Is Alpine coming back? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
DMBVR4
Parkinglot Attendant

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Is Alpine coming back?

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about Alpine Valley coming back...next year...or ever. Still confused why they swapped it for Chicago in the first place. Does anyone have any info on this situation? Been there every year since 2004 so I hate to see it off the tour lineup. Just curious, thanks
DMBVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-06-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Is Alpine coming back?

Knowing this band and their management, I'm sure it had a lot to do with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Old 09-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

The venue is for sale with some time left on their Live Nation contract. The band plays where they're told. If you want them to play at Alpine, rent the venue and pay their price. I think it's a cool million a show

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    coombse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

i have a feeling it will be back next summer.
    ajc_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I consulted my 8 ball: "Don't count on it."
    Old 09-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
    YouKnowThatItIS
    Go Bucks!

Shows Seen: 124

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Alpine Valley's absence was replaced with three shows, not just the two in Chicago. Two shows in Chicago and one in Milwaukee (Summerfest). This will be the case next year as well. I can't reveal my source but they are already in discussions to play SummerFest again in 2015. This would mean no Alpine Valley.
    Old 09-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
    wthomps1

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

^ bummer if true. Alpine is one of my favorite venues to see the band. Might have to check out Deer Creek instead since I have no desire for Summerfest or Northerly Island
    Old 09-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
    talairys

Shows Seen: 102

My Tour Central Stats

ugh please say it isn;t so. Northerly sucks and Summerfest, good lord. Alpine is an institution. I'd heard a rumor it was because they couldn't sell it out..
    talairys is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #9
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

My Tour Central Stats

There's a lot more to it than selling it out. The concert industry is monopolized by Live Nation and they control the venues. It's all about how much money they can make. Sounds to me they've found a way to get three shows from DMB in the market rather than two. Personally, I'm bummed because I probably would have made my virgin trip to Alpine since I've made it to all of the other big venues. Might have to hit the Creek next year.

I don't think it's about selling out. I don't believe there were many COMPLETE (lawns) sell outs this tour (Berkeleys and others with no lawn don't count). Sure, amphitheater seats were sold out and coveted "lowers" impossible to get, but how many sell outs were there?

As far as venues sucking, look at Darien Lake and CMAC. CMAC holds about 5,000 people, is a newer facility but a show like DMB would cause all sorts of parking and traffic issues. But wait, doesn't that sound like what is arguably the biggest shit hole venue on the tour, Darien Lake?

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    coombse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
    UrsadonDMBAnts+ Site Supporter
    Mr. A-B

Shows Seen: 114

My Tour Central Stats

I bet the band goes back to Alpine next year and if it does poorly that will be it. Basically if Alpine is announced everyone needs to travel there and sell that place out again.

My Instagram My Almanac
    UrsadonDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
    zaskar

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Live Nation isn't selling Alpine because it's a money maker and they don't need the income. There are reasons they are letting it go and walking away from it.

There is another problem with this, when Alpine changes hands the new owner will have to re-new all the permits and the local communities are tired of the venue and want to see it go away. Meanwhile Chicago is trying to grow Northerly Island and Summerfest isn't going anywhere.

This year was a test, and it was successful. Just look at the manpower needed to run a show at Alpine versus any other venue in the area. It's a pain in their ass and the overhead is huge by comparison.

Dave and company have no say in any of this. Sure they might "love" Alpine Valley, but not enough to say "We want to play there no matter what".

Hell, maybe Jimmy Buffett will buy it.........
    zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #12
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UrsadonDMB View Post
    I bet the band goes back to Alpine next year and if it does poorly that will be it. Basically if Alpine is announced everyone needs to travel there and sell that place out again.
    I was going to make my first trip to Alpine before it was taken away

If the band goes back to Alpine I'll make the trip. They probably won't, but I'd be there if they did.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #13
    UrsadonDMBAnts+ Site Supporter
    Mr. A-B

Shows Seen: 114

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I was going to make my first trip to Alpine before it was taken away

If the band goes back to Alpine I'll make the trip. They probably won't, but I'd be there if they did.

It's like if the band plays alpine again It's priority one. They should advertise it as the last time.

My Instagram My Almanac
    UrsadonDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #14
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

it makes no sense to keep playing alpiine

they barely average, what, 15k-16k per show?

alpine is a waste of space for the band at this point
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

My Tour Central Stats

This thread makes me sad
    Old 09-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #16
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

My Tour Central Stats

Doubt it.
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #17
    wthomps1

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

based on the attendance numbers released for Summerfest and NI this summer from the other thread, an Alpine return doesn't look too promising
    Old 09-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #18
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajc_1988 View Post
    i have a feeling it will be back next summer.
    Are we even sure it'll be in existence next year?
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #19
    st0nebal0ne

Shows Seen: 85

My Tour Central Stats

everyone's an expert. my source says live nation DOESNT own the venue. It is owned by Zilber Property Group. Yes, it is up for sale, however, live nation still has 5 year lease, at a whopping $675,000 a year, and I doubt they are let out of the lease early even in the event of a sale. Somebody will want their $675,000 x 5 (just sayin). Furthermore, it is the 2nd largest amphitheater in the United States. Are we all that naive? Do we really think someone somewhere would just let this venue die? As recently as 2013, walworth county officials have begun rewriting zoning restrictions to allow for camping AT THE VENUE! that alone would bring an extra 4-5 acts PER YEAR and make it competitive with the likes of surrounding venues. Let's also not forget the surrounding towns that make hand over fist money when there are concerts there, regardless of the act.

