Worst Alpine weekend I've ever been to - a weekend review - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #61
Thank~U~Dave

Shows Seen: 73

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Worst Alpine weekend I've ever been to - a weekend review

These were my 49th & 50th "Dave" Shows.
I've been to Alpine every tour since 2002.
They played 45 songs over the 2 nights. I am happy/excited/would have choose to put on setlists/etc/blah blah blah ... 24 of the 45 (53%) songs. I can promise that some of them are different than if you choose 24 out of the 45. Every fan has their own opinion on songs. If it was up to me, I would have interchanged 21 songs with other choices which is normal to most tours really. So, for me, the setlists were not fantastic I guess is what I am getting at, based on how good the setlists have been throughout the 2013 tour.

I was able to add 4 songs I have never seen played in person (Save Me, Snow Outside, Take Me To Tomorrow, and Runnin Down a Dream).
And only the 2nd time I've seen any of the AFTW songs, plus Kill the Preacher, and Some Devil (which I enjoyed as E1 solo). I went to Deer Creek this year and saw the AFTW songs there too.
I had solid seats both nights (I don't do lawn or GA, it's just not for me)

I had a blast at Alpine. I enjoyed both nights immensely. I can count on one hand, with fingers to spare, the number of hours I was sober over 4 days.

All-in-all, Alpine 2013 ..... Success.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #62
    wwysay79

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

This was my 4th time going to Alpine(08,10,12) I only went to N2 this year and I have mixed feeling on the concert. It was not quite the setlist I was hoping for, but the overall performance of the band was excellent. I also got to hear some songs that I had not heard live yet. I will be going both nights next year!
    wwysay79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #63
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shagadelic View Post
    If THIS is seriously your outlook...you're doing it wrong.
    Couldn't agree more
    MidwestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #64
    dontburnthe_pig
    ja-nee

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yankeesguy86 View Post
    I still enjoyed the shows . . . but let's be honest. We go to a lot of DMB shows because of those euphoric moments, those stretches of songs where one after the other you can't believe how much good stuff they're playing.

Alpine was merely good, and years like '12, '08, and '04 set the bar very, very high. This weekend was good . . . but weird.
    7/2/06 is one of the most underrated shows over the past 13 years.

dont drink the water
    everyday
    proudest monkey
    satellite
    the song that jane likes
    the last stop
    if i had it all
    dancing nancies
    warehouse
    typical situation
    the idea of you
    grace is gone
    pig
    digging a ditch
    smooth rider
    rapunzel
    Old 07-10-2013, 05:34 AM   #65
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontburnthe_pig View Post

dont drink the water
    everyday
    proudest monkey
    satellite
    the song that jane likes
    the last stop
    if i had it all
    dancing nancies
    warehouse
    typical situation
    the idea of you
    grace is gone
    pig
    digging a ditch
    smooth rider
    rapunzel
    Old 07-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #66
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

dont drink the water
    everyday
    proudest monkey
    satellite
    the song that jane likes
    the last stop
    if i had it all
    dancing nancies
    warehouse
    typical situation
    the idea of you
    grace is gone
    pig
    digging a ditch
    smooth rider
    rapunzel
    ~Stephen 7.21.02, 9.11.03, 12.12.03, 7.10.04, 10.1.04, 6.25.05, 7.1.06, 7.2.06, 6.10.08, 6.27.08, 6.19.09, 6.26.10, 7.10.10, 6.3.12, 7.6.12, 7.7.12, 7.13.12, 7.14.12, 6.28.13, 6.29.13, 6.27.14, 6.28.14, 6.6.15

wampa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #67
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Tailgating at Alpine absolutely rocks, great venue with an amazing back drop, plenty of incredible setlists to choose from over the years...but I definitely feel for ya Lockman as I did an "ouch!" myself when I looked at the sets after the 2 nights were done.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #68
    godfthr53

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Been to Alpine 26 times now for DMB and never leave unhappy. For some reason N1 I left and was like damn that was short and N2 I thought there was more energy in the crowd. Could be cause it was more crowded, better people around me or whatever. Just my vibe for the shows. In all the shows I've seen there they all blend together but 1 show sticks out in my mind, not sure what year but the time they broke out Stir It Up midset the crowd went Nutso.
    godfthr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #69
    Thank~U~Dave

