Dating is miserable - Page 1561 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #46801
rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dating is miserable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
You do realize people break up amicably sometimes, right?

Not taking the time to go delete every picture of someone does not mean you're holding onto feelings. These are not mutually exclusive things.
I really don't believe that statement holds up very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbetc View Post
If you're straight it ends in a pile of molten lava. Modern Family said so.
My comment about Modern Family was about Cam telling his partner that they're gay, so don't get jealous over exes. (Which implied to me that straight people do, or at least more often.) I'm not saying that the potential for all relationships to go down in flames doesn't exist. It absolutely does.
rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #46802
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't disagree that they come and go, I just don't agree that not deleting all their photos means you're holding onto feelings.

Do you feel the same way about gifts from exes? Certainly those bring up memories when you wear/use them.
    Good question.

I think this is a little different but maybe not. Anyway, I'd say that anything that you're holding onto for nostalgic reasons probably should go. I'm looking around my place and I there may be a few DVD's (like The Matrix) but nothing that would make anyone suspect that I'm keeping something from an ex. The only thing I have from an ex is my dog. I could never give him up. I'd never tell a new girl that my old GF gave him to me though.
    Old 03-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #46803
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    I really don't believe that statement holds up very often.

My comment about Modern Family was about Cam telling his partner that they're gay, so don't get jealous over exes. (Which implied to me that straight people do, or at least more often.) I'm not saying that the potential for all relationships to go down in flames doesn't exist. It absolutely does.
    My point was that you were taking what you heard in a sitcom as fact. And to think that all gay couples don't get jealous is silly. Whether someone gets jealous or not has nothing to do with whether they are gay or straight.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #46804
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Good question.

I think this is a little different but maybe not. Anyway, I'd say that anything that you're holding onto for nostalgic reasons probably should go. I'm looking around my place and I there may be a few DVD's (like The Matrix) but nothing that would make anyone suspect that I'm keeping something from an ex. The only thing I have from an ex is my dog. I could never give him up. I'd never tell a new girl that my old GF gave him to me though.

Why wouldn't you tell anyone? I don't get it it. Failing to acknowledge previous relationships or being able to admit certain gifts are from them makes you just seem bitter. That, to me, says you can't get over things more than someone who doesn't go back and rage delete a bunch of pictures.

My girlfriend has an iPad from her ex and I find it hilarious that she says, "I wasn't giving this back when we broke up." Not once have I ever thought she's holding onto feelings because she didn't junk an iPad or thought it was weird she told me it was from him.
    Old 03-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #46805
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My point was that you were taking what you heard in a sitcom as fact. And to think that all gay couples don't get jealous is silly. Whether someone gets jealous or not has nothing to do with whether they are gay or straight.
    That's not what I meant at all. Here is what I posted...

Quote:
    It seems non-straight relationships go down differently than straight relationships. (This was also covered on Modern Family, so there may be some truth to it.) From my experience with most of my straight friends, the end of relationships is the titanic hitting a vlocano that's spewing multan lava and setting everything on file.
    I should have said non-straight relationshipt may go down differently. And, by go down I meant like the end of the relationship crashing and burning. Maybe gay couples are more mature, less vendictive and bring the plane in for a rough, yet safe landing. I don't know. Maybe, maybe not.

It was not a statement of fact. I feel like that's reading too much into my post.
    Old 03-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #46806
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Why wouldn't you tell anyone? I don't get it it. Failing to acknowledge previous relationships or being able to admit certain gifts are from them makes you just seem bitter. That, to me, says you can't get over things more than someone who doesn't go back and rage delete a bunch of pictures.

My girlfriend has an iPad from her ex and I find it hilarious that she says, "I wasn't giving this back when we broke up." Not once have I ever thought she's holding onto feelings because she didn't junk an iPad or thought it was weird she told me it was from him.
    iPad is not nostalgic, so it's cool. If she's holding onto something he made for her, then yeah a little concerned.
    Old 03-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #46807
    bamadavefan15

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I'm straight and I've been in relationships that don't crash and burn.

I'm not sure there is much correlation between sexual orientation and how the relationship ends. Idk. It just doesn't seem logical to me.
    bamadavefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #46808
    socopithy
    Resident Trash Panda

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Dating is miserable

Also straight and have never had a relationship end in a blaze of glory. Basically from 13 to 25 I was single for a total of maybe 1.5 years.

