Comic Book Discussion - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
KevinTH
KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Comic Book Discussion

Figured a few of us nerds could use one thread to discuss all things comics. I have always been a huge superhero fan and a fan of "geeky" movies like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. However, growing up I never read any comic books. The summer The Dark Knight came out I became obsessed with anything Batman. I just couldn't get enough. So I started reading every Batman graphic novel I could find. I read The Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush, Year One, Robin: Year One & Batgirl: Year One. Then my brother pushed The Watchmen on me. I wish I read that at another time because I was just so engrossed in Batman that I didn't really care for it. Anyway, after that summer I kind of fell off the comic book map. Recently I have just been getting into the scene. I have started the New 52 as it's been suggested to me if I want to start reading since it's still fairly early on in the issues. I bought the Flashpoint movie which I may need to watch again because it lost me a couple of times. I just read Justice League: Origins Vol. 1 which was awesome and I'm starting Batman: Court of Owls Vol. 1 which I'm enjoying.

I really want to get serious about reading and I'm looking forward to it. I definitely want to get into Superman (was told to start with New 52 Action Comics). I also want to start getting havy into The Flash and Green Lantern as the only thing I know about them is what I've seen either in the Green Lantern movie or the original 1990 cheesy Flash show. I'm finding getting started rather overwhelming. Where do I start? What's the correct lineage? I've also noticed that thhey're only up I think maybe 3 volumes of the actual New 52 books. So if I read, say, the next two Batman volumes, how do I get the next set of comics so I can catch up to the current run? As you can see I'm new to this and have lots of questions.
KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Comic Book Discussion

I never read them, but have in the past read:

Batman: Year One
    Watchmen
    Road to Perdition (graphic novel - not really a comic but Im counting it)

All three were well written. I feel like comic book dialogue is notoriously cheesy, but I didnt get TOO much of that reading these.
    Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    I never read them, but have in the past read:

Batman: Year One
    Watchmen
    Road to Perdition (graphic novel - not really a comic but Im counting it)

All three were well written. I feel like comic book dialogue is notoriously cheesy, but I didnt get TOO much of that reading these.
    Definitly can be but I look past it.
    Old 11-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Cbr and cbz files are your friend
    Old 11-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    Cbr and cbz files are your friend
    That's how I read the first batch of comics I read back in 2008. Maybe I'll do the same when I'm caught up.
    Old 11-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
    DMB2010

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I'm actually in a comic book/graphic novel english class this semester. We've read a few good ones so far that I've liked. Some have been mentioned already

What I've read and recommend:

The Dark Knight Returns
    Maus
    Watchmen
    Preacher
    Akira
    DMB2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I read Red Son Superman over the summer. That was awesome. Neat concept.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    I read Red Son Superman over the summer. That was awesome. Neat concept.
    Is that the one where Superman crashes in Russia and is raised there as opposed to landing in Smalleville and being raise din America? If so that seems like a very cool concept.
    Old 11-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
    DoOrDoNotNoTry

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I currently read Batman, Daredevil, and Saga.

Saga is phenomenal. It's written by Brian K. Vaughn, who wrote for lost. It's a mature, independent comic that has some fantastic storytelling.
    Old 11-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoOrDoNotNoTry View Post
    I currently read Batman, Daredevil, and Saga.

Saga is phenomenal. It's written by Brian K. Vaughn, who wrote for lost. It's a mature, independent comic that has some fantastic storytelling.
    Interesting. I may look into this. Lost is probably my favorite TV show of all time.
    Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
    DoOrDoNotNoTry

My Tour Central Stats

As for getting started, jumping right into the New 52 is exactly what I did. I walked into a comic book store one day, bought Batman 1-3, and I've been hooked since.

Comics are released every Wednesday. There are many websites that include release dates (http://www.comiclist.com/index.php) Find your local comic book store, and just go in and and start talking to the people who work there. They are complete and total nerds, but really friendly. I have a box at mine, which means they will pull my selected comics each week and hold onto them.
    Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I've never read comics, but I do want to read the new comics that tell the story of the original script for Star Wars.

edit: The Star Wars - http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/22-8...ck-Runge-cover

Last edited by Beefsteak1138; 11-26-2013 at 05:38 AM.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I fully support this thread and all its nerdiness
    Old 11-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    I fully support this thread and all its nerdiness
    I've been waiting for you. Now come on Chad...where you at?
    Old 11-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

It really sucks, but my comic book reading has drastically decreased over the past 5-6 years. I've still been able to keep up with some of the major Batman storylines, but I haven't even touched any of the New 52 stuff. I think my girlfriend is gonna come through for me for Christmas and pick up a bunch of the newer novel/compilation stories for me. I have almost no time to keep up on stuff during the semester, but I have a 5-week winter break so I'm sure I'll hit the new stuff hard. Single issues are running for what, $2.25-2.50 these days?
    Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
    DoOrDoNotNoTry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It really sucks, but my comic book reading has drastically decreased over the past 5-6 years. I've still been able to keep up with some of the major Batman storylines, but I haven't even touched any of the New 52 stuff. I think my girlfriend is gonna come through for me for Christmas and pick up a bunch of the newer novel/compilation stories for me. I have almost no time to keep up on stuff during the semester, but I have a 5-week winter break so I'm sure I'll hit the new stuff hard. Single issues are running for what, $2.25-2.50 these days?
    $2.99-3.99, depending on length.

Dude, you gotta read the New 52 Batman. Snyder and Cappulo are a great team. Detective Comics and Batman: The Dark Knight aren't too great. I enjoyed a handful of issues of Batman & Robin.

Last edited by DoOrDoNotNoTry; 11-26-2013 at 07:06 AM.
    DoOrDoNotNoTry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #17
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, I'm trying to do some major catching up. So I've been reading the compilations in order to do so. However, those run at $16 a book so I haven't been able to do it very quickly.
    Old 11-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Dude, you gotta read the New 52 Batman. Snyder and Cappulo are a great team. Detective Comics and Batman: The Dark Knight aren't too great. I enjoyed a handful of issues of Batman & Robin.
    I actually got to look over a couple issues when I was at NYC Comic-Con this year and they look fantastic. I have one of the free promo posters hanging in my room right now, actually

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying to do some major catching up. So I've been reading the compilations in order to do so. However, those run at $16 a book so I haven't been able to do it very quickly.
    Yeah I love the compilations. It's almost like binge-watching a show on Netflix; you don't have to wait another week to see what happens next. I also love the one-shot books and the non-continuity stories, or Earth-# or Elseworlds or however DC is handling those stories now. Batman: Red Rain is one I would highly suggest for those who haven't read it yet.
    Old 11-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I actually got to look over a couple issues when I was at NYC Comic-Con this year and they look fantastic. I have one of the free promo posters hanging in my room right now, actually

Yeah I love the compilations. It's almost like binge-watching a show on Netflix; you don't have to wait another week to see what happens next. I also love the one-shot books and the non-continuity stories, or Earth-# or Elseworlds or however DC is handling those stories now. Batman: Red Rain is one I would highly suggest for those who haven't read it yet.
    Reading them all together keeps me fully engrossed. I have never had to deal with the week to week but I'm afraid I'll forget everything and wind up having to read them all together anyway.

I just started Batman: Court of Owls and really like it. Not too psyched that Dick Grayson is already Nightwing though. I thought that The New 52 was a reboot. I thought Dick Grayson would just be starting as Robin...
    Old 11-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Reading them all together keeps me fully engrossed. I have never had to deal with the week to week but I'm afraid I'll forget everything and wind up having to read them all together anyway.

I just started Batman: Court of Owls and really like it. Not too psyched that Dick Grayson is already Nightwing though. I thought that The New 52 was a reboot. I thought Dick Grayson would just be starting as Robin...
    I think I remember reading that certain aspects of pre-New 52 were going to switch over. Barbara Gordon being Oracle, Jason Todd being killed by Joker, and certain other pivotal moments from the past were going to transfer and just be "assumed" as true going forward. I could be wrong, though.
    Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #21
    DoOrDoNotNoTry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Dick was Robin.

The New 52 Batman is Bruce Wayne five years into his career at the Caped Crusader. So in the course of five years, Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian are all Robin. Stephanie Brown has been ret-conned out.

Right now, they're doing Year Zero, which is detailing Bruce's first year on the job.
    Old 11-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #22
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    May seem a bit old-school, but check your local library. I hadn't been to a library outside of my college campus in years, but just recently started taking my kids, and I was surprised by how many graphic novels they had. I've been able to catch up that way for free.
    Anyone that disagrees with Matty is wrong and should go fuck themselves.
    fonzz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #23
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think I remember reading that certain aspects of pre-New 52 were going to switch over. Barbara Gordon being Oracle, Jason Todd being killed by Joker, and certain other pivotal moments from the past were going to transfer and just be "assumed" as true going forward. I could be wrong, though.
    Got it

Quote:
    Dick was Robin.

The New 52 Batman is Bruce Wayne five years into his career at the Caped Crusader. So in the course of five years, Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian are all Robin. Stephanie Brown has been ret-conned out.

Right now, they're doing Year Zero, which is detailing Bruce's first year on the job.
    Yeah I knew Dick was Robin I just thought he would be in the New 52. But if it carried over thatmakes sense. I was aware of Jason and Tim, just thought it would happen further down the road.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    May seem a bit old-school, but check your local library. I hadn't been to a library outside of my college campus in years, but just recently started taking my kids, and I was surprised by how many graphic novels they had. I've been able to catch up that way for free.
    Nice idea. Don't remember the last time I went to a library.
    Old 11-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #24
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

How often do the compilations come out?
    Old 11-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
    javierm27

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Adding a couple of more.

Superman for All Seasons by Jeph Loeb

Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow by Alan Moore

Last edited by javierm27; 11-26-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    javierm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

Y'all know there's more comics than Batman right?

Anyway, an oldie but goodie is Y: The Last Man. Awesome awesome series
    Old 11-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #27
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

OH and the new Thor: God of Thunder series with the God Butcher was pretty awesome as well. I would put it right up behind Walt Simonson's run.
    Old 11-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #28
    bannar7

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I recently finished the Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest sagas. I'm gonna start the guardians of the galaxy soon and possibly some of the New 52 stuff from DC.

OH, I also read Infinity Gauntlet, which I liked a lot and Ill probably dive into the other tie-ins to that story soon.

Rate Your Music
    bannar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #29
    bannar7

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Maybe thats where ill start with the New 52. I didnt like the Justice League #1 that much. It was okay but nothing special. Aquaman looks awesome though

Rate Your Music
    bannar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #30
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Is that the one where Superman crashes in Russia and is raised there as opposed to landing in Smalleville and being raise din America? If so that seems like a very cool concept.
    It is. Weird as hell to read about Superman as the defender of Communism.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote