Carter Beauford - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > Musician Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #61
DMBVIP
What to do???

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Carter Beauford

I wonder if Carter ever sells his "old" gear off at the end of a tour. Or do you think that he just uses the same gear, yearly? Wouldnt that be awesome to have a part of his drumset! What part of the set would you want if had had a chace to get it? I think first would be the snare (obviously) then the double pedals... Any Thoughts

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #62
    RushianSyrinx

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Besides the snare, no. Having his old equipment isn't going to make me play better, and I'd rather have something new that hasn't had road wear.
    Mystic rhythms -- under northern lights
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    RushianSyrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #63
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

My Tour Central Stats

Rushian-
    Wow that was a lame answer, I was thinking more along the lines of collectors value (like if you caught a baseball from a MLB game), not really if it was going to make YOU play better or not... Besides if you think new equipment will make you play better your wrong! Its all about style for drummers not equipment!!

Last edited by DMBVIP; 08-04-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Bud Light
    DMBVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #64
    RushianSyrinx

My Tour Central Stats

I don't see how my answer is a lame one. I think having something that is going to sit there and not be used is a waste. What do you get out of it? I mean, if Carter gave you something, that'd a different story and that would have sentimental value. However, if you had the chance to purchase portions of Carter's kit, I'd pass wholeheartedly on anything except the snare (because I'd want that sound).

I have two containers full of NJ Devils stuff including signed hats, cards and a jersey or two. The only value it has to me right now is the floor space it is taking up.

You don't need to talk to me about what it takes to be a good drummer. I've got plenty of experience in a variety of fields.
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #65
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RushianSyrinx View Post
    I don't see how my answer is a lame one. I think having something that is going to sit there and not be used is a waste. What do you get out of it? I mean, if Carter gave you something, that'd a different story and that would have sentimental value. However, if you had the chance to purchase portions of Carter's kit, I'd pass wholeheartedly on anything except the snare (because I'd want that sound).

I have two containers full of NJ Devils stuff including signed hats, cards and a jersey or two. The only value it has to me right now is the floor space it is taking up.

You don't need to talk to me about what it takes to be a good drummer. I've got plenty of experience in a variety of fields.

Im sad to say that your NJ Devils stuff may have more value once you throw it in the trash!!! Talk about a waste...
    Old 08-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #66
    RushianSyrinx

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBVIP View Post
    Im sad to say that your NJ Devils stuff may have more value once you throw it in the trash!!! Talk about a waste...
    ...And this response isn't a lame one?
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #67
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

My Tour Central Stats

Nope
    Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #68
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I wonder if Carter ever sells his "old" gear off at the end of a tour. Or do you think that he just uses the same gear, yearly? Wouldnt that be awesome to have a part of his drumset! What part of the set would you want if had had a chace to get it? I think first would be the snare (obviously) then the double pedals... Any Thoughts
    He reuses a good majority of his gear tour after tour including his RC kit. There was a large Yamaha photo ad in Modern Drummer once with Carter posing behind his kit and you could visibly see the nicks and dings on his kit from the road wear. If it's not broke than why fix it you know?

I'm sure that he has a second kit at home for rehearsal and practice purposes but I think that his touring kit stays in traps cases when the band isn't on the road.

The only Carter played item that I would want from his kit is his snare drum, no surprise there really. His snare sound has constantly defined his drumming and made him instantly recognizable. But I'd want the original Dangerous Ocheltree that he played in the early days of DMB. That would be a masterpiece to own.

Last edited by BeaufordBuddy; 08-04-2008 at 12:19 PM.
    BeaufordBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #69
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeaufordBuddy View Post
    I can't recall the patterns he usually plays.

Whatever sound was produced didn't depend on that device he was hitting. Any sample voice can be assigned to any of the triggered pads on his kit.

He still has the electronic drum pad above his right knee, it's a Hart Dynamics Acupad. It's mounted to a boom arm which attaches to his rack. He uses this to add the reverb snare effect during YMDT.