Shows Seen: 73

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

dont drink the water
    everyday
    proudest monkey
    satellite
    the song that jane likes
    the last stop
    if i had it all
    dancing nancies
    warehouse
    typical situation
    the idea of you
    grace is gone
    pig
    digging a ditch
    smooth rider
    rapunzel
    That was the last time I saw JTR 07/02/06 . It was the only song I was really hoping for between Alpine and Deer Creek this year, only because I figured between the two venues and 4 shows that it would be a virtual lock. I feel like they have played JTR at every other show, except those ones this year. (I know that is not true, it just feels that way to me)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Because back in 06 nobody cared about Last Stop.
    That is just not true. This show (07/02/06) was the first time they had played Last Stop in 3 years. Personally, I brought in a "LAST STOP" WI license plate (which was off of a friends car) and as soon as they started to play the song the video screen showed the license plate as the full back screen and then zoomed out to show the whole crowd going crazy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by godfthr53 View Post
    1 show sticks out in my mind, not sure what year but the time they broke out Stir It Up midset the crowd went Nutso.
    Saturday, August 31, 2002 = http://antsmarching.org/tour/ViewShow.php?ShowID=3167 and they teased it midset, but then played pretty much full song right before set closer of Watchtower. I think it was on a whim, as Stefan was simply using it as an intro (tease) into Watchtower, but with the crowd signing and everyone going crazy the whole band just broke into it. AWESOME indeed. (It was my first weekend at Alpine and I have not missed since)
    Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #70
    dmbncsu
    "Respect the lei."

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Because back in 06 nobody cared about Last Stop.
    I cared about last stop in 06 and still do.
    Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #71
    dgengo

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
    And to respond to the lockman thread, I somewhat agree with you.

I was only able to make N2 (sat in the lawn because my sister got free tickets. Was at a wedding in Iowa and made the trek). This was my 33rd show. Absolute last time I'll ever sit in the lawn. Nearly every song, my sister and I felt like we were the only ones singing, dancing and having a good time LISTENING TO THE MUSIC. The rest of the lawn acted as if they were in their friend's backyard enjoying a nice $11 beer. Why would you even attend if you're going to just carry on a conversation while the band is playing? Just absolutely absurd.
    This person is spot on. And someone else eluted to it as well. As vast majority of lawn people are there for the party not the music. They go b/c their friends are going. Unfortunately I have sat in the lawn many times to be next to falling down drunk guy who is there to get bombed

Now about the music.. most people want to hear Crash, Ants Marching, “hits” like that. They are not like the hardcore fans who know WTF Granny/JTR is b/c it wasn’t on an album.

I thought locks original post was damn funny. I know I am in the minority, but I am with him, I don’t really care for Jimi Thing they jam way way too long. I could have heard 3 other songs in that time.

I had no idea people didn’t like BW. I think its top 3. Also people hate on You & Me. Are you kidding me?? Man I love that song. You go have a wife and kids, listen to that song, and then tell me how you feel about that song. That song came from Dave the family man not Dave the rock star/musician!

Riverbend will be #19 and still chasing Proudest Monkey à Satellite
    dgengo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #72
    Shagadelic
    J

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dgengo View Post
    This person is spot on. And someone else eluted to it as well. As vast majority of lawn people are there for the party not the music. They go b/c their friends are going. Unfortunately I have sat in the lawn many times to be next to falling down drunk guy who is there to get bombed

Now about the music.. most people want to hear Crash, Ants Marching, “hits” like that. They are not like the hardcore fans who know WTF Granny/JTR is b/c it wasn’t on an album.

I thought locks original post was damn funny. I know I am in the minority, but I am with him, I don’t really care for Jimi Thing they jam way way too long. I could have heard 3 other songs in that time.

I had no idea people didn’t like BW. I think its top 3. Also people hate on You & Me. Are you kidding me?? Man I love that song. You go have a wife and kids, listen to that song, and then tell me how you feel about that song. That song came from Dave the family man not Dave the rock star/musician!

Riverbend will be #19 and still chasing Proudest Monkey à Satellite
    This = my life...And I think BW is top material also...#4 for me I guess
    Shagadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #73
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

At least Spoon is in good rotation this summer.
    Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #74
    ToniDMB

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I will never understand self-titled super fans and their dissection of DMB shows into what is good and what isn't. Just be grateful that you got to see your favorite band. I've never once complained of a single song heard at a Dave show. Some might be my favorites, other's not so much. I love the band and their songs...they could stand up there and do I'm A Little Teapot for three hours straight and I'd still love them. Sheesh. I just don't get it.
    ToniDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #75
    docrags
    Proudest Monkey

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

N1 was for me better than N2 at AP. There's always songs I wish they would play. I like BW, Hell, I like just about all DMB music. But it seems like if the music isn't or doesn't sound like the first 3 albums, people bitch and bitch. I like to think a true fan grows with the Band. I guess to hear a show that has all your favorite music, your gonna have to save Brooke Shields from drowning, and blow all the reward money by hiring them for your B'day party like Spiccoli. In my opinion, Mercy is a great song. But I guess everyone has an opinion and guess what......no one is wrong. Your welcome to yours, but jeez, you sound like you hate most of their work.
    As a sidenote, did Jeff seem alright. He really played back and looked pissed or out of it. Did anyone else notice that?
    docrags is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #76
    gahumbert

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

After reading the initial rant I'll add my two cents. I'm a relatively new DMB fan...turned 40 last year and finally "got it" as to why anyone would listen to this band! (and I love them so now!!!) After seeing them at Alpine I have a few opinions...Alpine is a beautiful venue, great parking lot! The set list was so so. I was hoping for so many of the tunes that had been played earlier this year...Say Goodbye, Idea of You, among others...and was thinking at such a grand venue I might get something like Joyride or the like to really make me feel good! Oh well, mostly "standards" with a healthy dose of newer songs (which are OK, and someday when the band retires people will yearn even for songs like Spaceman, lol).
    I guess I went into the weekend with too high hopes. Alpine was such an incredible place, second only to SPAC or The Gorge,so the sets must be incredible...but alas, they played what they wanted to, and in the end, that's OK. I appreciate all of what they play because at some point they won't play anymore.

That being said, funny thing for me was seeing them at Darien and having a great set that blew Alpine away---and everyone craps on Darien for the weather, venue, crowd, sets etc. haha, at least we got a great set....see you next year, at Alpine!!!
    gahumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #77
    mikeykelly21
    Sitting still as stone-

Shows Seen: 101

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Saturday, August 31, 2002 = http://antsmarching.org/tour/ViewShow.php?ShowID=3167 and they teased it midset, but then played pretty much full song right before set closer of Watchtower. I think it was on a whim, as Stefan was simply using it as an intro (tease) into Watchtower, but with the crowd signing and everyone going crazy the whole band just broke into it. AWESOME indeed. (It was my first weekend at Alpine and I have not missed since)[/QUOTE]

And dave sang a few verses. Those were some bad ass shows back then. Check out one of my favorite sets at alpine http://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSe...=17&where=1999
    mikeykelly21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #78
    jas230314

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

If I had been at these shows, I can't say I disagree with this analysis. It comes off as a little harsh a couple times, but for a two night stand just not long after Camden, it seems like the band went out of their way to not play TONS of songs off of their best albums, opting for worse songs.

It really sucks - I went to Camden and figured Alpine would get what we got, and then some. When I saw the sets unfolding, it was actually a bit upsetting to see. Setlist means everything - we all know that right before every songs starts, we hope deep down that Dave is about to start the Stone or Pig or #40 or Last Stop, etc etc. When coming out of 41 with a drum solo, it really does sound like Say Goodbye is starting and to go to gravedigger just is not cool in that situation.

Either way, I have to agree with the OP more than anything else (having heard the tapes - I wasn't there)

11/19 and 11/20
    Best shows I've ever seen, I'll miss this band

jas230314 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #79
    jas230314

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToniDMB View Post
    I will never understand self-titled super fans and their dissection of DMB shows into what is good and what isn't. Just be grateful that you got to see your favorite band. I've never once complained of a single song heard at a Dave show. Some might be my favorites, other's not so much. I love the band and their songs...they could stand up there and do I'm A Little Teapot for three hours straight and I'd still love them. Sheesh. I just don't get it.
    It's kind of the same thing. No one said these are bad songs. I think Bayou is a good song when compared to pop music. But compared to the big 3, it's lame and depending on your history with the band, you may have heard it a LOT.

I'll finish by sharing an encore I saw. The songs were cool, but tell me if you were at this show if you would have left happy you got to see your favorite band again.

Can't Stop
    Louisiana Bayou

Of course, I'm glad I've been able to see DMB, but their best shows have the strong setlists 95% of the time and I feel like Alpine got shafted this year.

11/19 and 11/20
    Best shows I've ever seen, I'll miss this band

jas230314 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #80
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToniDMB View Post
    If the bold is true, your opinions are irrelevant.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #81
    jsied55

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    If the bold is true, your opinions are irrelevant.
    Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #82
    aicdmb
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Bw sucks. Never ever listen to this
    aicdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #83
    remaininlite

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post

I took a piss. Whatever.

I took another piss.

I was just getting back from my piss.

I took a piss.

I was still pissing, so I didn't really care.
    Are you 75 years old?

I think a review of the urinal would have been more adequate for your Alpine experience.
    remaininlite is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #84
    docrags
    Proudest Monkey

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

LOL, he may need a Prostate tickle from some old guy in a white coat.
    docrags is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #85
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by remaininlite View Post
    Are you 75 years old?

I think a review of the urinal would have been more adequate for your Alpine experience.
    You obviously haven't drank a lot of beer if you think 3 pisses over the course of 5 hours while drinking is a lot.
    Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #86
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsied55 View Post
    BW is overall a pile of shit....(couple decent songs certainly none of them make a playlist of mine)
    hey, I feel the same way about AFTW.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #87
    jsied55

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    hey, I feel the same way about AFTW.
    AFTW is certainly not in their top half of albums however I do think its a quality album especially considering how they have lost their way since BS IMO. AFTW is miles ahead of BW but of course that's just my thoughts on the two.
    Old 05-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #88
    bfarns

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

The OP was pretty funny .... thank you for the chuckles ..... 'to each their own
    'be well
    bfarns is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #89
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

OP was a paying customer that had an opinion on what he experienced and he was attacked like this? the usual suspects too.

unreal
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #90
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Wow, what a ballwashing shit show this was.