Whiskey drinker's thread - Page 24 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #691
MDPrompter
Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Whiskey drinker's thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman414 View Post
Really been loving Whistle Pig lately. I went away from it for awhile, but got a few bottles for Christmas and couldn't be happier.
I passed on a boss hog when I was in St Louis for xmas. Couldn't pull the trigger at $350. Got two of my favs instead which I think are both 2 of the best QPRs in bourbon...Stagg Jr and Pikesville Rye...along with some Absinthe all for about half of what that boss hog costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
what's a good scotch in the $75 range? got a friend coming in who likes it, I'm a bourbon guy myself
Quote:
If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, this one is fantastic. And as a bourbon drinker myself, it was a scotch I really enjoyed. http://www.aberlour.com/us/range/aberlour-abunadh/
MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #692
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I do appreciate the advice...but given that I posted a picture from inside my kitchen, I think the smoke has cleared post-trigger pull
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #693
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I do appreciate the advice...but given that I posted a picture from inside my kitchen, I think the smoke has cleared post-trigger pull
    Ha! Missed that the "Thank You" was a link! Good choices there, though.
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #694
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you're not big on scotch - that was the perfect pick. Enjoy
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #695
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

thanks! great advice on the brand and blind luck on the pick within the brand
    Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #696
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Become obsessed with bourbon and whiskey over the past couple years, especially since this spring when I started losing a bunch of weight and cut way back on the beer. Currently in rotation in my bar:

Breckenridge
    Angel's Envy
    Straight Edge (6 and 16 year rye blend aged in wine barrels)
    Blade & Bow
    A Midwinter Night's Dram (Act 4, Scene 2 bottle)
    Basil Hayden's
    George Dickel Barrel Select
    Larceny
    Buffalo Trace

And not a HUGE Scotch guy but I like to have a bottle on hand so I've got some Glenfiddich 12 year for an occasional sip.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #697
    thedak

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.flickr.com/photos/298083...92954/sizes/c/
    thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #698
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Got an email at work today about how our brand Monkey Shoulder was recently named the #1 Trending Scotch Whisky by Drink’s International 50 Best Bars for the third year in a row!

Has anyone ever tried it? I have only worked here a little over 2 weeks so I have not had the chance to try all of our brands yet
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #699
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Become obsessed with bourbon and whiskey over the past couple years, especially since this spring when I started losing a bunch of weight and cut way back on the beer. Currently in rotation in my bar:

Breckenridge
    Angel's Envy
    Straight Edge (6 and 16 year rye blend aged in wine barrels)
    Blade & Bow
    A Midwinter Night's Dram (Act 4, Scene 2 bottle)
    Basil Hayden's
    George Dickel Barrel Select
    Larceny
    Buffalo Trace

And not a HUGE Scotch guy but I like to have a bottle on hand so I've got some Glenfiddich 12 year for an occasional sip.
    picked up scene 3 while i was out in Park City this month. Shhhhh, i like it better than Macallan 12

Last edited by unccrombie; 01-18-2017 at 07:46 AM.
    unccrombie is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #700
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    Got an email at work today about how our brand Monkey Shoulder was recently named the #1 Trending Scotch Whisky by Drink’s International 50 Best Bars for the third year in a row!

Has anyone ever tried it? I have only worked here a little over 2 weeks so I have not had the chance to try all of our brands yet
    I'm not a huge fan of blended malts, so Monkey Shoulder and JW Green are pretty much no-gos for me, unless I have to.

I have noticed a lot more cocktails being made with Monkey Shoulder, at least here in NYC, so maybe that's why it's trending. I'm not in the booze biz but I'm assuming trending just means sales increase, not total sales.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #701
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yum, did you try the Caribbean Cask? I haven't tried that one but aim to this year.
    Old 01-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #702
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of blended malts, so Monkey Shoulder and JW Green are pretty much no-gos for me, unless I have to.

I have noticed a lot more cocktails being made with Monkey Shoulder, at least here in NYC, so maybe that's why it's trending. I'm not in the booze biz but I'm assuming trending just means sales increase, not total sales.
    I prefer single-malts as well. I can't recall having any cocktails with whiskey in them though. I would be willing to try it out. Of our brands, Monkey Shoulder would not be the first I would go to. That said, I hope to try all of our brands soon!
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    Old 01-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #703
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Yum, did you try the Caribbean Cask? I haven't tried that one but aim to this year.
    I did--I really really enjoyed it but you're talking to someone who has exclusively drank bourbon for a decade now so it's akin to asking someone how the crash reissue was after they listened on a crosley
    Old 01-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #704
    zajDmB1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I prefer single-malts as well. I can't recall having any cocktails with whiskey in them though. I would be willing to try it out. Of our brands, Monkey Shoulder would not be the first I would go to. That said, I hope to try all of our brands soon!
    Yea, I like plenty of blended whiskey, but blended malts are a bit heavy for me. Single malts definitely my go to but some of my favorite whiskeys are blended.

And I'm sure you've had cocktails with whiskey...I mean, besides bar-unique ones, you've got your Old Fashions, Manhattans, Rusty Nails, Godfather, etc.
    Old 01-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #705
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yea, I like plenty of blended whiskey, but blended malts are a bit heavy for me. Single malts definitely my go to but some of my favorite whiskeys are blended.

And I'm sure you've had cocktails with whiskey...I mean, besides bar-unique ones, you've got your Old Fashions, Manhattans, Rusty Nails, Godfather, etc.
    Old fashion! Yup, how could I forget!
    Old 01-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #706
    zajDmB1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Old fashion! Yup, how could I forget!
    What's your job exactly? And do you work out of Scotland?

