Alpine N1 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Alpine N1

After missing SPAC for the first time since I started to going to shows in 2007, it looked like i was going to have to wait 'til 2014 or a fall tour to catch the best band in the land. Then on Monday, I convinced one of my friends to make the trip to Alpine.

I absolutely love SPAC. It's practically in my backyard, and i have a ton of memories there. But wow, Alpine is gorgeous. What a venue.

I saw Grace Potter & The Nocturnals open for DMB back in '08, when I didn't know any of their songs. This time around, I had been listening to their music for the past couple months. Grace can rock it. I really enjoyed their set.

Anyway, on to DMB...

Louisiana Bayou - Saw the electric and was hoping for So Right, but then those first notes of Bayou started. Not one of my favorite songs in the world, and there were 20-year-olds in front of me grinding to it, but back watching my favorite band in the world, I wasn't the slightest bit upset.

Belly Belly Nice - This was the first of eight debuts for me. Right off the bat, a lot of energy. It gets compared to SMLAM a lot, but it's worlds better.

So Right - This has always been a favorite of mine, and I never understood why it didn't get much play. Glad to see it's been getting some play the last couple years. Perfect concert song, perfect weather. Great start to the night.

Spaceman - It was around this point in the night when a kid in a Lou Gehrig shirt came on by our spot on the lawn. When you think Gehrig, you usually think the utmost class and reverence. Not this time. This kid was just the absolute worst. Started trying to grind on every girl in sight. "All the freaks are on parade."

Warehouse - Bam. This might be my favorite live DMB song of all-time. My friend Mike, who was seeing his first show, really wanted to hear it too. I also loved hearing it with the album intro for the first time.

Dancing Nancies - The 1-2 punch! Backwards! This is another absolute gem. I could hear it at every show.

Save Me - First time hearing this one in concert. Loved it.

Captain - Gotta say, I never thought I would hear this one live. It sounded great. I swear this band gets better with age.

Kill The Preacher - At this point in the night, most of the lawn around me had no clue what was going on. I really like the old "Mansfield Jam" version, as it seems to be a tribute to , but this was cool to hear too.

Don't Drink The Water - Boom. Crowd back in it. There's a reason the band plays this one as much as it does. It always sounds great.

Snow Outside - Nice to hear this one for the first time. I don't think Stanley Jordan added that much (other than 3 or 4 minutes of noodling with Tim), but I'll have to go back and listen to it again.

Fool To Think - For some reason when it started I thought they were playing Rhyme & Reason. Another debut for me. I've always loved this tune. Sounded fantastic.

Granny - For a song that has never been on an album, Granny is an absolute fan favorite. It's always fun to hear everyone singing "LOVE! BABY!" I've been lucky to hear it four times.

What Would You Say - Another fan favorite. Only my second time hearing this one.

The Space Between - This is another one I never expected to hear live. It started out Dave solo before the band came in, and I can honestly say it was one of the highlights of the night. Fantastic.

You Might Die Trying - I've always enjoyed this one, ever since hearing it at my first show (SPAC '07).

Everyday - One of the coolest parts about DMB shows is how the crowd picks up on the little things, like everyone singing "Hani, Hani, come and dance with me."

Ants Marching - The anthem. The Carter intro was great, and I loved watching the chemistry between the band as he sort of directed everyone during Boyd's solo. I figured this was the end of the main set...

Halloween - I was jumping up and down like a kid in candy store. Somehow, I've heard this three times now. The passion in this song is unreal.

Some Devil - I was kinda hoping to hear Oh, but this has always been a Dave solo favorite of mine. There's something special about a guy standing up on stage by himself, and singing a song like that in front of 30,000 people.

Drunken Soldier - First time hearing this one. I love it. It's got that "seize the day" message of some of DMB's other songs, but i really like that it's sort of Dave singing to his children.

Pantala Naga Pampa --> Rapunzel - Believe it or not, I was actually sort of hoping for Stay, but this was fantastic, as always. I was actually a little surprised that the crowd around me wasn't too into it, but i was loving it.

A girl near me on the lawn was shocked that was the last song. "No way, it's only 11:15."

Hey, maybe it wasn't the three-hour epic with all kinds of crazy surprises as Alpines past, but I was in no way disappointed with my first experience in Elkhorn. I'm definitely going to make an effort to get to both shows next year, and hopefully rally a few more friends to join me.

After having friends see them in Austin, Saratoga, Scranton, Noblesville, Hartford, Camden, Jones Beach, and seemingly every other stop on the 2013 tour, and talking about how great they've been playing, I was so, so happy to catch the band this year, especially at a gorgeous venue like Alpine.

Twelve shows, and it never gets old. Thank you DMB for another incredible concert memory.
Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Alpine N1

Great review. I was surprised they ended a little early but they played a Ton of songs I bet they thought it would take longer
    Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

That's what I was thinking. "No way, it's only 11:15"

Felt extremely premature considering in some past years I'd be walking to the car at 12:30.
    Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
    Shagadelic
    J

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. "No way, it's only 11:15"

Felt extremely premature considering in some past years I'd be walking to the car at 12:30.
    So they used to play 4 hour shows, huh? When was this? Or did you just putz around post show and walk-out at 12:30?
    Shagadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shagadelic View Post
    So they used to play 4 hour shows, huh? When was this? Or did you just putz around post show and walk-out at 12:30?
    Are you intentionally trying to be a dick, or....

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...117&where=2012

Yeah, last year they took the stage a little after 8:40, played over 3 hours of music, and including song breaks and the encore break, they finished close to midnight.

Stopping for a piss on my way out, and I'm walking to the car at 12:30.
    Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
    Shagadelic
    J

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Nope, not being a dick...you're intimating that they regularly stood on stage for 4 hours and I'm saying that has almost never happened. Thusly, contributing to you souring on your most recent Alpine experience
    Shagadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
    Whiteyxc514

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

This dude was clearly at a different concert than i was: http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...ley-crowd.html
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    This dude was clearly at a different concert than i was: http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...ley-crowd.html
    Sounds about right to me.
    Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
    flutterby

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    The writer lost all credibility when he basically declares that Save Me is better than Ants.
    Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
    The writer lost all credibility when he basically declares that Save Me is better than Ants.
    Yeah, seriously! It's so crazy that someone could have a different opinion than you! He's clearly an idiot!
    Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

^

Good review as well though.