308 Negra Arroyo Lane: Breaking Bad Appreciation - Page 218 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #6511
smokew11
1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Breaking Bad *Use Spoiler Tags on ANY episode info that has not aired yet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 View Post
Walt would have never seen the first one without the audience noticing. I picked up on that immediately.
it was just a nod to how meticulous both are, even in the most extreme circumstances

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #6512
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Another instance of WW mimicking someone he's killed.
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #6513
    ryguy469

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

That ending was superb. The writers of this show are just on another level.
    ryguy469 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #6514
    PleaseOrAppease
    Thank You Mr. Hood

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

The opening scene was the most interesting part for me, particularly the graffiti. There is no question Walt is actually sick again; he looked terrible in the opening scene.
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #6515
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PleaseOrAppease View Post
    The opening scene was the most interesting part for me, particularly the graffiti. There is no question Walt is actually sick again; he looked terrible in the opening scene.
    Yeah, but he had hair, so maybe not going through chemo?
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #6516
    luke7

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I think the Primetime Emmy Awards in the male acting categories has already been locked up.
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #6517
    Bartndrpleez
    Generalissimo!

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

just give this show every emmy and call off the awards this year because there's gonna be no need.

seriously, check it out. you won't be disappointed.
    Bartndrpleez is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #6518
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 88

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    Wig? Part of a witness protection type thing?
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #6519
    HavnAGdTime

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I haven't had that much fun watching a show in a while. Bad fucking ass.
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #6520
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Hank punching Walt owned so much. So did Skyler telling off Lydia.
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #6521
    TwoStep2888

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    We're, like, ten months away in the flash-forwards, so yeah when Walt goes on the run he probably stops taking chemo treatments and his hair grows back over that time.
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #6522
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    Hank punching Walt owned so much.
    Oh yes.... and you just knew it was coming once he closed the garage door

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #6523
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PleaseOrAppease View Post
    Wasn't yellow attributed to something bad in an earlier season?

House is condemned, his name is spray painted on the inside, meaning this blows up and people find out about him. His neighbor thinking he was dead or something, all without him using the ricin.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42graystreet View Post
    Wig? Part of a witness protection type thing?
    That looked like a wig to you?
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #6524
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

He definitely isn't lying about the cancer. He was going through chemo when Saul called him about Jesse.
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Both movies do have anal, though.
    AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #6525
    luke7

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Cranston directed the episode. Think he ever wanted to yell "CUT!!" when Dean Morris spit flew in his mouth the first time.

Julie Bowen's going to be on Talking Bad at 11PM.
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #6526
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone think AMC might treat us with a surprise and give us a 2 hour finale for Episode 8? I hope so.
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Both movies do have anal, though.
    AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #6527
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

ok so i guess we can talk about specifics..

1- I'm glad we see where things kind of end up (cold open), with everyone knowing who/what Walt is #HICAROLc
    2- Walt trying to play the straight guy, and Lydia's annoying manner of speech (thanks Existence) made me lol
    3- so glad everything is on the table from the 1st episode. Its so much more intense now that Walt knows that Hank knows...that last line is right up there with "knocks" and "say my name"
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #6528
    MarvinBerry

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

"Jesse Pinkman is in here smoking pot"
    MarvinBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #6529
    tub50328

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Has anyone noticed that the past two episodes have been the only time Marie has not worn purple. What's the significance behind that?
    2008 Hershey 2009 Hershey, Camden 2010 SPAC, Hershey, Camden, Wrigley, Philly 2011 AC Caravan 2012 Hershey, Camden, Philly 2013 Camden 2014 Camden 2015 Camden, Gorge 2016 Oak Mountain, Gorge, 2017 Nashville 2018 Atlanta, Orange Beach, Gorge 2019 Oak Mountain, Nashville, Gorge 2021 Gorge, Milwaukee
    tub50328 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #6530
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

Location: Cawood Ledford Court at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luke7 View Post
    Cranston directed the episode. Think he ever wanted to yell "CUT!!" when Dean Morris spit flew in his mouth the first time.

Julie Bowen's going to be on Talking Bad at 11PM.
    haha i noticed that.
    whygohome? is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #6531
    TwoStep2888

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The AV TV Club - Breaking Bad - "Blood Money"

By Donna Bowman August 11, 2013

A year ago, at the end of the first half of Breaking Bad's fifth season, we learned that Walter managed to extricate himself from the meth business and hang up his porkpie hat. He sat by the pool with his wife and family, entertaining his sister- and brother-in-law, holding court, playing the paterfamilias. Then Hank happens to see Gale's copy of Leaves Of Grass, the one that Walt foolishly keeps in his bathroom, the one inscribed to W.W., and in a flash he realizes that unlike the inscription in Gale's lab notebook, this one doesn't stand for Walt Whitman, but for Walter White. Cut to black, and to months of anticipation. With this cliffhanger, Gilligan and his creative team set up Hank as Walter's new archenemy—or maybe, depending which way our sympathies are twisted, Walter as Hank's.

