"When My Story Ends - It's Going To End With Him" - A Big Whiskey Review - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #61
tabularasa

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Re: "When My Story Ends - It's Going To End With Him" - A Big Whiskey Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbtheRevelatr View Post
One last thing is I really hope I continue to discover more of Roi's influence on this record as it progresses. Outside of the obvious (Grux, the album outro, and the lyrics to Why I Am) I just don't feel like I sense it, but I get the feeling I will as I listen more.
You should take a listen to baby blue. I feel like it's a really nice tribute to Roi.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #62
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonniedmb View Post
    I'm all for people liking this album, but is it just me or is this review TOO positive? To say there is nothing wrong with this album is plain ignorant.. It is their best effort in years(as of the april sessions), but to say it's flawless is just ignorant and obscure. To absolutely love every track to death is basically just a signifier that you have too much emotional investment in DMB. I was like that with Stand Up! and even Everyday and had convinced myself they were top notch albums at release. I personally can't stand FTWII and have yet to actually encounter anyone within earshot of the song who even found it remotely interesting or insightful.. That includes people who I know have been fans for years. But again an opinion is an opinion and everyone has their right to that. This is the kind of reaction I would've expected to any of the big 3 but even after just hearing FTWII and a couple of the songs live I wouldn't be able take such a biased opinion seriously at all.
    i dont know why everyones hating on ftwii, its the only new song ive listened to and i love it, the bridge is tight, and i love the whole idea of oppositves through the whole song, if people hate this, and i love it, i cant wait for the rest of the album, lol
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #63
    tabularasa

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I think if FTWII wasn't the first single, it wouldn't get as much hate. I guess people just didn't like it as the first single and now I've listened to it like 100 times so I skip over it.
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #64
    Simm0nS

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonniedmb View Post
    I'm all for people liking this album, but is it just me or is this review TOO positive? To say there is nothing wrong with this album is plain ignorant.. It is their best effort in years(as of the april sessions), but to say it's flawless is just ignorant and obscure. To absolutely love every track to death is basically just a signifier that you have too much emotional investment in DMB. I was like that with Stand Up! and even Everyday and had convinced myself they were top notch albums at release. I personally can't stand FTWII and have yet to actually encounter anyone within earshot of the song who even found it remotely interesting or insightful.. That includes people who I know have been fans for years. But again an opinion is an opinion and everyone has their right to that. This is the kind of reaction I would've expected to any of the big 3 but even after just hearing FTWII and a couple of the songs live I wouldn't be able take such a biased opinion seriously at all.
    thats funny cuz i havnt found one person I know that did not like FTWII. I guarantee if it wasnt the single you wouldnt be hating on it as much.
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #65
    Simm0nS

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tabularasa View Post
    I think if FTWII wasn't the first single, it wouldn't get as much hate. I guess people just didn't like it as the first single and now I've listened to it like 100 times so I skip over it.
    thats exactly it. Crash Into Me is obviously a very good song musically and lyrically. what more can u ask for? oh it was the single and is liked by many casual fans so it sucks. theres no denying this is the case. the hardasses on here cant admit to like a radio friendly song.
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #66
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tabularasa View Post
    You should take a listen to baby blue. I feel like it's a really nice tribute to Roi.
    I have, like I said just give me some time bud.. its obviously not on the surface and that's a good thing.. it takes time to peel back the layers.
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #67
    Utopia
    Minutes and hours

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Great review! For the first time, in a long time, I think I'm going to wait until June 2nd to listen to the album. There's something about this album that makes me want to get high and just give it a full listen on that day. This review, however, has got me wanting to download it immediately...I shall refrain...
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #68
    jonniedmb

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PantalaNagaMan View Post
    I'm just trying to find in my review where I said this album was, "flawless"

I don't want my opinion to be misconstrued or anything. This album was either going to restore my faith in DMB or sink them for me all together. I DO like the album and it has definitely restored my faith in the band. My complaint with the review is it doesn't reflect on any negative points on the album or points that could've used improvement. The reviewer didn't point out any flaws in the album.. Albeit it isn't a full review .. or they believe it is flawless..

The only thing seperating this review from any other reviews on the board is he doesn't point out a single solitary flaw on the album.. And it's being heralded as an amazing review? Meh.
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #69
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

I'm just glad I was wrong. prior to hearing anything I simply refused to get amped up and excited for what could be another entry the likes of ED or SU.. and with good reason... we didn't know anything about it other than what people had said, and things like Rob and Tim's involvement. Guess i just wanted to point out that I would go in with an open mind.. and I have. But at the least, its great, and I'm so glad my fears didn't materialize. It has far surpassed my expectations.
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #70
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    Great review! For the first time, in a long time, I think I'm going to wait until June 2nd to listen to the album. There's something about this album that makes me want to get high and just give it a full listen on that day. This review, however, has got me wanting to download it immediately...I shall refrain...
    I almost gave up and went ot pandora last ngiht, but im still holding out for the 2nd also.
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #71
    jonniedmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Simm0nS View Post
    thats funny cuz i havnt found one person I know that did not like FTWII. I guarantee if it wasnt the single you wouldnt be hating on it as much.
    It has nothing to do with it being a single. I loved it the first time I listened to it based on it being the first new DMB studio release in years. Several listens and an hour or so later I loathed it. I was initially a huge fan of Everyday and Stand Up! lol When you get heavy into DMB they just get a hold on you. Dave could have shit on my mother several years ago and I would've thought it was the greatest thing i've ever seen. And lets be honest, best single since DDTW sounds impressive.. But is it really?
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #72
    jonniedmb

My Tour Central Stats

I don't want to shine a negative light on the album, I just don't want anyone who hasn't listened to go in with epic expectations after reading the happiest review on the planet. DMB IS BACK in my opinion but that doesn't mean they're at the top of their game. Based on my expectations I couldn't have asked for more, but give them one more album and I think we'll really see the boys back where they belong.
    Old 05-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #73
    Pantala

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess I don't see what you're getting at if it isn't the song cowriting by the producers.
    Ok, let me have Dave explain it to you then...let me know if you are still confused.

