No Alpine in 2014? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #31
rlpi100

Shows Seen: 67

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: No Alpine in 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
I live in Minneapolis. I'm willing to drive the 5 hours to Alpine every year because it's one of the best venues in the country (used to drive 8 hours every year when I used to live in North Dakota). What's the compelling reason to drive the extra distance for Milwaukee or Chicago for people living in Minnesota? I feel like the people living in the upper midwest outside Milwaukee and Chicago got completely fucked this year.
Well, for one thing, there are about a billion other things to do in Chicago, than in East Troy, WI.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #32
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I live in Minneapolis. I'm willing to drive the 5 hours to Alpine every year because it's one of the best venues in the country (used to drive 8 hours every year when I used to live in North Dakota). What's the compelling reason to drive the extra distance for Milwaukee or Chicago for people living in Minnesota? I feel like the people living in the upper midwest outside Milwaukee and Chicago got completely fucked this year.
    Alpine is an awesome venue but lets face it:

People living in the middle of nowhere driving to the city makes much more sense than everyone driving to the middle of nowhere.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #33
    DmBFan713

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
    not to mention, calling a venue that got a bad rap last year because of some rainy days a "dump" isn't even close to accurate. the venue has the city's skyline behind it with the lake on the other side. it's a gorgeous set up. not to mention, Alpine was one of the biggest pain in the ass venues to get to ever.

with the market Chicago has, i'd fully agree. these shows are way more accessible to way more people. i know a few older fans who never really feel like travelling all the way to Alpine for some shows but will more than likely buy tickets to these.
    As someone who HAS traveled to a magnitude of venues and not just in the US and not just for DMB shows I am confident in my opinion of both summer fest and NI. Both venues have terrible sound and sight issues. While i definitely agree with you on the fact that our beautiful city is in the background makes it better then say tinley park. it doesn't make up for its shortcomings.

As far as Alpine being a pain in the ass, I would like to ask how so? Chicagoans can make a day trip out of it or stay in lake geneva, fontana, or any of the other towns nearby and be only a 20 minute drive away. I dont think its a pain in the ass at all maybe not as convenient as taking the L or the Metra but worth the gas money and road trip.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #34
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    unfortunately, chicago is more important than minnesota and wisconsin, and a much more consistent & untapped market

i'm sure it sucks for minn and wisconsin, but it's better for pretty much everyone else, including the band

and "one of the best venues" argument is straight opinion. how many other venues have you been to that host shows like these? it's a change, get over it
    I've been to SPAC, Gorge, Red Rocks, and the Greek Theatre (Berkeley). Alpine is #2 behind Red Rocks.

How is eliminating shows at Alpine and adding a single show in Milwaukee "better for pretty much everyone else"? Again, they have always played shows in Chicago in addition to Alpine. The Chicago thing really isn't anything "different". The only thing different is that Alpine is out and Milwaukee is in (with only 1 show too).

Last edited by Benny003; 01-14-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #35
    dtddmbfan
    Fighting for others

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

A Dave and Tim acoustic set at Alpine would be really tough - the venue is simply to large for the format they are shooting for.
    Just trying to make sure everyone is paid right!
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #36
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They have always played shows in Chicago in addition to Alpine. They used to always do Tinley Park (is that where they are playing this year?) in addition to Alpine. So what they are doing this year is not a suitable replacement for what they have done in previous years. This is simply downgrading what they have done in previous years in terms of tour locations.
    no, they're not playing at Tinley Park (which is where I'm from and is a legit 45 minute drive from downtown). they're playing smack dab in the middle of Chicago at Northerly Island, which is a new and beautiful open air venue. granted, they got a bad rap last year because of the rains that fell during some of their shows, but this, logistically speaking, makes way more sense.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #37
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've been to SPAC, Gorge, Red Rocks, and the Greek Theatre (Berkeley). Alpine is #2 behind Red Rocks.

