Weightlifting - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #91
jmudmbphan
27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

^ never experienced that. I really have no side effects (that I know of) from the creatine. I'm more pumped up and can lifted heavier and longer...seems to be doing its job for me..
because they are clearly better.......? How's that for a reason? They also played IN New York, on a cold windy night. You put Elisha in a no-elements warm climate and he's fucked. No way in high holy fuck is New England going to lose the Super Bowl. It's not going to happen.
jmudmbphan is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #92
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmudmbphan View Post
    ^ never experienced that. I really have no side effects (that I know of) from the creatine. I'm more pumped up and can lifted heavier and longer...seems to be doing its job for me..
    How do you guys take your creatine? With a shake post workout or pre?
    dmbredsox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #93
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crush086 View Post
    There's plenty of protein powders that are aimed specifically at building mass, like Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex Gainer (650 calories, 60g Protein). That alone will likely contribute to a good chunk of your daily surplus (and protein intake).
    I honestly haven't read up, looked into any 'gainers' before but it sounds like something that could be helpful to me. Any pros/cons you can think of? Take it daily I assume?
    Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #94
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbredsox36 View Post
    How do you guys take your creatine? With a shake post workout or pre?
    Pre. I mix it with my White Flood about 20-30 minutes before I get to the gym.

Also, for those unaware, www.wheycheap.com sometimes puts really good things on their daily deal (the whole premise of the site is to offer 1 product a day all day [until they run out] at a bigger than usual discount). Today they have EAS Pro Science Creatine (100 servings) for just under $11 a tub. If I didn't already have the Green Mag I'd jump on it.
    Old 09-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #95
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I honestly haven't read up, looked into any 'gainers' before but it sounds like something that could be helpful to me. Any pros/cons you can think of? Take it daily I assume?
    Only con I can think of is getting a crappy flavor. It's essentially like other powders, except it has more protein, carbs and BCAAs than other powders.

The biggest pro is the convenience of it. You can do your normal diet, but since you're aiming for a caloric surplus, instead of having to eat another meal when you're probably not hungry anymore, one shake will provide you with probably 25% of your suggested intake, plenty of carbs and 60g of protein. You could either drink it in the morning to get a "headstart" on your macros, or save it for later in the day when you've ate all day but still fall a bit short.
    Old 09-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #96
    dollarbill

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

dbol is the breakfast of champions!!!!!!!!!!
    dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #97
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Also, for those unaware, www.wheycheap.com sometimes puts really good things on their daily deal (the whole premise of the site is to offer 1 product a day all day [until they run out] at a bigger than usual discount). Today they have EAS Pro Science Creatine (100 servings) for just under $11 a tub. If I didn't already have the Green Mag I'd jump on it.
    Huh, well alright then...for some reason I thought I had read about taken creatine with your protein drink after a workout. But I can try it before, maybe mix it in with my pre-workout? (Jackd)

And thanks for the info about the gainers. I'll definitely look into that come winter time.
    Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #98
    achtungbaby

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Huh, well alright then...for some reason I thought I had read about taken creatine with your protein drink after a workout. But I can try it before, maybe mix it in with my pre-workout? (Jackd)

And thanks for the info about the gainers. I'll definitely look into that come winter time.
    Before and after are both fine...especially if you are doing a loading or maintenance phase of a creatine cycle, you can spread out your intake into 2 or 3 doses, which makes it easier than gulping down 20 grams or so in one shot.
    achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #99
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

My WF came in this weekend and I gave it a run this morning. Good stuff. I was standing in the gym trying to untangle my headphones and I was about to freak out from standing still for so long.

My Higher Power creatine came in too and I mixed them together before I worked out. Maybe I used too much water, but it has a really diluted taste and I had to gulp it down.
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #100
    thom hudson
    Cold Noses

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimi Thing 10 View Post
    My WF came in this weekend and I gave it a run this morning. Good stuff. I was standing in the gym trying to untangle my headphones and I was about to freak out from standing still for so long.

My Higher Power creatine came in too and I mixed them together before I worked out. Maybe I used too much water, but it has a really diluted taste and I had to gulp it down.
    that happens to me
    Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #101
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

When I mix the WF and the Green Mag it's actually really sweet. 2 scoops of WF and 1 scoop of GM in 16 oz. of water is still really sweet. Heck, that alone can wake you up and get you ready for the gym.

Even with 1 scoop of each in 16 oz. it's still got quite the kick. It could've been too much water.
    Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #102
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Is anyone following this thread using a premade workout or just winging it on your own? Curious what some of you guys are doing for routines....
    Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #103
    LaunchOne
    omg w/e etc.

