Camden - June 13 & 14, 2014 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-15-2014, 01:09 AM   #1
DMBzilla
tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Camden - June 13 & 14, 2014

By the time You Might Die Trying started Friday night, I feared that we were in for a "tale of two sets" type show. Five songs into Saturday's electric set it became clear that this would be a tale of two shows.

Friday's acoustic set at Camden was as close to perfect as I could have imagined. Nothing ignites a crowd like Two Step, and even the stripped down version set the tone for the next seven songs. The set was highlighted by Good Good Time, possibly the most welcomed surprise of the past few years, but each song was played with energy and precision. Getting to hear Recently and I'll Back You Up a multiple times this summer has also been a nice treat.

An extremely strong electric set followed, and while the one-two punch of Squirm and You Might Die Trying to start would not have been my first choices they framed this masterpiece of a set in a way that was made clear as the night progressed. Their slow building energy bled into a raucous So Much to Say > Anyone Seen the Bridge > Too Much combo, with so much gusto that it almost felt like a set closer. The band worked in a nice breather to follow in Proudest Monkey > Satellite, then immediately dialed things back up with The Song a That Jane Likes, Raven and Seven (the last of which I don't like at all but kept things moving). If Only again served as another much needed resting point leading into an unbelievable run of Nancies > Warehouse followed by Billies with the Nature intro. The electric set flew by, only to stay strong with a beautiful rendition of Some Devil, an unexpected Pig in the encore, and the predictable but solid Watchtower to close out what I would eventually score as the best set of the tour thus far.

Saturday's show got off to a rocky acoustic set. Compared to the prior night's gem, this portion was fairly lackluster. Slip Slidin' Away was very good, as was Pay For What You Get, but the followup run of Take Me To Tomorrow (another cover in an already limited set), So Damn Lucky and Stolen Away left much to be desired. The set closed strong with Minarets and Lie in Our Graves, which featured some very impressive work by Boyd, but the die had been cast as far as the type of show we were getting.

The first five songs of the electric set could not have been more of a downer. Spaceman did nothing to energize the crowd, though admittedly Corn Bread did achieve that goal a song too late. Any crowd momentum was instantly quashed by a poorly received Save Me, a completely mediocre Write a Song, and a vanilla Belly Belly Nice. The rest of the set, while much stronger, didn't come close to repairing the damage done by the wasted 30 minutes to start the show. #41 was great as always (the shorter versions are the best), as was Say Goodbye, and though I'm never thrilled about repeats knowing that GGT could disappear again at any time I was happy to hear it again. DIDO was excellent, but unfortunately what I thought was Drunken Soldier turned out to be an album-version Funny the Way It Is, followed by Jimi Thing (preceded by another "I don't care" comment from Dave). The quality rest of the show is hard to argue with - Granny closing the set for the first time in 11 years was awesome and shocking, Crash is an excellent E1 song, and another fine repeat in Two Step provided a rocking close to an otherwise subpar show.

During the encore, and again during Saturday's acoustic set, Dave made a point to comment that the band has always appreciated the love they get at Camden and really enjoy playing the venue. With that in mind, one might immediately wonder what the hell happened on Saturday. I honestly believe the answer is simpler than many of us want to believe - in Dave's mind, he did give us a special show tonight, mixing a few of his obvious favorites in with a few crowd pleasers and standard staples. Unfortunately I, and by the looks of things many in the crowd around me, did not share his enthusiasm.

While Friday night at Camden once again proved that DMB can still bring it when Dave puts his mind to it, Saturday provided a heavy counterweight. All in all it was a solid weekend with many great performances and songs played, but the incredibly uneven set Saturday night - in large part due to a pretty awful start - simply did not deliver in a memorable way whatsoever.

