Chicago N2 - July 5, 2014 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Chicago N2 - July 5, 2014

My first visit to Northerly Island was my third and final DMB show of the summer and 15th overall. After catching SPAC this year with friends back home, I was pumped to see the band with my Midwest crew and much later in the tour.

We didn't get into the venue until about 7:20, but managed to snag a close spot on the lawn, to the right of the giant video screen. Only problem was that we couldn't see, and it sounded horrible.

While I love the acoustic format, most of the crowd doesn't care and I really don't think it's suitable for an amphitheater setting. I'd probably have a different opinion if I was in the pit (or anywhere but the lawn). As others have suggested, this would make for an incredible fall/winter tour in smaller venues.

Nevertheless, the acoustic set was a nice mix of songs. I love the new Two Step, Snow Outside was great, and Rhyme & Reason was an awesome surprise. I know most on Ants can't stand Sister, but I like it. You can tell it means a lot to Dave. Grace Is Gone started, and we moved way back on the lawn where we could not only see the stage, but the sound was 1,000 times better. I've always enjoyed #27, and Recently/LIOG was a killer way to close the acoustic set.

20 minutes later... we were sort of caught off guard by the intro to Minarets. Seemed like the band just appeared and all of the sudden started playing. It's pretty cool to see this and some of the other old-school tunes back in rotation this summer. Love me some Idea of You. Such a nice surprise, and I still think this would make for a huge single.

Crush, Warehouse, and The Song That Jane Likes culminated one of the best runs I've ever seen live (going back to Recently in the acoustic set). I could hear all three of those songs at every show and not get sick of it.

I've never had anything less than a great time at a DMB show, but I'd be lying if I didn't say the setlist took a turn at that point. Rooftop is nice, but it's definitely one of those songs that's just "meh" for most of the crowd. Mid-set Jimi Thing was awesome. It's just classic DMB, and often gets a bad rap because of set placement. This one was great, and the Sexy MF outro is a lot of fun.

The Riff and Digging A Ditch were first-time tunes for me, so I definitely enjoyed hearing those two. Everyday has always had a special place in my heart because it was the first DMB song I ever heard (and that music video gets me every time). Singing along to "Hani, Hani" is definitely one of those DMB moments that you never forget. I was surprised to not see The Lovely Ladies at the beginning of the song, but it was cool to see them join for the band on stage.

Can't Stop. Please stop. I don't like setlist bickering, but there's really no reason this song should be played ever. I was really hoping Dave would throw us a bone with JTR or Granny.

I really enjoyed You & Me with the Lovely Ladies. Reminded me of the Grammys version with the backup vocalists. I don't care what y'all say, Stay is classic DMB. Hearing it with the LL had me feeling like I was listening to Before These Crowded Streets, and we were all dancing like fools.

I was hoping to hear Water Into Wine at the end of Recently, so was pretty surprised when Dave came out and started singing it. Sort of just a short tease, and nothing to write home about.

Never a bad time to hear Rapunzel, and as the clock approached 11pm, I knew it'd be the final song. Once again, we were dancing like crazy, enjoying every last second of the show.

I'm sure there are a number of reasons for Chicago's 11pm noise ordinance, but I think it's silly. First off, Northerly Island is nowhere near a residential area. Secondly it's FOURTH OF JULY WEEKEND IN THE THIRD LARGEST CITY IN AMERICA. 11pm is not that late. (Sorry, sorry. I've wanted to hear Good Good Time for years, and knowing it was scratched for 45 seconds of Water Into Wine is sort of a kick in the groin. Wish we'd gotten a #40 or something instead, but oh well. i've been spoiled with encores before... such as SPAC 2009 N2).

Regardless, I had a blast at show #15, just as I did at the 14 before it. Could the setlist have been better? Sure. Would I have preferred a return to Alpine? Absolutely.

But it was my great friends, my favorite band, and Chicago on 4th of July weekend. I'd be a fool to complain. Alpine or Northerly, sign me up for 2015. As long as these guys continue making music, I'll keep doing everything I can to make it part of my summer.
Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
    moccasin
    We'll Lock You Away

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Chicago N2 - July 5, 2014

Great review Whitey!.....Also nice to see ya back on here.
    Old 07-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moccasin View Post
    Great review Whitey!.....Also nice to see ya back on here.
    thanks! glad you enjoyed!
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
    harribri

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

thanks for the great review! I had a great time as well!
    Old 07-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
    Midwestern Girl

Shows Seen: 74

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

"As long as these guys continue making music, I'll keep doing everything I can to make it part of my summer." Perfectly stated.
    Midwestern Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
    Drmgyrl
    Drmgyrl

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for the review - I agree with everything except hating on Can't Stop - contributed to show #25 being extra-sexy: ) Loved my Lovely Ladies debut, too. Was in the pit both nights and have to say that it is particularly fantastic for the acoustic set. Great weekend overall!
    Drmgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
    sloth

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

They were having a great time. Great mood. I don't care what they play when they seem happy....,which, at best. Is 50 percent of my shows....

Personally. I thought the venue was awful, Amazing city We stayed an extra two days. Were supposed to leave on Monday. Not so much. Stayed til late wed

Last edited by sloth; 07-13-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    sloth is offline   Reply With Quote