I love it, it's good enough for me.

I honestly don't think it's entirely a bad song. The verse is catchy but the chorus is just terrible.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #149
atrippingbillie
i'm a Dreamer.

Send a message via AIM to atrippingbillie Send a message via Yahoo to atrippingbillie

seven is top 15 for me
Old 06-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #150
atrippingbillie
i'm a Dreamer.

Send a message via AIM to atrippingbillie Send a message via Yahoo to atrippingbillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenk View Post
Here's Mine As Of Today:

1. Funny The Way It Is - It jumps, it rocks and rolls, pure Dave Matthews Band, love it. Love that they opened N2 at Hartford with it.
2. Dive In - Love it, love the lyrics, the music, it's great.
3. Alligator Pie - Wish it was about a minute longer, but what's there is great.
4. Why I Am - Grows on me, sort of like Big Whiskey's Tripping Billies.
5. Lying In The Hands Of God - Beautiful music.
6. Spaceman - Wasn't high on the list at first but is also growing on me, I really like it.
7. Time Bomb - Awesome live but the 'JeSuUuSsSs' at the end makes me cringe for some reason and then the out of tune chord at the very end makes it feel like a throwaway song in those last seconds. The transition from quiet to hard could've been done in a more awesome manner perhaps. Maybe it is #1 if we are talking live songs, but I'm talking studio cuts.
8. Shake Me Like A Monkey - The Rapunzel lyrics to start off the album are : 'Look so good I want to eat you up,' maybe girls like that shit better. The transition from Grux is the sickest we've ever heard though.
10. Baby Blue - I like it, it reminds of a pink floyd song that I can't quite pick out. It is light but at the same time there is something omnious about it in one or more of the chords.
11. Seven - I guess this is good cause it is in 7/4 time, Dave's singing and lyrics is just kinda annoying: 'Love you love you love you you you you.' Gimme a break man. It'll probably grow on me though.
12. You And Me - 'You and me together! We're gonna fly!' A big slice of cheese. It is like Dave's song about his happiness family, can't relate to it.

we pretty much have opposite list