** College Football Season ** - Page 3828 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #114811
recentlyJTR41
Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: College Football Season

And I'm all for power 5 teams playing an FCS opponent. 1. If CFB makes you play 12 games with one off week you deserve an "off week" with an FCS team to rest your starters for a half. If not cut the season down the 11 games. 2. Gives you the opportunity to play youngers kids. 3. Give a fat check to a small program to keep football afloat (ie UAB) Hell, they might even beat you (Kansas State and Michigan).

And that mandated Power 5 scheduled game would more than likely off set that FCS game.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #114812
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

If you think that is a decent OOC schedule you shouldn't be mad when people question if your mom and dad are also brother & sister. Even if VTech was good as they are (as mentioned in my Ohio State comment), that's three awful games, where the underdog has maybe a 1% chance of winning. At least playing a Oregon State, an Indiana, a North Carolina, the underdog will have a 20 - 30% chance of winning. If all you want to do is play games against over matched opponents, stick to video games.

EDIT: Some conferences aren't even switching to 9 game conference seasons - 9 game conference seasons alone will help with schedules.

Last edited by Lee3691; 06-22-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #114813
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

CFB is quite happy with the neutral site opening games, it's called $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Everyone wants a home and home, however, the nature of CFB has moved to the marque neutral site opening game.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #114814
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    If you think that is a decent OOC schedule you shouldn't be mad when people question if your mom and dad are also brother & sister. Even if VTech was good as they are (as mentioned in my Ohio State comment), that's three awful games, where the underdog has maybe a 1% chance of winning. At least playing a Oregon State, an Indiana, a North Carolina, the underdog will have a 20 - 30% chance of winning. If all you want to do is play games against over matched opponents, stick to video games.

EDIT: Some conferences aren't even switching to 9 game conference seasons - 9 game conference seasons alone will help with schedules.
    I don't agree with playing nothing but Power 5 so that doesn't really matter. The idea is not to play over matched opponents. Just teams outside the conference. When you're in th SEC (especially the West) Oregon State before going to Arkansas looks pretty damn tough. Yeah that's where this argument will always lead

What if Marshal is on your OOC schedule and they have a seaosn like last year? They can be either really good or suck. That's the problem with not being able to predict the future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    CFB is quite happy with the neutral site opening games, it's called $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Everyone wants a home and home, however, the nature of CFB has moved to the marque neutral site opening game.
    True. Doesn't mean it's not weak as shit though. Auburn @ Clemson might be a tougher game than Alabama vs FSU at a neutral site in 2017 when it comes to selecting the playoffs.
    Old 06-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #114815
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I'm personally all for playing FCS teams. It's good for college football to give the underdog a chance, and plus in the SEC you need these weeks off if you are going to survive the gauntlet. Teams outside the SEC probably have to schedule tougher out of conference to make up for their schedule in conference imo. But now the Big 10 is coming back which is great for college football. Let's just hope they don't beat each other up.

I think that these great OOC matchups between Power 5 schools are great for college football though. I can see it either way.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #114816
    emu513

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

B1G is going to be atrocious next year. You'll have OSU and I guess MSU then a huge drop off to a bunch of teams that will have 8 or so wins because someone has to win that many games.
    Old 06-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #114817
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Maybe, maybe not - doesn't change my view on the matter. Our OOC wasn't strong last year, but in fairness, when VTech was scheduled, they were a perennial top 10 team and Cincy had some success. I'm not saying all OOC should be against the Alabamas and the USCs of the world, but only one Central Tennesee Tech type of school should be allowed.
    Cincy is a perfect team for what team's in the power 5 conf should be scheduling. And again VT in my opinion is starting to be that tier 1.5 school. They could be top 10 some years but there's also a chance they could be outta the top 50.