I've written quite a bit over the years about my admiration for the way Breaking Bad handles pacing. Just when you think that there's a lot that needs to happen before the next huge development, the show bypasses all the details and cuts right to the chase, leaving you goggle-eyed and scrambling to retrieve the pieces of your brain in its wake. And just when you think that everything's set up for the inevitable confrontation, the show turns down the burner and takes its own sweet time, making you wait episode after episode for the payoff. That kind of freedom in the way story is advanced and revealed seems to me to be one of Breaking Bad's key elements of genius. So you can imagine my delight at the way "Blood Money" depicts the aftermath of Hank's epiphany. Just as we're settling back to enjoy a few episodes of cat-and-mouse as Hank pieces together the clues and Walt bumbles along in blissful ignorance, Gilligan closes the garage door, punches Walter's bullshit lies right in the kisser, and brings us to a skidding halt at the brink of Hank's existential choice.

But before we get there, let's step through some of the revelations from this terrific hour of television, and this fitting beginning of Walter White's end. After all the anticipation about how great this was going to be, I'm frankly astounded about how great it is in ways I wasn't at all imaginative enough to anticipate. We return to the framing sequence that started this season: A noticeably thinner, more hirsute Walt, drives the rustbucket he bought at Denny's (the one with the machine gun in the trunk) to the suburban White homestead—now fenced off, boarded up, and tagged out, skateboarders shredding in the empty pool. He's there to retrieve the ricin cigarette he long ago secreted behind an outlet faceplate, and to freak out his erstwhile neighbor Carol. In happier times, back in the story's present day, he gets a cheery wave from Carol while seeing off Hank and Marie, holding little Holly and making her wave, too: "Goodbye, Unca Hank!"

Hank has begged off the rest of the get-together, claiming he feels sick. And it's no lie; the overwhelming realization of how Walter has deceived, endangered, and crippled them all blurs Hank's vision, steals his breath, and leaves him panicked and gasping after running over some poor slob's mailbox. I love this visceral reaction, born of rage, shame, and vertigo. Hank has devoted himself to bringing down Heisenberg, even when nobody else at the D.E.A. supported him. Remember how appalled he was that Gus Fring, Friend of Law Enforcement, was running an empire under his nose? Take that reality-redefining moment, crank it up to eleven, and layer a beat of family intimacy underneath. Suddenly those boxes of evidence tell a whole new story. To the strains of Jim White's "Wordmule," Hank peers at the surveillance video of the precursor theft, and the grainy figures now clearly resolve into Walt and Jesse.

Walt may be projecting the illusion that he is just a successful car wash owner (and what do successful car wash owners do? "They buy more car washes," Walt suggests to Skyler in the interest of laundering that pile of money twice as fast), but pieces of his veneer keep flaking off. Lydia drives a rental car to his place of business to complain that the purity of her product is down below 70%, begging him to come back and right the ship. Jesse order Saul to get rid of his buyout money, directing the two untouched duffel bags to Mike Ehrmantraut's granddaughter and Drew Sharp's parents respectively, fed up and beyond caring that the sudden appearance of bags of money on these people's doorsteps would reignite suspicion and scrutiny. In a heartbreaking scene, Walt returns the duffel bags to Jesse and assures him that Mike is "perfectly capable of taking care of his own granddaughter." He says it over and over again. He glares at Jesse and repeats: "I need you to believe me." Good Lord, Walter. Not only do you have no compunction about lying through your teeth anymore, but you don't even bother to make it plausible. Nothing's left but a naked demand for acquiescence.

But there's another side to Walt's restful retirement and tiresome re-raveling of loose ends. Like most premature retirees, he's bored stiff, and as is traditional, he copes by interfering in his wife's business. Look at how he shows up at the carwash to bug Skyler about his elaborate plan for restructuring the displays to move more high-margin air fresheners. The man always got off on solving problems better than anyone else. Now the only outlets for his talents are penny-ante schemes to move money around, one $14.95 basic wash at a time. ("Please give this to your carwash professional, and have an A-1 day.")

So when he realizes Leaves Of Grass is missing, connects the dots to Hank's discomfort, and confirms his suspicions by finding a tracking device on his Dodge Challenger, it's both terrible and wonderful. Terrible: His secret is out. Wonderful: He has a project. And he feels fully up to the task, all but sneering at Hank for his clumsy use of the same tracking device the two of them planted on Fring's car. "If you don't know who I am, maybe your best course of action is to tread lightly," he warns a shaken, awestruck Hank. Making meth was never what Heisenberg was all about. Having an enemy to crush, whether it be in business or in the struggle to survive—that's the essence of Walt's alter ego. And he seems to grow a foot taller when he's able to set that side of himself free.

