***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread*** - Page 437 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-17-2017, 05:34 AM   #13081
jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat View Post
I am sure you already know, but your wish was not heard... Bayern v Real Madrid.

Just got to work and found out. Shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman68 View Post
The idiot responsible for those disasters is thankfully no longer in charge at Bayern.......
Here's hoping for a different result this year!

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #13082
    mrignatious

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread***

pep being an idiot. That's an amazing take.
    mrignatious is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-18-2017, 05:37 AM   #13083
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrignatious View Post
    To be fair, I think he is a little overrated. He is being exposed a bit at Shitty right now!
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #13084
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So throwing out a hypothetical scenario here... If both Leicester and ManU win their respective European cup competitions, how will that effect the top 4 and UCL placements for next season? Will the EPL only send first and second place to the UCL along with Leicester and ManU, then third, fourth and ??? will go to Europa? Or will one of the top 4 enter in the playoffs for UCL? Last season, Sevilla won Europa so La Liga had 4 in the main group stage, with Villareal entering in the playoff round, and ultimately losing to Monaco in that round. So curious to see how this would play out in the unlikely scenario that Leicester and ManU win their respective European cup competitions.
    In your scenario, 5 teams will go. 1st, 2nd and 3rd plus LC all go to UCL group and ManU (assuming they don't finish in the top 4) go into UCL playoffs. 4th place will then go to Europa.

Last edited by Ascf33; 03-20-2017 at 07:46 AM.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #13085
    monkeyman68

Shows Seen: 59

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Guessing you didn't watch many Bayern games with Pep as the coach.....
    monkeyman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #13086
    mrignatious

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Guessing you didn't watch many Bayern games with Pep as the coach.....
    I most certainly did.

You would be hard pressed to find 3 teams in the world that wouldn't be thrilled to have him as manager. He wasn't a fit culturally at bayern, no one to blame really. He who he is and a club with a history that rich isnt going to change their identity for one man.

Definitely an elite manager with probably the most brilliant "soccer mind" this generation.
    Old 03-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #13087
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I most certainly did.

You would be hard pressed to find 3 teams in the world that wouldn't be thrilled to have him as manager. He wasn't a fit culturally at bayern, no one to blame really. He who he is and a club with a history that rich isnt going to change their identity for one man.

Definitely an elite manager with probably the most brilliant "soccer mind" this generation.
    I agree with the first bold part a lot. A lot of people don't understand that about Bayern. They are one of the biggest clubs in the world, but have managed to remain very German, and really Bavarian. Their roster is full of players that need to "fit" in with the culture of the team and the fans. They attend Okotberfest and are very involved in the region. I do believe that Pep just didn't fit in there. This is a common thing that happens with Bayern's managers.

I am not so sure I agree with the second bold part. I am also not saying it is incorrect either though. I am of the school of thought that he has benefited from having amazing rosters to manage in leagues that really only have 2-3 real competitive teams to face. I am withholding judgement until he manages for a few years in the EPL first. It is a great test for him.
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    Old 03-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #13088
    monkeyman68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I most certainly did.

It is easy to fool people into thinking that you have the "most brilliant soccer mind this generation" when you have Messi on your roster.

Pep was brought to Bayern to win the UCL. He failed to do that with a team that had just won the treble.

Pep tearfully apologized to Bayern in the locker room immediate after they lost 5-0 to Real in '14 and said it was the worst managing he ever did (his words not mine).

He managed to top that idiotic performance in '15 when he went into the first leg of the tie (at Camp Nou, mind you) and decided the best chance Bayern had to advance was to play a back three and MAN MARK Messi, Neymar, and Sauarez. Bayern lost 3-0 and the tie was over before they even played in Munich. Genius!

He followed that gem up with the decision to start the first leg away at Atletico without starting Muller when an away goal would have seen Bayern through to the finals.

What a mind!

Let's not forget his regular struggles against the top teams in the Bundesliga year in and year out......

Good bye and good riddance to the most brilliant soccer mind of his generation. No surprise that Man City is out of the UCL already
    Old 03-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #13089
    mrignatious

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It is easy to fool people into thinking that you have the "most brilliant soccer mind this generation" when you have Messi on your roster.

Pep was brought to Bayern to win the UCL. He failed to do that with a team that had just won the treble.

Pep tearfully apologized to Bayern in the locker room immediate after they lost 5-0 to Real in '14 and said it was the worst managing he ever did (his words not mine).

He managed to top that idiotic performance in '15 when he went into the first leg of the tie (at Camp Nou, mind you) and decided the best chance Bayern had to advance was to play a back three and MAN MARK Messi, Neymar, and Sauarez. Bayern lost 3-0 and the tie was over before they even played in Munich. Genius!

He followed that gem up with the decision to start the first leg away at Atletico without starting Muller when an away goal would have seen Bayern through to the finals.

What a mind!

Let's not forget his regular struggles against the top teams in the Bundesliga year in and year out......

Good bye and good riddance to the most brilliant soccer mind of his generation. No surprise that Man City is out of the UCL already
    If you're truly upset that in three tries he made it to the semis and crashed out at Bayern, then I understand that. By any manager's standards three straight league titles and three straight trips to the semis is pretty damn great. But to act as though that is the reason he has one of the best minds in world soccer, or wouldn't be welcomed by nearly any club in the world as manager is silly.

Bear in mind that Barcelona, Real and Atletico are THE teams to beat in the Champions League right now. I wouldn't ever argue that he's a perfect manager that gets it right 100% of the time. As you said his decision to leave Muller on the bench was questionable (although he missed a penalty that would've put them through in the 2nd leg). I would stand by his decision to go 3 at the back in the Barcelona game and the 4-0 at Real is a tough one due the fact that Ramos nabbed two goals early on.

I don't think Bayern would be having the success they are this season had Pep not been there the last three. They play the ball out from the back extremely well, Xabi is still a force in the midfield, and it isn't a coincidence that Thiago has developed into an elite midfielder who can win the ball back, pressure well, get out of tight areas, and is an amazing passer.

I think all things considered he would be pleased with how his first year is unfolding at City. They're a point or two behind Tottenham for 2nd and have gotten better and better as the year has progressed, although I think Gundogan being out has really hurt them in the midfield. I wouldn't be surprised at all if next year they are in a similar position as Chelsea are this season, assuming they don't have too many problems with injuries.
    Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #13090
    mrignatious

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    I agree with the first bold part a lot. A lot of people don't understand that about Bayern. They are one of the biggest clubs in the world, but have managed to remain very German, and really Bavarian. Their roster is full of players that need to "fit" in with the culture of the team and the fans. They attend Okotberfest and are very involved in the region. I do believe that Pep just didn't fit in there. This is a common thing that happens with Bayern's managers.

I am not so sure I agree with the second bold part. I am also not saying it is incorrect either though. I am of the school of thought that he has benefited from having amazing rosters to manage in leagues that really only have 2-3 real competitive teams to face. I am withholding judgement until he manages for a few years in the EPL first. It is a great test for him.
    Well of course he's had amazing rosters to manage, the elite managers almost always do. But what he was able to accomplish at Barcelona, and even more so the way it was accomplished (by expanding on ideas already entrenched there as a result of Cruyff's time with the club), sent ripples throughout Europe.

I think it's easy and even a little cheap to criticize his philosophy by saying "well possession isn't everything" but it's an idea that is really at the core of the way his teams play. Sure he had an amazing group of players at Barcelona, but I've never seen a team that was able to control a game the way they would. They might lose but it was almost always on their terms.
    Old 03-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #13091
    monkeyman68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you're truly upset that in three tries he made it to the semis and crashed out at Bayern, then I understand that. By any manager's standards three straight league titles and three straight trips to the semis is pretty damn great. But to act as though that is the reason he has one of the best minds in world soccer, or wouldn't be welcomed by nearly any club in the world as manager is silly.

Bear in mind that Barcelona, Real and Atletico are THE teams to beat in the Champions League right now. I wouldn't ever argue that he's a perfect manager that gets it right 100% of the time. As you said his decision to leave Muller on the bench was questionable (although he missed a penalty that would've put them through in the 2nd leg). I would stand by his decision to go 3 at the back in the Barcelona game and the 4-0 at Real is a tough one due the fact that Ramos nabbed two goals early on.

I don't think Bayern would be having the success they are this season had Pep not been there the last three. They play the ball out from the back extremely well, Xabi is still a force in the midfield, and it isn't a coincidence that Thiago has developed into an elite midfielder who can win the ball back, pressure well, get out of tight areas, and is an amazing passer.