Not to say some of them didn't end negatively, but just not Real World MTV bad. It always wound up pretty amicable.
    The point is wash the produce.
    socopithy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #46809
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

I'm curious...How long are these relationshps? I'm just asking because I'm talking about relationships of 3, 4, & 5 years, not 6-8 month flings.

I really am just super curious. I can't help but think of the Seinfeld episode where he ended his engagement. Don't get me wrong, I 100% realize my arguments are coming directly from sitcoms but come on. Your breakups just ended at the coffee shop with simultaneous "I hate you's?"
    Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #46810
    socopithy
    Resident Trash Panda

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm curious...How long are these relationshps? I'm just asking because I'm talking about relationships of 3, 4, & 5 years, not 6-8 month flings.

I really am just super curious. I can't help but think of the Seinfeld episode where he ended his engagement. Don't get me wrong, I 100% realize my arguments are coming directly from sitcoms but come on. Your breakups just ended at the coffee shop with simultaneous "I hate you's?"
    Me? All 2-3 years. Not the 3, 4, and 5 you're talking about but substantial in their own right.
    Old 03-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #46811
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I delete pics of all exes, even if it ended decently.
    Just me. I'd be pissed if my SO had them on facebook still.
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #46812
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by socopithy View Post
    Me? All 2-3 years. Not the 3, 4, and 5 you're talking about but substantial in their own right.
    For sure. I think anything over a year "counts" in this discussion. I was just wondering if people were including short term relationships. Again, I was just curious.
    Old 03-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #46813
    socopithy
    Resident Trash Panda

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post

Completely agree.

Quote:
    For sure. I think anything over a year "counts" in this discussion. I was just wondering if people were including short term relationships. Again, I was just curious.
    Word, I hear ya.
    Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #46814
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

My two longest relationships both ended in a fiery rage. Woman are nuts. One of them I will never speak to again. The other is my best friend. Have pictures of both of them on FB and computer still.

There's no correlation. Just depends on the human being and the reason for the breakup.

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 03-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #46815
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

Don't understand the being mad at a SO for pictures on FB. They aren't rubbing them in your face. You went out and looked at the pictures. Who gives a shit if there's an ex in a pic from 5 years ago?

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 03-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #46816
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Don't understand the being mad at a SO for pictures on FB. They aren't rubbing them in your face. You went out and looked at the pictures. Who gives a shit if there's an ex in a pic from 5 years ago?

Totally agree.

I find it ridiculous/petty to be pissed at a SO because they haven't gone through FB and deleted a handful or two of pics with their exes.
    Old 03-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #46817
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My two longest relationships both ended in a fiery rage. Woman are nuts. One of them I will never speak to again. The other is my best friend. Have pictures of both of them on FB and computer still.

There's no correlation. Just depends on the human being and the reason for the breakup.
    Totally fair.

Quote:
    I think that's an assumption that's kind of outside the original question from Scrocks. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't feel like looking back.
    Old 03-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #46818
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Totally agree.

I find it ridiculous/petty to be pissed at a SO because they haven't gone through FB and deleted a handful or two of pics with their exes.
    Keep telling yourself you're not trying to hold onto the glory days.
    Old 03-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #46819
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I don't see how deleteing pictures is getting rid of the memories. I used to take a lot of pictures back when I started college and my relationship like 4 years ago. I lost the college digital card and deleted the pictures from the relationship. I still remember it all and don't feel like I lost any of myself because the pics are gone.
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #46820
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

Well yeah, obviously deleting pictures isn't going to erase the memory in your mind. I guess for me it just serves as a stronger rememberence. Pictures are to capture a moment. For me the pictures are important and reflect specific times in my life.

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 03-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #46821
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well yeah, obviously deleting pictures isn't going to erase the memory in your mind. I guess for me it just serves as a stronger rememberence. Pictures are to capture a moment. For me the pictures are important and reflect specific times in my life.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #46822
    dmbbearcat

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Girlfriend got home from Denver late last night. Will see her tonight. Pretty much over the whole picture thing, so I probably won't bring it up. What I want to bring up is her reaction to my asking a question. I think that's what I'm more frustrated about now.
    dmbbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #46823
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbbearcat View Post
    My concern here is her inconsistent reasoning for not posting pics with me, and even more is her reaction to my bringing it up last night.
    The posting pictures is not about a future employer. Significant other pictures, assuming they are tactfully done and not partying pictures, are not a problem.