Now it's Hank's move, and how he plays it will depend on where his priorities lay. Justice? Walter argues that cancer will take care of that before the law can. Family? The fragile peace they've achieved is built on death and deceit, but it still might be better than the alternative. Vengeance? Hank has been crippled and unmanned, quite literally, by Walt's quest for power. He's always fixated on bringing down Heisenberg as the key to reclaiming his self. Maybe we're going to find out if that project is indeed the cure for his wounded psyche … which would bring him full-tilt up against Walt's project to mow down anything that threatens him. There doesn't seem to be a way for both of them to win. But I can think of plenty of ways both of them could lose.

Stray observations:
    A microscale counterpoint to the quick pace of the Hank storyline: The horror-movie ominous, glacial push-in to the bathroom door, where after an agonizing wait, Hank emerges stunned and transformed.

As if there weren't already enough riches in this hour, we also get a long fanfic conversation between Badger and Skinny Pete about how Scotty helps Chekhov cheat in a pie-eating contest. I mean, space pie-eating contest. But on a more serious note, their conversation about how the transporter basically makes a color copy of you fits in with Breaking Bad's thematic undercurrent of forgery, replication, and knock-offs. I can't help but wonder what Jesse or Walter will be making a faux version of. Mike Ehrmentraut, maybe?

Jesse is taking Walter's sarcastic "blood money" comment to heart. After his attempt to leave the duffel bags at Saul's office falls through, he conceives of an even more desperate disposal plan: give away $10,000 bundles to homeless people, and throw them into yards on the wrong side of town like a demented newsboy. While Walter slogs through the process of washing the cash through air fresheners and energy shots, Jesse just flings it out of his life.

Walt hasn't told anybody he's back on chemo, until he reveals the secret to Hank. And he throws up in the same toilet where Hank broke down upon finding Gale's inscription. Knowledge eats away at your insides on this show, doesn't it?

Huell reluctantly bumps Jesse up to the front of Saul's queue when he sees the pack of cigarettes from which he lifted the ricin. There's no indication that Jesse is doing this deliberately; he still thinks he's the one who lost the fake cig. But it's an indication that Saul's organization might be more frightened about what Jesse knows about conspiracies to poison children than about what he knows about drug operations.

Hank's first instinct after lashing out at Walter personally is to try to safeguard Walter's family. "Have Skyler bring the kids here, then we'll talk," he proposes. Imagine the depth of his rage when he realizes that Skyler is now Walter's partner, meaning that he might need protection from her rather than the other way around.

"Yeah, like you said. He's alive."
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/blood-money,101272/
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #6532
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Aaron paul stole tonight in my opinion. So much sadness in the eyes. Incredible Acting.

I think hank tells Jesse something. Just a thought.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #6533
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tub50328 View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the past two episodes have been the only time Marie has not worn purple. What's the significance behind that?
    She was wearing purple and had a purple coffee togo mug.
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #6534
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

The one thing that didn't make sense to me. Was Walt knowing that the book was there. I assumed he would not keep a trophy regardless of his irrogance. The fact that he noticed it immediately to me was at he biggest leap of faith so far. But maye I am wrong I don't know.

Edit: spelling going to be real bad. Been drinking a lot of bourbon.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #6535
    TwoStep2888

My Tour Central Stats

I'll bet Hank flips Jesse against Walt in some way, and we get some episodes of those two together trying to make an airtight case vs Walt. No way Hank just rolls over on this, and he already knows Walt and Jesse are connected.
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #6536
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarvinBerry View Post
    "Jesse Pinkman is in here smoking pot"
    This was hilarious
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #6537
    TwoStep2888

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 View Post
    The one thing that didn't make sense to me. Was Walt knowing that the book was there. I assumed he would not keep a trophy regardless of his irrogance. The fact that he noticed it immediately to me was at he biggest leap of faith so far. But maye I am wrong I don't know.

Edit: spelling going to be real bad. Been drinking a lot of bourbon.
    Todd VanDerWerff from the AV Club actually wrote an excellent article w/r/t that exact issue this week:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/how-b...univer,101278/
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #6538
    tub50328

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    She was wearing purple and had a purple coffee togo mug.
    Isn't she wearing all yellow when hank has the realization?

And that chick on Talking Bad was god awful.
    2008 Hershey 2009 Hershey, Camden 2010 SPAC, Hershey, Camden, Wrigley, Philly 2011 AC Caravan 2012 Hershey, Camden, Philly 2013 Camden 2014 Camden 2015 Camden, Gorge 2016 Oak Mountain, Gorge, 2017 Nashville 2018 Atlanta, Orange Beach, Gorge 2019 Oak Mountain, Nashville, Gorge 2021 Gorge, Milwaukee
    tub50328 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #6539
    TwoStep2888

My Tour Central Stats

Talking Bad is bad. Don't watch Talking Bad.
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #6540
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Someone remind me who the kid was (the one whose family Jesse wanted to give the money to) again.