When the band use to play Time of the Season he would strike the Hammer Accessory triggered pad below his percussion tree to add the clap effect. There have been shows this tour where that triggered pad hasn't been present.
    Does he ever use this on the outro of Dreaming Tree, such as the one recently performed at Deer Creek?
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #70
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    Does he ever use this on the outro of Dreaming Tree, such as the one recently performed at Deer Creek?
    Not that I can remember. I can't speak for the Deer Creek Dreaming Tree though since I haven't heard it yet. What are you hearing to make you think it's this pad? He plays the timbale during the outro to DT which is located right beside this electronic pad.
    Old 08-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #71
    aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Hey Justin, I just remembered watching the WH video on their myspace. You could see Carter hitting the electric pad under the cowbell/jam block for a cowbell sound. I wonder why he kept hitting the pad for a cowbell sound when he already has a cowbell?

I think I saw him use the splash under the Zil bel only once at Memphis Saturday night, and I could barely hear it then. Still not sure what it is exactly.
    Old 08-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #72
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1adamsara0507 View Post
    Hey Justin, I just remembered watching the WH video on their myspace. You could see Carter hitting the electric pad under the cowbell/jam block for a cowbell sound. I wonder why he kept hitting the pad for a cowbell sound when he already has a cowbell?

I think I saw him use the splash under the Zil bel only once at Memphis Saturday night, and I could barely hear it then. Still not sure what it is exactly.
    Strange. Not sure why he wouldn't just play his regular acoustic cowbell instead.

And I'm sure that new cymbal is the Sleath Splash made by Zildjian. It acts just like a regular splash only when you hit it there isn't any sound.
    Old 08-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #73
    bubba40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not that I can remember. I can't speak for the Deer Creek Dreaming Tree though since I haven't heard it yet. What are you hearing to make you think it's this pad? He plays the timbale during the outro to DT which is located right beside this electronic pad.
    I must be hearing the high-hat. He plays that on the DT outro, no?
    Old 08-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #74
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    I must be hearing the high-hat. He plays that on the DT outro, no?
    Yes, he normally plays an open high-hat pattern during the outro. A good example of this is the Piedmont Park version.
    Old 08-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #75
    bubba40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, he normally plays an open high-hat pattern during the outro. A good example of this is the Piedmont Park version.
    Ahhhh that's what I'm hearing. Much thanks man .
    Old 08-05-2008, 05:50 AM   #76
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He reuses a good majority of his gear tour after tour including his RC kit. There was a large Yamaha photo ad in Modern Drummer once with Carter posing behind his kit and you could visibly see the nicks and dings on his kit from the road wear. If it's not broke than why fix it you know?

I'm sure that he has a second kit at home for rehearsal and practice purposes but I think that his touring kit stays in traps cases when the band isn't on the road.

The only Carter played item that I would want from his kit is his snare drum, no surprise there really. His snare sound has constantly defined his drumming and made him instantly recognizable. But I'd want the original Dangerous Ocheltree that he played in the early days of DMB. That would be a masterpiece to own.
    Thanks for the good info, you always come through for the Carter fans! Also, I couldnt agree more about the Ocheltree snare it had an awesome tone. Another good snare would be the purple and gold Dunnett Ti model Carter used to have, that thing was a monster. What do you think about the Spirit of 2002 drum that he used a LONG time ago? Wonder how Zildijian liked him usin a Paiste snare drum....

