**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 478 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #14311
LowEnd_Theory
...the cool-out breed

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlad04 View Post
thanks for the input. Such tough decisions, it's no wonder I can't ever pull the trigger. Just saw this deal now too, seems pretty solid, I can't find the speakers alone for anything less than $300.
https://slickdeals.net/f/9458111-kli...archBarV2Algo1
I'll always advocate for these based on my experience. At $160 these are an easy buy-- great clarity and suprisingly large bass for bookshelves. I love them.

https://www.vminnovations.com/Produc...FYsvgQodRHwA9w

I know there's a full moon every night. When I dress black it snows white...
LowEnd_Theory is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #14312
    wbouchy

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    How are the performances on the Gary Clark 10"? I almost grabbed that but the price for 2 songs was a little steep. If they are "must have" performances through I will probably run back to the store and get it.
    Gave it a spin last night. Love that it is a 45rpm 10" and the sound is great... that being said the songs/performances are nothing that special. I didn't read into it beforehand, but they are two solo songs from the show "roadies". The Healing is good, but I didnt care for church at all. I guess I was thinking it would be more like his live album, and not just him and a guitar.

Listened to most of the first side of the James Bay live album and liked it a lot more.
    Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #14313
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone have the 2016 reissue of Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American"? Bullmoose has it for $11.99 and I'm deciding if I should pull the trigger or not.

Any info on pressing/sound quality would be appreciated
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #14314
    SpartanPhish87

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

LOVING the Jerry Garcia "Reflections" RSD release. Some of my favorite Jerry tunes of all time on that record and it sounds great. Got the limited edition purple release. Sounds outstanding.

Currently spinning Bitches Brew. Can never turn this one off once I start.
    SpartanPhish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2016, 05:31 AM   #14315
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

So I took a bit of a long shot yesterday. I was browsing Ebay and saw a copy of Phish's Farmhouse listed for $49.99 and "Buy it Now" with the option for best offer. Normally this goes for a couple hundred so I was intrigued off the bat.

I read through the description and the seller noted that it had a bunch of scuffs and marks, and there were skips on the first two tracks of side 1. Normally I shrug off people claiming skips, because it's usually a result of a bad/poorly adjusted turntable; but the note of "scuffs and marks" gave me pause. I contacted the seller and he said that he only got the skips when playing on his "portable player".

So I offered him $35 and he accepted; so we will see in about a week or so what kind of deal I got. For $35, if the album is chewed up and unplayable, it is still a cool collectors item and I'll replace it with the eventual remastered reissue.

Here's to hoping!
    Old 12-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #14316
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I'd like some decent speakers and amp though in the next year. Any recommendations? The built in preamp on my AT 120 turntable doesn't give me enough "umph", if that makes sense. And my speakers are just embarrassingly old and cheap.

Also, can anyone recommend a better cartridge than the standard one that comes with the AT LP120?

Thanks!
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #14317
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

What's a record that is your holy grail at the moment? I've had several. One being Love is Hell. I bought the Mo FI reissue of it 2 years ago for around 70 bucks. Before this reissue I couldn't find it for any reasonable price at all. It sounds fantastic and was worth every penny, (even on my suppar system that I mentioned above). Headphones on this are just a treat.

My other holygrail is Tom Waits Raindogs. I've found several copies online but they were insanely priced and didn't seem in that great of quality. A couple years back I remember seeing them for around 40-50 bucks, but I never pulled the trigger. Now that I can't find that price, I really want it. I'm on a mission to collect all the Tom Waits records. I've got about 60 percent right now.
    Old 12-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #14318
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

http://thehardtimes.net/2016/10/16/a...free-cd-vinyl/

chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2016, 05:20 AM   #14319
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    So I took a bit of a long shot yesterday. I was browsing Ebay and saw a copy of Phish's Farmhouse listed for $49.99 and "Buy it Now" with the option for best offer. Normally this goes for a couple hundred so I was intrigued off the bat.

I read through the description and the seller noted that it had a bunch of scuffs and marks, and there were skips on the first two tracks of side 1. Normally I shrug off people claiming skips, because it's usually a result of a bad/poorly adjusted turntable; but the note of "scuffs and marks" gave me pause. I contacted the seller and he said that he only got the skips when playing on his "portable player".

So I offered him $35 and he accepted; so we will see in about a week or so what kind of deal I got. For $35, if the album is chewed up and unplayable, it is still a cool collectors item and I'll replace it with the eventual remastered reissue.

