***Official VA Beach 2015 Thread*** - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #121
Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official VA Beach 2015 Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by robschmidt View Post
How is the parking situation for the beach? Are there municipal or paid lots? Any recommendations on the best parts of the beach to go to? Thanks.
Tons of paid lots. Shouldn't have trouble parking.

But it's all the same, touristy, same beach shops over and over, lot of traffic by the beach. If you're driving and have the time, go further south and enjoy a quiet beach there. Or at least go further north up the drag.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #122
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coyn113 View Post
    Thinking about road tripping down from NYC area with a buddy or two... First time in VA Beach

Can someone give me a few pointers or suggestions on where to stay? lot situation, how strict they are, ticket drops day of the show.. etc?

70-something show for me so just looking for a brief rundown of what to expect.. very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Lots are really mellow. Don't plan on throwing up a canopy and busting out grills and beer pong, but having a drink with a friend or two in a red cup shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless you're being annoying.

It's probably one of the most family-friendly venues you can go to, so the lots reflect that. The pavilion is really nice, and frankly, its one of my favorite stops of each tour, and one of the most underrated stops the band makes each year.

Crowds are more mellow and laid back, its the opposite of something like Hartford.

As for where to stay, that depends on what you want to do. Do you want to spend most of your time on the sand? Do you want to make a quick walk down the boardwalk, but don't really want to linger? Do you just want to go to the show and don't really care about the actual VA Beach area?
    Old 07-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #123
    HerdDave

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Actually it wasn't scalping. The tickets with fees and shipping was close to $250.
    HerdDave is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #124
    HerdDave

My Tour Central Stats

I've only been to VA Beach once for Dave and it was nice. I've been to the beach there other times though and love it. Considering moving there but cost of living is expensive. I never tailgated for.the last one so don't know anything about the tailgating. I bought a preferred pass. Hope that means something when we leave
    HerdDave is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #125
    coyn113
    Keep Pushin'

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Lots are really mellow. Don't plan on throwing up a canopy and busting out grills and beer pong, but having a drink with a friend or two in a red cup shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless you're being annoying.

It's probably one of the most family-friendly venues you can go to, so the lots reflect that. The pavilion is really nice, and frankly, its one of my favorite stops of each tour, and one of the most underrated stops the band makes each year.

Crowds are more mellow and laid back, its the opposite of something like Hartford.

As for where to stay, that depends on what you want to do. Do you want to spend most of your time on the sand? Do you want to make a quick walk down the boardwalk, but don't really want to linger? Do you just want to go to the show and don't really care about the actual VA Beach area?

thanks for the the info
    not looking to beach or anything just coming down, grab a few drinks, head to the show, stay somewhere < $200 wherever and head back

Are there bars nearby? i thought i read that in here somewhere
    Old 07-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #126
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

there's some bars on the strip, but they're gonna be packed with drunk college kids
    Old 07-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #127
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

You can find places off the strip, either on Princess Anne, General Booth, or Nimmo Parkway that are a short drive to the venue. Look for a local seafood or Oyster place, and you'll get some good grub, and have a few drinks.

Stay away from the strip. It's a terrible place for terrible people.
    Old 07-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #128
    cdav23
    Everything's different.

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Any opinions out there on the Premier Parking at FBL? Am toying with the idea of buying, but am wondering if it's a waste. Should I just keep my $25 and buy two adult beverages with the money instead?
    Old 07-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #129
    robschmidt

Shows Seen: 64

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Tons of paid lots. Shouldn't have trouble parking.

But it's all the same, touristy, same beach shops over and over, lot of traffic by the beach. If you're driving and have the time, go further south and enjoy a quiet beach there. Or at least go further north up the drag.
    Thanks for the advice! I am planning on checking out Sandbridge. Have heard great things.
    robschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #130
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robschmidt View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I am planning on checking out Sandbridge. Have heard great things.
    It's a nice area. It's quiet. Mostly residential and rental homes. Clean beaches.
    Old 07-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #131
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdav23 View Post
    Any opinions out there on the Premier Parking at FBL? Am toying with the idea of buying, but am wondering if it's a waste. Should I just keep my $25 and buy two adult beverages with the money instead?
    Keep your money.

