Vampire Weekend - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
brobb

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Vampire Weekend

Just noticed this band didn't have a thread yet. Definitely a great up and coming band. Thought I'd get some discussion going with the new album, Contra, only a week away. I've listened to the songs on their myspace and I like it but it comes off a little "softer", but it'll take some more listens to get a better opinion on it. Anyway, check it out. There's gotta be some fans on here.

myspace.com/vampireweekend

Sometimes I walk there
Sometimes, God knows, I take a bus there
brobb is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
    thestand
    Best Ever

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Vampire Weekend

Check the "Album of the Day" thread for discussion on the album. Don't mean this is a dickish way, but they're certainly not an "up and coming" band, either on this forum or in the indie rock scene. But yeah, there are fans here, and we've been discussing the album since it came out in that thread.
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
    npl1128

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

^yurp

and so eventually everything marvelous
    npl1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
    brobb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    Check the "Album of the Day" thread for discussion on the album. Don't mean this is a dickish way, but they're certainly not an "up and coming" band, either on this forum or in the indie rock scene. But yeah, there are fans here, and we've been discussing the album since it came out in that thread.
    Nice. I figured I'd just get all band talk in one thread. And I know they're not necessarily "up and coming", I've been following them since late '07, but for just releasing their sophomore effort, I think the band is relatively new and has plenty of room to grow.

Sometimes I walk there
    Sometimes, God knows, I take a bus there
    brobb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 05:15 AM   #5
    Beefsteak1138

My Tour Central Stats

Can't wait for the new album.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
    Carbon Copy
    Can you still have fun?

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brobb View Post
    Just noticed this band didn't have a thread yet. Definitely a great up and coming band. Thought I'd get some discussion going with the new album, Contra, only a week away. I've listened to the songs on their myspace and I like it but it comes off a little "softer", but it'll take some more listens to get a better opinion on it. Anyway, check it out. There's gotta be some fans on here.

myspace.com/vampireweekend
    Not to be a Dbag, but they are not up and coming. They played main stage in front of like 40,000 people at lollapalooza this year.
    Carbon Copy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
    thom hudson
    Cold Noses

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I think ur a cuntra
    thom hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
    JRod1229
    GATA!

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Who gives a fuck about an oxford comma?

Quote:
    There ain't nothing like being a bulldog on a Saturday Night... after winning a football game. I mean like whipping Tennessee's ass to start with, then ten more, then another one. This is the Game Plan. We have no alternative plan.
    - The legendary Erk Russell
    JRod1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
    jdbartender

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I honestly can't get into them.. Although they are kind of original in the own right – they have this poppy, emo influenced feel to their music... It is semi creative stuff, but its borderline cheesy to me... It’s almost a poor man’s version of early KOL..

Plus my wife watches Beverly Hills 90210, and I walked in just as the kids on that show were going to a VW concert - it kind of ruined them for me – as dumb as that might sound.

I like bands that make a serious effort to step outside the box, as long as they maintain the roots of rock n roll in their sound… From the VW I have heard, they are too far away from traditional rock for me…

I have been really trying to get into Animal Collective as of recently, but I can’t decide it if is genius or just noise…. Right now I am leaning towards, “its just noise” but hey – I didn’t get MMJ at first, and now they are my favorite band.

Honestly – as good as MMJ is – it is going to be real tough for me to find a relatively new band that I like nearly as much. They are just SO much better then just about everything that is out right now - its disgusting.
    8/23/00 -7/30/01 - 7/28/02 - 7/29/02 - 12/17/02 - 8/27/03 - 8/28/03 - 8/30/03 -8/31/03 - 12/17/03 - 7/2/04 - 7/3/04 - 9/4/04- 09/5/04 - 7/30/05 -7/31/05 - 12/9/05 - 12/10/05 - 9/22/06 - 9/23/06 - 11/13/07 - 8/30/08 - 8/31/08 - 5/30/09 - 6/12/15 - 6/11/16 - 6/23/18
    jdbartender is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    Can't wait for the new album.
    leaked FTW.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
    bigeyedfish190

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdbartender View Post
    I honestly can't get into them.. Although they are kind of original in the own right – they have this poppy, emo influenced feel to their music... It is semi creative stuff, but its borderline cheesy to me... It’s almost a poor man’s version of early KOL..
    Honestly, from the bolded, I wonder if you're thinking of Vampire Weekend. Maybe it's just me, but I don't hear emo or KOL in them at all.

I was pretty excited for contra, but no one seems to be loving it, since it leaked. (I haven't heard it yet.) We'll see once I hear it.
    Oh, and also I'm glad you're not in Flint. Your life expectancy is inversely proportional to the amount of time you spend there.
    bigeyedfish190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #12
    ComeNFrmTheCold
    Part XV: Celebrate!

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thom hudson View Post
    I think ur a cuntra
    underrated post.
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
    jdbartender

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedfish190 View Post
    Honestly, from the bolded, I wonder if you're thinking of Vampire Weekend. Maybe it's just me, but I don't hear emo or KOL in them at all.

I was pretty excited for contra, but no one seems to be loving it, since it leaked. (I haven't heard it yet.) We'll see once I hear it.
    I guess I am just having trouble describing what I hear.... I think it is the lead singer’s voice that kind of reminds of Caleb Followill from KOL... I hear it in songs like M79 - the chorus - "so go I know, you would not stay- it wasn't true but anyway." The voice in some ways is similar to Calebs - but not nearly as strong..

As far as the emo comparisons... It's not the music that reminds me of emo, it more the light poppy melodies - with no real rock edge... Its all just too fluffy for me… Kind of like emo light IMO… I don't know if that makes any more sense.
    8/23/00 -7/30/01 - 7/28/02 - 7/29/02 - 12/17/02 - 8/27/03 - 8/28/03 - 8/30/03 -8/31/03 - 12/17/03 - 7/2/04 - 7/3/04 - 9/4/04- 09/5/04 - 7/30/05 -7/31/05 - 12/9/05 - 12/10/05 - 9/22/06 - 9/23/06 - 11/13/07 - 8/30/08 - 8/31/08 - 5/30/09 - 6/12/15 - 6/11/16 - 6/23/18

Last edited by jdbartender; 01-05-2010 at 07:24 AM.
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I like the new Album, better than the first in my opinion.
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
    william.hosking

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess I am just having trouble describing what I hear.... I think it is the lead singer’s voice that kind of reminds of Caleb Followill from KOL... I hear it in songs like M79 - the chorus - "so go I know, you would not stay- it wasn't true but anyway." The voice in some ways is similar to Calebs - but not nearly as strong..

As far as the emo comparisons... It's not the music that reminds me of emo, it more the light poppy melodies - with no real rock edge... Its all just too fluffy for me… Kind of like emo light IMO… I don't know if that makes any more sense.
    Not every band is going to be as edgy and rock as hard as Creed. There are going to be some bands that play a lighter tone of music, and Vampire Weekend happens to be one of those bands. Also, "emo" is waaaaay off when describing them. I would say there's not one thing that's "emo" about them.

I really dig these guys and have been waiting patiently for Contra. I may have to look into this "leaking" of the album. Hmmm...

Twitter
    Facebook
    william.hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #16
    Drewda

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Vampire Weekend is awesome. Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa

Drewda is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #17
    JRod1229
    GATA!

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by william.hosking View Post
    Not every band is going to be as edgy and rock as hard as Creed. There are going to be some bands that play a lighter tone of music, and Vampire Weekend happens to be one of those bands. Also, "emo" is waaaaay off when describing them. I would say there's not one thing that's "emo" about them.

I really dig these guys and have been waiting patiently for Contra. I may have to look into this "leaking" of the album. Hmmm...
    Bold 1:
    Bold 2:

They're preppy guys who play a different sound.. no they aren't hard rockers, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for them either.

Quote:
    There ain't nothing like being a bulldog on a Saturday Night... after winning a football game. I mean like whipping Tennessee's ass to start with, then ten more, then another one. This is the Game Plan. We have no alternative plan.
    - The legendary Erk Russell
    JRod1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #18
    thom hudson
    Cold Noses

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I'm really liking the new record...I was super skeptical at first, and upon first listen, it gave me a "meh" feeling (mainly because I was expecting something spectacular), but I cannot stop listening to it now.
    thom hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
    bigeyedfish190

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Alright, fair enough. I guess I just don't hear the emo stuff, but I could see Caleb singing that line.
    Oh, and also I'm glad you're not in Flint. Your life expectancy is inversely proportional to the amount of time you spend there.
    Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #20
    pats4life2003
    Big Gulps Huh?

My Tour Central Stats

probably my favorite band besides DMB
    I have loved these guys for a long time now

my friend is good friends with the band
    pats4life2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #21
    Carbon Copy
    Can you still have fun?

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I know a guy on the internet who's friend is good friends with the band.
    Carbon Copy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #22
    jdbartender

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by william.hosking View Post

I guess the "rock edge" part wasn't exactly what I meant...

I generally like music that is a little more "Rootsy." Music that is derived from the worlds of rock, blues, jazz, funk, hip hop, bluegrass and even country... Most of the music I like has evolved in one way or another from these genera's...

Vampire Weekend feels more pop to me then anything else… Its very light, and doesn’t have a great deal of soul… That is the same way I feel about mainstream emo of the 2000’s…. It is pop music disguised. Light, fluffy, and all on the surface… Emo is disgused as punk, but is really pop... VW is disguised as indie (I guess), but it is really pop... May not be a great comparison, but my feelings toward each are relatively the same.
    Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
    LadyMadonna68

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess the "rock edge" part wasn't exactly what I meant...

I generally like music that is a little more "Rootsy." Music that is derived from the worlds of rock, blues, jazz, funk, hip hop, bluegrass and even country... Most of the music I like has evolved in one way or another from these genera's...

Vampire Weekend feels more pop to me then anything else… Its very light, and doesn’t have a great deal of soul… That is the same way I feel about mainstream emo of the 2000’s…. It is pop music disguised. Light, fluffy, and all on the surface… Emo is disgused as punk, but is really pop... VW is disguised as indie (I guess), but it is really pop... May not be a great comparison, but my feelings toward each are relatively the same.
    Their music is derived from West Africa...pretty "rootsy" to me.
    LadyMadonna68 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
    LadyMadonna68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    I know a guy on the internet who's friend is good friends with the band.
    I know that guy's sister.
    Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #25
    LadyMadonna68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats4life2003 View Post
    probably my favorite band besides DMB
    I have loved these guys for a long time now

my friend is good friends with the band
    My thoughts exactly
    Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #26
    bigeyedfish190

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Yeah but it's not related to roots rock so much. I think everyone knows what he's getting at. I'm not sure why he's getting his balls busted this much.
    Old 01-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #27
    Beefsteak1138

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedfish190 View Post
    Yeah but it's not related to roots rock so much. I think everyone knows what he's getting at. I'm not sure why he's getting his balls busted this much.
    I actually have no idea what he's trying to say.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #28
    LadyMadonna68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #29
    bigeyedfish190

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fair enough. Continue.
    Old 01-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #30
    jdbartender

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Really... Guess I am just not up on the music from West Africa..

Eitherway, I am just not into it.. It all sounds rather souless to me, but hey, everyone has their own set of ears for a reason.

Last edited by jdbartender; 01-05-2010 at 11:05 AM.