I think all things considered he would be pleased with how his first year is unfolding at City. They're a point or two behind Tottenham for 2nd and have gotten better and better as the year has progressed, although I think Gundogan being out has really hurt them in the midfield. I wouldn't be surprised at all if next year they are in a similar position as Chelsea are this season, assuming they don't have too many problems with injuries.
    Just so we are clear.....

You think using Boateng (not noted for speed), Benatia (not noted for speed) and Rafinha (who is well.....Rafinha) to man mark Messi/Suarez/Neymar when you are on the road and are looking to score an away goal and damage control at the back end is the best strategy to advance to the UCL finals?

If you watched that game, I'm sure you remember that if it wasn't for Neuer it would have been about 5-0....at half time.

To me, the above is a great example of why Pep is an idiot.

To you, that decision makes sense.

Agree to disagree
    Old 03-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #13092
    mrignatious

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just so we are clear.....

You think using Boateng (not noted for speed), Benatia (not noted for speed) and Rafinha (who is well.....Rafinha) to man mark Messi/Suarez/Neymar when you are on the road and are looking to score an away goal and damage control at the back end is the best strategy to advance to the UCL finals?

If you watched that game, I'm sure you remember that if it wasn't for Neuer it would have been about 5-0....at half time.

To me, the above is a great example of why Pep is an idiot.

To you, that decision makes sense.

Agree to disagree
    And yet...it was 0-0 after 75 minutes.

Even if I were to agree with you, you can't honestly believe that one game proves that he is an idiot. I'm going to need more than that
    Old 03-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #13093
    monkeyman68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And yet...it was 0-0 after 75 minutes.

Even if I were to agree with you, you can't honestly believe that one game proves that he is an idiot. I'm going to need more than that
    Thanks to Neuer....not Pep.

I dunno what to tell you. Pep is judged by what he does in the big games. Bayern had the talent to win the UCL all three of his years. Pep's "strength" are his tactics. His tactics were 0-3 in the biggest games of the season (all of which I pointed out to you and all of which are pretty glaring for someone who is a supposed tactical genius).

Pep won with Messi. Great.

You would be hard pressed to find a single Bayern fan who will say he is a tactical genius or the best coaching mind of his generation.

Pep's UCL debut with Man City went pretty much exactly like I thought it would.

Can't wait to see how long he lasts in the BPL
    Old 03-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #13094
    mrignatious

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks to Neuer....not Pep.

I dunno what to tell you. Pep is judged by what he does in the big games. Bayern had the talent to win the UCL all three of his years. Pep's "strength" are his tactics. His tactics were 0-3 in the biggest games of the season (all of which I pointed out to you and all of which are pretty glaring for someone who is a supposed tactical genius).

Pep won with Messi. Great.

You would be hard pressed to find a single Bayern fan who will say he is a tactical genius or the best coaching mind of his generation.

Pep's UCL debut with Man City went pretty much exactly like I thought it would.

Can't wait to see how long he lasts in the BPL
    so, essentially my initial argument that he never did and was never going to fit in culturally at Bayern is yours for saying he's an idiot?

And he'll last another 2-4 years at City before he retires, more than likely. I'm sure he'll get it wrong on occasion, maybe even in the semis next year. But he will be successful.
    Old 03-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #13095
    monkeyman68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    so, essentially my initial argument that he never did and was never going to fit in culturally at Bayern is yours for saying he's an idiot?

And he'll last another 2-4 years at City before he retires, more than likely. I'm sure he'll get it wrong on occasion, maybe even in the semis next year. But he will be successful.
    Geez.......

Yes, Pep did not fit in with Bayern.

Pep inherited a treble winning team and had, all three years at Bayern, a team capable of winning the UCL.

2014- As defending champs, Bayern fall to Real 5-0 and lost 4-0 at home in the second leg. Pep said the loss was his responsibility and it was the worst coaching performance of his career.

0-1

2015- Pep decides to man mark arguably the greatest attacking trio with players who are not noted for their speed. This was UNIVERSALLY viewed as an extreme tactical blunder. Bayern end up losing 3-0 in the first leg making the second leg irrelevant back at Munich.

