Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #61
BLile

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Big 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
Oh, no doubt about that. I didn't love Crash as much the first time I listened to it as I loved it even six months later.
I don't post here much, but I lurk when I have the chance. I've read your posts/threads and tend to agree with a lot of what you have to say. I enjoy a lot of the same music that you seem to like (jazz, bebop, etc.) That being said, I feel comfortable stating that you are going to enjoy this record....very much. I'm interested in hearing your feedback once you get a good listen.
BLile is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #62
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BLile View Post
    I don't post here much, but I lurk when I have the chance. I've read your posts/threads and tend to agree with a lot of what you have to say. I enjoy a lot of the same music that you seem to like (jazz, bebop, etc.) That being said, I feel comfortable stating that you are going to enjoy this record....very much. I'm interested in hearing your feedback once you get a good listen.
    Cool man
    MistreatedLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #63
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

this album goes really good with a sam adams blackberry witbier
    dmband425 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #64
    BLile

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmband425 View Post
    this album goes really good with a sam adams blackberry witbier
    or a Dales Pale Ale.
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #65
    Bukaloo

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what makes you think that?
    Well, personally, I love how the entire album sounds. Each song is unique, which is a lovely change from Everyday, SU. As these songs are played live, and as we listen to them more, I think they'll grow on many of us. I can't speak for everyone, but I find myself really enjoying it.
    Bukaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #66
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bukaloo View Post
    Well, personally, I love how the entire album sounds. Each song is unique, which is a lovely change from Everyday, SU. As these songs are played live, and as we listen to them more, I think they'll grow on many of us. I can't speak for everyone, but I find myself really enjoying it.
    Would you say you are ready to put some of these in your top 10-20 studio tracks?
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #67
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    or a Dales Pale Ale.
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #68
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Would you say you are ready to put some of these in your top 10-20 studio tracks?
    way too early, but squirm i would say yes...and i also really love Spaceman.
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #69
    Bukaloo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Not yet, I haven't heard them enough to make a quality judgement. But if I were to guess, I would say 2 or 3 of them would make it.
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #70
    Heavy As Stone
    My wife is hot.

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For a few, yes.

Edit: At this point in time, after hearing them multiple times, it is a possibility. Need more time.

[/sarcasm]

Heavy As Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #71
    Blaster456

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thegreatr1 View Post
    I agree with this. To explain, let me walk you through my DMB experience...

I became a fan just before Crash came out. A friend of mine popped UTTAD into his car stereo and I fell in love with Warehouse. DMB, to me at the time, seemed like an awesome, new, up-and-coming group and I wanted to be in on the ground floor.

Then came Crash...and super-stardom. Crash had a ton of "traditional DMB," because quite a few of the songs were road-tested for years, but it also had elements of pop. The fear, at least for me, following this album was that they were going to go mainstream. Their next album was SURE to be even more mainstream, and the band that I had grown so attached to would be gone.

But it didn't happen. Instead, we were blessed with BTCS. If I remember correctly, fan opinion wavered on this one in the beginning. Some people were put off by the odd sounds and diversity of the album...but in time, we all seemed to grow to love it.

The next album was thought to be BTCS part 2. People knew Dave was getting depressed, and word was that the new songs were really dark, but rocking. The summer 2000 tour did nothing to let us down. Unfinished, but amazing versions of Grey Street, JTR, SUAD, GiG, etc rocked the stadiums night in and night out. During the winter 2000 tour, the boys started playing #41 with a new outro. Rumors spread that said outro was developing into the last song for the new album.

Two months later, Everyday was released. Long-time fans were shocked and appalled. We were expecting a dark, heart-wrenching disc, and instead got a album that sounded more like a Matchbox 20 release (and i mean no offense to MB20 fans).

A month later, in March 2001, the infamous LWS were leaked. Internet sites, P2P sharing systems, and even some radio stations (Y100 in Philly for one played them in their entirety) had these available. The reception was amazing, and fans actually begun to feel cheated.

The later release of BS was merely a consolation prize, filled with watered down versions of what we were expecting 18 months prior.

Since then, old-time DMB fans look back upon those years...1994-2000, as THE ERA OF DMB. Everything that has come since has been a disappointment.

