**NCAA Basketball Thread** - Page 2451 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #73501
kydmb99
Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Preseason NCAA Basketball Poll is released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
Oh look, Kentucky fans thinking their program is the best of all time. I guess having elite players is not a requirement in their criteria.
Hard to refute a well articulated, thought out argument like this one..
kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #73502
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    Hard to refute a well articulated, thought out argument like this one..
    Yep - it's not like the Kentucky fan listed his (or her) reasons for ranking Kentucky has the top program of all time, and it's not like I mentioned a criteria (something like elite players) or anything.

Kentucky fans are definitely the most insecure fans of any blue blood college basketball program, always trying to come up with lists like this.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #73503
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Kentucky is easily in the top 6 or so all-time basketball traditions

UCLA
    Kansas
    North Carolina
    Duke
    UCONN
    Louisville
    Kentucky

that seems about right...
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #73504
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not sure anyone is arguing about Kentucky being considered one of the top 6 programs in history. In fact, I think most college basketball fans would say they are easily a top 3 program, despite their lack of elite players. I think Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA all have reasons to think each is #1.
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #73505
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yep - it's not like the Kentucky fan listed his (or her) reasons for ranking Kentucky has the top program of all time, and it's not like I mentioned a criteria (something like elite players) or anything.

Kentucky fans are definitely the most insecure fans of any blue blood college basketball program, always trying to come up with lists like this.
    That's a terrible criteria to judge a college program by... Well since that program didn't produce Michael Jordan, it can't be the greatest of all time. That's sound logic.

I was think most all time wins, highest all time winning percentage, most all time tournament wins, 2nd in titles, winning a title with 5 different coaches, etc. would be decent criteria but since that wasn't accomplished with a bevy of NBA all-stars, I guess you're right.

It's the off-season, I apologize for not making some random meaningless list to your liking.
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #73506
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Success over a long period of time is certainly important, but UCLA has three more titles than anyone else. I'm not really sure how you can argue against them not being on top. Maybe if they had 9 to UK's 8 or something, but not when they have 11.
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #73507
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm not sure anyone is arguing about Kentucky being considered one of the top 6 programs in history. In fact, I think most college basketball fans would say they are easily a top 3 program, despite their lack of elite players. I think Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA all have reasons to think each is #1.
    Pretty sure he was trolling.. Poorly, but still trolling.

I agree with this. Have no argument with any of these being listed #1.
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #73508
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Pretty sure he was trolling.. Poorly, but still trolling.

I agree with this. Have no argument with any of these being listed #1.
    obviously... Louisville?

wasn't the thread here "Kentucky basketball: We're the best of all time and we know it?"

doesn't that sum up Kentucky fan in a thread title? Best of all time for college hoops is betwixt UCLA, Kentucky, and Kansas. That's the way I see it.
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #73509
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

Location: Cawood Ledford Court at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess I fon't get how you can say that UConn is a better program when you knock UCLA for a decade of dominance when UConn has basically done the same thing, only they weren't anywhere near as dominant.

During my lifetime, the Heat have been better than the Celtics, does that make them a greater all-time NBA franchise?
    Sports is 'what have you done for me lately'. So Uconn has had a great run and UCLA has been largely mediocre for the last 30 years. Right now they are the better program. Seems like the "all time" thing is what everyone is so indignant over. Semantics but ok, UCLA has had a better history than Uconn BY FAR. But the last 15 years has not been kind to UCLA for the most part and Uconn has 4 titles and a shit ton of momentum. So right now, Uconn is a better program IMO. The Celtics just won a title 6 years ago so that's not a great comparison.

Listen, everyone doesnt need to get all butt hurt and start talking shit about kentucky because I have an unpopular opinion. We were having a good discussion and suddenly Lee can't handle that someone doesnt revere UCLA's 40 year old era of dominance anymore and Jake is....doing whatever Jake does. i'm not trashing UCLA I just don't look at them like a top 5 program anymore. Uconn has been far more successful in the last 20 years and the future certainly looks brighter there. If you don't agree with me, let's discuss it and stop with the immediate crying and shit talking over a difference of opinions.

Last edited by whygohome?; 04-21-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    whygohome? is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #73510
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Is it safe to say that the only inarguable blue bloods are Kentucky, Carolina, and UCLA?

Maybe Duke?

EDIT: And Kansas.

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.

Last edited by thebridge15; 04-21-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #73511
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

I think we can agree that #askemmert is the reason Twitter was invented.

http://onwardstate.com/2014/04/18/th...-of-askemmert/
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #73512
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's a terrible criteria to judge a college program by... Well since that program didn't produce Michael Jordan, it can't be the greatest of all time. That's sound logic.
    You listed some important criteria (Final 4s, tourney wins, championships, etc), but having elite basketball players play at a particular school is also a criteria. More power to Kentucky for winning a lot of championships without these type of players, but having Jordan play at UNC, or KAJ at UCLA or Wilt at Kansas is something I feel helps the legacy of a program.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whygohome? View Post
    Sports is 'what have you done for me lately'. So Uconn has had a great run and UCLA has been largely mediocre for the last 30 years. Right now they are the better program. Seems like the "all time" thing is what everyone is so indignant over. Semantics but ok, UCLA has had a better history than Uconn BY FAR. But the last 15 years has not been kind to UCLA for the most part and Uconn has 4 titles and a shit ton of momentum. So right now, Uconn is a better program IMO. The Celtics just won a title 6 years ago so that's not a great comparison.

Listen, everyone doesnt need to get all butt hurt and start talking shit about kentucky because I have an unpopular opinion. We were having a good discussion and suddenly Lee can't handle that someone doesnt revere UCLA's 40 year old era of dominance anymore and Jake is....doing whatever Jake does. i'm not trashing UCLA I just don't look at them like a top 5 program anymore. Uconn has been far more successful in the last 20 years and the future certainly looks brighter there. If you don't agree with me, let's discuss it and stop with the immediate crying and shit talking over a difference of opinions.
    Love debating with insecure fans like whygo. You should reread my posts again, I said there are 3 programs who can really make logical claims to being the top. Question - if, when evaluating college basketball programs, we aren't allowed to use championships in the 60s & 70s, are we still allowed to use to championships won in the 40s and 50s?

Speaking of UConn, since they have had more championships than Kentucky the last 15 years (actually the last 35 years), why aren't they number 1 or 2?

Finally, in regards to the criteria of elite players - which by no means is the most important thing, but is something I feel is important, when the only 4 basketball hall of famers who played at your school, who are in the HoF for playing are Cliff Hagan, Frank Ramsey, Adrian Smith & Dan Issel, that's not helping your argument.
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #73513
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    Is it safe to say that the only inarguable blue bloods are Kentucky, Carolina, and UCLA?

Maybe Duke?

I feel like Indiana should be there, or at least the top of the next group.
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #73514
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

You do realize UK has the 2nd most all-americans in college basketball history? How do you define "elite players"?
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #73515
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Maybe Duke?

Eh, UCLA is a 'blue blood' because of all those titles but for me their apathetic fan base and lack of relevance in the last 30 years hurts their case. I think "blue blood' teams should have rabid, die hard fan bases which i think we can all agree UCLA does not have.

I know I can't discount 11 titles but despite their insane amount of titles they don't have much else going for them in my book. But alas, titles are indeed what we play for and I can't dismiss that at all, I'm just saying the case for UCLA is only strong because of one factor. A team like Indiana has half as many titles as UCLA, and equally irrelevant in the years since, but a massive fan base of die hards. That adds a little to the equation IMO
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #73516
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You do realize UK has the 2nd most all-americans in college basketball history? How do you define "elite players"?
    Basketball Hall of Fame
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #73517
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You listed some important criteria (Final 4s, tourney wins, championships, etc), but having elite basketball players play at a particular school is also a criteria. More power to Kentucky for winning a lot of championships without these type of players, but having Jordan play at UNC, or KAJ at UCLA or Wilt at Kansas is something I feel helps the legacy of a program.

Love debating with insecure fans like whygo. You should reread my posts again, I said there are 3 programs who can really make logical claims to being the top. Question - if, when evaluating college basketball programs, we aren't allowed to use championships in the 60s & 70s, are we still allowed to use to championships won in the 40s and 50s?

Speaking of UConn, since they have had more championships than Kentucky the last 15 years (actually the last 35 years), why aren't they number 1 or 2?

Finally, in regards to the criteria of elite players - which by no means is the most important thing, but is something I feel is important, when the only 4 basketball hall of famers who played at your school, who are in the HoF for playing are Cliff Hagan, Frank Ramsey, Adrian Smith & Dan Issel, that's not helping your argument.
    Damn you are seriously mad over my opinion man. Settle down, I promise I never care that much about anyone not holding my program in reverence. I never said anything about 'not counting' your titles because of how long it's been, you made that up. Use your own advice and re-read what I said. I said UCLA's incredible mediocrity in the 40 years since their dominance is why I don't consider them a blue blood anymore. And to your other points, i didnt make my post to argue with you and I don't even know what point you're trying to make about UK so I'll leave that alone.

My team is currently really relevant and I can present a coherent argument instead of butt hurt rambling so a UCLA fan grasping at straws so desperate to troll the person who made an off-hand comment that he didnt think UCLA was a top 5 program anymore (when it's rare your team even gets brought up) and calling ME insecure is QUITE RICH. you and jake should put your heads together and come up with an outline for how to troll more effectively.

But anyway, I made a post and people disagree. No idea where all the trolling and anger came from. It's like Lee has been waiting for someone to bring up UCLA so he could point out that UK hasn't had good players or something historically?
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #73518
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Just one guy's opinion but I think using what a player did after college to determine how good a college's talent is/was is a pretty bad way of looking at it.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #73519
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Basketball Hall of Fame
    right, most people point to that before they look at all american team members

Also when talking about college players it's pretty stupid to need to bring in their pro careers to validate how good they were relating to your program. Lots of great college players don't do shit in the NBA, doesnt change the fact that they were great college players.

Last edited by whygohome?; 04-21-2014 at 10:22 AM.
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #73520
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

For example, Bobby Hurley was a freaking hell of a player. If you're trying to tell me that he doesn't count towards the talent that Duke has had over the years, you should go back to the NBA thread.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #73521
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

My Tour Central Stats

I'm curious Lee, what makes you think I'm so insecure as a UK fan? I'd think the guy rambling and arguing relevancy justification about his own team, who has had maybe 5 good seasons since reagan was in office, wouldn't be so quick to throw that term around but you surprise me.
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #73522
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    Just one guy's opinion but I think using what a player did after college to determine how good a college's talent is/was is a pretty bad way of looking at it.

We agree on this.
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #73523
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

Whygo.. So much anger.
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #73524
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whygohome? View Post
    I'm curious Lee, what makes you think I'm so insecure as a UK fan? I'd think the guy rambling and arguing relevancy justification about his own team, who has had maybe 5 good seasons since reagan was in office, wouldn't be so quick to throw that term around but you surprise me.
    Agreed. Only relevant seasons when looking at college basketball history are ones where Kentucky made the Final 4.

Care to answer the question about why UConn isn't ranked ahead of Kentucky on your 'list'?
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #73525
    thebridge15

My Tour Central Stats

only on ants would kentucky fans completely melt down when talking about blue bloods

Old 04-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #73526
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Its odd that they have a top 3 program - possibly 1 - and are so defensive and insecure
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #73527
    kydmb99
    Jorts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    only on ants would kentucky fans completely melt down when talking about blue bloods
    Fail to see where I've "melted down".
    Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #73528
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

My Tour Central Stats

yeah what did I do to melt down? how does lee coming in and freaking out about my opinion suddenly mean i melted down??

Last edited by whygohome?; 04-21-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    Old 04-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #73529
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Agreed. Only relevant seasons when looking at college basketball history are ones where Kentucky made the Final 4.

Care to answer the question about why UConn isn't ranked ahead of Kentucky on your 'list'?
    what the.... who said anything like that? I can't invent relevant seasons for UCLA man, sorry if that bothers you that UK has been more successful lately. I have no idea where all this anger is coming from and now apparently I've melted down. If you look at my original post i even explained my reasoning and didnt trash talk or anything, then you come in butt aflame and start talking about how UK doesnt have enough members of the hall of fame and how I'm insecure....i'm certainly confused.

Because UK has current success and past success. Pretty simple.

Last edited by whygohome?; 04-21-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Old 04-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #73530
    thebridge15

My Tour Central Stats

the paragraphs and paragraphs of discussion count as melting. UK is obviously a legitimate blue blood, so saying otherwise is trolling, just laugh it off

Tags
    basketball , ncaa