The issue is almost certainly because she doesn't feel comfortable enough to announce to the world that she is in a serious relationship with you. Leads to questions from friends and family, and potential judgments or comments. You want to be eventually at a point where a girl WANTS to post pics with you. Brag about you. Instead, for whatever reason she'd rather keep the relationship mostly private. Either she isn't comfortable with posting pics with anyone romantically, or she isn't comfortable posting them with you.

Some questions:

1.) Is she still friends with exes on FB? Especially the prior dude?

2.) Does the picture you tagged look like a "happened to go out on new years together" picture, or an obvious "we're in a relationship together" picture?

3.) Are you noted as "in a relationship" together on FB?

4.) I know you said it's serious, but how long have you actually been dating? A year? Two? Talking about moving in 6 to 8 months from now is a long time to assume those months will go by matter-of-factly.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 03-07-2015 at 09:02 AM.
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #46824
    dmbbearcat

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

1. She is friends with some of her exes, but not the most recent one.

2. It's definitely somewhere in the middle.

3. We are not, but that's both of our doing.

4. Er...not that long. Not a full year yet.

To be fair, she does post pics of me/us on Instagram and Twitter. Not sure what the problem with Facebook is, but I'll give her until the gala next week to see if she takes and posts pics of me. If she doesn't, I'll voice my concerns again. It seems like such a childish thing to be concerned about, when you think about it.
    dmbbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #46825
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbbearcat View Post
    1. She is friends with some of her exes, but not the most recent one.

2. It's definitely somewhere in the middle.

3. We are not, but that's both of our doing.

4. Er...not that long. Not a full year yet.

To be fair, she does post pics of me/us on Instagram and Twitter. Not sure what the problem with Facebook is, but I'll give her until the gala next week to see if she takes and posts pics of me. If she doesn't, I'll voice my concerns again. It seems like such a childish thing to be concerned about, when you think about it.
    It is, BUT, when you bring it up and she becomes defensive? That's more concerning.

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 03-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #46826
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Have been reading this convo back and forth, and this is pretty much where I stand. All depends.

If I have pictures with exes still on FB...it's because I don't care. There's an unstated assumption that people go through their own pictures. I certainly don't. After breakups, the only pictures I've made a point to go back and delete were kissing pictures. Pics where I'm in Italy, camping, at parties? I don't care or remember enough to actually go through them.

I've had two fiery breakups that were shitty for quite sometime. But eventually we made up and are on amicable terms with both of them. They both have kids now. I'm FB friends with them, but don't think or care about them much at all. "More baby pictures, glad I'm not that guy, heh." is about the only thing that goes through my head. Then I keep scrolling and don't give it another thought.

Have never burned or thrown away keepsakes from exes. Have a closet back at my P's house where I still have stuff from my high school / college gf. Do I think about it? Nope, only reason I even remembered that I have it is because of this conversation. It's just not something I think or care about. Apparently I should race home to my parents house and angrily burn and throw away stuff from years ago...? Waste of time and energy.

There's this huge assumption in here that relationships are required to end horribly, and on top of that, that people are supposed to remain bitter towards their ex.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. I am indifferent to my exes. It's a mature way to grow over time. And it makes having a committed relationship with a new person easier.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 03-07-2015 at 10:20 AM.
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #46827
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. I am indifferent to my exes. It's a mature way to grow over time. And it makes having a committed relationship with a new person easier.
    Bingo.

Quote:
    Go Kings Go.
    Old 03-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #46828
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

No sum has been had. Don't think it will happen either. Oh well. Vegas was cool and I'm pumped for SD. Unfortunate but it is the way it works most of the time. I hate being so young, but feeling like I belong with older crowds. Girls my age suck.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #46829
    aicdmb
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Don't have FB, but I agree 100%...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    No sum has been had. Don't think it will happen either. Oh well. Vegas was cool and I'm pumped for SD. Unfortunate but it is the way it works most of the time. I hate being so young, but feeling like I belong with older crowds. Girls my age suck.
    Damn Speils, thought it was gonna happen
    Did you give her the ol "Want to go back and fool around a bit"?? Works more than you think
    aicdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #46830
    redsox14

Shows Seen: 102

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    Bummer Have fun anyways!

Jen
    redsox14 is offline   Reply With Quote