Dating is miserable - Page 1513 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #45361
dmbetc
Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dating is miserable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbball17 View Post
Alright, I need your help miserable daters.

Been with the girlfriend for a little over 4 months now, all of it long distance, and she's in the process of transferring to a school in my town. She says that it's mostly for me, because at this point, transferring will set her graduation date back over a year.

I'm feeling the pressure. She keeps reminding me how she's moving her whole life for me, and I don't know how many times I've told her that she needs to do what's best for HER, not us. And I also feel like if I EVER get the idea that we should break up, it will ruin her whole life, because she's now in this new town and it will be my fault that she's here, etc.

What do I do?
This is the part that worries me. It is so hard to get caught up in emotions, especially in the beginning of a relationship. It sounds like your minds are already made, but just be cautious. Are you guys going to be living together? Regardless, you two NEED to establish some individual time from the start.

This is very similar to my last relationship; we started dating long distance (we knew each other prior though) and then she moved a few months later, from FL to NY, to be with me. We moved right in together and proceeded to meld into a single life style. Being able to finally be together all the time after spending the beginning of the relationship apart really hurt us in the long run.

Obviously your relationship won't be a mirror image of mine, but as I said, be cautious. It's really easy to get swept away and not take those crucial steps in the beginning. Her moving FOR YOU could potentially cause resentment down the road for her and pressure for you. It's a conversation that needs to be had, make sure you are both on the same page.

I wish you luck, because it CAN work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
Go Kings Go.
dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #45362
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    yeah...it was an interesting conversation I had with my friend. we both talked about both sides of it and we felt it comes down to a lack of self-confidence if not being or having the best is that big of an issue for a party involved.

and kendall, I guess it just comes down to how good you are together...are you good together because you're not with each other all the time? a girl I was off and on with...I moved in with her and our relationship just plummeted because we needed our time apart while we were still figuring each other out. I mean if 4 months is enough for you to know, then sure, go for it, being able to still graduate on time takes some pressure off, but I feel like 4 months is such a short amount of time.

but I say that because I'm rarely desired by anyone for anything other than a casual lay
    That's a good point, and I think we are good together. But you're totally right, 4 months is a young relationship, VERY young, and we both recognize that. But we also don't want to do another year and a half of long distance, because both of our schedules are so crazy that we don't have 4 hours a day to Skype each other, ya know?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbetc View Post
    This is the part that worries me. It is so hard to get caught up in emotions, especially in the beginning of a relationship. It sounds like your minds are already made, but just be cautious. Are you guys going to be living together? Regardless, you two NEED to establish some individual time from the start.

This is very similar to my last relationship; we started dating long distance (we knew each other prior though) and then she moved a few months later, from FL to NY, to be with me. We moved right in together and proceeded to meld into a single life style. Being able to finally be together all the time after spending the beginning of the relationship apart really hurt us in the long run.

Obviously your relationship won't be a mirror image of mine, but as I said, be cautious. It's really easy to get swept away and not take those crucial steps in the beginning. Her moving FOR YOU could potentially cause resentment down the road for her and pressure for you. It's a conversation that needs to be had, make sure you are both on the same page.

I wish you luck, because it CAN work!
    We are definitely NOT moving in together-we both established that from the beginning. She's getting an apartment and I'm staying in the house I'm at right now. I feel like moving in together right now would not be healthy, since 4 months, again, is such a young relationship.
    But thank you, I'm going to have a talk with her today just confirming her reasons for moving here, and making sure there's more of a benefit than just me.

Thank you everyone, you always have the best advice!
    Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #45363
    wnderwoman

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I'm late on this discussion, but definitely get that "moving my whole world for for you" stuff off the table asap. It's totally unfair to you.
    wnderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #45364
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnderwoman View Post
    I'm late on this discussion, but definitely get that "moving my whole world for for you" stuff off the table asap. It's totally unfair to you.
    I know Especially when I've said about a thousand times that I'd rather endure long distance than have her move here just for me...but the graduation date officially staying the same REALLY helps. I don't think I would've let her move up here if it was going to push her back 1+ years.
    Old 05-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #45365
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

Shows Seen: 107

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alright, I need your help miserable daters.

Been with the girlfriend for a little over 4 months now, all of it long distance, and she's in the process of transferring to a school in my town. She says that it's mostly for me, because at this point, transferring will set her graduation date back over a year.

I'm feeling the pressure. She keeps reminding me how she's moving her whole life for me, and I don't know how many times I've told her that she needs to do what's best for HER, not us. And I also feel like if I EVER get the idea that we should break up, it will ruin her whole life, because she's now in this new town and it will be my fault that she's here, etc.

What do I do?
    Sorry I'm late to the convo, but my $0.02...and I didn't really read other responses, so sorry if I repeat what everyone is saying:

If she keeps reminding you about how she's moving her whole life for you, what the fuck? What's the point of that (keeping you reminded)? Is she trying to make you feel bad? Is she trying to say that if you weren't in her life she'd be better off or happier? Annoying.

No one should ever move somewhere FOR someone else unless they are married to that person or the move is ultimately beneficial for both people. She should be approaching it from the "I'm going to school in a new town where there will be new people and new opportunities...and it's great that my boyfriend also happens to live there". It sounds to me like she's going at it from the "I'm moving to school in a new town because my boyfriend lives there...he better live up to my expectations and appreciate the sacrifice I'm making for him". One sounds great, and the other sounds bitchy...especially when it's the exact same action.

I believe this situation will work if you nip in the bud from the beginning. Be honest from the start about how you really want her to get her own identity in the new place and that it's going to be VERY important that you both do your own thing with different groups of people. You need to make it clear that the move has to benefit HER for different reasons, just as much as it benefits you.
    Calm down, 12.
    dmbgodagirl41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #45366
    aicdmb
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Katie......you realize Jordanball is a chick, right???
    aicdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #45367
    Stouggies

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

^ does that realy matter with Katie's advice, I think she makes a good point.
    Stouggies is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #45368
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbgodagirl41 View Post
    Sorry I'm late to the convo, but my $0.02...and I didn't really read other responses, so sorry if I repeat what everyone is saying:

If she keeps reminding you about how she's moving her whole life for you, what the fuck? What's the point of that (keeping you reminded)? Is she trying to make you feel bad? Is she trying to say that if you weren't in her life she'd be better off or happier? Annoying.

No one should ever move somewhere FOR someone else unless they are married to that person or the move is ultimately beneficial for both people. She should be approaching it from the "I'm going to school in a new town where there will be new people and new opportunities...and it's great that my boyfriend also happens to live there". It sounds to me like she's going at it from the "I'm moving to school in a new town because my boyfriend lives there...he better live up to my expectations and appreciate the sacrifice I'm making for him". One sounds great, and the other sounds bitchy...especially when it's the exact same action.

I believe this situation will work if you nip in the bud from the beginning. Be honest from the start about how you really want her to get her own identity in the new place and that it's going to be VERY important that you both do your own thing with different groups of people. You need to make it clear that the move has to benefit HER for different reasons, just as much as it benefits you.
    This is such a great point and pretty much sums up my thoughts about this whole situation. I totally feel like sometimes she's putting the burden on me to make this a good decision, and I was (and am) still a little scared that she will depend on me for her social life. I'm a very independent person, and having a significant other around 24/7 is just not who I am or what I need. So hopefully she will make new friends (she's a big people person) and have her own social circle. But that's a whole other issue in itself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aicdmb View Post
    Katie......you realize Jordanball is a chick, right???
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stouggies View Post
    ^ does that realy matter with Katie's advice, I think she makes a good point.
    Old 05-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #45369
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Some online profiles are terrible.

Pic 1 profile : ok, we all need one
    Pic 2 repeat of profile : why?
    Pic 3 the ocean : wtf?

I could use a little more to go on.....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #45370
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    Some online profiles are terrible.

Pic 1 profile : ok, we all need one
    Pic 2 repeat of profile : why?
    Pic 3 the ocean : wtf?

I could use a little more to go on.....
    I hate this. Chicks are notorious for putting up pictures that have no bearing on whether we'll want anything to do with them. Oh, you posted a picture of a deck. Cool. If anything, it hurts them on their sales pitch when they waste a picture spot that doesn't even have them in it or doesn't display them at their best. I've started discounting girls who post pictures of themselves covered in color run rainbow bukkake.

Edit: And ones that have sunglasses on in all their pictures.

Pic 1: Group shot with bad lighting
    Pic 2: Color run bukkake group shot
    Pic 3: Dog
    Pic 4: Feet on a pool deck

Marry me?

Last edited by Nick@Night; 05-05-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    Nick@Night is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #45371
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick@Night View Post
    I hate this. Chicks are notorious for putting up pictures that have no bearing on whether we'll want anything to do with them. Oh, you posted a picture of a deck. Cool. If anything, it hurts them on their sales pitch when they waste a picture spot that doesn't even have them in it or doesn't display them at their best. I've started discounting girls who post pictures of themselves covered in color run rainbow bukkake.
    This one girls profile pic is her in the water getting kissed on the cheek by a dolphin.

Another chick has a profile pic of a beach with her feet in the foreground.
    Old 05-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #45372
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

In other news, Tindered my way in to another 40 year old last night (44, to be exact).
    Old 05-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #45373
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In other news, Tindered my way in to another 40 year old last night (44, to be exact).
    So...went on tinder, met someone, met up, bedded down? All same day?

Who was she?
    Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #45374
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    So...went on tinder, met someone, met up, bedded down? All same day?

Who was she?
    Took a couple days to be able to meet up in person, but the rest happened in the same episode, yes.
    Old 05-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #45375
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Took a couple days to be able to meet up in person, but the rest happened in the same episode, yes.
    So will you see her again or is it an agreed upon one time thing?

If my questions are stupid, sorry, but I have so many....
    Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #45376
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Online dating sounds awful.
    Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #45377
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    It is.
    A lot of black chicks want to meet me.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #45378
    thechad90000
    You're Goddamn Right

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's the worst. But I still do it.
    "Her one drink had Cecelia giggling and talking and she was explaining that animals had souls too. Nobody challenged her opinion. It was possible, we knew. What we weren't sure of was if we had any. - Charles Bukowski
    thechad90000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #45379
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    question my friend posed to me:

how important is it that the person you end up with is the best sex you've ever experienced?

I pose the question to this thread as it led to an interesting conversation.
    If I ended up with the person I've engaged in the "best sex [I've] ever experienced," I might be just as batshit insane as she was. Satisfying sex is important; doesn't mean it has to be the "best."

Quote:
    This is true in most respects.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #45380
    Alazais
    Troy For Mayor

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It is bad. It is also so easy though. It's a great way to keep the pipeline of quality candidates full while searching out the ones in person. Good times.

In other news, I've been seeing a pharmacist for a bit (like two weeks). She's very sweet. I think I may like her. Like you know... Like her.
    Old 05-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #45381
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

do you mean that you like being in her vagina or that you like her?
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #45382
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
    It is.
    A lot of black chicks want to meet me.
    Smudge-what's your online dating experience? Why do you say aweful?
    Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #45383
    Alazais
    Troy For Mayor

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    do you mean that you like being in her vagina or that you like her?
    Both, actually. There have been few vaginas I have been in that I've not enjoyed being in (everything else about them may be brutal, but the warm, moist goodness that is a vagina. Very rarely do I hate that).

I like her. She is a very sweet woman. She's Portuguese, speaks it fluently (only way she communicates with her family).

On an unrelated note:

What is everyones thoughts on taking someones virginity?
    Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #45384
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

^least favorite sexual experiences.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #45385
    Ashley J
    Bump n Grind

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alazais View Post
    Both, actually. There have been few vaginas I have been in that I've not enjoyed being in (everything else about them may be brutal, but the warm, moist goodness that is a vagina. Very rarely do I hate that).

I like her. She is a very sweet woman. She's Portuguese, speaks it fluently (only way she communicates with her family).

On an unrelated note:

What is everyones thoughts on taking someones virginity?
    Bad news. Especially this late in life... not good.
    Old 05-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #45386
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

My Tour Central Stats

Is it weird that I'm starting to "miss" hooking up with random girls? Last semester there were 8-9 different girls that I did stuff with...I love my girlfriend, but is it weird that I miss the excitement and adventure of trying to woo women?

I think what also is making me feel this way is that I'm starting to realize that I suck at serious relationships (due to sheer inexperience-this is my first serious relationship in over four years), whereas I was very talented at picking up random hookups. This relationship is so much more fulfilling and it's what I actually want, but I guess lately the thoughts of a different girl every week are attractive again.

I dunno, sometimes I use this thread as a diary I just feel shitty about this.
    Old 05-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #45387
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Is it weird that I'm starting to "miss" hooking up with random girls? Last semester there were 8-9 different girls that I did stuff with...I love my girlfriend, but is it weird that I miss the excitement and adventure of trying to woo women?

I think what also is making me feel this way is that I'm starting to realize that I suck at serious relationships (due to sheer inexperience-this is my first serious relationship in over four years), whereas I was very talented at picking up random hookups. This relationship is so much more fulfilling and it's what I actually want, but I guess lately the thoughts of a different girl every week are attractive again.

Are you and Alazais brother and sister?
    Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #45388
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Definitely is a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side" don't feel bad about thinking that.

Also can you please start every post in here from now on with "dear diary.."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #45389
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Are you and Alazais brother and sister?
    He is much more impressive than I am. But there were definitely times when I was texting 4-5 girls at once. It was exhausting.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbetc View Post
    Definitely is a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side" don't feel bad about thinking that.

Also can you please start every post in here from now on with "dear diary.."
    Done. And I'm glad those thoughts aren't abnormal.
    Old 05-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #45390
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Ladies is pimps, too. Go and brush your shoulders off.