To my knowledge, I have noticed the last few years, the Saturday show is full and the Friday show is half full, regardless of venue (I haven't been to every single show, but I've read a lot of review/commentary) Now, I'm not about to compare the two as venues but in terms of sales it's more than possible. In 2006 AND 2009 dmb announced a 2 night stand at alpine valley. Later they announced a September show at The first world tweeter bank Midwest amphitheater. Tickets and attendance exceeded those of this years summerfest/northerly island run. ALSO in 2010 they announced and two night stand at alpine valley and then in July ANOTHER two night stand at wrigley field. Tickets sold just fine to all 4 nights.

I'm not even going to discuss the amount of complaints live nation has received regarding the flatland that is northerly island.

I will concede that DMBs popularity has been dwindling of late. The birth of the two sets, should breathe life into the fan base for at least 2-3 years, not to mention that their 25th anniversary will be coming up, I won't bother starting a caravan rumor but we should all at least THINK about that possibility.

I don't know what the future holds for alpine valley/dmb, but I'm not contributing to any rumor without at least using deductive reasoning and logic to sort out what peoples "sources" say.

Last edited by st0nebal0ne; 09-10-2014 at 06:43 AM.
    st0nebal0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #20
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

^^ 2010 was a long time ago, now

alpine too big for DMB
    Old 09-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #21
    st0nebal0ne

My Tour Central Stats

By that logic, it's also too big for Buffett and KISS those shows didn't sell out but they still made money, and I guarantee live nation made money after their $675,000/year lease payment.

Nice try tho...
    Old 09-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #22
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by st0nebal0ne View Post
    By that logic, it's also too big for Buffett and KISS those shows didn't sell out but they still made money, and I guarantee live nation made money after their $675,000/year lease payment.

Nice try tho...
    those acts only play 1 night at alpine....

nice try though
    Old 09-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #23
    Kevaroo
    I'm the .1%

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    everyone's an expert. my source says live nation DOESNT own the venue. It is owned by Zilber Property Group. Yes, it is up for sale, however, live nation still has 5 year lease, at a whopping $675,000 a year, and I doubt they are let out of the lease early even in the event of a sale. Somebody will want their $675,000 x 5 (just sayin). Furthermore, it is the 2nd largest amphitheater in the United States. Are we all that naive? Do we really think someone somewhere would just let this venue die? As recently as 2013, walworth county officials have begun rewriting zoning restrictions to allow for camping AT THE VENUE! that alone would bring an extra 4-5 acts PER YEAR and make it competitive with the likes of surrounding venues. Let's also not forget the surrounding towns that make hand over fist money when there are concerts there, regardless of the act.

To my knowledge, I have noticed the last few years, the Saturday show is full and the Friday show is half full, regardless of venue (I haven't been to every single show, but I've read a lot of review/commentary) Now, I'm not about to compare the two as venues but in terms of sales it's more than possible. In 2006 AND 2009 dmb announced a 2 night stand at alpine valley. Later they announced a September show at The first world tweeter bank Midwest amphitheater. Tickets and attendance exceeded those of this years summerfest/northerly island run. ALSO in 2010 they announced and two night stand at alpine valley and then in July ANOTHER two night stand at wrigley field. Tickets sold just fine to all 4 nights.

I'm not even going to discuss the amount of complaints live nation has received regarding the flatland that is northerly island.

I will concede that DMBs popularity has been dwindling of late. The birth of the two sets, should breathe life into the fan base for at least 2-3 years, not to mention that their 25th anniversary will be coming up, I won't bother starting a caravan rumor but we should all at least THINK about that possibility.

I don't know what the future holds for alpine valley/dmb, but I'm not contributing to any rumor without at least using deductive reasoning and logic to sort out what peoples "sources" say.
    Start post by sarcastically saying everyone's an expert, then spends 5 paragraphs being an expert...
    Kevaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #24
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevaroo View Post
    Start post by sarcastically saying everyone's an expert, then spends 5 paragraphs being an expert...
    Old 09-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #25
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

My Tour Central Stats

deer creek better than alpine anyways
    Old 09-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #26
    st0nebal0ne

My Tour Central Stats

at least I have facts as basis for an expert arguement, as opposed to just commenting my own random thoughts. Live nation makes their money back off beer sales alone. I'd go into further detail but clearly we all just wanna point and laugh at one person who'd like to take a objective and analytical view point.
    Old 09-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #27
    st0nebal0ne

My Tour Central Stats

Toyota park 07, 08, Wrigley 10, caravan 11, so really the alpine/chicago market was without 3 shows for 2012/2013? Didn't anybody consider maybe they HATE playing that travesty of a venue in tinley park? Whatever. Your all just so much more knowledge then me I'll just crawl back in my cave.
    Old 09-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #28
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

My Tour Central Stats

Old 09-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #29
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Old 09-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #30
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

bolded...that's the problem, there is no "someone"

I don't see how camping would bring 4-5 EXTRA acts to the venue. What's the basis of this? Alpine is too big for 90% of the main stream acts that play regular amphitheatres. You'd be quite surprised how many acts get bent out of shape when they come on stage and see empty seats.

As for Wrigley, that was announced the weekend of Alpine in 2010. There's a reason for that. Wrigley is whole different animal as it's a "special" venue with people around the country to flock too.

And I'll have to disagree about the birth of two sets breathing life into the fanbase for 2-3 years. 1 year...maybe for some? Diehards...none.

It comes down to $ and maybe some other factors that none of us know.

See you at SPAC.

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    CrushLive is offline   Reply With Quote