Here's to hoping!
    wow, that's sweet. i poke around and look for these every once in awhile as well.

i've just been waiting for reissue.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2016, 05:29 AM   #14320
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    wow, that's sweet. i poke around and look for these every once in awhile as well.

i've just been waiting for reissue.
    Yeah, I had pretty much just assumed both Farmhouse and Ghost were no-go's and I'd just pick up a reissue in 2020 or whenever they get it out. But for $35, it was a no-brainer. If the thing is so beat to hell that it's unplayable, oh well
    Old 12-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #14321
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
    What's a record that is your holy grail at the moment? I've had several. One being Love is Hell. I bought the Mo FI reissue of it 2 years ago for around 70 bucks. Before this reissue I couldn't find it for any reasonable price at all. It sounds fantastic and was worth every penny
    It's absolutely fantastic. I've seen some confusion about MOFI releases, some people mistakenly think that the "Original Master Recordings" banner means only original analogue masters were used and that the Silver Series banner means they couldn't find the original masters and so some other source is used, both are wholly incorrect.

OMR = original master was used, does NOT mean the original master was analogue. Dire Straits Brothers in Arms for example is a 16-bit PCM recording! Pressed at RTI on their 180g deluxe profile vinyl.

Silver Series = titles they feel are a little less in line with their usual releases, original masters are not guaranteed (they'll use them if they get them otherwise they'll use the next best verfied source) and they press at RTI using the standard 150g vinyl profile.

With Love is Hell the original masters were used for the 16 album tracks, the weight is largely irrelevant to me. Vinyl is such that no pressing plant is guaranteed to be perfect but RTI do a damned good job. Love is Hell sounds absolutely fantastic and blows away the original CD, it's not even close. It sounds absolutely gorgeous, the production on this album was so good, love the balance throughout the spectrum from the clarity of the sibilants of the percussion right down to deep, tight lowest notes of the bass. I finally picked a copy of this up two months ago, the MSRP was a little prohibitive to me but I've thrilled to finally own a copy.
    Old 12-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #14322
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Anyone have the 2016 reissue of Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American"? Bullmoose has it for $11.99 and I'm deciding if I should pull the trigger or not.

Any info on pressing/sound quality would be appreciated
    I had the 2011 $75 ORG copy mastered from the original masters, but I ended up selling it and I can't see the deadwax info listed online. The 2016 was cut by Chris Bellman but doesn't list source material but the deadwax doesn't have a "U" in it according to Discogs so it wasn't cut at URP. For the $12 I'd take a chance on the Bellman cut.
    Old 12-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #14323
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

So that chance I took on the Farmhouse record last week for $35 paid off big time. It arrived today and is in great shape. Some light scuffs and minor surface noise on a few tracks, and a dinged corner of the jackets, but overall it is in great shape and this was an absolute steal. Couldn't be happier. The mastering isn't the greatest, but I'm sure the eventual remaster will take care of that

http://imgur.com/a/h84h9
    Old 12-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #14324
    DMB1983

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    It's absolutely fantastic. I've seen some confusion about MOFI releases, some people mistakenly think that the "Original Master Recordings" banner means only original analogue masters were used and that the Silver Series banner means they couldn't find the original masters and so some other source is used, both are wholly incorrect.

OMR = original master was used, does NOT mean the original master was analogue. Dire Straits Brothers in Arms for example is a 16-bit PCM recording! Pressed at RTI on their 180g deluxe profile vinyl.

Silver Series = titles they feel are a little less in line with their usual releases, original masters are not guaranteed (they'll use them if they get them otherwise they'll use the next best verfied source) and they press at RTI using the standard 150g vinyl profile.

With Love is Hell the original masters were used for the 16 album tracks, the weight is largely irrelevant to me. Vinyl is such that no pressing plant is guaranteed to be perfect but RTI do a damned good job. Love is Hell sounds absolutely fantastic and blows away the original CD, it's not even close. It sounds absolutely gorgeous, the production on this album was so good, love the balance throughout the spectrum from the clarity of the sibilants of the percussion right down to deep, tight lowest notes of the bass. I finally picked a copy of this up two months ago, the MSRP was a little prohibitive to me but I've thrilled to finally own a copy.
    Glad we agree Doby! It's truly a sonic masterpiece if I've ever heard one. Would have loved to been in the studio during the recordings.

I actually like that some of the guitar solos are different from the original release too. Just gives it a more unique feel. I don't know if these were approved by Ryan Adams, but they are good.

And the bonus material... Most other artists would love to have that as side A stuff..
    Old 12-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #14325
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So that chance I took on the Farmhouse record last week for $35 paid off big time. It arrived today and is in great shape. Some light scuffs and minor surface noise on a few tracks, and a dinged corner of the jackets, but overall it is in great shape and this was an absolute steal. Couldn't be happier. The mastering isn't the greatest, but I'm sure the eventual remaster will take care of that

That's still a really cool thing to have. Great grab!
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #14326
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
    What's a record that is your holy grail at the moment? I've had several. One being Love is Hell. I bought the Mo FI reissue of it 2 years ago for around 70 bucks. Before this reissue I couldn't find it for any reasonable price at all. It sounds fantastic and was worth every penny, (even on my suppar system that I mentioned above). Headphones on this are just a treat.

