**Offical NASCAR Thread** - Page 299 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #8941
weller3377
Bag It, Tag It

Shows Seen: 64

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Offical NASCAR Thread**

Sounds like Jr. getting his head all banged up really made him think about his future.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #8942
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Carl can make a killing for the next 30 years of his life not driving. I imagine Fox or NBC will have him in a chair tomorrow.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #8943
    jmc419

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

So who will replace Carl? Maybe Hornish?
    jmc419 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #8944
    weller3377
    Bag It, Tag It

Shows Seen: 64

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmc419 View Post
    So who will replace Carl? Maybe Hornish?
    Daniel Suarez
    Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #8945
    Klize17

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I wish Sam would come back to Indy Car...I don't think it will ever happen but I wish.
    Klize17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #8946
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

As I stated before, I believe Carl will regret this at some point down the line. He has lot that competitive drive right now, but somewhere it is deep in him (otherwise he never would have reached the top) and will come out again. When that happens, it will probably be to late to do anything about it.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #8947
    clayj41

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Major changes to the points system:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...announced.html

This series has become nearly unrecognizable compared to when most of us started watching it.
    clayj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #8948
    defcon
    :rattled

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Clusterfuck is what it is. If they went back to pre-chase rules, they'd fill stands and bring TV viewership up again. There's no stability to this new system. Compared to this, the Chase looks like an old institution. This seems more like pre-feature heat/qualifying race formats at a local track than NASCAR.

It's sad to watch a sport slowly die.
    Old 01-24-2017, 05:07 AM   #8949
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Agreed with what has been said already. Hard to watch NASCAR fall apart like this. I feel like I will have watched the rise and fall of NASCAR in my life time.

Biggest issue with this format is that is impacts the Daytona 500. That race should be sacred.
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    Old 01-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #8950
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

What a dog and pony show this will be.

I really don't like the fact that now two drivers will have ten point leads before the Daytona 500 even starts.

EDIT: And did I read that right that they will be literally stopping the race at the end of each "stage" and it's not going to be simply like a competition caution? If that's true that's even more horrendous in my opinion.

Last edited by jrkarger; 01-24-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    jrkarger is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2017, 06:26 AM   #8951
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clayj41 View Post
    This series has become nearly unrecognizable compared to when most of us started watching it.
    I think the worst part is driver turnover. I started paying attention when Big E died. Before that, I knew names like Gordon, Wallace, Petty, Big E, Jarrett etc. but really didn't follow the sport. I started really getting into it when Dale Jr. won the 2004 500.

But, after so many of the drivers that got me into to sport have retired (Wallace, Jarrett, Burton, Elliot, Stewart, Gordon, now Edwards), it has become a chore to stay interested. I will watch the 500 because it's the 500, but I only casually pay attention any more as opposed to make a point to catch the races every weekend.

I think once Jr hangs it up, I'll probably be done for good. I like Keslowski but not enough to watch the races week in and week out.
    Old 01-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #8952
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah real bad look here. They better hope Jr. keeps racing forever.
    Old 01-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #8953
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    Yeah real bad look here. They better hope Jr. keeps racing forever.
    Ain't that the truth!

You can also add Mark Martin and Bobby Labonte to that list of drivers that I rattled off. I'm sure I'm probably missing others.
    Old 01-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #8954
    clayj41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrkarger View Post
    What a dog and pony show this will be.

I really don't like the fact that now two drivers will have ten point leads before the Daytona 500 even starts.

EDIT: And did I read that right that they will be literally stopping the race at the end of each "stage" and it's not going to be simply like a competition caution? If that's true that's even more horrendous in my opinion.
    In watching yesterday's press conference, my understanding is the exact opposite. I questioned it myself, but I felt they covered that point fairly clearly. Otherwise they're in for 6 hour races.
    Old 01-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #8955
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

So is there going to be an intermission? I mean, at least give us time to get our food and beers, maybe run to the store. Are they going to reset the field, red flag it, or what? Bring them to the pits, park them on the track, competition stop? Is there going to be a winner's circle for every segment? How will we determine the race winner? Will it be the winner of the last segment, whoever has the most points/best average spot through all the segments?