Just think about Minnesota, perfect example of tier 2-3... TCU scheduled them and that's nothing to get overly excited about but Minnesota ended up exceeding expectations so that turned into a good W. It was also a game the committee compared to Ohio State's performance vs Minn.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emu513 View Post
    Agree. This is probably the best formula to get into the playoffs. Shows a non-Baylor-like OOC schedule and mitigates risk in playing a top 10 or so team.

As much as I'd like to see phenomenal OOC games, not every team is going to be able to schedule a tier 1 program OOC every year. There really just aren't as many of those games to go around and many programs do not sustain their tier 1 status every year. This is a solid compromise... just literally schedule games against teams OOC that people have heard of and you won't hear much shit about scheduling patsies.
    For those teams in the #6-15 range of the preseason rankings it makes perfect sense. They keep winning, they keep moving up as long as they are playing quality opponents.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    What I think a OOC schedule should look like for an SEC team that doesn't have a permanent rival in a power 5 (UGA, Florida, USC, Vanderbilt)....Lets use Ole Miss as an example

- Ball State
    - Nevada
    - @Virgina Tech
    - Jacksonvile State (HC)

That's a decent OOC schedule for an SEC West team that usually has to play at least 2-3 top 10 teams a year. Get a cupcake for HC and two smaller conf. games and then a power 5 team.

For every power 5 it should 2-3 lower conference teams and the 1 power 5 conf teams. Doesn't matter who you can't predict the future but at least try. Home/away obviously. Speaking of the selection committee I do think they should take into consideration if you're playing at a neutral site. Wisconsin beating Bama this year would be impressive but that's like a bowl game there in Dallas. Beating them in Tuscaloosa would be more impressive imo. I may be in the minority but I think CFB would rather see these big schools play at their own stadiums so they can finally have that whole "Well we came down there and whooped yall!" arguments ya know? Reminds me of Bama/Michigan a few years ago when Bama beat the dog shit out of UM. Had it been in Ann Arbor they may have only won by 4 TD's instead of 5.

SEC is a different beast IMO. You are pretty much guaranteed to play 2-3 highly ranked to pretty highly ranked teams each season. With maybe another top 25 thrown in there. The FCS match ups is fine to me because with the SEC the SOS discussion will usually favor them regardless of the non conf schedule when comparing teams head-to-head. If they at least put a little effort into making their OOC somewhat respectable I'm fine with it. The other Power 5's need to schedule those more difficult OOC games in order to get their schedule as a whole on par with the SEC teams. That's the difference.
    Old 06-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #114818
    bamadavefan15

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    I'm personally all for playing FCS teams. It's good for college football to give the underdog a chance, and plus in the SEC you need these weeks off if you are going to survive the gauntlet. Teams outside the SEC probably have to schedule tougher out of conference to make up for their schedule in conference imo. But now the Big 10 is coming back which is great for college football. Let's just hope they don't beat each other up.

I think that these great OOC matchups between Power 5 schools are great for college football though. I can see it either way.
    bamadavefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #114819
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    SEC is a different beast IMO.

I wonder if the SEC's arms ever get sore from beating it's chest?

The SEC needs to nut up, go to 9 conference games (since we have to appease Alabama/Tennessee/Auburn/UGA with the permanent cross division games) and still require 1 power 5 OOC game. Then they can keep the FCS games that do help the local schools fund their athletic departments and give the SEC schools a practical bye week
    Old 06-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #114820
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mposey34 View Post

The SEC needs to nut up, go to 9 conference games (since we have to appease Alabama/Tennessee/Auburn/UGA with the permanent cross division games) and still require 1 power 5 OOC game. Then they can keep the FCS games that do help the local schools fund their athletic departments and give the SEC schools a practical bye week
    The thing is if you look at the schedules for any SEC school they are perfectly fine schedules top to bottom. All better then the majority of other power 5 teams schedules. And if you're the SEC teams why add another potential loss to your schedule because if you lose 2 games you're most likely just not going to have enough wins to get up into the top 4.

It's really the other Power 5's schools that need to schedule heavy enough to make their schedules on the same level as the SEC schools if they want to have a fighting chance when being compared to a same loss SEC school come selection time.
    Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #114821
    Absolute34
    Phone Went West

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This is exactly why we should keep at least one local FCS game on the schedule. More than two is just overkill and makes for less competitive games. But yeah, every division in football should play the exact number of conference games and the exact number of FCS games.
    Absolute34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #114822
    emu513

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Yea I don't have a problem with playing an in-state FCS or non-power 5 team. That's a boon to that program's athletic department. Just don't load up on those teams.
    Old 06-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #114823
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Golden Nugget released spreads for all games in college football this season, and just 4 teams are favored in all their games: Ohio State (favored 14+ in all games), TCU, Clemson and Boise State.
    Old 06-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #114824
    bamadavefan15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Eh. Most SEC conference schedules are fine. A few teams schedule terrible OOC and have weaker permanent cross division rivals, but most of those teams are non contenders.

Miss State's OOC and east opponents are terrible, but even they have a decent schedule given playing the entire west.
    Old 06-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #114825
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Golden Nugget released spreads for all games in college football this season, and just 4 teams are favored in all their games: Ohio State (favored 14+ in all games), TCU, Clemson and Boise State.
    Alabama at UGA is Pickem.

interesting....
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #114826
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13180442

I've heard better interviews out of corpses during an autopsy.
    Old 07-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #114827
    SeekUpSaratoga

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13180442

I've heard better interviews out of corpses during an autopsy.
    Was listening to this live at work this morning. Could not believe how terrible it was going. Glad Cowherd finally was like, "I like you but this is awful" and cut it off.
    Old 07-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #114828
    jrod41
    Rowsdower saves us

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

"I'm a 4'3" wide receiver, why should I play at Michigan?"

"You are?"

jrod41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #114829
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrod41 View Post
    "I'm a 4'3" wide receiver, why should I play at Michigan?"

"You are?"

He meant 4.3, as in 4.3 second 40.
    Old 07-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #114830
    jrod41
    Rowsdower saves us

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He meant 4.3, as in 4.3 second 40.
    ah well I'm dumb.

regardless though, the tone/response from Harbaugh was still funny as hell.
    jrod41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #114831
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

De'Andre Johnson is a jerk, and not saying he shouldn't be kicked off the team, but how is he being charged and not the young lady who seemed to instigate it?
    Old 07-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #114832
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    De'Andre Johnson is a jerk, and not saying he shouldn't be kicked off the team, but how is he being charged and not the young lady who seemed to instigate it?
    I mean, he put his elbow in her back, forcibly moved her aside, then grabbed her arm. She didn't knee him or throw a punch until all that happened. And then he went Deebo on her.
    Old 07-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #114833
    Absolute34
    Phone Went West

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Seriously dude?
    Absolute34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #114834
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    my friend and I were talking about this today.

What would happen to her if she was, say, star of fsu's volleyball team?
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #114835
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Apparently she said a "racial slur" lol of course....

He'll play with someone in 2016
    Old 07-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #114836
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I mean, he put his elbow in her back, forcibly moved her aside, then grabbed her arm. She didn't knee him or throw a punch until all that happened. And then he went Deebo on her.
    That happens in every bar though. I think the kneeing and her punch took it to the next level. Again, I'm not saying this is a great guy or even that FSU should keep him, I just don't get how he is going to be criminally charged.
    Old 07-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #114837
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

He should be charged, but she should be charged too. She threw the first punch.

If men aren't allowed to hit women back, women need to actually get in trouble when they throw punches at men.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 07-07-2015 at 07:41 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #114838
    bamadavefan15

My Tour Central Stats

Knew FSU would have no trouble kicking him off. Francois is the freshman they like.
    Old 07-08-2015, 05:34 AM   #114839
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    Apparently she said a "racial slur" lol of course....

He'll play with someone in 2016
    My bet's on Bama or Auburn
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2015, 05:40 AM   #114840
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Has dude been signed by Auburn or Georgia yet?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    football , ncaa