New album opinions - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #121
jsmitty

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New album opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
Love when people preface their opinion with how long they've been a fan.
You have to here, if you didn't see the band in the 90's you're not a true fan and you opinion doesn't have merit

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #122
    jane88

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmitty View Post
    You have to here, if you didn't see the band in the 90's you're not a true fan and you opinion doesn't have merit
    This also seems to apply to wanting older songs on the next album.
    Old 09-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #123
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmitty View Post
    The reason I said how long I've been a fan was to debunk the idea that older fans only like the older material and don't appreciate the band these days. Some people seem to think you can't be an older fan and still like a song like Can't Stop or You and Me.
    Old 09-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #124
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    The reason I said how long I've been a fan was to debunk the idea that older fans only like the older material and don't appreciate the band these days. Some people seem to think you can't be an older fan and still like a song like Can't Stop or You and Me.
    No matter what era of fandom you came on, there is no reason at all to like Can't Stop.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    Old 09-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #125
    Jsc6545

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    No matter what era of fandom you came on, there is no reason at all to like Can't Stop.
    Damn straight.
    Old 09-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #126
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

On a serious note regarding the album, I too feel this will be Big Whiskey 2.0. I really enjoyed AFTW so it's a shame they appear to be headed back into this direction. I hope to be surprised, but I'm not counting on it.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    Old 09-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #127
    jsmitty

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    I wasn't trying to take a shot at you, just explaining part of why you said it. I take no issue with it at all
    Old 09-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #128
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    Does Kill The Preacher count? 6/1/13.
    I don't think it should. It technically debuted in 2012.
    Old 09-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #129
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    I don't think it should. It technically debuted in 2012.

I mentioned it because it was "Mansfield Jam" in 2012, but on the official setlist as Kill The Preacher in Summer 2013.
    Old 09-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #130
    highlanders

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

let it be known then its almost been a full year since the article came out on multiple sites about Dave saying Cavallo is coming back:

http://www.relix.com/news/detail/dav...w_studio_album

anything can change in that time frame; anything is possible where Cavallo is no longer coming back... we have no information regarding the new album... lets wait for it to be confirmed...
    Old 09-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #131
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post

So much this.

Whether your first show was DKE House or your first show will be next tour, terrible songs are terrible songs. Ballwashers are ballwashers.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 09-19-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    Old 09-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #132
    Dreamingtr33

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I'm down for cavallo making Carter sound like a beast. He uses the same technique, John bonham used on the zepplin albums.

I'm down for them expanding on big whiskey. I can never hate on a band wanting to explore a sound. I have no right nor does anybody here have the right to tell them how they should or shouldn't make an album. Clearly DMB liked the relationship enough with cavallo to go at it again so kudos to them. That's what it's all about. Doing what they want to do because its their band. I do think Shotgun and Sweet Up make an appearance though. Do I want more than those two songs? Yes... But I'm also excited to hear more material though cause I know they want to expand their sound and I have more respect for a band expanding on something rather than trying to recapture a sound to show they still have it. Any musician on here when they learn music they don't just learn one or two songs and stop. They learn and learn and learn and learn new songs and sounds. These guys are musicians not entertainers. Musicians wanna grow and expand and learn new stuff. Take on challenges. Any musician should agree with this.

Also a side note. Since when did it become a crime to like a simple song like cant stop and mercy? Just because they are simple doesn't mean they are bad. If some people like it so what...it's not a terrible song. It's personal preference. I've never understood on here why people think if a song isn't super creative its bad. "Imagine" by Lennon is considered one of the greatest songs ever yet I can play it on my ukulele cause its only... 4 notes I think? Just doesn't make sense

Last edited by Dreamingtr33; 09-19-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #133
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamingtr33 View Post
    I'm down for cavallo making Carter sound like a beast. He uses the same technique, John bonham used on the zepplin albums.

I'm down for them expanding on big whiskey. I can never hate on a band wanting to explore a sound. I have no right nor does anybody here have the right to tell them how they should or shouldn't make an album. Clearly DMB liked the relationship enough with cavallo to go at it again so kudos to them. That's what it's all about. Doing what they want to do because its their band. I do think Shotgun and Sweet Up make an appearance though. Do I want more than those two songs? Yes... But I'm also excited to hear more material though cause I know they want to expand their sound and I have more respect for a band expanding on something rather than trying to recapture a sound to show they still have it. Any musician on here when they learn music they don't just learn one or two songs and stop. They learn and learn and learn and learn new songs and sounds. These guys are musicians not entertainers. Musicians wanna grow and expand and learn new stuff. Take on challenges. Any musician should agree with this.

Also a side note. Since when did it become a crime to like a simple song like cant stop and mercy? Just because they are simple doesn't mean they are bad. If some people like it so what...it's not a terrible song. It's personal preference. I've never understood on here why people think if a song isn't super creative its bad. Imagine is considered one of the greatest songs ever yet I can play it on my ukulele cause its only... 4 notes I think? Just doesn't make sense

As long as they are charging money for albums, I'd say that gives the fanbase some ground for saying what we do or do not want them to do.
    Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #134
    Weezerblather

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    As long as they are charging money for albums, I'd say that gives the fanbase some ground for saying what we do or do not want them to do.

A. You don't have to buy the albums.
    B. You probably don't buy the albums.
    C. Why are you here?
    Old 09-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #135
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Weezerblather View Post
    A. You don't have to buy the albums.
    B. You probably don't buy the albums.
    C. Why are you here?

A. I understand that. I can say "Hey, if you want me to buy the album, this is what I would like." That's my right. And it's their right to ignore me.

B. You don't know what I buy.

C. I work here.
    Old 09-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #136
    Dreamingtr33

My Tour Central Stats

I know this is a place to debate and talk about this and what you want. Everybody should do that. I'm more talking to people demanding this is how it's done or else your a ball washer and don't know music.
    Old 09-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #137
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know this is a place to debate and talk about this and what you want. Everybody should do that. I'm more talking to people demanding this is how it's done or else your a ball washer and don't know music.

It's fine if you like Big Whiskey and want BW 2.0. Not going to call you a ballwasher for that.

Personally, I don't want BW 2.0. Away From the World is much closer to the sound I'd like them to cultivate. I really liked that album.

Not sure who mentioned it, maybe it was in +, but the only thing that gives me hope for 2.0 is that Cavallo is now experienced with the band. Maybe he can get some better lyrics out of Dave or restrain the sound just a tad.
    Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #138
    Dreamingtr33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's fine if you like Big Whiskey and want BW 2.0. Not going to call you a ballwasher for that.

Personally, I don't want BW 2.0. Away From the World is much closer to the sound I'd like them to cultivate. I really liked that album.

Not sure who mentioned it, maybe it was in +, but the only thing that gives me hope for 2.0 is that Cavallo is now experienced with the band. Maybe he can get some better lyrics out of Dave or restrain the sound just a tad.
    Yes. Dave has to write better lyrics. That's something we can all agree on. I think if they write and produce the baby blues, dive in, and lying in hands of god (more just that overall sound) and stay away from heavy electric shake me, why I am, time bomb and throw in one or two unreleased songs.. (which call it a gut call just feel like they finally release shotgun.) It could be a very solid album. Hopefully lillywhite filtered all that out of them and reminded them they can continue to build on AFTW with Cavallo.

Maybe lillywhite said no? Who knows?

Last edited by Dreamingtr33; 09-19-2014 at 11:02 PM.
    Old 09-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #139
    gibsonchet
    American Honey Project

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

For me, if the songs are well composed and the lyrics are up to Dave's 90's standards, it doesn't matter who produces the album. We used to listen to tapes and low quality mp3s of the band from 93 onward and the sound was poor and the live effects were minimal...but the songs were fantastic. We would audibly sift through the noise to hear the music. That's what it's all about. You could throw Baston back in there and as long as the band had a clear vision and quality songs, it wouldn't matter what effects and loops he used...they would simply support the finished idea. That's where recent albums fall short:

Stand Up songs are poor lyrically and seem like ideas more than anything else. Given the lyrics and song structure as they were/are, even Lillywhite couldn't have done anything with them. It's really up to the band to complete an idea, work on the songs, and be more than somewhat prepared going into the studio. Let the producer put his/her touches, but the meat should be done ahead of time.

Styles change and ideas change - I get that...but quality of work should not be sacrificed despite experimentation. You want to experiment? Go play on the road or at your house. Experiment there...but then take time with these new ideas to add your craft and talent. It's a special thing.
    Old 09-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #140
    ERoths711

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gibsonchet View Post
    For me, if the songs are well composed and the lyrics are up to Dave's 90's standards, it doesn't matter who produces the album. We used to listen to tapes and low quality mp3s of the band from 93 onward and the sound was poor and the live effects were minimal...but the songs were fantastic. We would audibly sift through the noise to hear the music. That's what it's all about. You could throw Baston back in there and as long as the band had a clear vision and quality songs, it wouldn't matter what effects and loops he used...they would simply support the finished idea. That's where recent albums fall short:

Stand Up songs are poor lyrically and seem like ideas more than anything else. Given the lyrics and song structure as they were/are, even Lillywhite couldn't have done anything with them. It's really up to the band to complete an idea, work on the songs, and be more than somewhat prepared going into the studio. Let the producer put his/her touches, but the meat should be done ahead of time.

