2017 Dave & Tim Summer Tour - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #91
stlbluespower
DMB 2012

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2017 Dave & Tim Summer Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb41er View Post
I agree that Carter looked exhausted this summer, but I don't think he is the reason for a full year off. If we are just going off stage presence from recent tours, I would place my bet on our resident trumpet player.
I would find it hard to believe that Rashawn alone could be the reason for the break. Though I like him, his absence would hardly be noticeable (or very noticeable in a good way for quite a few).
stlbluespower is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #92
    thegalligan2243

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaxonBartender View Post
    Hey is it pretty much a safe assumption to make that after the east coast shows "sell-out" or hopefully to almost capacity that they're going to announce some shows west of the Mississippi? It seems kind of obvious that they aren't going to leave the west coasters out? Colorado seems like an obvious choice for a nice two night stand. Which leaves us with either two nights at Red Rocks with 9000 capacity or two nights at Fiddler's with 17000 capacity. I'm gonna renew my warehouse membership if they announce any west coast dates. Only getting to see Dave solo at a political rally in October, while as great as it was, was just not enough. Anyone else think a small break after the east coast shows and then they'll be headed out west?
    A few people in the 2017 Rumors thread are saying wait a little while and they will announce west coast shows including:

Red Rocks
    Vegas
    Santa Barbara
    Bend
    Seattle

fingers crossed
    thegalligan2243 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #93
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thegalligan2243 View Post
    A few people in the 2017 Rumors thread are saying wait a little while and they will announce west coast shows including:

Red Rocks
    Vegas
    Santa Barbara
    Bend
    Seattle

fingers crossed
    This would give me a second option and reason, besides Radiohead playing in Portland, to make it over to Oregon in the foreseeable future. God, I hope there's substance to this rumor!
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #94
    thegalligan2243

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stlbluespower View Post
    I would find it hard to believe that Rashawn alone could be the reason for the break. Though I like him, his absence would hardly be noticeable (or very noticeable in a good way for quite a few).
    I like Rashawn, I have nothing against him. If he chose not to tour with the band again, I would not mind either
    thegalligan2243 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #95
    wingz0923

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Has anyone seen anything about a Citi Pre-Sale?
    Old 01-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #96
    Totin8298

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

West coasters be patient. I would be very surprised if they didn't release more dates and play west coast.
    Totin8298 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #97
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wingz0923 View Post
    Has anyone seen anything about a Citi Pre-Sale?
    Most shows are up on TM now (don't see ATL ), none show a CITI pre-sale, yet
    Old 01-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #98
    uctbcats21

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Meh. This tour announcement bummed me out to be honest, I wanted Dave (and the rest of the band) to take the full summer off to recharge and get a love of touring/playing live again. If Dave was going to in fact tour this summer, I was hoping it would be for a solo album tour promotion and at tiny venues...
    uctbcats21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #99
    laverwater

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    This would give me a second option and reason, besides Radiohead playing in Portland, to make it over to Oregon in the foreseeable future. God, I hope there's substance to this rumor!
    Out of the reasonable outdoor venues I've seen in the Pacific NW (I've been to most), Bend makes the most sense. The vibe of a D&T show would go very well with that laid back venue/town. In mid-July it doesn't get dark there until 9:30 or so, and the venue has a 10PM curfew. Seems like a perfect fit, but I'll prob only go if it's two nights, as it's not an easy drive.
    laverwater is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #100
    excitingjae

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    No bad seat in the house? And is the terrace seating still pretty good sightlines and all that? I don't mind that it's outside as long as still good sound and sight.
    there are no bad seat locations in the house sights/sound wise. if you end up on the top of the lawn you're going to be looking at screens. Although is there much to look at at D&T if you're not a close distance from the stage? I've never been so I doubt there is going to be anything in terms of a light show.
    Old 01-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #101
    GO BLUE

My Tour Central Stats

Looking forward to spending a nice Summer evening out at Pine Knob (DTE), with D&T.
    GO BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #102
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb41er View Post
    I agree that Carter looked exhausted this summer, but I don't think he is the reason for a full year off. If we are just going off stage presence from recent tours, I would place my bet on our resident trumpet player.