I've never had a hard time getting out of those lots. 30 min. max. Usually more in the 15-20 minute zone. And we're the type of people who watch the full encore, wait until Carter has thrown his last stick, hit up the bathroom, then go to the car.

The flow of traffic is really good, and because it's mostly a family-friendly place, people are good about alternating cars and letting people in. It's not the usually 22 year old, half drunk kid who won't let anyone in and rides the bumper of the car in front, like trying to merge into traffic is an act of war.

VA Beach are good decent folk.

And because Princess Anne is a major road, and nothing is happening on Dam Neck road, there's not a lot of other traffic in that area to compete with, so once you leave the lots, it opens up easily.
    Old 07-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #132
    cdav23
    Everything's different.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Keep your money.

I've never had a hard time getting out of those lots. 30 min. max. Usually more in the 15-20 minute zone. And we're the type of people who watch the full encore, wait until Carter has thrown his last stick, hit up the bathroom, then go to the car.

The flow of traffic is really good, and because it's mostly a family-friendly place, people are good about alternating cars and letting people in. It's not the usually 22 year old, half drunk kid who won't let anyone in and rides the bumper of the car in front, like trying to merge into traffic is an act of war.

VA Beach are good decent folk.

And because Princess Anne is a major road, and nothing is happening on Dam Neck road, there's not a lot of other traffic in that area to compete with, so once you leave the lots, it opens up easily.
    Thanks, Hilly. Been there a few times and never had a problem with parking until last year. Me and the GF left the hotel in Norfolk in (what we thought was) plenty of time. Did not hit me until we got bogged down in traffic that more people would be getting there earlier due to the fact that opening for DMB was none other than DMB. We ended up parking at New Castle Elementary School. We won't make that mistake this year.
    Old 07-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #133
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdav23 View Post
    Thanks, Hilly. Been there a few times and never had a problem with parking until last year. Me and the GF left the hotel in Norfolk in (what we thought was) plenty of time. Did not hit me until we got bogged down in traffic that more people would be getting there earlier due to the fact that opening for DMB was none other than DMB. We ended up parking at New Castle Elementary School. We won't make that mistake this year.
    Yeah, getting in seems worse than getting out. Last year was especially bad because DMB so everyone wanted to get there early. Combine that with the fact that it was a Friday, so you've got rush hour, concert, and beach weekend traffic all in the same area at the same time. Getting out is a lot easier.
    Old 07-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #134
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Someone asked for a recommendation for a bar - I went to Lucky Oyster last year. It's nothing amazing, but the food is good, and the servings are generous. Decent beer selection (not a TON of micro beers but a few good selections at reasonable prices), and the staff were nice. If you're going with friends and just need a bar to sit at or a table to get a few drinks and some food, it was a good place. If you're looking to make a bunch of new friends, roam around and be social, it's not the place for you. It's more of a restaurant with a bar. But its far enough away from the strip, and it's only a 10-15 minute drive into the venue.
    Old 07-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #135
    OldN00b

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Haven't backread all the way but saw a few questions, here are my bits of input:

If you're looking to stay at the oceanfront, I can't offer a ton of help. However, there are tons of hotels closer to the interstate - like Newtown Rd. or in Greenbrier in Chesapeake off of 64.

If you are coming from up north (like NY or NJ) I'd suggest taking 13 instead of 95->64. Weekend traffic is a bitch sometimes, especially later in the day.

If you are going to Sandbridge for the beach and coming in that way, come in the back way via Salem rd for even easier access in.

For a bar before the show, we hit up BWW across the street last year. Lots of DMB pregame crowd. It's far from a great place, but no surprises and we were in the venue about 10 minutes after leaving (though we did get to park close).

Parking is included in the ticket price, but I've never paid for preferred. My understanding is it helps you get in more than it helps you leave. Getting out isn't so bad and if you're not walking up at showtime the lot isn't so big that it's a huge trek to get in.

As far as tailgating, I've read plenty here say "be cool and you'll be fine" but I've also had family get open container citations. I stick to the "better safe than sorry" side here, but never had a problem bringing a flask in if that's your thing. I've also heard good things about the pit line.

The pit is a great size - it's big enough for room but not so big that if you're on the back rail you feel cheated. The sound is consistently great there. It gets packed in up front but plenty of room to move toward the back. That's where we'll be =) Saw someone ask about secret to getting good tickets - I scored pits during the general on sale but that's literally never happened to me at this venue for any show before.

Hopefully something here helps someone. I hope everyone gets there safely and we get another solid show. It snuck up on me this year - can't wait for the weekend.

Last edited by OldN00b; 07-07-2015 at 02:48 PM.
    OldN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #136
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

one more shift then it's three days of beach capped off with a show. can't wait.
    Old 07-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #137
    uconn99
    Sox Nation

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Looking for a couple PIT tickets if anyone is selling. Thanks!

ehaddad6@gmail.com

uconn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #138
    DC Greg

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

So pumped for this show! Third this year (Bristow, Camden), which is a lot for me, actually. Not as easy to take the time anymore. Driving down on Saturday from DC, show that night, and chilling on the beach all day Sunday.

Slowly turning my girlfriend into a DMB fan. Camden this year was her first show... really hoping we hear Grace, Space Between, Ants, WAYG, and/or Oh at this show for her. Getting at least one of those will make her day and hopefully keep enabling me to open her up to more of the catalog. Going to have to attend a Rascal Flatts or Justin Timberlake concert with her now after bringing her to two Daves, but she's coming around

Also pumped to be in the 100s. Never done that before, or the pit. One of these days.
    DC Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #139
    zforce360

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Any guesses/news of a guest for this show? After seeing all of the awesome jams they have been doing at majority of the shows for this tour, it would be a bummer to not getting one for at least one song. It always up the energy for the crowd and the band feeds off it too. Regardless, VB always gets a great show. Last year, I was not anticipating at all and they blew it out the water. This year I am back to my usual countdown. Bringing a couple DMB virgins so they better deliver the goods.
    zforce360 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #140
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zforce360 View Post
    Any guesses/news of a guest for this show?
    Yeah - the Lovely Ladies

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2015, 05:34 AM   #141
    OldN00b

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    Yeah - the Lovely Ladies
    Just the thought of that is usually enough to make me but I think I could get behind them doing a set like at SPAC night 2. Last year if they showed up you just knew exactly which 5 songs they were gonna play - at least they seem to be mixing it up this year.
    Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #142
    typsitch
    eyes don't lie to you

My Tour Central Stats

If anyone has a GA Pit single they're trying to unload, please let me know. Thx.
    typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #143
    rhedges

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Hey I was wondering if anyone has tried the "preferred parking" before (the one you pay $20 bucks for)? Is it much different than regular parking? Is it far away from the other parking or even worth it?

Tailgate's a rage like usual right? As long as beer's in cups...

Thanks
    rhedges is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2015, 03:19 AM   #144
    Jadorsey34

Shows Seen: 135

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

What's the weather looking like for Saturday?
    Jadorsey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2015, 04:14 AM   #145
    MikeZimm

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jadorsey34 View Post
    What's the weather looking like for Saturday?
    Mid 80's w/ 50% chance of storms
    Old 07-10-2015, 05:05 AM   #146
    Jadorsey34

Shows Seen: 135

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Text me 3025307608 if anyone has a pair of decent pavilions they want to sell. I can meet at the show
    Jadorsey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #147
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

My Tour Central Stats

define "decent"
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2015, 05:37 AM   #148
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhedges View Post
    Hey I was wondering if anyone has tried the "preferred parking" before (the one you pay $20 bucks for)? Is it much different than regular parking? Is it far away from the other parking or even worth it?

Thanks
    Tailgate is far from "a rage".

Any raging will get you shut down pretty quickly.
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #149
    OldN00b

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhedges View Post

Thanks
    I personally wouldn't spend the $20 on the preferred parking. I'm pretty sure it helps you get closer on your way in, however it doesn't help you at all getting out and might make you sit longer after the show. I'd use the money toward an extra 1.5 beers.

And I second the "don't rage" tailgate sentiment. Plenty here have said "be cool and you'll be fine" but as I mentioned above, know people who got open container citations.
    Old 07-10-2015, 06:40 AM   #150
    uconn99
    Sox Nation

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

PIT's anyone? Looking to come down from Northern VA but I am having no luck. Will there be a ticket drop again?

uconn99 is offline   Reply With Quote