My Tour Central Stats

Any good protein bar suggestions?
    Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #104
    thom hudson
    Cold Noses

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
    Is anyone following this thread using a premade workout or just winging it on your own? Curious what some of you guys are doing for routines....
    I do 5 days/week, alternating between one day: full body workout w/special emphasis on 1-2 muscle groups per session, and the other day: abs/cardio.
    Yesterday, I lifted, this morning did an ab circuit and used the elliptical for 40 mins...
    Tomorrow I'll probably rest, then Wed back to weights, Thurs cardio (either run on treadmill or thru my neighborhood) and abs, Friday off, and so on...

This has been working very well for me. I trimmed down, lost about 50 lbs over the past 1.5 years, and am now just trying to build lean muscle...not looking to be huge, just toned and healthy.

I completely took on a new lifestyle of diet and exercise, and at this point could never go back to the way I was. I feel fantastic. Rock.
    Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #105
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Little bit of both. Got the suggestion from an experienced lifter on what parts to work together, but this is roughly how it goes.

I'll run to the car and get my journal and post a couple things i do for each part.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaunchOne View Post
    Any good protein bar suggestions?
    Supreme Protein makes the best ones I've tasted. Go with the Cookies & Cream or Pretzel Twist.
    Old 09-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #106
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Worst part about getting back into a creatine is peeing all the fucking time.
    Old 09-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #107
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Alright, workout 4 or 5 times a week, I usually shoot for Monday-Friday, but use the weekend to make up for potential missed days.

Chest/Biceps
    - Bench (usually flat and decline)
    - Dumbell Incline Press (or flat/decline. Interchangable with the benching)
    - Dumbell Flyes
    - Dumbell Curls
    - Overhead Cable Curls

Legs
    - Squats
    - Walking Lunge
    - Calf Raises
    - Leg Press
    - Leg Extension
    - Prone Leg Curl

Back/Triceps
    - Bentover Reverse Grip Barbell Rows
    - One Arm Rows
    - Skullcrushers
    - Dips
    - Dumbbell Triceps Extension

I usually do 7-8 moves in a workout, 4 sets of 8.
    Old 09-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #108
    mechman

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Getting back into lifting today. It'll be rough...I lifted a lot freshman year (put 50 pounds on my max bench) but had a little hernia scare in May and have been tenative ever since. Time to nut up and get back into it. Lost around 30-40 pounds this summer through cardio and running, so I'm expecting my lifting weights to reflect that.
    mechman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #109
    LaunchOne
    omg w/e etc.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Supreme Protein makes the best ones I've tasted. Go with the Cookies & Cream or Pretzel Twist.
    Hmm, just checked these out and they seem to have quite a bit of fat. Is that the norm with most protein bars? I have a few of these at the moment but they're loaded with sugar alcohols, so I suppose that's not any better. Just like having some on hand for meal replacement in a pinch, not really concerned with taste as much.
    Old 09-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #110
    DMBand520

Shows Seen: 161

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Check out some of the routines from this site:

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/for...Weight-Lifting

It's a pretty good place in general to get advice about lifting.

IMO, most people are better off sticking with a full body routine 3-4 days a week which focuses mostly in compound exercises with just a few isolation exercises mixed in. Too many people do stuff like 4 different types of curls or hitting chest with 2 different types of flies and 3 different types of presses. In general that is kind of a waste if you don't already have a decent strength base built up. Just focus on getting stronger in Deadlift, Squat, Bench, and Overhead Press. For people that want to get "toned" you can still work on getting your maxes up for those 4 major compound movements. Then once you've added a significant amount of strength/muscle work on maintaining all your lifts while adding in cardio and adjusting your diet to cut fat.
    Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #111
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBand520 View Post
    Check out some of the routines from this site:

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/for...Weight-Lifting

It's a pretty good place in general to get advice about lifting.
    ^this

I was in the test group for HCT-12 and it was a great program. I had taken a lot of time off after a major move/career change and it whipped me back into shape and got my strength back to where it was before I stopped going to the gym. It may not be for everyone but it worked for me...I eliminated a bunch of aches and pains I developed from being so stagnant (I have bad posture so they pop up fast if I'm not leading an active lifestyle) and put 40 pounds on my bench press in less than 10 weeks. (not a big deal but good for me since I'm not terribly strong)
    Old 09-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #112
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alright, workout 4 or 5 times a week, I usually shoot for Monday-Friday, but use the weekend to make up for potential missed days.

