Maintaining a good ratio - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 12-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
ewsanner

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Maintaining a good ratio

I have just recently rediscovered dmb trading and found this site. I used to trade back in the day when you had to B&P disks for shows. I really appreciate all of the users on this site that have shows available for download. I am trying to be part of that community by leaving uTorrent up and running as much as feasible. But of the 6GB that I have downloaded, I have only uploaded 190MB back to other users. I did a speedtest.net and I have a really slow connection 1.30Mb/s download and .30Mb/s upload (notice Mbits not MBytes) so it is like 38.4 KB/s and that is providing that my ISP will actually let me get that high. I have the protocol encryption enabled in uTorrent to help with hidding my traffic, but even then 38.4 KB/s is just not that great.

So how can I participate in the downloads, and be part of the uploading community without being "that guy" that only downloads stuff?

I would be interested in doing B&P's to help get shows out to others, but is that reasonable anymore?

Thanks
-E
ewsanner is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
    ShamikRocks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Maintaining a good ratio

As far as I know, Antsmarching.org does not have a specific requirement on seeding, but a general rule of thumb is to upload at least the amount you have downloaded. While your intentions are good, if your internet cannot handle it, then there isn't much you can do about that.

A good way to boost your ratio is to download new shows as soon as they become available (especially during tours). This way you can seed the show for a really long time and you'll make up your ratio.

read these tutorials to help optimize your torrenting experience

http://antsmarching.org/downloads/torrentfaq.php

http://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=247404
    Old 01-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
    c33dmb

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not sure where I should post this, so here goes:

I've lurked here for awhile and just joined because I wanted to help the community. I downloaded two shows (05.10.95 Yoshi's and 10.02.07 Hollywood Bowl) because I figured they would be fairly popular and help me start out with a good ratio. I've left the pair to seed for over 24 hours and my uTorrent client never shows me uploading more than 0.3 kb/s and the client also won't show me my share ratio or any sort of information except that I have two shows seeding.

There's other shows I'd like to download, but I want to ensure that my efforts to contribute to the common effort are what is desired by those in charge before I continue.

Thanks!
    c33dmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
    thewitt85

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by c33dmb View Post
    I'm not sure where I should post this, so here goes:

I've lurked here for awhile and just joined because I wanted to help the community. I downloaded two shows (05.10.95 Yoshi's and 10.02.07 Hollywood Bowl) because I figured they would be fairly popular and help me start out with a good ratio. I've left the pair to seed for over 24 hours and my uTorrent client never shows me uploading more than 0.3 kb/s and the client also won't show me my share ratio or any sort of information except that I have two shows seeding.

There's other shows I'd like to download, but I want to ensure that my efforts to contribute to the common effort are what is desired by those in charge before I continue.

Thanks!
    Older shows like they aren't going to be downloaded very often because the majority of people already have them. There will be an occasional download, like you just did, but it won't be that often. Best bet to raise your ratio is to download brand new shows as soon as they go up. Anytime you're downloading older shows, you're going to need to leave them seeding for quite some time if you hope to improve your ratio using them.
    thewitt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
    c33dmb

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

That makes sense. So as long as I try to seed what I do download as much as I can, I won't be classified as a leech? I suppose I just wasn't sure how strictly each user is monitored since I read that very poor ratios can lead to account suspension. I was hoping it was based on seed time as well as uploads. I was planning on doing just what you said with last night's and tonight's D&T shows when/if they go up though, thank you.
    c33dmb is offline   Reply With Quote