Last edited by DMBVIP; 08-05-2008 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Too early in the morning...
    DMBVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #77
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

My Tour Central Stats

Does anybody have vids/ pics from 7/1/2008? Please Help..............
    Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #78
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks for the good info, you always come through for the Carter fans! Also, I couldnt agree more about the Ocheltree snare it had an awesome tone. Another good snare would be the purple and gold Dunnett Ti model Carter used to have, that thing was a monster. What do you think about the Spirit of 2002 drum that he used a LONG time ago? Wonder how Zildijian liked him usin a Paiste snare drum....
    The Spirit of 2002 was a phenomenal snare. I think Carter used it more because it was crafted by Jeff Ocheltree and not because it was a Paiste product. Jeff makes some really impressive and stunning snares. I think as long as Zildjian knows that Carter is playing their cymbals they'll be happy.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/5...02snarese6.jpg
    Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #79
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The Spirit of 2002 was a phenomenal snare. I think Carter used it more because it was crafted by Jeff Ocheltree and not because it was a Paiste product. Jeff makes some really impressive and stunning snares. I think as long as Zildjian knows that Carter is playing their cymbals they'll be happy.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/5...02snarese6.jpg

Nice pic of the snare, good to see another person from good ole NC in the forum. Did you get to go to the show this year in Charlotte?
    Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #80
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Nice pic of the snare, good to see another person from good ole NC in the forum. Did you get to go to the show this year in Charlotte?
    No, I wasn't in NC at the time of the shows here which always seems to be the case. I was moving from Kansas.

Where in NC you at?
    Old 08-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #81
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No, I wasn't in NC at the time of the shows here which always seems to be the case. I was moving from Kansas.

Where in NC you at?

I live near Gastonia in a small (crazy) town called Cherryville. How do you like NC so far?
    Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #82
    BeaufordBuddy
    Carter Aficionado

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I live near Gastonia in a small (crazy) town called Cherryville. How do you like NC so far?
    Well I'm originally from NC. I'm in the Army and home on leave before heading to Georgia for my next assignment. I'm in Garner which is a suburb south of Raleigh. I use to live on the Outer Banks in Kitty Hawk. I love my home state. It's a great place to live and a hell of a lot better than Kansas.
    Old 08-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #83
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well I'm originally from NC. I'm in the Army and home on leave before heading to Georgia for my next assignment. I'm in Garner which is a suburb south of Raleigh. I use to live on the Outer Banks in Kitty Hawk. I love my home state. It's a great place to live and a hell of a lot better than Kansas.
    Damn right! Damn hate to hear your going back on assignment... Duty Calls
    Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #84
    A.K.A

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

awesome thread great info fellas thanks!
    ***The GrooGrux Academy***member #41
    A.K.A is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #85
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

My Tour Central Stats

I cant wait to see the "new setup" Carter will be using on the next tour, every year it seems different....
    Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #86
    Kyvek

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I cant wait to see the "new setup" Carter will be using on the next tour, every year it seems different....
    Agreed! Always exciting to see the little differences each year. I'm hoping one of these times he busts out a legit jazz setup...like one rack tom, a floor tom, one or two cymbals and a huge ass ride haha. I'd love to see Carter rock a real small kit
    Old 12-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #87
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

My Tour Central Stats

It would be cool but there is something about seeing him in control of that huge beast drumset. Either way AMAZING!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyvek View Post
    Agreed! Always exciting to see the little differences each year. I'm hoping one of these times he busts out a legit jazz setup...like one rack tom, a floor tom, one or two cymbals and a huge ass ride haha. I'd love to see Carter rock a real small kit
    Old 12-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #88
    rargumosa

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Man... Carter is my favorite drummer of all time... next to Stewart Copeland... I would have love to own his snare drum.... dude that thing is soooo incredibly amazing... The past tours that he's played with it... just cuts through everything like it's nothing... oh and the snare drum from the Central Park Concert
    Old 01-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #89
    DMBVIP
    What to do???

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rargumosa View Post
    Man... Carter is my favorite drummer of all time... next to Stewart Copeland... I would have love to own his snare drum.... dude that thing is soooo incredibly amazing... The past tours that he's played with it... just cuts through everything like it's nothing... oh and the snare drum from the Central Park Concert
    Yea either way, I love the purple Ti Dunnett... Bad ass
    Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #90
    kitkatjamman

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Is there anybody else that can't wait to get their hands on a Carter Beauford Signature Snare from Yamaha? I have been waiting since summer NAMM 08'!![/quote]

Where can you get that!!!????!!!!???!!!???