Chest/Biceps
    - Bench (usually flat and decline)
    - Dumbell Incline Press (or flat/decline. Interchangable with the benching)
    - Dumbell Flyes
    - Dumbell Curls
    - Overhead Cable Curls

Legs
    - Squats
    - Walking Lunge
    - Calf Raises
    - Leg Press
    - Leg Extension
    - Prone Leg Curl

Back/Triceps
    - One Arm Rows
    - Skullcrushers
    - Dips

I usually do 7-8 moves in a workout, 4 sets of 8.
    Nice looking routine. I do something similar but I spread myself out over 4 days. The only real difference is I don't do leg extensions...they're terrible for your knees at a very heavy weight (though if you go light I wouldn't stop anyone from doing it...they are great for burning the hell out of your quads)
    Old 09-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #113
    Luther College

My Tour Central Stats

For people that are just beginning, I would stress that it is important to do each excercise correctly. It should go without saying, but I would say at least 70 percent of the people at the gym I use do literally every exercise incorrectly. Typical examples are people doing bicep curls, but leaning and bending backward just to lift the weight. They're trying to act tough by lifting heavier weights, but they're not doing themselves any good, and quite frankly they look like idiots. Also, a lot of people arch their backs a ton when they're benching, even on their first set. You're supposed to keep your back flat on the bench, or it's not considered an actual rep. That's the type of thing people look for at the NFL combine when players are doing their reps of 225. There are guys who get 5-10 more "reps" if they were allowed to arch their back.
    Luther College is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #114
    nadia

Shows Seen: 95

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

[QUOTE=Crush086;11821482]

Back/Triceps
    - One Arm Rows
    - Skullcrushers
    - Dips
    QUOTE]

Reverse grip BB rows? I'm trying to picture this without breaking my wrist, but I should try it. I do a lot of BB rows & T bar rows.
    nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #115
    koolout

My Tour Central Stats

Seasons over so I'll start lifting in about a month. All I'll supplement is a protein/carb smoothies pwo. Questioning creatine. Is being a little stronger worth the extra dead mass I'll put on from it? Extra unnecessary weight is not good
    koolout is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #116
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nadia View Post

Reverse grip BB rows? I'm trying to picture this without breaking my wrist, but I should try it. I do a lot of BB rows & T bar rows.
    Picture doing normal Bentover Rows, and how you'd normally have an overhanded grip (I believe it's also common to do one hand over, one hand under). Reverse grip is just gripping it underhanded with both hands, so you'd work the triceps a bit more as opposed to the biceps.

It's actually one of my main back exercises, but I figured I'd alter it a little to work the triceps more too.
    Old 09-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #117
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by koolout View Post
    Seasons over so I'll start lifting in about a month. All I'll supplement is a protein/carb smoothies pwo. Questioning creatine. Is being a little stronger worth the extra dead mass I'll put on from it? Extra unnecessary weight is not good
    Depends on what your goals are. If you don't want to put on the extra weight then you might want to shy away from it. I always use it while bulking so I'll be putting on weight that's going to be cut anyway.
    Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #118
    koolout

My Tour Central Stats

Gain strength without adding much mass. I am a cyclist. I'll gain a few pounds over the winter, but I am worries the extra weight from creatine will be too much to melt away quickly. Particularly for early season races. It's actually a highly debated topic with cyclists. Creatine will increase strength but the extra cancels it out. It's all about weight to power. Only a couple pounds can make a huge difference
    koolout is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #119
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luther College View Post
    For people that are just beginning, I would stress that it is important to do each excercise correctly. It should go without saying, but I would say at least 70 percent of the people at the gym I use do literally every exercise incorrectly. Typical examples are people doing bicep curls, but leaning and bending backward just to lift the weight. They're trying to act tough by lifting heavier weights, but they're not doing themselves any good, and quite frankly they look like idiots. Also, a lot of people arch their backs a ton when they're benching, even on their first set. You're supposed to keep your back flat on the bench, or it's not considered an actual rep. That's the type of thing people look for at the NFL combine when players are doing their reps of 225. There are guys who get 5-10 more "reps" if they were allowed to arch their back.
    ^this. form is super important to learn early on and maintain no matter what you are training. If you don't end up hurting yourself you are just cheating yourself out of any results from the lift itself.
    Old 10-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #120
    jpevear

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luther College View Post

Word. If you're not doing the exercise correctly, you're wasting your time. I love watching these idiots at the gym do dumbbell curls with 50 lb weights in each hand who are almost entirely using their back and forward propulsion to bring the weight up. Not only do they look foolish, they are using only about 20% of their bicep.