Styles change and ideas change - I get that...but quality of work should not be sacrificed despite experimentation. You want to experiment? Go play on the road or at your house. Experiment there...but then take time with these new ideas to add your craft and talent. It's a special thing.
    I agree with most of what you're saying. If the songs are of good quality then we'll all be happy regardless of production value. That said, both Batson and Cavallo DROVE the sound of those albums. Both producers created a song-writing environment that was not conducive to creativity. A lot of the songs from those albums (as you said) were based on small ideas, not overall depth and quality. That lazy songwriting style was encouraged by both producers. Couple that with Batson's misguided notion of adding a hip-hop flair to DMB or Cavallo's preference for electric over acoustic, and you get a lot of dissatisfied fans.

Obviously Stand Up was a disaster and although I did enjoy Big Whiskey a lot (before they beat it into the ground at shows), there's no denying that both producers influenced the songwriting process. Lillywhite brings out all of the best features of the band and usually pushes them to higher levels than other producers. It also goes without saying that he gets the most production value out of their songs. Even some standup songs would be pretty good with him producing (Hello Again, Stolen Away, AB Intro, etc.). I think that this album will be solid, but overall the producer does make a big impact.

"Y'all look like pasta with red sauce on it!" - DM, 5/26/13
    Old 09-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #141
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Rashawn says DMB will be in the studio in a few days. Let's hope we stay updated.
    Old 09-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #142
    pattyman313

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    Rashawn says DMB will be in the studio in a few days. Let's hope we stay updated.
    Where did he say this?
    Old 09-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #143
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Tweet from ants. @antsmarching: "DMB heading into studio in a few days per Rashawn (@shawnieross)"
    Old 09-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #144
    mtc883

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Well, we can say with 100% certainty it's not Lillywhite. He's moved out of the US.
    Old 09-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #145
    Sugarwill22

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Wasn't the band in pre production just before the tour started earlier this year?
    Old 09-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #146
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

It's Cavallo right? And I believe they were working on a few things before the tour.
    Old 09-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #147
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    It's Cavallo right? And I believe they were working on a few things before the tour.
    That's the last anyone heard. At this point it's safe to say Cavallo is returning. I just wish Rashawn wasn't.
    Old 09-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #148
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes. Dave has to write better lyrics. That's something we can all agree on. I think if they write and produce the baby blues, dive in, and lying in hands of god (more just that overall sound) and stay away from heavy electric shake me, why I am, time bomb and throw in one or two unreleased songs.. (which call it a gut call just feel like they finally release shotgun.) It could be a very solid album. Hopefully lillywhite filtered all that out of them and reminded them they can continue to build on AFTW with Cavallo.

Maybe lillywhite said no? Who knows?
    Lillywhite didn't say no. He was as surprised as to find out they were going back to Cavallo. I'm too lazy to find the tweet but I'm sure someone can.
    Old 09-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #149
    Big Bob

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

If I could throw my two cents in here regarding the band being able to return to it's old ways, but choosing not to, the decline in lyrical content, etc. I don't see it happening for this reason - there's no LeRoi. Don't forget that LeRoi was incredibly important in arranging the music. Do you think most of what we love out of DMB just came out of Dave fully formed? Absolutely not, and we know this by listening to early versions of songs.

LeRoi was masterful at putting the pieces together to fit just right, not only in his own playing but with the band as well. They've admitted to that several times, talking about how LeRoi really did the arrangements for the songs.

Part of what makes the band work is the confluence of talent, and LeRoi had significant musical training which allowed him to take something created by an incredible raw talent like Dave and tweak it to get maximum effect. Or to put it another way - Dave squeezes out a diamond, and LeRoi polished it and made it look good.

It amazes me that people are baffled by this. Yeah, we miss his pure and honest playing, but we're missing him the most in rehearsals and in the studio. People just haven't figured it out yet.
    Old 09-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #150
    sparky3j

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Dave has ZERO interest in recording old songs and puting them on a record. Quite frankly I'm not sure why we need a studio version of songs that already exist. I love getting something new, the band is always at it's best when they have something new to play. They have been at it for more than 20 years and regardless of what we think, people still go to shows, people still go crazy for songs that hard core fans hate and at some point in time those old songs will still pop up and get played, and when they do the hard core fans get a treat. I just want to see the band create music, it's fun to hear new stuff and that's all I want to see.
    Closed Thread