How is eliminating shows at Alpine and adding a single show in Milwaukee "better for pretty much everyone else"? Again, they have always played shows in Chicago in addition to Alpine. The Chicago thing really isn't anything "different". The only different is that Alpine is out and Milwaukee is in.
    well, probably the fact that they can't sell 80,000 tickets for a 2 nighter anymore, that's number 1....number 2, by eliminating alpine and moving to northerly, the hope is to get the alpine crowd down to chicago, which MAKES PERFECT SENSE...ticket sales are down, this will provide a boost almost certainly

and to the bolded, you are just stating opinion, again
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #38
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DmBFan713 View Post
    As someone who HAS traveled to a magnitude of venues and not just in the US and not just for DMB shows I am confident in my opinion of both summer fest and NI. Both venues have terrible sound and sight issues. While i definitely agree with you on the fact that our beautiful city is in the background makes it better then say tinley park. it doesn't make up for its shortcomings.

As far as Alpine being a pain in the ass, I would like to ask how so? Chicagoans can make a day trip out of it or stay in lake geneva, fontana, or any of the other towns nearby and be only a 20 minute drive away. I dont think its a pain in the ass at all maybe not as convenient as taking the L or the Metra but worth the gas money and road trip.
    i'd completely beg to differ on sound at Northerly Island. unless you're in the lawn, the sound is actually very decent. i'll never sit in the lawn anywhere again because the level loss in that great of a distance sucks anyways.

and not everyone wants to make a day out of Alpine and spend a whole day/overnight in wisconsin. some people would like to head home after the show. many people in chicago will be able to do just that.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #39
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone saying eliminating Alpine is acceptable because it eliminates a venue that isn't near a major city is delusional. Have any of you been to the Gorge? Have any of you flown to get to SPAC? Those venues are no easy travel destinations either and Alpine is certainly no worse than those venues. So no, I don't buy that eliminating Alpine makes more logistical sense or at least no more logistical sense than keeping SPAC and the Gorge.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #40
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

DMB fans are getting old. Camping is a task. I'd rather go back to my condo in the city.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #41
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    well, probably the fact that they can't sell 80,000 tickets for a 2 nighter anymore, that's number 1....number 2, by eliminating alpine and moving to northerly, the hope is to get the alpine crowd down to chicago, which MAKES PERFECT SENSE...ticket sales are down, this will provide a boost almost certainly

and to the bolded, you are just stating opinion, again
    I really don't care if they want to add shows in Chicago. They used to always play Chicago AND Alpine. It's just plain stupid to eliminate Alpine.

Also, there is no disputing that among the DMB community Alpine is in the top 3 venues of regularly scheduled tour stops. Yes, I am in a position to make that statement.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #42
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    DMB fans are getting old. Camping is a task. I'd rather go back to my condo in the city.
    I'd love to as well. When is the Minneapolis tour date?
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #43
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Anyone saying eliminating Alpine is acceptable because it eliminates a venue that isn't near a major city is delusional. Have any of you been to the Gorge? Have any of you flown to get to SPAC? Those venues are no easy travel destinations either and Alpine is certainly no worse than those venues. So no, I don't buy that eliminating Alpine makes more logistical sense or at least no more logistical sense than keeping SPAC and the Gorge.
    yes, i've been to the Gorge. but what outdoor venue is in washington that's big enough to support DMB other than the Gorge? what outdoor venue is big enough to support DMB in NY other than SPAC and Darien Lake? with the addition of a new outdoor, 30k capacity venue in Downtown Chicago, it makes plenty of sense.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #44
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really don't care if they want to add shows in Chicago. They used to always play Chicago AND Alpine. It's just plain stupid to eliminate Alpine.

Also, there is no disputing that among the DMB community Alpine is in the top 3 venues of regularly scheduled tour stops. Yes, I am in a position to make that statement.
    No, no they didn't. They use to always play Tinley Park and Alpine. Chicago is literally almost right in between them.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #45
    jrlachance

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stretch886 View Post
    WHY?!?!??! Why would they do that to us? Did we do something wrong? Is Dave mad at us about something?

