Live Trax 42: 9/14/07 - Sound Advice Amphitheatre - West Palm Beach, FL - Page 13 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #361
chadizzy1
Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live Trax 42: 9/14/07 - Sound Advice Amphitheatre - West Palm Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeandsee41 View Post
ill take butch over tim any day. in fact, give me butch and you can keep tim, rashawn, and coffin.
I'd trade Tim for Butch. If I only got one.
chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #362
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I'd trade Tim for Butch. If I only got one.
    The band already has a guitarist and less shitty Tim-driven songs will get played.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #363
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comeandsee41 View Post
    ill take butch over tim any day. in fact, give me butch and you can keep tim, rashawn, and coffin.
    Woahhhh I'd take Butch over Tim 6 out of 7 days of the week but I'm not doing a 1 for 3 trade. That's a move only James Dolan would make #Zing
    Nashville '00, '04, ‘19, & ‘23, D&T 2x ‘17, Cincy '07 & ‘21, Charlotte '08, Louisville '08, Charlottesville N2 '09, ‘16, & N2 ‘18, Deer Creek N2 '09, DM in Nashville '10, Atlanta '10 - '12, '14 - '16, & ‘18 -‘19, ‘23, Raleigh ‘18 and ‘21 - ‘22, Memphis ‘19 & ‘23.
    DaveHead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #364
    robby_idol

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I don't hate Big Whiskey (in fact, I quite enjoy it). Not much a fan of AFTW and the more recent 2015/2016 songs, though. That said, I didn't realize how much I preferred the Butch-era DMB sound until a random LT show from 2007 sparked my interest in the band again. Well, also LT 40. Great 2002 set.

But I just haven't listened or followed DMB much in recent years, and while I was never a vocal hater of Tim or Rashawn, I guess I just prefer the older sound.
    robby_idol is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #365
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I like the current lineup but yeah I listen to older stuff mostly esp 95 and earlier
    Old 07-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #366
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

In regards to this show being released, Jake may have been on to something.

#frontpagenews
    Old 07-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #367
    comeandsee41

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead77 View Post
    Woahhhh I'd take Butch over Tim 6 out of 7 days of the week but I'm not doing a 1 for 3 trade. That's a move only James Dolan would make #Zing
    ok how about butch and wynton marsalis for coffin, tim, and rashawn? or if you're all about the 1:1 trade, then keep tim, but make him play the acoustic, not the electric. then his sound won't be so overwhelming. ugh.

basically, bring back the smooth jazz sounding dmb of 2000-2004. no more of this "play your instrument loud until your head falls off" style. at first i enjoyed coffin's uptempo style of play. thought it was a nice kick in the pants for this band, but then i realized he has no other gear, it grew tired on me. same for the other guys. its the equivalent of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcuVR2vHwM
    Old 07-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #368
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Coffin has plenty of gears
    Old 07-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #369
    Todefy
    Eur 19 SetlistGameChamp

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I just want Rashawn gone and Tim toned down a bit
    Todefy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #370
    daveindyman
    Ants Member #79883

Shows Seen: 77

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Just listened to this. At this point in the Live Trax series, I'm looking for either a great show or something unique. This falls into the category of a unique show so it makes it release worthy IMO. I really liked this version of ADSR but it suffers from poor placement as I feel this should never be in the opening spot. You get all excited that the band comes out and then... BAM... ADSR. Kind of a letdown. Fairly good performances throughout. Some good saves at the end of Sweet Up and Down and Anyone Seen The Bridge. This IIHIA.... the opening 3 minutes was unexpectedly great. The last 3 minutes I could have done without the repeated "I'll Keep Holding On". And as always, it is nice to hear some Roi. Still dont think this is the best show of 2007 nor is it the best released '07 show. I guess after this has been out for awhile and more people have got a chance to listen, an interesting poll would be Piedmont vs LT 10 vs LT 42.
    daveindyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 05:03 AM   #371
    dmb417