EDIT: Nevermind, assuming not since you list NJ
    Old 01-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #707
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

My Tour Central Stats

Been doing whisky sours lately. I feel like those are kind of hit or miss...but I'm digging my current mixture.

What I can't decide is if the egg white is necessary.
    Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #708
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

I make a variation on an Amaretto Sour every now and again, if you have the time...it's bloody great.

For three drinks:

6oz Amaretto
    2 Oranges
    1 Lemon
    1 Lime

Squeeze the juices of the fruit into a shaker, add ice, add the Amaretto, shake, pour into Martini glasses.

So good, very refreshing, but quite a bit of effort for something that goes down so damned quickly.
    Old 01-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #709
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What's your job exactly? And do you work out of Scotland?

EDIT: Nevermind, assuming not since you list NJ
    I'm a process engineer at the Edison, NJ WG&S site. At this site we currently batch and package Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum and Clan MacGregor blended scotch. My job basically involves engineering the process of liquid movement from receiving the unfiltered (raw material) batch liquid and moving the liquid into the site to the Vat Hall for processing and eventually packaging (bottling). We are planning on expanded the site to receive more brands here and thus I will be helping to engineer the expansion as well as improve the current process.

I am pretty excited to be working here right now. Can't say I ever expected to be doing this type of job (working with high-end spirits) when I went into engineering!

Last edited by aeroshady; 01-18-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    Old 01-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #710
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    picked up scene 3 while i was out in Park City this month. Shhhhh, i like it better than Macallan 12
    This was my first experience with it. My brother is a GM at a huge liquor place in Colorado and helped my mom pick it out for me as a Christmas gift, but I have been suitably impressed.

I picked up a bottle of Hibiki Harmony from Suntory over the weekend. This is my first foray into the Japanese whiskies. I did a Japanese whiskey flight at the place we went for Xmas dinner and that was one of the 3 and I really enjoyed it. It's like a middle ground between a scotch and a bourbon that hits a lot of the notes of each.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #711
    zajDmB1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm a process engineer at the Edison, NJ WG&S site. At this site we currently batch and package Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum and Clan MacGregor blended scotch. My job basically involves engineering the process of liquid movement from receiving the unfiltered (raw material) batch liquid and moving the liquid into the site to the Vat Hall for processing and eventually packaging (bottling). We are planning on expanded the site to receive more brands here and thus I will be helping to engineer the expansion as well as improve the current process.

I am pretty excited to be working here right now. Can't say I ever expected to be doing this type of job (working with high-end spirits) when I went into engineering!
    Ah, interesting. How does that work though and still call it scotch? To my knowledge, to legally be called scotch you have to do every part of the process in Scotland, including aging 3 years min.

Or do you guys get the raw material, which is more or less young single malt, and then blend it with other types of alcohol here, so that's why it's still allowed to be called blended scotch? Since the malt part was still made in Scotland?
    Old 01-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #712
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ah, interesting. How does that work though and still call it scotch? To my knowledge, to legally be called scotch you have to do every part of the process in Scotland, including aging 3 years min.

Or do you guys get the raw material, which is more or less young single malt, and then blend it with other types of alcohol here, so that's why it's still allowed to be called blended scotch? Since the malt part was still made in Scotland?
    The bold: We only do the final part of the process, meaning that we only batch mix and blend here. All of our "raw materials" are from the native areas. For example, the Clan MacGregor comes here has high-proof (150+ proof) Scotch (aged 3 years) from Scotland. It is then blended and mixed until it reaches its final 80 proof here in NJ.

The Sailor Jerry is also coming here as high-proof rum (168 proof) and high proof blender (around 180 proof) directly from the Caribbean. It is then batched, flavored and colored here. It also is diluted down to the 92 proof we sell it as.

So basically we put the final touches on the product here in NJ, but the main distilling happens in Scotland or the Caribbean for the high-proof product we receive here.

Last edited by aeroshady; 01-18-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    Old 01-19-2017, 04:21 AM   #713
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    This was my first experience with it. My brother is a GM at a huge liquor place in Colorado and helped my mom pick it out for me as a Christmas gift, but I have been suitably impressed.

I picked up a bottle of Hibiki Harmony from Suntory over the weekend. This is my first foray into the Japanese whiskies. I did a Japanese whiskey flight at the place we went for Xmas dinner and that was one of the 3 and I really enjoyed it. It's like a middle ground between a scotch and a bourbon that hits a lot of the notes of each.
    if your ever near Park City, check out the High West Blue Sky Ranch.

side note on High West, they just sold to Constellation Brands. So expect wider distribution, the loss of their hand blown bottles, and a single malt american whiskey.
    unccrombie is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #714
    thedak

My Tour Central Stats

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/266/31...ec317a85_c.jpg
    Old 01-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #715
    thedak

My Tour Central Stats

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/342/31...45455daf_c.jpg
    Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #716
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedak View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedak View Post
    How were they?
    Old 01-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #717
    thedak

My Tour Central Stats

WT Forgiven has grown on me.

Newest batch is much better to me than the older OG batch.

First time I've had OBSV and it might be my new favorite Mash from 4R.
    Old 01-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #718
    thedak

My Tour Central Stats

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/648/32...0156ff98_c.jpg
    Old 01-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #719
    thedak

My Tour Central Stats

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/369/32...fbda928e_c.jpg
    Old 01-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #720
    zajDmB1

My Tour Central Stats

Got a bottle of Writer's Tears Irish whiskey for my bday a couple weeks ago. Finally busted it open, it's pretty good. Haven't looked up the price but doubt it's that expensive, probably like $30-40 range depending where you are. It's a lot smoother and cleaner than standard Jamesons, etc. Worth trying if you ever come across it.