Best starting instrument for kids - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
TrpngBilly

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Best starting instrument for kids

This is the only place I figure I'll get some good advice on this one so here's where I'm posting. We want to introduce our 4-yr old to music lessons. She has no problem singing her favorite songs on the radio and has obviously has a pretty decent of DMB songs, along with a few other favorites of Mom & Dad. But, when it comes to introducing her to music lessons in lessons for a specific instrument, what is a good one to start with? I've heard piano and guitar but I've also heard that wind instruments are good places to start, so...from some of my DMB minded musicians - which is the better instrument for her to start with? Neither Mom or Dad is musically inclined, at all.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-13-2014, 03:04 AM   #2
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Best starting instrument for kids

my cousin's kids and her friend's kids are going through this now. they're bit older, around 8 or 9, but still just beginning the music search. a few of them are doing wind instruments, but every kid is doing something different. i don't think there is one in particular that is the best way to start. its just whatever they are drawn to. for a kid as young as yours, maybe piano, as i feel like that needs less coordination to start, which is something a 4 year old is still lacking.

whatever route you choose, or your daughter chooses, just show her the fun, cool side of the instrument to get them interested in sticking with it. my mom wanted me to take piano lessons when i was 6. my thought of piano players when i was 6 years old was that of the stuffy tuxedos with coat tails playing classical "crap". it wasn't anything i thought was fun or interesting. i didn't really know about people like billy joel though. my parents never tried to get me into music. it was just "do you want to take piano lessons? no? ok then"
    Old 10-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Honestly I would stay away from music lessons for the time being. If she is really interested in music maybe buy a small, cheap keyboard and guitar/ukulele. Just let her figure it out and play with them and see which she gravitates towards more.

The problem with lessons (and this is just my two cents as an amateur musician of 20+ years) is that they will zap the fun out of music and it becomes work. Music should be enjoyed and part of that enjoyment is discovery. It's a lot like learning your native language. When you first start out, you experiment a lot and probably string together a bunch of wrong words. But it's ok because you're learning. Then as you get a better grasp on it, then you go to school and start learning the proper techniques.

I'm not saying lessons are bad and they aren't needed, but let it be about self discovery until they reach a wall and get to a point where they are ready to take the next step before inundating them with work. Lessons can be good in that they open you up to new ideas and a better musical foundation. But they can also hurt in that they teach "rules" and that things are "wrong".

Guitar and piano are great because you can be self taught and still be amazing. Wind and brass instruments tend to require lessons because of certain techniques like embachure etc. also wind and brass instruments are rather expensive and are sometimes a better investment after your child has developed a true, longer lasting interest in music.
    Old 10-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
    Jake17

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead36 View Post
    Honestly I would stay away from music lessons for the time being. If she is really interested in music maybe buy a small, cheap keyboard and guitar/ukulele. Just let her figure it out and play with them and see which she gravitates towards more.

The problem with lessons (and this is just my two cents as an amateur musician of 20+ years) is that they will zap the fun out of music and it becomes work. Music should be enjoyed and part of that enjoyment is discovery. It's a lot like learning your native language. When you first start out, you experiment a lot and probably string together a bunch of wrong words. But it's ok because you're learning. Then as you get a better grasp on it, then you go to school and start learning the proper techniques.

I'm not saying lessons are bad and they aren't needed, but let it be about self discovery until they reach a wall and get to a point where they are ready to take the next step before inundating them with work. Lessons can be good in that they open you up to new ideas and a better musical foundation. But they can also hurt in that they teach "rules" and that things are "wrong".

Guitar and piano are great because you can be self taught and still be amazing. Wind and brass instruments tend to require lessons because of certain techniques like embachure etc. also wind and brass instruments are rather expensive and are sometimes a better investment after your child has developed a true, longer lasting interest in music.
    This guy gets it.

If you want to do your kids a huge musical favor, start them playing the drums.