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveindyman View Post
    Just listened to this. At this point in the Live Trax series, I'm looking for either a great show or something unique. This falls into the category of a unique show so it makes it release worthy IMO. I really liked this version of ADSR but it suffers from poor placement as I feel this should never be in the opening spot. You get all excited that the band comes out and then... BAM... ADSR. Kind of a letdown. Fairly good performances throughout. Some good saves at the end of Sweet Up and Down and Anyone Seen The Bridge. This IIHIA.... the opening 3 minutes was unexpectedly great. The last 3 minutes I could have done without the repeated "I'll Keep Holding On". And as always, it is nice to hear some Roi. Still dont think this is the best show of 2007 nor is it the best released '07 show. I guess after this has been out for awhile and more people have got a chance to listen, an interesting poll would be Piedmont vs LT 10 vs LT 42.
    To me LT 10 is one of the best shows I've heard, it's just horribly mixed on the release, which is a shame. The Tom Morello contributions fit perfectly too
    dmb417 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 05:55 AM   #372
    robby_idol

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb417 View Post
    To me LT 10 is one of the best shows I've heard, it's just horribly mixed on the release, which is a shame. The Tom Morello contributions fit perfectly too
    Are you sure you don't have that backwards? Party line has always been that LT 10 was a relatively boring show (at least on paper), but had an amazing mix that sold it.
    Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #373
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    The weird thing is, I really enjoyed Butch, including his long solos on Bartender and Two Step. But that's because I'm a pianist and I enjoy stuff like that. I loved his piano playing. His keyboard work was good but I wasn't a huge fan of it on Jimi as much. That song is just too long in general with any lineup.
    I don't think it's weird. I am also a pianist/keyboardist and really enjoyed most of his contributions.

I am a big fan of most of his '04 work and how he mostly utilized the Wurlitzer sound. Sugar Will was amazing because of it. I also really love the Hammond B3, but he didn't always use it in a way that fit (i.e., LT8 on #41. That song screams for piano only).

I don't get the blame that was placed on him for the "laziness" of '06/'07. The fact that Tim drowns everything out now is a pretty clear indicator that it doesn't matter who is the auxiliary member, it's the sound Dave wants.

Butch is akin to Jeff Coffin in his abilities to play with such a range. I would've loved to see him with this lineup and what direction it would've brought the songs.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #374
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

Original 4
    Jeff
    Butch on piano (toned down on the other bells and whistles)
    Tim on mostly acoustic, with his 1994 tone for electric

I like Rashawn a lot, but the horn section has grown a bit tired on me. I want this band to sound like it did from 1999-2004 again. I could also give or take Tim too, but I feel he would add a lot if he wasn't crunching his sound all the time.

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 07-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #375
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    I don't think it's weird. I am also a pianist/keyboardist and really enjoyed most of his contributions.

I am a big fan of most of his '04 work and how he mostly utilized the Wurlitzer sound. Sugar Will was amazing because of it. I also really love the Hammond B3, but he didn't always use it in a way that fit (i.e., LT8 on #41. That song screams for piano only).

I don't get the blame that was placed on him for the "laziness" of '06/'07. The fact that Tim drowns everything out now is a pretty clear indicator that it doesn't matter who is the auxiliary member, it's the sound Dave wants.

Butch is akin to Jeff Coffin in his abilities to play with such a range. I would've loved to see him with this lineup and what direction it would've brought the songs.
    Oh man, 2004 Sugar Will was so perfect because of that sound.

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 07-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #376
    robby_idol

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Original 4
    Jeff

I like Rashawn a lot, but the horn section has grown a bit tired on me. I want this band to sound like it did from 1999-2004 again. I could also give or take Tim too, but I feel he would add a lot if he wasn't crunching his sound all the time.
    The unspoken truth is that the band will never sound that way again not because of Tim or Butch, but because we don't have Roi. Listening to LT 42 makes it immediately apparent that some of the most beautiful music came from Roi.

Jeff is immensely talented and without him we might not have the band at all today, but he's never exhibited the feel and melody that Roi brought to the band. He's as much a part of the "rock" sound as Tim or Rashawn are, though he never seems to get attacked for it.
    Old 07-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #377
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Original 4
    Jeff

I've always wondered why Tim is pretty much limited to an electric guitar on stage, outside of the two sets style shows.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #378
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robby_idol View Post
    The unspoken truth is that the band will never sound that way again not because of Tim or Butch, but because we don't have Roi. Listening to LT 42 makes it immediately apparent that some of the most beautiful music came from Roi.

