Album is finished!! - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #151
ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Album is finished!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfb View Post
It seems to be a bit of a common theme nowadays for bands to all of a sudden release a new album without any promotion, prior announcement, etc. Radiohead did it with their most recent album, there have been a few others as well. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I'm hoping this will be the case for the new DMB album and one of these days we'll wake up to a very very special surprise from the band.
Lillywhite said there was footage. Meaning there must be some sort of documentary of the album whether its big and massive (like Road to Big Whiskey) or just kind of small and will come with the album (Like scenes from Big Whiskey.) Either way, with this info, and that they are selecting a single NOW, and the idea that DMB sells really well and are about to break a record- I just believe that there will be a promotion stage for a couple months to get the album bought.
ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #152
    bobloblaw

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    Lillywhite said there was footage. Meaning there must be some sort of documentary of the album whether its big and massive (like Road to Big Whiskey) or just kind of small and will come with the album (Like scenes from Big Whiskey.) Either way, with this info, and that they are selecting a single NOW, and the idea that DMB sells really well and are about to break a record- I just believe that there will be a promotion stage for a couple months to get the album bought.
    It's a shame they are still with RCA. You'd think, given their history (starting up via word of mouth and tape trading), that they would be at least as innovative as Radiohead. Instead, they're still tied to making a killing for record company executives who tell them what to do.
    bobloblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #153
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

^ New favorite username.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #154
    ElijahSoRight72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    ^ New favorite username.

Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else

noticed?
    Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #155
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
    It's a shame they are still with RCA. You'd think, given their history (starting up via word of mouth and tape trading), that they would be at least as innovative as Radiohead. Instead, they're still tied to making a killing for record company executives who tell them what to do.
    Except that they signed a contract. Therefore, they owe whats left of the contract...
    Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #156
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes View Post
    Reported. I don't care what your thoughts are on my thoughts, but this is above and beyond inappropriate. Thanks.

However, with the release date of LiveTrax 22 now known, I think there is a great chance that the album release will coincide with that.
    always right with your predictions
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #157
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
    you should write a law blog.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #158
    ToddJoyride
    ain't got no shins

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

i wish less people were on radiohead's dick..
    ToddJoyride is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #159
    ElijahSoRight72

My Tour Central Stats

I don't know if this means anything, but Matchbox Twenty is coming out with a new album this year as well- and according to Rob Thomas, the album is done and mixing. Same pace as DMB technically. And their album is coming out in the fall (September). Also, they have a single coming in June. I guess it's not as uncommon as we had hoped for a band to sit on an album for a while.
    Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #160
    #40BigEyedFish

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post
    you should write a law blog.
    And call it "Bob Lobaw Law Blog"

Come on!!!
    #40BigEyedFish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #161
    westwingjl

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't know if this means anything, but Matchbox Twenty is coming out with a new album this year as well- and according to Rob Thomas, the album is done and mixing. Same pace as DMB technically. And their album is coming out in the fall (September). Also, they have a single coming in June. I guess it's not as uncommon as we had hoped for a band to sit on an album for a while.
    This same exact situation with The Wallflowers. Mixing now, release planned for September.
    westwingjl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #162
    MColin28

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by westwingjl View Post
    This same exact situation with The Wallflowers. Mixing now, release planned for September.
    Man,what a bummer. Seems like such a dick move to do given a finished product is signed,sealed and delivered in a few days! Also,fuck management for promoting the tour as an album tour!! Terrible marketing in DMB camp. They're gonna be on the Today show in August reportedly with nothing to say "go pick it up". Very very let down. Seems we were in same stage w BW but it was out much earlier.
    Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #163
    ElijahSoRight72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MColin28 View Post
    Man,what a bummer. Seems like such a dick move to do given a finished product is signed,sealed and delivered in a few days! Also,fuck management for promoting the tour as an album tour!! Terrible marketing in DMB camp. They're gonna be on the Today show in August reportedly with nothing to say "go pick it up". Very very let down. Seems we were in same stage w BW but it was out much earlier.
    I thought this too. Oh well. If we can get a single as early as next month or June, its not too bad.
    Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #164
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

dispatches album comes out august 21st and they just released their single. but theyve also been sitting on it since about february...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #165
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #40BigEyedFish View Post
    And call it "Bob Lobaw Law Blog"

Come on!!!
    theres always money in a law blog!
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #166
    MtSkier
    #trynottosuck

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I love the "terrible marketing" comments, as if most of the people posting on this forum have any idea how marketing for an album works.
    MtSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #167
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Well with all those other albums coming out in the fall, why would management wait until then to put it out? All the more reason to put it out early!!!!

I just want new music...
    Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #168
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To be fair, I haven't seen this tour as being promoted as an "album tour." The marketing for the tour simply says 2012 Summer Tour.

That said, I understand your frustration/impatience at the lack of news and wait. It could still come out before or shortly after the (rumored) Today Show appearance. We just don't know.
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #169
    ToddJoyride
    ain't got no shins

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MtSkier View Post
    I love the "terrible marketing" comments, as if most of the people posting on this forum have any idea how marketing for an album works.
    honestly, as much as i want this album RIGHT MEOW, i don't think it's poor marketing, the only thing i didn't think was smart was rashawn's comments in that trumpet company video, he really told us how far along they were, which just started a fucking frenzy around here, there's just too much info out there on the interwebz, and it just makes us that much more impatient.. ignorance is bliss..
    ToddJoyride is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #170
    MColin28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dramageek View Post
    To be fair, I haven't seen this tour as being promoted as an "album tour." The marketing for the tour simply says 2012 Summer Tour.

That said, I understand your frustration/impatience at the lack of news and wait. It could still come out before or shortly after the (rumored) Today Show appearance. We just don't know.
    It was said to be promoting the new album. It was a part of the press release. I didn't save a copy,so maybe someone can add a link or image to prove it?
    Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #171
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You say this like you know exactly what all the setlists for the tour are, and when the album is coming out
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #172
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    When did they promote this as 'an album tour'? All they ever said was they were 'working on a new album'. It's not like BW (I think they learned their lesson) where the spring tour was definitely promoted as an album release with MSG being THE show.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #173
    MColin28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    You say this like you know exactly what all the setlists for the tour are, and when the album is coming out
    I do not know the sets.....I did know a lot about the process and timeframes of the studio sessions. I know that they weren't looking at a fall release when started the process last year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    When did they promote this as 'an album tour'? All they ever said was they were 'working on a new album'. It's not like BW (I think they learned their lesson) where the spring tour was definitely promoted as an album release with MSG being THE show.
    It was a part of the press release in early April. As stated above, I don't have the actual release; I think someone posted it a few pages back. However, they did promote the tour as for the album and it would be "out this summer". That is why I said "fuck marketing". They shouldn't have opened their mouths about it then....
    Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #174
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I do not know the sets.....I did know a lot about the process and timeframes of the studio sessions. I know that they weren't looking at a fall release when started the process last year.

It was a part of the press release in early April. As stated above, I don't have the actual release; I think someone posted it a few pages back. However, they did promote the tour as for the album and it would be "out this summer". That is why I said "fuck marketing". They shouldn't have opened their mouths about it then....
    I think you may have looked at that wrong... They most certainly did not indicate when it would be out. Check the attached...

This is pretty much the only 'official' thing they have sent out. Yes, it was in the same email with the Tour Announcement... but they always bundle news in their emails.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg newstudioalbum_banner.jpg (42.1 KB, 84 views)
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.

Last edited by drop2d; 05-01-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #175
    bigbeartilidie

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

The only promoting info I remember receiving was somebody on these boards. I think they called Warehouse and asked if this tour would be promoting the new album, and they replied yes.
    Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #176
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

There was a press release that someone got and it was posted but I don't remember it saying album tour but it did say album due out later this summer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #177
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    There was a press release that someone got and it was posted but I don't remember it saying album tour but it did say album due out later this summer.
    I think I remember seeing that... but it wasn't sent in an email by management. For all we know, whoever posted it could've just made it up.
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.
    Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #178
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I remember seeing a tv commercial for the tour before the public on sale date. Only real briefly at the end they mentioned "New studio album coming soon." Other than Rashawn's words we are not certain when the album will be out. He could be wrong. The speculation has always been late July at the earliest. Let's not lose our shit just yet, at least until we hear something official.
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #179
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    I think I remember seeing that... but it wasn't sent in an email by management. For all we know, whoever posted it could've just made it up.
    I had thought that too but looked into it and it seemed legit and the contact information was their PR people. People have gone to great lengths to make shit up but this was more than that imo. I don't think they were lying just like they weren't lying in 09 about BW coming out in April. Things just get pushed back. Probably why they have left actual dates off of it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...iatus-20120215

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #180
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

People seem to be giving timelines of other bands so I'll throw one out there that could lend some credence to a later rather than sooner release. Just last year Dream Theater completed an album and had it wrapped by the end of April. The first single was released in June and the album wasn't released until September. (they also did an entire summer tour).
    Generally, when the band is 'finished' they have very little control over its release. It's up to the record company and where it fits in their schedule if promotion.
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.