I look at this album and I see quality tunes. Some better than others, of course, but for the most part, it's a very good album. for those of us who have been here since the beginning, though...these songs are still not OUR DMB. I don't see epic, life-altering songs on this album like the Ants, Two Steps, Nancies, and Halloweens of yesteryear. I see concert-fillers for the most part. These songs, for me, will provide better filler than those from ED and SU, but in reality, they're just going to fill the time before the boys get to another one of the songs that I really paid my $70 dollars to come see.

Who knows...maybe I'm wrong and 5 years from now, I'll be paying $100 to go see specifically these songs...I just don't see these songs filling that void for me because these are not the songs I fell in love with all those years ago. I apologize for the history lesson...but I think a lot of people on here would agree that the timeline retold here is a main reason that nothing will ever compare with the Big 3 (4 if you consider the mythical LWS).
    Excellent post. I specially agree with the bolded sentence. IMO thats the main reason why BWGK can't be part of the Big 3. All songs are very good, but none reach the category of epic, even if we give them time to develop in live concerts. By other side, even if it had epic songs it wont be part of the Big 3, because this is a new DMB-era. Like it was said before, the Big 3 represents not only a collection of 3 albums, its part of DMB history, the "good old days".
    Blaster456 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #72
    BLile

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    ML, I can honestly say that I would put 3 tracks in my top 20 right now, without question.

Dive In, Time Bomb, and Squirm.

...and there's like 2 or 3 more knocking on the top 20. Seriously man, it's that good.
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #73
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    ML, I can honestly say that I would put 3 tracks in my top 20 right now, without question.

...and there's like 2 or 3 more knocking on the top 20. Seriously man, it's that good.
    Whoaaaa Dive In? Really? To each his/her own, but whoa I disagree there.
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #74
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

IMO, the comparisons to ED and SU have to stop. By doing that we are degrading this album. We all know that those albums weren't the DMB we know, they had been corrupted by horrible producers and thus produced some pretty bad stuff. By comparing them it's like saying "It may not be great, but at least it's not a piece of shit like ...". Not saying that this album isn't great, I just can't stand when people look at a song (especially when they were getting leaked) and saying "this is 1000x better than SU!". Of course it is. sorry, i just had to say it.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #75
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Well, if that's the case, I could see why you like the album so much.
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #76
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

No. Not a chance.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #77
    BLile

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    Whoaaaa Dive In? Really? To each his/her own, but whoa I disagree there.
    It's all good bro, everyone seems to like different tunes from this album, which IMO makes a great album. When I think about what the tune is about (global warming), it brings it all home. But hey, what a great fucking album, eh?
    Old 05-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #78
    Bukaloo

My Tour Central Stats

It doesn't have nearly the epicness of a Two Step/#41 combo, but it's still really exciting, in my opinion.
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #79
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

I dont see any of these songs cracking my top 25.
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #80
    Bukaloo

My Tour Central Stats

Whoever said it would crack the fanbase down the middle was right. It seems like some people are putting it at the top, while others put it just above Stand Up. Funny how everyone is different!
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #81
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree with this. To explain, let me walk you through my DMB experience...

I became a fan just before Crash came out. A friend of mine popped UTTAD into his car stereo and I fell in love with Warehouse. DMB, to me at the time, seemed like an awesome, new, up-and-coming group and I wanted to be in on the ground floor.

Then came Crash...and super-stardom. Crash had a ton of "traditional DMB," because quite a few of the songs were road-tested for years, but it also had elements of pop. The fear, at least for me, following this album was that they were going to go mainstream. Their next album was SURE to be even more mainstream, and the band that I had grown so attached to would be gone.

But it didn't happen. Instead, we were blessed with BTCS. If I remember correctly, fan opinion wavered on this one in the beginning. Some people were put off by the odd sounds and diversity of the album...but in time, we all seemed to grow to love it.

The next album was thought to be BTCS part 2. People knew Dave was getting depressed, and word was that the new songs were really dark, but rocking. The summer 2000 tour did nothing to let us down. Unfinished, but amazing versions of Grey Street, JTR, SUAD, GiG, etc rocked the stadiums night in and night out. During the winter 2000 tour, the boys started playing #41 with a new outro. Rumors spread that said outro was developing into the last song for the new album.

Two months later, Everyday was released. Long-time fans were shocked and appalled. We were expecting a dark, heart-wrenching disc, and instead got a album that sounded more like a Matchbox 20 release (and i mean no offense to MB20 fans).

A month later, in March 2001, the infamous LWS were leaked. Internet sites, P2P sharing systems, and even some radio stations (Y100 in Philly for one played them in their entirety) had these available. The reception was amazing, and fans actually begun to feel cheated.

The later release of BS was merely a consolation prize, filled with watered down versions of what we were expecting 18 months prior.

Since then, old-time DMB fans look back upon those years...1994-2000, as THE ERA OF DMB. Everything that has come since has been a disappointment.

I look at this album and I see quality tunes. Some better than others, of course, but for the most part, it's a very good album. for those of us who have been here since the beginning, though...these songs are still not OUR DMB. I don't see epic, life-altering songs on this album like the Ants, Two Steps, Nancies, and Halloweens of yesteryear. I see concert-fillers for the most part. These songs, for me, will provide better filler than those from ED and SU, but in reality, they're just going to fill the time before the boys get to another one of the songs that I really paid my $70 dollars to come see.

Who knows...maybe I'm wrong and 5 years from now, I'll be paying $100 to go see specifically these songs...I just don't see these songs filling that void for me because these are not the songs I fell in love with all those years ago. I apologize for the history lesson...but I think a lot of people on here would agree that the timeline retold here is a main reason that nothing will ever compare with the Big 3 (4 if you consider the mythical LWS).
    great songs, but really your life has gotta be pretty unremarkable if ants or halloween alter the way you see things....i mean can you imagine...people in every direction...no words exchanged no time to exchange them...wow! blew me away, i'm gonna start eating better, exercising, and call my family more...i think life altering is a bit overstated
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #82
    Blaster456

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bukaloo View Post
    Whoever said it would crack the fanbase down the middle was right. It seems like some people are putting it at the top, while others put it just above Stand Up. Funny how everyone is different!
    Funny The Way It Is
    Blaster456 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #83
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blaster456 View Post
    Funny The Way It Is
    if you think about, one half is goin one way the other half is headin out...
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #84
    BLile

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    or a Dales Pale Ale.

and it's WHHYYYYYYY IIIII AMMMMMMMM drunk.
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #85
    Mattstl1
    Typical41

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    I dont see any of these songs cracking my top 25.
    That's because you're an elitist "I'd suck dave off through his pajama pants" prick. No offense.
    Mattstl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #86
    thegreatr1
    23 & tired of life

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmband425 View Post
    great songs, but really your life has gotta be pretty unremarkable if ants or halloween alter the way you see things....i mean can you imagine...people in every direction...no words exchanged no time to exchange them...wow! blew me away, i'm gonna start eating better, exercising, and call my family more...i think life altering is a bit overstated
    life-altering as in having meaning in someone's life...not actually behavior-modifying

"You shouldn't take life so seriously. You'll never make it out alive." - VW
    thegreatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #87
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    life-altering as in having meaning in someone's life...not actually behavior-modifying
    still don't know if Ants or Halloween affected me in any way in terms of meaning either. i love them both dearly, but it doesn't make me feel any emotion like Dreaming Tree does.
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #88
    tparker

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe in time. Like others have said right now it can't measure up to those three albums because those are what made most of us fall in love with the band. Ask this in three years when it has settled in. I see a lot of optimism on the boards right now and i feel a lot of it is because they just want to album to amazing, however i do really like it. There are enough songs on here that i don't love that i feel confident enough to say i don't think this will ever become a big 4. With that said i do see me paying for a concert to here some of these songs (Spaceman, Squirm, Seven, Baby Blue, Why I Am). I feel all of those songs can become great staples at DMB concerts but right now everything is too new, its like i don't associate these songs to DMB or DMB's live concert.

All in all i think this is a question that should be asked at least two years from now, let at least one or two shows go through us a see these songs develped live. Great album though with some great songs that i cannot wait to hear live.
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #89
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mattstl1 View Post
    That's because you're an elitist "I'd suck dave off through his pajama pants" prick. No offense.
    Oh ok. You're a fucking piece of shit tool.....no offense.
    Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #90
    jas230314

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mattstl1 View Post

11/19 and 11/20
    Best shows I've ever seen, I'll miss this band

jas230314 is offline   Reply With Quote