My other holygrail is Tom Waits Raindogs. I've found several copies online but they were insanely priced and didn't seem in that great of quality. A couple years back I remember seeing them for around 40-50 bucks, but I never pulled the trigger. Now that I can't find that price, I really want it. I'm on a mission to collect all the Tom Waits records. I've got about 60 percent right now.
    Rain Dogs is pretty darn great on vinyl, I have all most of my Tom Waits collection completed. Only a couple of disappointments in the batch, Real Gone being the main one.

My Holy Grail that I have is Daniel Lanois- Acadie. Beautiful, perfect, sonics are amazing, a great vinyl experience. My grail I'm searching for is The Mars Volta- Frances the Mute. Im hoping that one gets reissued at some point because I wont pay anywhere near what people ask for it now (and Im guessing the sonics are not great), and maybe Beck-Sea Change. Also one I would like to see reissued.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #14327
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Rain Dogs is pretty darn great on vinyl, I have all most of my Tom Waits collection completed. Only a couple of disappointments in the batch, Real Gone being the main one.

My Holy Grail that I have is Daniel Lanois- Acadie. Beautiful, perfect, sonics are amazing, a great vinyl experience. My grail I'm searching for is The Mars Volta- Frances the Mute. Im hoping that one gets reissued at some point because I wont pay anywhere near what people ask for it now (and Im guessing the sonics are not great), and maybe Beck-Sea Change. Also one I would like to see reissued.
    Sea Change just saw a reissue
    Old 12-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #14328
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

very cool. happy that worked out for you.

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #14329
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
    very cool. happy that worked out for you.
    Thanks! Now I just have to track down a copy of Ghost....

And hopefully they release Billy Breathes in 2017
    Old 12-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #14330
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sea Change just saw a reissue
    Yeah, Ill probably pick one up but its the wrong reissue. I want the MoFi, although it sounds like the new one gets decent reviews.
    Old 12-07-2016, 04:16 AM   #14331
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I follow phish on eBay for this very reason. Good buy man.
    mcwyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2016, 05:22 AM   #14332
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I live in NYC. Doby, chad, anybody really -- where i begin to search for someone who can rip/digitize a vinyl boxset for me "professionally," in lossless essentially? Is there a proper name to search on google?
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #14333
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    I live in NYC. Doby, chad, anybody really -- where i begin to search for someone who can rip/digitize a vinyl boxset for me "professionally," in lossless essentially? Is there a proper name to search on google?
    You will always "lose" something going from analog to digital, but getting needle drops done in 24 bit FLAC (assuming you want FLAC?) you wont lose anything noticeable.

I'm not sure if you will find someone advertising those services, you might be better off finding a music/audiophile listening group in your area, record store?, facebook group?, meet up . org?, and searching it out that way. Im guessing you want someone who has a high end turntable/needle to get good quality files out?

While perfectly legal to make your own personal use back up copies of your records, I dont think its as clear if someone can take your records, make copies, and then distribute them back to you. That might explain why there arent people running that type of business. But plenty of people are doing it themselves and being in NYC there must be several dozen folks who could help you out. Plus, you find a new vinyl friend that way.
    Old 12-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #14334
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone here have the Twin Peaks Original Score re-issue? Would love to pick this up.
    BTCS_JTR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #14335
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Quote:
    You will always "lose" something going from analog to digital, but getting needle drops done in 24 bit FLAC (assuming you want FLAC?) you wont lose anything noticeable.

I'm not sure if you will find someone advertising those services, you might be better off finding a music/audiophile listening group in your area, record store?, facebook group?, meet up . org?, and searching it out that way. Im guessing you want someone who has a high end turntable/needle to get good quality files out?

While perfectly legal to make your own personal use back up copies of your records, I dont think its as clear if someone can take your records, make copies, and then distribute them back to you. That might explain why there arent people running that type of business. But plenty of people are doing it themselves and being in NYC there must be several dozen folks who could help you out. Plus, you find a new vinyl friend that way.

Yeah I figured it was along those lines. That's why I used quotes around professionally haha. I'm hoping the label releases digital tracks for it, they said they will *eventually* but no announcement. Thanks!
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #14336
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah I figured it was along those lines. That's why I used quotes around professionally haha. I'm hoping the label releases digital tracks for it, they said they will *eventually* but no announcement. Thanks!
    Out of curiosity, what is the album? Interesting that no digital format exists
    Old 12-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #14337
    DeuceStep

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Pearl Jam vinyl Vault #5 is available again to 10 Club members and Vault #6 is available to non 10 Club members again.
    DeuceStep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #14338
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What's the album?

Is there not a good digital version of the album that accompanied the vinyl? I've found that usually with most vinyl releases I've purchased they come with a solid quality digital accompanying download. Not as good as the vinyl, but solid.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #14339
    Jsc6545

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

what do you guys use as a display stand for the album cover (while playing)?
    Jsc6545 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #14340
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jsc6545 View Post
    what do you guys use as a display stand for the album cover (while playing)?
    I just have an empty place on my shelves that I slide it until it's time to go back
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote