The NHL Thread - Page 600 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #17971
DMBCubs25
Hockey is back!

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread

Clock will strike midnight on PHX season soon enough. They are not going to be able to score this series on this Kings team and don't have nearly the depth that LA has. Kings win Game 2 and it's a sweep.

DMBCubs25 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #17972
    ~Crashintome89~
    gregdog love in pa

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Don't be ridiculous. It takes four wins. As a Flyers fan, and I'm sure duncan can attest as a Bruins fan, the series isn't over yet until someone wins four games.
    Claude Giroux is a national treasure.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brohan Santana
    Can someone please tell me what a Gordie Howe Hat Trick is?
    ~Crashintome89~ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #17973
    Bron Yr Aur

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBCubs25 View Post
    Clock will strike midnight on PHX season soon enough. They are not going to be able to score this series on this Kings team and don't have nearly the depth that LA has. Kings win Game 2 and it's a sweep.
    For me it's not so much about depth as it is about talent. LA has Brown/Kopitar/Richards/Carter and their team plays defense. Phoenix really doesn't have anyone on that level aside from Doan.
    Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #17974
    bonzo48280
    Tramps Like Us...

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. It takes four wins. As a Flyers fan, and I'm sure duncan can attest as a Bruins fan, the series isn't over yet until someone wins four games.

this. Nashville plays great defense and has better depth and talent than Phoenix...where are they now?

-Packers suck, along with the Red Wings.
    -BRUUUUUUUUUUCE
    bonzo48280 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #17975
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Kings in 5
    Devils in 6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #17976
    thechad90000
    You're Goddamn Right

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonzo48280 View Post

this. Nashville plays great defense and has better depth and talent than Phoenix...where are they now?
    Don't make me cry.
    "Her one drink had Cecelia giggling and talking and she was explaining that animals had souls too. Nobody challenged her opinion. It was possible, we knew. What we weren't sure of was if we had any. - Charles Bukowski
    thechad90000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #17977
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

The worst thing for me is if the Kings win it all some people will say how horrible the Carter and Richards trades were, and honestly they weren't. I still stand by the Flyers were the winners in all their trades.

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #17978
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Late to the party but....
    Kings in 5
    NYR in 6
    swordo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #17979
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    The worst thing for me is if the Kings win it all some people will say how horrible the Carter and Richards trades were, and honestly they weren't. I still stand by the Flyers were the winners in all their trades.
    whatever gets you to sleep at night.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #17980
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just cause it worked for the Kings doesn't mean it would work for the Flyers. I mean there are other guys too. Dustin Brown and Quick have been two of their MVP's and those guys wouldn't be on the Flyers.

It goes back to some Pens arguments about Hossa and he should have stayed and not gone to Detroit. Had he not gone to Detroit Guerin wouldn't have been traded for, Fedotenko wouldn't have signed there and even Satan who scored a goal in the playoffs. Plus with Hossa maybe the Pens are just good enough and MT doesn't get fired. Also had Hossa not gone to Detroit, Detroit might not get there either. He saved them during the season and while he didn't score many goals that playoff he scored some big ones.

Quote:
    Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #17981
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    whatever gets you to sleep at night.
    Yea, you're an idiot (I kid, but really I hate you) I am not trying to saying that this justifies the season at all or helps explain why the Flyers are not in the playoffs anymore. See below for my explanation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    Just cause it worked for the Kings doesn't mean it would work for the Flyers. I mean there are other guys too. It goes back to some Pens arguments about Hossa and he should have stayed and not gone to Detroit. Had he not gone to Detroit Guerin wouldn't have been traded for Fedotenko wouldn't have signed there and even Satan scored a goal in the playoffs. Plus with Hossa maybe the Pens are just good enough and MT doesn't get fired. Also had Hossa not gone to Detroit, Detroit might not get there either. He saved them during the season and while he didn't score many goals that playoff he scored some big ones.
    It worked for everyone but Columbus (man does that franchise suck). I am mainly talking about the media pundits down in Philadelphia. The last thing I want to hear are people questioning Holgrem's trades (question the Bryz signing if you need to bitch). I like the trades and think it was the right move for the team. It will be interesting to see how the young players do next year. Also, wonder how different that team would have been if Pronger didn't go down.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #17982
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yea, you're an idiot (I kid, but really I hate you) I am not trying to saying that this justifies the season at all or helps explain why the Flyers are not in the playoffs anymore. See below for my explanation.

It worked for everyone but Columbus (man does that franchise suck). I am mainly talking about the media pundits down in Philadelphia. The last thing I want to hear are people questioning Holgrem's trades (question the Bryz signing if you need to bitch). I like the trades and think it was the right move for the team. It will be interesting to see how the young players do next year. Also, wonder how different that team would have been if Pronger didn't go down.
    I know
    Old 05-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #17983
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur View Post
    For me it's not so much about depth as it is about talent. LA has Brown/Kopitar/Richards/Carter and their team plays defense. Phoenix really doesn't have anyone on that level aside from Doan.
    This post makes 0 sense.

Both teams Phoenix has faced were more "talented" than they are, yet where are they now?
    Old 05-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #17984
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just cause it worked for the Kings doesn't mean it would work for the Flyers. I mean there are other guys too. Dustin Brown and Quick have been two of their MVP's and those guys wouldn't be on the Flyers.

It goes back to some Pens arguments about Hossa and he should have stayed and not gone to Detroit. Had he not gone to Detroit Guerin wouldn't have been traded for, Fedotenko wouldn't have signed there and even Satan who scored a goal in the playoffs. Plus with Hossa maybe the Pens are just good enough and MT doesn't get fired. Also had Hossa not gone to Detroit, Detroit might not get there either. He saved them during the season and while he didn't score many goals that playoff he scored some big ones.
    I agree and disagree.

Agree to paragraph 2 about Hossa, not sure I agree about the Flyers deal. You can't tell me that Claude Giroux isn't capable of doing what Dustin Brown has done, and Bryz "should" be able to steal a couple games (maybe not like Quick has, but still he should be better than he was).

Simmonds was clearly a great pickup for them during the season, and had a career year, but 1 goal was not enough during the postseason (and that's a postseason where he was in a series that was just handing out goals to everyone that put their blades on the ice...I'm pretty sure Danny Markov was even credited with a goal...)

I don't know where I'm going with this, but I don't necessarily think it's something that can just be dismissed. It's worth debating and thinking about, as to where the Flyers would be if they kept Richards. I mean, say what you want about Mike, but the guy usually comes to play during the playoffs. He has two VERY good postseasons under his belt, and is in the process of a third.

Quote:

I think time will tell.

As I said in response to Tim, it's definitely worth thinking about. I don't think you can say one way or the other who "won" yet. But I mean, it'll be hard to say the Flyers weren't "losers" of the trades if the Kings manage to win the SCF with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.

I mean, I know Schenn and Simmonds seemed to work out pretty damn well, and Voracek was a decent add on for you guys as well...but it's just hard not to look at that as a short term failure if the Kings could win with them but the Flyers couldn't.

Now, with Schenn still being so young, this deal obviously will need to withstand the test of time, and the Flyers had a good season overall considering they completely gutted the team, lost Pronger, etc. etc., but's it's just hard to ignore the Kings success right now.

Then again, they haven't won anything yet, so we'll see. I'm just thinking out loud right now.
    Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #17985
    Bron Yr Aur

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    This post makes 0 sense.

Both teams Phoenix has faced were more "talented" than they are, yet where are they now?
    Offensively Phoenix & Nashville were probably equal on talent/depth. Edge to Nashville but that went away when Kostitsyn & Radulov got themselves benched.

No doubt Hawks had more talent, but also had no goaltending and were terrible defensively.

Kings are responsible defensively (so was Nashville), great goaltending (so did Nash), but also they have legit scorers, much better than Nashville's.
    Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #17986
    kev87lads
    HipHah

Shows Seen: 83

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Also late to the party but agreed....

Kings in 5.

Rangers in 7.

Also. It will be a bit painful to see Carter and Richards with a Cup if it gets that far. Especially after just one season removed from the orange and black. I agree though, Holmgren did what he thought he needed to do to shake the team up and it worked for the most part. This team collapsed in the playoffs against a certain opponent just like the Richards and Carter team did last season.
    Kev the real MVP here.
    MSG made it 83!
    kev87lads is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #17987
    thechad90000
    You're Goddamn Right

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur View Post
    Offensively Phoenix & Nashville were probably equal on talent/depth. Edge to Nashville but that went away when Kostitsyn & Radulov got themselves benched.

No doubt Hawks had more talent, but also had no goaltending and were terrible defensively.

Kings are responsible defensively (so was Nashville), great goaltending (so did Nash), but also they have legit scorers, much better than Nashville's.
    Agreed. Our lack of a great scorer really cost us again and when we did have scorers out there, our defense really suffered as a result of their laziness. Not to mention flat play by Rinne in 3 of the 5 games of that series.
    "Her one drink had Cecelia giggling and talking and she was explaining that animals had souls too. Nobody challenged her opinion. It was possible, we knew. What we weren't sure of was if we had any. - Charles Bukowski
    Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #17988
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Late to the weekend discussion, as usual. But after watching the Rangers/Caps game I just had to weigh in one final thing.