0-2

2016- Pep does not start Muller away at Atletico (Muller who scored at least 40 goals in all competitions that year) in the first leg. Bayern score an away goal (which increases tremendously if Muller is in the lineup) Bayern advance to the UCL Finals.

0-3

Glaring mistakes above. So glaring, I would be more inclined to refer to the offended manager as an idiot than a tactical genius.

Pep's accolades come from his success at Barca.....with Messi and an out of the world team it is pretty easy to look like a tactical genius.
    Old 03-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #13096
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

So, did we decide if the guy who's won 72% of his games, the league title in 8 of 9 seasons, 4 domestic cups, 9 other trophies and 2 Champions League titles is any good?
    Old 03-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #13097
    mrignatious

My Tour Central Stats

I'm starting to think that, generally speaking, he's an idiot because monkeyman didn't agree with his decisions in 3 games.
    Old 03-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #13098
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

lol Messi lol

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #13099
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42graystreet View Post
    So, did we decide if the guy who's won 72% of his games, the league title in 8 of 9 seasons, 4 domestic cups, 9 other trophies and 2 Champions League titles is any good?
    Not yet. England is a different beast.

On an unrelated note, I am looking forward to seeing Bastian Schweinsteiger play in person this year! Don't care much for the Fire, but I do love Schweiny!
    Old 03-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #13100
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

On an unrelated note, I am looking forward to seeing Bastian Schweinsteiger play in person this year! Don't care much for the Fire, but I do love Schweiny!
    Equally as excited about Schweinsteiger. Chicago visits the Red Bulls April 29th and I already have a ticket secured.
    Old 03-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #13101
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Equally as excited about Schweinsteiger. Chicago visits the Red Bulls April 29th and I already have a ticket secured.
    Also the game I will be at!
    Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 AM   #13102
    panini2001
    DMBritain

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This. Although we haven't necessarily got the best teams in Europe individually I think we have the best 20 teams in one league (out of all the other European leagues) if that makes sense.

Pep is finding out that every week is a battle of epic proportions whereas at Barca and Bayern games are guaranteed wins in a lot of cases.

He's good though.
    Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 AM   #13103
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42graystreet View Post
    Certainly an impressive record, but isn't winning La Liga with Barca and the Bundesliga with Bayern kind of like when the Detroit Red Wings beat up Stan Marsh's hockey team?

Anyway, I saw this today...

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/fifa/243/p...-to-record-low

Is the USMNT really that bad not to crack the top twenty?

Of course they only tied Panama last night so there's that.
    Old 03-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #13104
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrkarger View Post
    Certainly an impressive record, but isn't winning La Liga with Barca and the Bundesliga with Bayern kind of like when the Detroit Red Wings beat up Stan Marsh's hockey team?

Anyway, I saw this today...

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/fifa/243/p...-to-record-low

Is the USMNT really that bad not to crack the top twenty?

Of course they only tied Panama last night so there's that.
    I believe that FIFA uses some convoluted algorithm that only takes into account results of "competitive" games. So anything you do in friendlies doesn't influence this ranking. Our form in competitive games in the last year:

LWLWWWLLWWLLWD

Nothing too impressive. Our best wins in that run are against Costa Rica (19), Paraguay (43) and Ecuador (22). Those rankings are from the previous month.

Our losses are to Guatemala (79), Columbia (7), Argentina (1), Columbia again (7), Mexico (17) and Costa Rica (19).
    Old 03-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #13105
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

I've just seen that friendlies are taken into account in the rankings but they are weighted the lowest. Competitive games in FIFA sanctioned tournaments and World Cup qualifying are weighted the highest (save for WC games themselves).
    Old 03-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #13106
    mrignatious

My Tour Central Stats

To be frank though, they really are that bad
    Old 03-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #13107
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

A ranking between 20-30 in the world feels about right for this team at the moment.
    Old 03-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #13108
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

I guess it struck me as odd to see Egypt and Wales on there before the US. Although as I type this I recall Wales going deep in last year's Euros. So there's that.
    Old 04-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #13109
    Nick_United

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Eight draws in 15 home games. We should be beating West Brom at home.
    Nick_United is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #13110
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

United are screwed. They just keep drawing. They will need to win the Europa League to get into the CL next season.

Tags
    soccer , uefa