Last edited by DMBzilla; 06-15-2014 at 01:11 AM.
DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
    jlbaseball03

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Camden - June 13 & 14, 2014

DMBzilla just nailed it right there. The crowd came in ready for something special tonight after an incredible night one, and the opening run of the electric set just killed us. Still had an amazing time both nights. They're playing at an amazing level right now. The performances on night one were some of the tightest I've seen in a while. They had an absolute blast up there both nights. Even on a somewhat disappointing night, this band just rocks so hard.
    jlbaseball03 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
    *loverulesme*

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    During the encore, and again during Saturday's acoustic set, Dave made a point to comment that the band has always appreciated the love they get at Camden and really enjoy playing the venue. With that in mind, one might immediately wonder what the hell happened on Saturday. I honestly believe the answer is simpler than many of us want to believe - in Dave's mind, he did give us a special show tonight.
    I believe you may be on to something here..
    *loverulesme* is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I think it just depends on the kind of mood he is in. Like zilla said, in his mind it probably was good. They are his songs after all. But either way, no matter what they play, I have a good time. The rarities are nice to hear, but its all good.
    kingofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

The line about Dave thinking he really nailed it last night is spot on. My wife actually said to me as the shit start to the electric was unfolding: "if Dave says he likes Camden so much, then what's the deal with this set?" and I said basically what you said in response. In Dave's mind, he really thinks that was an ass kicker of a set. And I agree, judging by the crowd's response, he's a bit out of touch in that regard. I lawned both nights, last night was WAAAAAY fuller and the crowd was really ready to blow, but they just never could due to the bad start, and by the time #41 rolled around, he had already lost half the crowd. Completely opposite from Friday, where the lawn was half empty but everyone was glued to the stage because the band was really bringing it.

It's an interesting thing to discuss certainly

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    I sort of want the Caps to win because Barbs is awesome
    barbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Not directed specifically to the OP.

I did not hear it live but thought n2 looked very good. People want variety but then don't like it. Oh well, don't take it personally, though it's your fault if you did not dig it, not Dave's. I did not like some of the songs (insert entitlement statement here). Boo hoo.

Don't you all know Dave by now? He fucking loves the fans and does his very best to bring it every night. Other factors might get in the way on "your" night but don't question the man. They play what they like, that keeps them playing, and he sincerely hopes you like it too. He says he does almost every show.

Doesn't anyone listen to the words to Pig?

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Zilla, I like you, but I just do not see how dave can think this:

Bartender
    Slip Slidin' Away
    Pay for What You Get
    Take Me to Tomorrow
    So Damn Lucky
    Stolen Away on 55th & 3rd
    Minarets
    Lie in Our Graves

and this

Two Step
    Good Good Time
    I'll Back You Up
    Ants Marching
    Snow Outside
    Recently
    Sugar Man
    What Would You Say

are the same quality. Or how about this:

Spaceman »
    Corn Bread
    Save Me
    Write a Song

and this:

Squirm
    You Might Die Trying
    So Much to Say »
    Anyone Seen the Bridge »
    Too Much

you're probably right, but god is Dave out of touch or what sometimes?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Camden - June 13 & 14, 2014

Last night was all over the place. A few great tunes but a fairly mediocre acoustic set compared to n1. I liked slip sliding away but I was also hoping it meant no tmtt. Nope. 2 covers in an 8 song set is awful.

Also my section was the absolute worse. Bros fighting half the show and I had a girl behind me who was apparently trying out for the woo Olympics. Just magnified the subpar set.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

My Tour Central Stats

Solid review Zilla, Yankees I don't think he's saying Dave thinks they are equal. He's saying Dave thinks it's good. I have to agree with Zilla, and I've said it many times when discussing set lists. I firmly believe doesn't sit down to write a set thinking I'm going to make it mediocre or bad. I think he legitimately likes the songs he chooses and thinks they are good songs that most fans like. He doesn't go into it with the idea of fuck you Jersey you have to suffer through Spacebreadz as an opener.

Dave's taste in DMB is very different from fans taste in DMB. But I can't for the life of me think he goes into a set thinking they are gonna hate this
    Old 06-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbogast View Post
    The line about Dave thinking he really nailed it last night is spot on. My wife actually said to me as the shit start to the electric was unfolding: "if Dave says he likes Camden so much, then what's the deal with this set?" and I said basically what you said in response. In Dave's mind, he really thinks that was an ass kicker of a set. And I agree, judging by the crowd's response, he's a bit out of touch in that regard. I lawned both nights, last night was WAAAAAY fuller and the crowd was really ready to blow, but they just never could due to the bad start, and by the time #41 rolled around, he had already lost half the crowd. Completely opposite from Friday, where the lawn was half empty but everyone was glued to the stage because the band was really bringing it.

It's an interesting thing to discuss certainly

This was my feeling exactly. I was checked out by that point.
    Old 06-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
    Hershey2004
    Kill The Preacher

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

There is a lot of expectation around Camden N2's every summer. A "solid" set just isn't enough for a Camden N2. Especially after the N1 dropped a some significant surprises in the setlist.

But that's just setlist nitpicking. The reality is, N2 was a lot of fun and was very solid throughout. Not stellar, not mind blowing, but very solid. Like I said, for most attending Camden N2, that just isn't enough.

I had fun, though.
    Old 06-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

very good review, chad.

i felt like n2 would hinge on the tour debuts. knowing that we'd be getting some combination of jimi, shake me, cornbread, spaceman, seven, etc, we would need some strong debuts like broken things and the stone to keep the set together. write a song and funny the way it is are not songs that can carry a weak set. i believe dave thought he was doing what we wanted. write a song is a rare, deep cut, which is the kind of song we want, just not that particular song. he had the right idea, just the wrong execution.
    Old 06-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Well done, Chad.

Was chatting with a very nice guy all N2 who had been to about 90 shows. We were chatting about Corn Bread. He said he likes the song and has absolutely no idea why. I told him that the crowd absolutely loves the song. Even though I hate it, I can't fault Dave for playing a song that gets that type of reception. He agreed. (I was in the back of 204 for N2. He was wearing a YOLO shirt. If you're an Ant, thanks for making N2 enjoyable!)

To Dave, the crowd will always wanna hear Shake Me, Corn Bread, Seven, etc because they get reactions. Dave doesn't realize that other stuff that is most certainly better will get the same type of reaction as well. Good analysis Chad.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #14
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

ok this may be corny as hell, and I wasn't going to say anything outside of the Ship, but I'm taking all the credit for GGT n2

some of you, Chad, John..know that my brother passed away last month. GGT from 7/10/04 was the song that helped me recover the most due to its general flow and several of the lyrics. When I saw they played GGT n1 (seriously, of all the long lost songs to bring back, you bring back GGT the night before I'm able to come???) my heart sank. I actually cried when I saw it on the list. I sent Stefan the massage I copied/pasted below..for the record, I cried like a baby last night when they played it. Stefan never wrote be back, but it was labeled as "read" on facebook messenger

Hi Stefan, I normally wouldn't do this, but I was hoping you guys might be able to play Good Good Time again tonight. My little brother, just a teenager, took his own life last month. Its been a horrible time for my family, and music has been both an escape as well as a way to face it. Good Good Time in particular has been the song with the greatest impact on helping me get through it. Lyrics like "Be yourself just make your own way home...there's no light that's brighter than the one that shines from you...there's got to be a soul in everyone"...it's just amazing how music can help. I actually had tickets to the show last night, but had knee surgery a couple weeks before he died and I didn't think my knee could handle 2 nights on the lawn. Tonight will be my 28th show, and my heart sunk yesterday when I saw that you guys were playing Good Good Time. I know its a rare song, but I thought it might be worth a try. Thanks for considering it, and thanks for the music you've provided us. I never fully realized how important it was until recently. Eric
    Old 06-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
    DMBROX24

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Dave (and the rest of the guys) can not tell me they DON'T hear a difference in crowd reaction when they start playing the likes of Granny, LIOG, DIDO, 41, Say Goodbye, Crash, Two Step versus when they start playing duds like Spaceman, Save Me, FTWII, Write A Song, Belly Belly Nice....

How they choose to not feed off that and set aside the shit is beyond me.
    DMBROX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #16
    DMBROX24

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    ok this may be corny as hell, and I wasn't going to say anything outside of the Ship, but I'm taking all the credit for GGT n2

some of you, Chad, John..know that my brother passed away last month. GGT from 7/10/04 was the song that helped me recover the most due to its general flow and several of the lyrics. When I saw they played GGT n1 (seriously, of all the long lost songs to bring back, you bring back GGT the night before I'm able to come???) my heart sank. I actually cried when I saw it on the list. I sent Stefan the massage I copied/pasted below..for the record, I cried like a baby last night when they played it. Stefan never wrote be back, but it was labeled as "read" on facebook messenger

Hi Stefan, I normally wouldn't do this, but I was hoping you guys might be able to play Good Good Time again tonight. My little brother, just a teenager, took his own life last month. Its been a horrible time for my family, and music has been both an escape as well as a way to face it. Good Good Time in particular has been the song with the greatest impact on helping me get through it. Lyrics like "Be yourself just make your own way home...there's no light that's brighter than the one that shines from you...there's got to be a soul in everyone"...it's just amazing how music can help. I actually had tickets to the show last night, but had knee surgery a couple weeks before he died and I didn't think my knee could handle 2 nights on the lawn. Tonight will be my 28th show, and my heart sunk yesterday when I saw that you guys were playing Good Good Time. I know its a rare song, but I thought it might be worth a try. Thanks for considering it, and thanks for the music you've provided us. I never fully realized how important it was until recently. Eric
    My younger brother (3 yrs younger) and I are really close, hearing this broke my heart as I couldn't imagine what you're feeling, I'm sorry for that tragedy you're going through. I'm happy they played it for ya man. Keep strong.
    DMBROX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #17
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks man, we were really close so its been really difficult....but there's the other line from GGT...its a good thing to have good friends young and old the same...thats whats really been helping me get through this. we have a group of 12 of us from college who;ve been going to shows together for years, and thats what its all about
    Old 06-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #18
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

So glad they played it again for you.
    Old 06-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #19
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

thanks man...I knew I was forgetting people in my post, my bad
    Old 06-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #20
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    thanks man...I knew I was forgetting people in my post, my bad

No worries. I wish we could have met up.
    Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #21
    rwm1515

Shows Seen: 89

My Tour Central Stats

Really agree with your review. Saturday had so much potential after a Good Friday show but I think we get our hopes so high for something memorable we feel let down when it doesn't happen. I think your hit it right on, in their (Dave's) mind this was a killer set. Just read the posts on twitter or instagram after the set list is posted...fans are asking for the same set at their venue....we obviously don't share that same opinion. I had hoped we could top last year but we didn't have the -1 songs everyone talks about so there was a good chance we would see them back. Still a fun weekend and throw in a good show at PNC not a bad week for DMB in NJ.
    Old 06-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #22
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

last night wasn't all that great.

i still geek out when boyd starts plucking two step though.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #23
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

There were some great songs played last night.
    Old 06-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #24
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    There were some great songs played last night.
    Bartender
    PFWYG
    Minarets
    LIOG

GGT
    Say Bye
    DIDO
    Granny
    CrashStep

spaceman thru write a song was as bad a run as there can be.
    Old 06-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #25
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Was so happy with crash e1.
    Old 06-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #26
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Bartender
    PFWYG
    Minarets
    LIOG

GGT
    Say Bye
    DIDO
    Granny
    CrashStep

spaceman thru write a song was as bad a run as there can be.
    despite the duds, i cant possibly complain about this setlist
    Old 06-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #27
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

i get that the sets havent been varied, but we're talking about so many songs that havent gotten consistent play in 20 years
    Old 06-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #28
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Crash e1 happens often at Camden

98, 04, 09 and 14
    Old 06-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #29
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This is a beautiful story. I really hope GGT last night helped you heal a little bit more, brother

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #30
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Eric, that story is wonderful, and as I'm sure you already know you have my condolences during this extremely difficult time. Sorry I didn't run into you this weekend.

Also, forgot to mention that I spent the weekend with some old friends, and met some great new folks as well, which was excellent on all accounts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    People want variety but then don't like it. Oh well, don't take it personally, though it's your fault if you did not dig it, not Dave's. I did not like some of the songs (insert entitlement statement here). Boo hoo.
    No one wants variety just for variety's sake - we want certain great songs to get more play, not just anything to make a set unique. Quality matters more than anything.

As to the bold, I could not disagree more. No one is at fault for having a given feeling about a certain song.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote