no love for DMB in high school - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #121
neumdogg
Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: no love for DMB in high school

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
I was in High School in the 90's, and the radio played DMB all the time, so DMB was pretty common and known back then.
I was in high school in the 90s as well. DMB was never played on the radio in LA for some reason....or it was barely played. However, a bunch of people in my high school loved the band and I followed along.
neumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #122
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Dmb got more popular the older I got. I saw about 5 or 6 kids that went to my school at a dmb show last year. Like I said I even took a friend that used to hate Dmb. Now he is a casual fan. So things changed a bit since I originally posted this. As far as hard core fans maybe 1 or two of those kids are. The rest are casual fans. And that's totally fine.

Back when my bother went to HS a tone of kids were casual fans. Defenty a more then handful were hardcore fans.

I had a teacher that was my brothers age and I used to talk about dmb and WSP A lot and he was really surprised that none of the kids knew about eather of those bands. But in time things change.
    Old 05-31-2016, 10:04 PM   #123
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

So what I'm saying is kids are always going to like it. But it won't be the majority like it once was.
    Old 06-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #124
    TwoStep01

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    I was in high school in the 90s as well. DMB was never played on the radio in LA for some reason....or it was barely played. However, a bunch of people in my high school loved the band and I followed along.
    Actually, DMB did get some play on KROQ (for non LA folks that's the alt-rock station here). Ants, Too Much, So Much to Say, and Crash Into Me all got pretty consistent play when they first came out. Stay and Crush also to a lesser extent. I remember I Did It was in heavy rotation when it first came out.

Then came The Space Between. It got played a bunch on the soft rock/easy listening stations. From that point on, DMB got dropped from KROQ; apparently they just weren't cool enough to rate anymore. Like they don't even play the old 90's stuff anymore. It was like they got punished for Space Between.

Which is funny because they'll still play Tragic Kingdom-era No Doubt songs no matter how shitty that band got. But I guess they're local so they get a pass.

DMB never had the mass following here that they did back east. But somehow Irvine still sells out every year. Won't see any high school kids there though.
    2001:Gorge x3; 2002:Gorge x3; 2003:Gorge x2; 2014:Chula Vista; 2015:Irvine; 2016:Chula Vista, Irvine; 2018:Atlanta, Mtn. View; 2021:Irvine x2; 2022: Chula Vista, Hollywood Bowl x2; 2023:Irvine x2;
    TwoStep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-01-2016, 12:45 AM   #125
    bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I was in High School in the 90's, and the radio played DMB all the time, so DMB was pretty common and known back then.
    I was in high school in the 90's to. Never heard them once and nobody knew them. Of course, that's not in the USA though. If I had never lived in the States (1998-2012) THen I still would probably not know them.
    Old 06-01-2016, 05:37 AM   #126
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cooke726 View Post
    I graduated in 2010..and there was a group of about 10 of us that went to DMB every year, and really followed the band. That is pretty much the same group that I see at shows every year now still. I actually dont mind country, and really like some of it. Its the EDM stuff that I dont get. That shit is torture
    God I feel old, we've been going to see DMB since 95. But there's always been people that thought they sucked, tis the way the world works. But if anyone ever kidnaps me and wants to torture me to death, play country music on one side and rap on another and I will lose my shit.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #127
    clcfball11
    Gooooooose

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Sounds like good times! I'm talking about 06.
    It was! To a music noob like me at the time it might as well have been Woodstock. So much fun. One of those years, alpine lawns were going for $125 in the lots. Crazy to think about now.
    clcfball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #128
    silverbullitt24

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

High school is a phase of life where we all try to "fit in or find our way." Oops. Come get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    silverbullitt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-01-2016, 10:31 AM   #129
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

heres how it was for me...

freshman year 1999 - i was told DMB was awful and that eminem and brittney spears/boy bands were the best currently.
    senior year 2003 - i was seeing those people at tailgates asking me what was opening tonight.

they all come around eventually. well, then they did. i can't speak for now.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #130
    silverbullitt24

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

High school is a phase of life where we all try to "fit in or find our way." We all do stuff and have decisions that we look back on and learn from. We all shift our values. Music is part of that shift.

Think the consistent opinion in here is that it doesn't matter what other people like, honestly. If it puts a smile on your face or uplifts your day then be a part of it. Lord knows high school is a very trying time of "fitting in." You need not sweat people's opinion of what you like.

An intriguing point that I don't think it's been addressed yet in this topic is...

For what reasons does a current high school student even know who DMB is? I like to open that up to discussion.

I'd be surprised at anything other than "mom, dad, older siblings"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    silverbullitt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #131
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    I'm in high school and everybody hates DMB. People dont give the music a chance. People at my school listen to one note and say it sounds like shit.
    everybody listens to Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan,Florida Georgia Line. Every song talks about beer and dip. It sucks to be a DMB fan in HS. Are their any young DMB fans that feel the same way
    I HATED DMB for the longest time up until I was learning how to play guitar and really took to Dave's style in the late 90's. Went to my first show in 2000 and have been hooked since.

DMB is much different than most bands now. When I was in high school, they were the cool "in" band at the time. I think DMB, to younger kids your age, carry the stigma of the old jam band.
    Old 06-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #132
    Mr. Pineapple

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

The very first time I heard Jimi, I thought he was saying: I'll eat some Certs and then I'll starve. Now how's that for high-jinx?
    I blew out my flip-flop. Passed a lil jagged rock./But it's a real beauty, a calcified cutie. How it got here, I haven't a clue. Tailgatin' away again in Pastramiville. Searchin' for my lost bottle of Tums. Some people think that there's the heartburn to blame. But I know. It's all Wegmans fault.
    Mr. Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #133
    Mr. Pineapple

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Pineapple View Post
    The very first time I heard Jimi, I thought he was saying: I'll eat some Certs and then I'll starve. Now how's that for high-jinx?
    Shit. Wrong thread. Meant to post in misheard lyrics. Oh well, I was in high school at the time. It'll work here too.
    I blew out my flip-flop. Passed a lil jagged rock./But it's a real beauty, a calcified cutie. How it got here, I haven't a clue. Tailgatin' away again in Pastramiville. Searchin' for my lost bottle of Tums. Some people think that there's the heartburn to blame. But I know. It's all Wegmans fault.
    Mr. Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #134
    emp88

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

When I graduated hs in 06 everyone was into death cab and other emo stuff. i think there were a few dmb fans but most of my friends didnt like them and I really really wished i had that group of friends to obsess over dmb with but I still have a couple of dmb friends so thats good. anyway, i guess lots of teenagers these days prolly never heard of them which is scary. I remember a few years ago I was working with teenagers and I made some joke/reference to outkast and no one laughed and I realized wow, I am on the other side now...they dont get my references. yikes. Who knows dmb will release another album that has songs on the radio? I hope. I wish Dave were 20 years younger.
    Old 02-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #135
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Hay ants just came to say I remember when ants was pretty encouraging and not calling me a dumb fuck every time I post Btw the tables have turned and I'm here to update that people my age like dmb better they did when I posted this. It's great

Last edited by tyler3440; 02-02-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #136
    podiumboy

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

When I was in college 2000-2004, that was during DMB fever. Every single person I met that was roughly my age was obsessed with DMB. I spend a lot of time in the Ohio State University area of Columbus, even though I didn't go to OSU. It was almost a cliche that everybody was obsessed with DMB. DMB T-shirts were everywhere. Every single Honda civic you saw college kids driving around in had a DMB sticker in the back window. They were packing 2 nights at Polaris/Germain every year, which nobody else was doing. It really was a phenomenon of that time.
    podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #137
    HerdDave

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I hated DMB until probably my mid 20s or later. I just never gave it a chance. I was into rap and RB and had no desire to branch outside that. I got older and more mature and met my wife and she liked DMB and I despised it. I took her to a concert for her college graduation present and I was hooked. I'm not sure what clicked but it did and now I'm a bigger fan of Dave than she is. It's crazy. I guess some just mature over time faster. And some just don't ever like it which is a shame
    HerdDave is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #138
    HerdDave

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Most of the music today is by talentless hacks. It's not even music. When you listen to DMB and the depth of the band and then listen to shit on the radio then it's not even close.
    HerdDave is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #139
    thankyou

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehammer316 View Post
    I got into DMB in HS. It's ok to do so.
    same here '99
    thankyou is offline   Reply With Quote