nah
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #103
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uctbcats21 View Post
    Meh. This tour announcement bummed me out to be honest, I wanted Dave (and the rest of the band) to take the full summer off to recharge and get a love of touring/playing live again. If Dave was going to in fact tour this summer, I was hoping it would be for a solo album tour promotion and at tiny venues...
    Dave has an estimated net worth of $250 million and he clearly has other hobbies outside of music (wine, acting, etc...), and he still chose to tour this summer. I don't think he needs to find his "love of touring/playing live again". To the contrary, I think touring this summer already shows it.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #104
    mmish84

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pigsmarching8 View Post
    Dave obviously didn't
    Tim obviously didnt
    Boyd seems really busy with CG
    Stefan had the twitter comment
    Carter....no one has heard much from him
    What was Stefan's twitter comment? I tried looking in the thread but it was just political arguing.
    mmish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #105
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I assume it is much much easier to do a D&T tour than a DMB tour. Less practicing, less logistics, less crew, less everything. I wouldn't view the break and this tour as any correlation other than Dave wanted to do this because there is a break. Dave actually may have wanted to not tour with the band this summer (so agreed with the group decision) and wanted to do this. Not sure why those are mutually exclusive. People read a bit too much into things (imo).

I'll do what I've done for the last few tours and skip on sale and see how the tour looks. If it looks good I'll get a ticket on the boards or craigslist. Been able to get face or below face, and for this tour I bet below face won't be hard.
    Old 01-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #106
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

My Tour Central Stats

Also, agree, this should be a theater tour not an outdoor venue tour. I don't care if they can make it sound "loud" outside, it won't sound as good as a theater. If demand is an issue play multiple nights in big cities (D&T is generally has lots of repeats, so won't be many people going multiple times) or charge higher rates for orchestra.
    Old 01-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #107
    excitingjae

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harryhoudini View Post
    Also, agree, this should be a theater tour not an outdoor venue tour. I don't care if they can make it sound "loud" outside, it won't sound as good as a theater. If demand is an issue play multiple nights in big cities (D&T is generally has lots of repeats, so won't be many people going multiple times) or charge higher rates for orchestra.
    You might see a couple of songs repeated in a two night stand. Last time they played two nights in a row at one place (2015 in OaklandCA and also 2016 Bridge School) there were no repeats.

Last edited by excitingjae; 01-19-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    excitingjae is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2017, 07:25 AM   #108
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by excitingjae View Post
    You might see a couple of songs repeated in a two night stand. Last time they played two nights in a row at one place (2015 in OaklandCA and also 2016 Bridge School) there were no repeats.
    Fair point, maybe it wouldn't help with demand.

Either way, these shows belong in a theater imo. Its the right way to see an acoustic show.
    Old 01-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #109
    excitingjae

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harryhoudini View Post
    Fair point, maybe it wouldn't help with demand.

Either way, these shows belong in a theater imo. Its the right way to see an acoustic show.
    I agree but using Philly as an example (since that's the area I'm from) they could play the Tower Theater (3,064 seat capacity), Verizon Hall (2,500), Academy of Music (2,509) as well as many other venues but I've just listed the smaller ones with seating. These are WELL below the capacity at The Mann. Even a place like Radio City Music hall can hold 6,000. So Philly's theaters are small.

IF they did play one of the Philly theaters I'd imagine the tickets would be a whole lot more. And maybe that conversation was had and even though they would have no problem selling out they probably wanted to maximize the number of fans at these shows since there is no DMB tour.
    Old 01-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #110
    poshsta420

Shows Seen: 532

DMB Hub Stubs: 40

My Tour Central Stats

I am very curious to see how Mexico plays out since it is a 3 night show. I expect a few repeats for sure but I feel they are going to bust out a lot of new tunes in their catalog. Dave and Tim play close to 20-25 songs per gig so three shows gives a lot of good possibilties. With such a large tour I feel they will play a lot of tunes
    poshsta420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #111
    axelrod

My Tour Central Stats

I am going to say Zero repeats in Mexico....
    axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #112
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.relix.com/blogs/detail/a...year_off_thing
    Old 01-21-2017, 04:33 AM   #113
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan4ever View Post
    "to the weary bones of the DMB bandleader" Guess Dave's officially over the proverbial hill.

Is Rob Slater on Ants? That last paragraph/sentence needs a little work, dude.
    Old 01-21-2017, 04:53 AM   #114
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

I'm hearing comments about how amphitheaters will suck for this tour. For those making that point, are you considering how difficult it is to obtain a D&T ticket for a 2,000 seat theatre venue? I thought I won the Lotto when I was able to get seats to both nights of Oakland. Going to amphitheaters is going to make your chances of getting in the first 20 rows (with a face-value ticket) many times greater. People are happy to get in the door for a D&T theater show. So if you land somewhere in the first 20 rows (requesting orchestra reserved), and sound degradation doesn't matter as much when you're closer up, isn't that a better-than-acceptable trade-off? And if you're on the lawn, well, that's your own fault
    Old 01-21-2017, 06:18 AM   #115
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    I'm hearing comments about how amphitheaters will suck for this tour. For those making that point, are you considering how difficult it is to obtain a D&T ticket for a 2,000 seat theatre venue? I thought I won the Lotto when I was able to get seats to both nights of Oakland. Going to amphitheaters is going to make your chances of getting in the first 20 rows (with a face-value ticket) many times greater. People are happy to get in the door for a D&T theater show. So if you land somewhere in the first 20 rows (requesting orchestra reserved), and sound degradation doesn't matter as much when you're closer up, isn't that a better-than-acceptable trade-off? And if you're on the lawn, well, that's your own fault
    They don't have to play 3k theaters like Oakland and New Orleans.

The Texas theaters they're playing are 6k; and I'd bet there are plenty more around that size around the country. Texas tickets haven't been even remotely difficult to get.
    Old 01-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #116
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post

The Texas theaters they're playing are 6k; and I'd bet there are plenty more around that size around the country. Texas tickets haven't been even remotely difficult to get.
    Yeah, I'd be ok with 6k seat theaters...fair point. I backread the Texas tour thread and it seems like a pattern I see is the WH alternates ticket quality if you request more than one night. For example, N1 gets closer, while N2 is further back. Or more biased, N1 you get a ticket, but get denied N2. This happened to me with Oakland, and I saw many posts in the Texas thread that led me to this observation. So your response is good news, which means a 12k venue should be even easier to get decent seats. Or maybe the ticket 'gods' will be up to their normal allocation shenanigans. We'll see.
    Old 01-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #117
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post

Out of the 257 'music venues' in the US (2k-15k in seating capacity), there are 33 venues in the 5,000-7,000 seat range. Of those, only 11 are classic 'theatres' as opposed to arenas. So there really aren't that many in that range. Chastain fell in that range, so if I compare that to Verizon Alpharetta, I'd go with 12k Verizon, because I hate the idiots at the pit tables talking throughout the show and I still think my chances of getting closer to the stage are going to be better at Verizon. The acoustics aren't going to be that much better at Chastain, so if I'm getting closer to the stage, who cares about the smaller venue thing?

I would much rather see them at the 4.7k Fox theatre, but I know it would be much more difficult to get close to the stage (without robbing a bank). I agree with the smaller venue argument, but I don't think the available venues in the US in that size range support it much.
    Old 01-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #118
    laverwater

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan4ever View Post
    "That year off? 13 shows as a part of a massive summer-long "Dave Matthews Band Caravan" traveling festival. Logistically about as daunting as a full summer tour."

In no way is doing 4 3-night runs as daunting as 40 shows in 15-20+ cities. Sure there's dealings with coordinating other bands, but DMB the band has nothing to do with that.

This dude seemed like he was desperate for a story. While I'd like to agree that a year off would breathe new life into the band, how do we know what Dave needs? Maybe D&T tours will give him a fresh look at his catalog. Maybe some other events could take place and change the shape of the band going into next year. Maybe he'll come out with a great album and we'll stop complaining for a day or two.

Truth is, people need to give up on the dream of varied setlists like GD, Phish, Panic, etc. DMB has never really done that, outside of not playing repeats on a 2- or 3-day run. We also know Dave has never really been that great at writing setlists either. It would be awesome to see the band show more appreciation toward the hardcore following fanbase, but until then, a few shows a year will do.
    laverwater is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #119
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

My Tour Central Stats

I'd definitely prefer the Fox Theater in Oakland as opposed to the Greek Theater in Berkeley.
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #120
    TurboPGT

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I think its REALLY cool that they are doing this, but - I'm going to have to skip out for the first time in 19 years because there is no way I'm going to see a D&T show at PNC. It's going to be absolute shit show with the type of "fans" that turn out. I'll wait for the tape.
    TurboPGT is offline   Reply With Quote