I can't believe we got replaced by Summerfest and Chicago instead. So awful!
    They only sold 67.25% of all available tix last year. Gotta think that is the reason.

Jul 05, 2013 Dave Matthews Band, Grace Potter and The Nocturnals Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy 2 shows 0 sellouts Gross=$2,452,547 total sold=47,882 available=71,200 percent sold=67.25% avg price $51.22
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #46
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

They also use to have more fans.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #47
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yes, i've been to the Gorge. but what outdoor venue is in washington that's big enough to support DMB other than the Gorge? what outdoor venue is big enough to support DMB in NY other than SPAC and Darien Lake? with the addition of a new outdoor, 30k capacity venue in Downtown Chicago, it makes plenty of sense.
    I'm not saying they should eliminate the Gorge or SPAC. I'm saying it's stupid to make the argument that eliminating Alpine makes logistical sense for people traveling. People have to travel to the Gorge and SPAC equally as much as they traveled to Alpine.

Also, NY has lots of outdoor venues. There isn't a "need" for a show in Saratoga Springs. They go there because they like the venue. Same reason for the Gorge.

Quote:
    No, no they didn't. They use to always play Tinley Park and Alpine. Chicago is literally almost right in between them.
    So what you're saying is that when DMB played Alpine and Tinley Park that people living in Chicago didn't get any shows on that tour? The fact is that they played both Alpine and a "Chicago area" show(s) at Tinley Park. If they feel so compelled to play a Chicago show, that's fine, but it doesn't mean Alpine needs to be eliminated.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #48
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    They also use to have more fans.
    That is true. When SPAC gets eliminated some year because they decide to move all the NY shows to the NYC area I'll make sure to tell all the people who made yearly trips to SPAC that they should just suck it up and stop complaining.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #49
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm not saying they should eliminate the Gorge or SPAC. I'm saying it's stupid to make the argument that eliminating Alpine makes logistical sense for people traveling. People have to travel to the Gorge and SPAC equally as much as they traveled to Alpine.

Also, NY has lots of outdoor venues. There isn't a "need" for a show in Saratoga Springs. They go there because they like the venue. Same reason for the Gorge.

So what you're saying is that when DMB played Alpine and Tinley Park that people living in Chicago didn't get any shows on that tour? The fact is that they played both Alpine and a "Chicago area" show(s) at Tinley Park. If they feel so compelled to play a Chicago show, that's fine, but it doesn't mean Alpine needs to be eliminated.
    to part A: then why didn't they go to Alpine? they love that venue. it's been said a million times. there's a bigger reason. and it's logistics.

to part B: i didn't say Chicago didn't get any shows. what i said is that this new venue is between both Alpine and Tinley Park, meaning these shows will sell out, unlike the 67% capacity Alpine touched on last year. there's a greater amount of people.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #50
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That is true. When SPAC gets eliminated some year because they decide to move all the NY shows to the NYC area I'll make sure to tell all the people who made yearly trips to SPAC that they should just suck it up and stop complaining.
    Agreed..
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #51
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    to part A: then why didn't they go to Alpine? they love that venue. it's been said a million times. there's a bigger reason. and it's logistics.

to part B: i didn't say Chicago didn't get any shows. what i said is that this new venue is between both Alpine and Tinley Park, meaning these shows will sell out, unlike the 67% capacity Alpine touched on last year. there's a greater amount of people.
    To part A: I'm saying they made a mistake in my opinion.

To Part B: For people used to going to Alpine and don't live in Chicago (which was a lot of people), it's a downgrade. Simple as that. For those of us not living in Chicago in the upper midwest, we do have a right to complain about this. If a venue you loved that you've been going to for 10 years straight got eliminated from the tour I would have to imagine you wouldn't be pleased either.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #52
    rlpi100

Shows Seen: 67

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Benny, if you always drive 5 hours to Alpine, why not drive the few extra hours to Chicago, and enjoy an awesome city, and 2 shows at a new beautiful venue?
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #53
    Borat Sagdiyev
    jagshemash

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

To Part B: For people used to going to Alpine and don't live in Chicago (which was a lot of people), it's a downgrade. Simple as that. For those of us not living in Chicago in the upper midwest, we do have a right to complain about this. If a venue you loved that you've been going to for 10 years straight got eliminated from the tour I would have to imagine you wouldn't be pleased either.
    I'm with you. Very disappointed in this decision. For me it was a double kick in the teeth because antsmarching's Twitter feed linked to 2013 dates earlier this morning rather than 2014 (and I didn't notice it was wrong) so I had already added Alpine to my calendar!