I tried, Ovi, I really tried:

Quote:
    Like I said in my original post, we're seeing a major change under Hunter. Ovechkin SEEMS to be buying into it. We'll see if it's not just a flash in the pan. I hope not, because I would really like to like the guy.
    But when you go pulling crap like this, how the HELL do you expect me to even consider respecting you like I respect the other greats in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8hPYxPuw0U

No problem with you getting hit. People get hit. But then you lay around on the ice watching for a few seconds, slowly get up, and saunter on over to the bench as you watch the play develop at the other end. Seriously? Even if you are going to change, hussle your ass to the bench so someone who CARES about what's happening can get on to the ice. That is not a hockey attitude - that is pure laziness. Extremely disappointing.
    Anyone that disagrees with Matty is wrong and should go fuck themselves.
    fonzz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #17989
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

Yea, I can only hope his teammates or Hunter tore into after that

Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #17990
    thechad90000
    You're Goddamn Right

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Late to the weekend discussion, as usual. But after watching the Rangers/Caps game I just had to weigh in one final thing.

But when you go pulling crap like this, how the HELL do you expect me to even consider respecting you like I respect the other greats in the game?

No problem with you getting hit. People get hit. But then you lay around on the ice watching for a few seconds, slowly get up, and saunter on over to the bench as you watch the play develop at the other end. Seriously? Even if you are going to change, hussle your ass to the bench so someone who CARES about what's happening can get on to the ice. That is not a hockey attitude - that is pure laziness. Extremely disappointing.
    Wow I didn't get to watch this game because I was out of town but that's just ridiculously lazy.
    Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #17991
    DMBCubs25
    Hockey is back!

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Fact of the matter is Hawks had more talent but had no goaltending, defense, or a competent coaching staff which did them in. Nashville isn't anything special on offense which ended up costing them. LA has got it rolling right now in every aspect of the game. PHX plays not to lose so if LA's offense just keeps attacking them all night with that forecheck like they did last night then PHX is not going to last long, and rightfully so I am getting sick of watching Mike Smith flop around game after game, guy is a complete douche.

DMBCubs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #17992
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Some will call me nit-picky for pointing out something like that, but on the contrary I think it's a huge indicator of his overall attitude. Seven years in the NHL and nothing to show for it in terms of team success.
    Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #17993
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I thought the EXACT same thing while watching it live. How are you just dogging it like that while all 9 other players on the ice are going 100%? It's the fuckin' playoffs.
    Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #17994
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    I thought the EXACT same thing while watching it live. How are you just dogging it like that while all 9 other players on the ice are going 100%? It's the fuckin' playoffs.
    I barely even paid attention to the goal because I was like, "what the hell is he still doing on the ice?!" I was watching him the whole time, completely shocked (but not really, because it's Ovechkin).
    Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #17995
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yea, I can only hope his teammates or Hunter tore into after that
    Right as he was heading out the door:

https://twitter.com/#!/JoeYerdonPHT/...67778830737408

Quote:
    Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #17996
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Came in here to post this. WTF?
    ~Stephen 7.21.02, 9.11.03, 12.12.03, 7.10.04, 10.1.04, 6.25.05, 7.1.06, 7.2.06, 6.10.08, 6.27.08, 6.19.09, 6.26.10, 7.10.10, 6.3.12, 7.6.12, 7.7.12, 7.13.12, 7.14.12, 6.28.13, 6.29.13, 6.27.14, 6.28.14, 6.6.15

wampa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #17997
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow. A little bit surprised.

But not too much. Coming into the Washington situation was not great for him. The type of players they have don't fit his type of system. HOWEVER, he did a pretty admirable job taking their sinking ship and leading it into the playoffs. If anything, this was a great showcase to other teams of what he can do. He's proven to everyone (including himself) that he can coach at this level. Teams like Calgary will kick his tires this off season.

Last edited by fonzz41; 05-14-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #17998
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

shocked over here.
    Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #17999
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    shocked over here.
    Same here. Maybe he was never meant to be anything more than interim. But he did do a hell of a job righting that ship and getting that team to play solid hockey, losing by only one goal in Game 7 to the leaders in the East. Can't expect everyone to do what Bylsma did, right?!
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #18000
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow. A little bit surprised.

But not too much. Coming into the Washington situation was not great for him. The type of players they have don't fit his type of system. HOWEVER, he did a pretty admirable job taking their sinking ship and leading it into the playoffs. If anything, this was a great showcase to other teams of what he can do. He's proven to everyone (including himself) that he can coach at this level. Teams like Calgary will kick his tires this off season.
    Yeah I'm not totally surprised. It sounded like at the time he was promoted that he didn't really want it.

He did do a pretty good job. That team was in such disarray all year and they way they played most of the year should have lost in 5 games to the Bruins. But they beat them and probably should have beaten the Rangers honestly. Game 5 was theirs. I think he stays in London for next year but we'll see.

Quote:

Tags
    #brohan1519