How bad did things get within the DMB ranks?

"It actually came to a head a couple of years ago. We hadn’t put out an album for a while and the album that we did put out (2005’s Mark Batson-produced “Stand Up”) wasn’t us. I feel like it should have said “Dave Matthews Band featuring Mark Batson.” There’s some great songs on (2002’s Glen Ballard-produced) “Everyday,” but I think that should have said “Dave Matthews Band featuring Glen Ballard.” I think we started to get lost right around towards the end of making the third album, (1998’s) Before These Crowded Streets. The stuff after that, although there’s many good things about it, I think it was not our best work. For a while we’d been in a holding pattern as far as how we were playing with each other. And it did get to a point where I threw my hands up in the air and said “There’s no point to this.” I had a lot of conversations with Roi, a lot of conversations with Carter [Beauford, DMB drummer] about, “How the hell do we go on if we can’t all communicate?” "
    Old 05-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #74
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pantala View Post
    Ok, let me have Dave explain it to you then...let me know if you are still confused.

How bad did things get within the DMB ranks?

"It actually came to a head a couple of years ago. We hadn’t put out an album for a while and the album that we did put out (2005’s Mark Batson-produced “Stand Up”) wasn’t us. I feel like it should have said “Dave Matthews Band featuring Mark Batson.” There’s some great songs on (2002’s Glen Ballard-produced) “Everyday,” but I think that should have said “Dave Matthews Band featuring Glen Ballard.” I think we started to get lost right around towards the end of making the third album, (1998’s) Before These Crowded Streets. The stuff after that, although there’s many good things about it, I think it was not our best work. For a while we’d been in a holding pattern as far as how we were playing with each other. And it did get to a point where I threw my hands up in the air and said “There’s no point to this.” I had a lot of conversations with Roi, a lot of conversations with Carter [Beauford, DMB drummer] about, “How the hell do we go on if we can’t all communicate?” "
    Is that not what I said? Producers vs. Cowriters/Producers?
    Old 05-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #75
    Pantala

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Is that not what I said? Producers vs. Cowriters/Producers?
    Sorry, I think i figured out the problem.

I'm argueing with you instead of the person who said producers don't make a difference...

Sorry about that....lol.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #76
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pantala View Post
    Sorry, I think i figured out the problem.

I'm argueing with you instead of the person who said producers don't make a difference...

Sorry about that....lol.

No worries!
    Old 05-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #77
    Jan-Willem
    1430/3000

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Up for educational purpose
    Old 05-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #78
    rick8285
    Go Cubs Go!

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.wordle.net/gallery/wrdl/8..._GrooGrux_King
    Old 05-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #79
    Yankees36
    The Gator Nation

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I can't stop re-reading this review!!
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #80
    BDJCL3
    Piss on you Wyatt

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I can assure you that this review is better than anything that will be published in any magazines.

Great Job!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DontStonethePig View Post
    Tapers are Gods among drunks... thank you tapers for letting us re-live our shows
    Old 05-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #81
    swarheely

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

very very cool review, i'm really excited to put on the record, and i'm excited that when i say record it really means, vinyl record, ahhh, it's gonna sound so sick on that, from the things ive heard on the record so far, i love, and i too love ftwii, the bridge gets me so pumped, idk why people hate on it either, and from what you said it sounds like a very well crafted record, and the whole concept thing is cool, i think when any album is truly crafted well in its order and everything you can find your own story based into it which is very cool whether the artist meant that specific story or not, everyone can get something different out of it and i love that thats possible
    Old 05-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #82
    mindsonloan

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Good review. I'm really digging the album. The only songs I'm not really feeling are Funny the Way It Is, Shake Me Like a Monkey, and You and Me. People will say my dislike for FTWII is just because it's the first single, but that couldn't be more wrong. I just simply don't like the song. Carter did a great job with the drums, but I just hate the layering of Dave's voice and Dave wrote those lyrics in a pretty similar way when Mother Father came about (I dislike both though).

I don't have much of a problem with SMLAM, I just don't think the way Tim played on that track helped it. I'm not saying it should have been acoustic, I'm just saying something seems off about it. It seems a bit too heavy I suppose.

As far as You and Me goes, I just don't really feel it. I don't dislike, I just don't really like it at the moment.

There are parts of other songs I don't like, but those songs as a whole make up for it. As I said before, the main problem I have with the album is the layering of Dave's voice. Tim's work bugs me a bit at times as well, and I wish there was mre horns. But overall, this is the best thing this band has done in years. Upon the first listen, some of these songs just automaticly clicked. I just began to grin and bob my head and couldn't help but get into most of these songs. A good cross between nostalgia and a bit of something different.
    Old 06-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #83
    Yankees36
    The Gator Nation

My Tour Central Stats

Best review so far and should be on the front page!!
    Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #84
    graceisgoneDPT
    shakin' like a monkey

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Great job.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #85
    Yankees36
    The Gator Nation

My Tour Central Stats

top this great review..