I always thought it was one of Dave's, if not the entire band's, favorite venues and assumed that would always be enough. I hope it returns in 2015. I drove 5-6 hours to Alpine...Chicago is about the same although with far more logistical hassles. Don't know if we'll make the trip or not.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #54
    craigjq
    " Tiger "

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    not to mention, calling a venue that got a bad rap last year because of some rainy days a "dump" isn't even close to accurate. the venue has the city's skyline behind it with the lake on the other side. it's a gorgeous set up. not to mention, Alpine was one of the biggest pain in the ass venues to get to ever.

with the market Chicago has, i'd fully agree. these shows are way more accessible to way more people. i know a few older fans who never really feel like travelling all the way to Alpine for some shows but will more than likely buy tickets to these.
    Not to mention getting out of Alpine. I am sure the band has there reasons for the change. It has been awhile since the did an actual show, the festival show they did a few years ago does not really count, in the chicago area. Northerly island is not a bad place for a show. Good sound and awesome views. Give it a chance, you just make like it...
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #55
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i've been going to alpine for 6 years straight. i've had fun, of course. but once again, i'm willing to bet you're in the minority of people who are travelling these 7 hours for shows. i've done it, and again, i'm in the minority. all i'm getting at is, would you rather, as a means of making money (because the band is also set out on doing just that), play a show in East Troy, WI or Chicago, IL?
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #56
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by craigjq View Post
    Not to mention getting out of Alpine. I am sure the band has there reasons for the change. It has been awhile since the did an actual show, the festival show they did a few years ago does not really count, in the chicago area. Northerly island is not a bad place for a show. Good sound and awesome views. Give it a chance, you just make like it...
    i literally just said that in a different thread
    i've had scenarios where it has taken me 1-2hrs getting out of a parking lot there and then driving 2+ more hours home. it sucks.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #57
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
    I'm with you. Very disappointed in this decision. For me it was a double kick in the teeth because antsmarching's Twitter feed linked to 2013 dates earlier this morning rather than 2014 (and I didn't notice it was wrong) so I had already added Alpine to my calendar!

I always thought it was one of Dave's, if not the entire band's, favorite venues and assumed that would always be enough. I hope it returns in 2015. I drove 5-6 hours to Alpine...Chicago is about the same although with far more logistical hassles. Don't know if we'll make the trip or not.
    please explain.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #58
    DmBFan713

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I said that not playing Alpine was ONE of the bad moves they made in recent years another bad move was last year when they played Alpine on a Friday/Saturday as opposed to the usual Saturday/Sunday. Not saying its the sole reason, but it could be a big reason it didn't sell out last year.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #59
    Dipping Billy

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I guess this makes Jimmy Buffet the undisputed Lord of Alpine Valley.
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #60
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rlpi100 View Post
    Benny, if you always drive 5 hours to Alpine, why not drive the few extra hours to Chicago, and enjoy an awesome city, and 2 shows at a new beautiful venue?
    I have no interest in going to Chicago to see them. I've been there before. The strict 11PM curfew is also a complete buzzkill. Pretty much no chance of the epic 3 hour sets we commonly got at Alpine. The Chicago venue also looks incredibly flat and boring, it will probably be as lifeless as the Gorge (sorry, but after the sun goes down there it's a really boring venue and all of the crowd noise escapes since it's an open air venue, so there is no energy there).

I've been to the Greek Theatre in Berkeley before, but that's about the only venue that looks worth traveling to this year for me.
    Closed Thread