I would say now that he's married and talking about having kids, Jr. has 5-10 years of racing left, at best. He'll be in his early/mid 50s in 10 years, which is above the average age of retirees now. However, if he gets another hard knock, I have a feeling that could be the last we see of him as a driver. He's already a made man. It's not like he needs the money. Other factors, such as winning a Cup title, or a solid, solid season, could hasten his retirement, too.

In the next 20 years, I predict NASCAR will abandon push-rod 357 cu. inch V-8s in favor of either more modern, powerful, engines or some sort of hybrid. I also predict it will open up to more manufacturers. People said there'd never be a foreign manufacturer in NASCAR, and now Toyota has statistically eclipsed Ford as the Second most successful manufacturer about 3 years running. Dodge is coming back no later than 2020. VW has even expressed interest.

These are just the beginning of the changes. The sport is changing, I'm not sure if it's evolving, but it's definitely changing. Again, I say NASCAR should at least try the formula that worked in the 90s. Sure, it's not as exciting, but it provides stability and fills stands. NASCAR has shifted from filling stands to increasing TV viewership and advertising revenues.
    Old 01-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #8956
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In watching yesterday's press conference, my understanding is the exact opposite. I questioned it myself, but I felt they covered that point fairly clearly. Otherwise they're in for 6 hour races.

I didn't see the press conference so I'll take your word for it. However, I've read in difference places that the TV networks intend on interviewing drivers during the "intermissions".

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...ancements.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NASCAR FAQs
    The green flag begins the race, and therefore Stage 1. Its length is approximately 25-30 percent of the event's total length -- it is different for each race, dependent on track size and race length -- with the ending marked via a stage checkered flag (the stage can end under caution, if necessary).

At the conclusion of Stage 1, there is a caution period for drivers to come down pit road (innovative strategies will be crucial under these enhancements.) Stage 2 will then begin with a drop of the green flag for the restart. Its length is approximately 25-30 percent of the event's total length -- it is different for each race, dependent on track size and race length -- with the ending marked via a stage checkered flag (the stage can end under caution, if necessary).
    http://www.nascar.com/content/nascar...ff-gordon.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NASCAR
    "Well, you can never guarantee anything, but I can say that sitting in the room all along the way with us were our two TV partners, and that was one of the core things we looked at," said Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer. "We listened to the fans and we see the fans, as well, that we don't like breaking away from live action. Can we eliminate that totally? Probably not. But this format allowed us to do that. That's why we put in two breaks."

The new race format, which involves splitting races into three segments, now provides a natural interlude in the action after each of the opening two stages. Both Jeff Burton (NBC Sports) and Jeff Gordon (FOX Sports) -- two racers-turned-analysts -- said that broadcasters intend to use these intermissions to potentially interview stage winners and to take commercial breaks with minimal interruptions of pit stops or other crucial moments.
    http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/01/...ff-format.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fox News
    NASCAR was energized by the changes, particularly the stages that will allow for a commercial break that doesn't occur during green-flag racing. Segment winners will be interviewed during the breaks, and NASCAR likes that it creates a pause that gives fans a chance to reset. It comes as the series is desperately trying to improve both attendance and television ratings, and Fox Sports estimated it will air 20 percent more of actual racing action because of the commercial breaks.
    Old 01-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #8957
    clayj41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by defcon View Post
    So is there going to be an intermission? I mean, at least give us time to get our food and beers, maybe run to the store. Are they going to reset the field, red flag it, or what? Bring them to the pits, park them on the track, competition stop? Is there going to be a winner's circle for every segment? How will we determine the race winner? Will it be the winner of the last segment, whoever has the most points/best average spot through all the segments?
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nascar-...234955970.html

"The drivers who finish in the top 10 of each of the first two segments will receive points while the finishing order at the end of the third and final stage will be the race’s finishing order. The winner of the third segment is the race winner and will get 40 points.

Each regular-season race win will be worth five bonus points to start the playoffs. In 2016, drivers got three points at the beginning of the Chase for each win in the regular season. A segment win will be worth one Playoff bonus point.

The first segment will be the first 25 percent of the race while the second segment will be the second 25 percent. Each segment will end with a caution flag. The cautions will give the races predetermined breaks in the action to help Fox and NBC air as many commercials as possible under yellow flag conditions.

Bonus points are also handed out for the drivers in the top 10 in the points standings at the end of the regular season. The driver who is leading the points standings at the end of the first 26 races in the Cup Series will receive 15 points while the other drivers in the top 10 will also receive bonus points for the Chase.

And, most importantly, those bonus points will carry over into the first three rounds of the playoffs. In the old format, the bonus points disappeared after the first round and the 12 drivers remaining in the second round all started with the same points total."
    Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #8958
    clayj41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrkarger View Post
    I didn't see the press conference so I'll take your word for it. However, I've read in difference places that the TV networks intend on interviewing drivers during the "intermissions".

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...ancements.html

http://www.nascar.com/content/nascar...ff-gordon.html

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/01/...ff-format.html
    They definitely touched upon the interview thing in the press conference. While they didn't specifically state it, however, my reading of everything else indicates they will be in-car interviews.
    Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #8959
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    and Fox Sports estimated it will air 20 percent more of actual racing action because of the commercial breaks.
    I'll believe that when I see it.
    Old 01-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #8960
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Also, they pretty much own the Spring before baseball gets hot in the Summer. It's once Football starts their ratings tank.
    Old 01-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #8961
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They definitely touched upon the interview thing in the press conference. While they didn't specifically state it, however, my reading of everything else indicates they will be in-car interviews.
    I hope so
    Old 01-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #8962
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks. Still seems like a clusterfuck to manage. Teams are going to have to beef up their statisticians now. It seems like they're rewarding technicalities instead of actual quality racing. If it were up to me, if you're going to start handing out points, I'd give points for passing, for one, for gaining spots on pit road, also, and other things I could think of.

All of this is NASCAR realizing a shift in their demographics. At core, it's the same people, but in today's economy, most people can't even afford to take the family out to a race. They can, however, afford to watch it on television. What was cigarettes and beer is now energy drinks, insurance, cell phone stuff. It reflects an aging demographic. I really don't think NASCAR has gained any new fans in the past few years in any real numbers, instead, its core demographic has changed.
    Old 01-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #8963
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

It depends on the track too. In one season I went to Daytona, Charlotte and Martinsville and each race atmosphere couldn't have been more different. Martinsville hands-down is the best race I've ever seen live. Still had the old time feel and atmosphere. Coincidentally, it was also the most affordable of the three.
    Old 01-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #8964
    ramiro24
    Hurricane Rozz

Shows Seen: 74

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah Indycar is where its at these days. Thats all i have to say.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Rozz, you are always partying, even when you're not
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    We all go a little Rozz sometimes
    ramiro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #8965
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramiro24 View Post
    Yeah Indycar is where its at these days. Thats all i have to say.
    I have found myself getting into F1 more and more over the years. Just have a hard time with open-wheel because the potential for serious injury or death is greater and happens more frequently.

I was at the Daytona 500 when Dale Sr. died....it changed how I view racing forever.
    Old 01-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #8966
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post

I was at the Daytona 500 when Dale Sr. died....it changed how I view racing forever.
    I wasn't there, but I remember looking at that last shot of the ambulance going slowly down the road and thinking that it wasn't good.

When I was real young, I was at a dirt track race where a driver was killed and spectators injured by debris. I just remember the feeling there was weighed down by gloom.
    Old 01-30-2017, 08:35 AM   #8967
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Our fantasy league is looking a little weak. Can we get some more signups?
    Old 01-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #8968
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Glad to see the younger Truex getting a full-time truck sponsor for 2017. He's a good driver.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #8969
    Nick_United

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    Our fantasy league is looking a little weak. Can we get some more signups?
    I'd join up if you want to post the link to it.
    Nick_United is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2017, 09:46 AM   #8970
    clayj41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick_United View Post
    I'd join up if you want to post the link to it.
    https://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto

League ID#: 421
    Password: nascar

Tags
    nascar , racing