Jeff is immensely talented and without him we might not have the band at all today, but he's never exhibited the feel and melody that Roi brought to the band. He's as much a part of the "rock" sound as Tim or Rashawn are, though he never seems to get attacked for it.
    LeRoi is irreplaceable to the band, IMO. If they had tried to replace his sound, I think it would've done a disservice to the band, to LeRoi and to whomever they chose to replace him. Going with a different type of player in Jeff was the right move IMO, he doesn't have to try to be LeRoi.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #379
    robby_idol

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjuniper View Post
    LeRoi is irreplaceable to the band, IMO. If they had tried to replace his sound, I think it would've done a disservice to the band, to LeRoi and to whomever they chose to replace him. Going with a different type of player in Jeff was the right move IMO, he doesn't have to try to be LeRoi.
    I agree 100%. I never said I wanted Jeff to sound like Roi. I'm just tired of people thinking that removing Rashawn/Tim is the key to bring that "old DMB sound" back. Even if they went down to a 5-piece, no Tim/Butch/Rashawn, with Jeff on sax - it STILL wouldn't sound like it did. In fact, it might sound emptier than you'd like because Jeff doesn't quite fill the songs the way Roi did.

Rashawn is a lasting link to Roi. Just because he plays trumpet and has beefed up the horn section overall, doesn't mean he's this rogue entity making things worse. He was a partner to Roi, knows the material as well as anyone in the band.
    Old 07-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #380
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

LeRoi, even on his "subpar" tours, was the sound that made this band so special. His tone is gorgeous, and LT 42 really shows that.

Quote:
    I've always wondered why Tim is pretty much limited to an electric guitar on stage, outside of the two sets style shows.
    This has always baffled me and those acoustic sets showed how nice this band sounded with him on acoustic.

Quote:
    Jeff was a great move. He has his own sound and the band adapted to it. Not once has Jeff tried to sound like Roi. I love Jeff's style, but Roi was always preferable.

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #381
    MWRitter

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Am I the only one whose Live Trax 42 showed up with postage due? USPS wants $2.85 before I can have it.
    MWRitter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #382
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MWRitter View Post
    Am I the only one whose Live Trax 42 showed up with postage due? USPS wants $2.85 before I can have it.
    WHAT!!? Now this is something to really bother the Warehouse/Musictoday about instead of asking if DMB Live 25 will be re-released as a download and/or CD for the Nth time.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #383
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    WHAT!!? Now this is something to really bother the Warehouse/Musictoday about instead of asking if DMB Live 25 will be re-released as a download and/or CD for the Nth time.
    HahaHa. Seriously was the genesis of Ants' forums founded on snarky, asshole-ish sarcasm?? It's always just been riddled with it.
    Nashville '00, '04, ‘19, & ‘23, D&T 2x ‘17, Cincy '07 & ‘21, Charlotte '08, Louisville '08, Charlottesville N2 '09, ‘16, & N2 ‘18, Deer Creek N2 '09, DM in Nashville '10, Atlanta '10 - '12, '14 - '16, & ‘18 -‘19, ‘23, Raleigh ‘18 and ‘21 - ‘22, Memphis ‘19 & ‘23.
    DaveHead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #384
    robby_idol

My Tour Central Stats

LT 42
    LT 8
    LT 40

My current go-to live releases. I miss that jazzy sound.
    Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #385
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MWRitter View Post
    #Cap$haw'd
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 04:01 AM   #386
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead77 View Post
    HahaHa. Seriously was the genesis of Ants' forums founded on snarky, asshole-ish sarcasm?? It's always just been riddled with it.
    i know right. you can't even have a conversation on here without people running their mouths.
    kingofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 04:46 AM   #387
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Same here. I'm not a fan of having Tim in the band full time, but if he is, there should be SOME songs that he plays acoustic on instead.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 04:51 AM   #388
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Mix on this one is fuckin sweet
    Old 07-25-2017, 05:06 AM   #389
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    Mix on this one is fuckin sweet
    yeah this one does sound really good.
    kingofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 08:07 AM   #390
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    LT 42
    LT 8
    LT 40

My current go-to live releases. I miss that jazzy sound.
    I've got LT8, 25, 26, and 42 on my phone. I have to get LT40.

I really love A Dream So Real. I had never really heard it in full before with a good quality recording. Love Cater's drumming, and the overall sound.

But I agree, these are the best years.

Last edited by RainDog1980; 07-25-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote